Franconia Dunkel | Franconia Brewing Company

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%

3.72/5  rDev +2.5%

4.25/5  rDev +17.1%

3.44/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A little above your average brew, but as previously stated: not a true dunkel. There isn't much to say in terms of the normal rating system.

A: Pours a dark chocolatey color, with little to no head.
S: Smells like coffee/toffee.
T: Tastes like coffee/toffee.
M: Feels a little like a light stout, a little heavier than a Guinness.
O: It's alright. Franconia started in a town about 15 miles from where I grew up, and now they brew full-time about 20 miles from my current home. Considering that it's available at just about any establishment with a decent selection near me, it's well above the average fare, but not quite good enough that I'd seek it out in particular.

2.31/5  rDev -36.4%

Aroma: Unusual... first thing that pops out is some chocolate, but lots of coffee and roast malt hiding under there. Is this a Coffee Dunkel? I love the aroma, but not in a Dunkel. It's an amazing aroma, and I love it, but it's not "authentic."

Flavor:
Front: Roasted coffee bitterness, and my it's a lot. Not much else here. Good for a coffee stout, but not "Authenitic" Dunkel. Nevertheless, I like it, a lot.

Mid: Bitter, roasted flavors here, coffee and a little toffee, but ditto the "Authentic" comment.

Back: Roasted bitterness, astringency and a lot of it, again. Coffee again, too, crisp, dryness, not bad, but like dull knife, it just ain't cuttin' it as "Authentic."

Aftertaste: Not much but dark, roasted, black malt.

Mouthfeel: Dry, crispness in the back, thick mouthfeel in the mid & front parts. Nice, the best of both worlds.

Overall: I'm not sure how to rate this. Is this a German coffee stout or what? Call it that, and I say I love it. It's not as thick and creamy as say a Mikkeler Black or their other's Coffee Stouts, so it'd be missing that for a great coffee stout. So, it's not a stout, but a coffee-dunkel lager? That would be a great beer. That I'd pay for and in fact, rate it a 4.3 of 5. But an "Authenitic" Dunkel, a 2 of 5. Again, I like this beer; it's just shitty marketing to gullible Texans, I don't like. Strange, eh? I'm really torn here. I need y'all's opinion here.

4.23/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had this many times over the years on draft, but this is my first bottle. The appearance is a bit disappointing... dark brew with a head that quickly fades to almost nothing--not nearly as good as a typical draft pour. The nose, though, is excellent and dead-on for the style, which a rich dark bready scent, a tad toasty, with some lurking caramel. The flavor continues that note, with a great soft complexity of malt taste components, pleasantly nutty and lightly toasty, but never too sweet, though hop bitterness is just enough to balance out the malt.

This isn't a beer I buy in bottle form, for home drinking, but it's definitely one that, if it's available, makes a great companion to a variety of lunch and dinner meals, not just trad german. It goes great with highly spicy thai or indian.

3.25/5  rDev -10.5%