Gobbler Lager | Roy Pitz Brewing Company

Availability: Fall

Added by Kegatron on 09-30-2009

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
3.96/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.77/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.91/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

A group of local imbibers held the #PumpkinChallenge2016 recently, wrapping up on M, 03 Oktober 2016. I then proposed the #OktoberfestChallenge2016 & while I do not know how many participants there are, I am hitting it full bore. Today will be my New OktoBierFest Sunday (Week TBD) with an opportunity to do a horizontal tasting.

From the bottle: "Liquid Art"; "Passionately brewed & bottled in Chambersburg, PA"; "Marzen Style Lager".

I just finished reviewing an Oktoberfest from a brewery to the east of me so to preserve balance in this madness, I am Pop!ping the cap on one from the west, by about 90 miles as opposed to 40 miles. I have known the owners/brewers since just after they opened & I can vouch for their use of the word "Passionately". Let us see how passion translates into this beer.

A Pop! of the cap, an aggro pour & I was off & running (or is it often running, like from the cops?). Ooooweee! If you enjoy head, this Gobbler is going to give it to you! I would up with three-plus fingers of dense, rocky, tawny head with fantastic retention. Color was Copper-Brown (SRM = > 17, < 22) with deep-copper highlights and NE-quality clarity. Nose had a nutty, bready, caramel maltiness and although it struck me as a little sweet, it again took me back to the HomeEc lab in high school. I vividly remember making banana bread for Thanksgiving 1980, but it was nut bread that really got me hooked on baking. The smell of the nuttiness being baked into the bread was utterly enticing! This was so reminiscent of that to the point that I am getting hungry. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not full, but big for the style. The taste was utterly bready, quite sweet with a light nuttiness, but evocative of a loaf of bread coming straight out of the oven, I am stunned by the depth and breadth of the available interpretations of the style which are commercially available! Finish was a bit more sweet than I would prefer, but I could easily see this as a nice accompaniment to Thanksgiving dressing with cranberry sauce on the side.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.25

3.84/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a very thin off white color head. Looks to be a deep caramel color when held up to the light. Smells quite malty with notes of hops. Initial taste resembles an Octoberfest but hoppier and has that crisp lager finish. A nice spin on a Marzen. Worth a try

Pours dark and copper with big head. Spice and malty smell with hint of smoke. I really like this good stuff. Spread it around.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a Libbey style pilsner glass.

Thick aggressive head, with three fingers deep of rocky foam and swiss cheese bubbles. Thick retention and a giant mountain cap, quite large for a Marzen, but does eventually settle. Rusty brown and deep dark chestnut body color, with very fine carbonation coming up in waves. Neat looking a bit overkill but nice.

Very interesting nose. Lots of toasty grain aromas more like a brown ale, thick dark bread crust with a real nice classic caramel note coming behind it. Very nicely balanced and almost gives to a nutty quality as well together. Dry grain. Hopefully doesn't get to acrid or grainy on the palate, but might hint at that.

Flavors are really taking a back seat with a very unexpected mouthfeel. Very mineral and wet palate, almost club soda like flavors and copper pennies slightly but also some good qualities. There's a bit of milky chocolate in the mid palate that goes along with some of the caramel as well making and excellent unexpected combination. Lots of brown bread toast on the finish, with just a little bit of drying grain quality. Dry toast really lingers, but also gets a touch rusty and ferrous as well.

A combination of great characters with some minor faults. A good unique marzen is lurking in here somewhere wanting to get out.

3.52/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.82/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.19/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

4.04/5  rDev +7.2%

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

3.77/5  rDev 0%

This is another of Roy Pitz's somewhat gender bending lagers. Judging from the dark copper brown tone and the whiffs of sweet darker malts, I was initially expecting a bock. I can sort of see this as a Maerzen/Fest style now but had no information on this beer at all when tasted. It did taste bockish at first but seemed to dry out on me and kind of went down like a schwarz toward the end. It started out with a big head which rapidly dissipated into sparse lace. The Gobbler is a very drinkable beer at 5.5%; well balanced all the way through and goes down easily. Pitz’s lagers are interesting and worth seeking out and I wish these guys had more market penetration; although they get regular rotation in Lititz, which had the Gobbler and Old Jail Ale on. (I also had a short taste of the Old Jail; not nearly as good)

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

At D'z in Swissvale, appears a deep caramel amber hue with a thin white head leaving behind minimal lacing. Aroma has a slight roasted malt charater with hints of nutty caramelization going on. Flavor is crips somewhat malty with a touch of noble hops for balance very nice drinking beer. Mouthfeel is a bit thin I will even call it light bodied nothing cloying extremely clean. Drinkability overall it was sessionable and could have been served in at least 1/2 liter krugs.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Roy Pitz Gobbler Lager has a clear brown body with ruby highlights. The off-white head is a slim ring and doesn't do much in the way of lacing or retention.

The aroma has a good deal of spicy and earthy hops with about an equal amount of caramel flavor.

I'd say that the hops and malt in Gobbler Lager are pretty equally balanced. The hops start off with a little bit of spiciness, which leads into a good dose of caramel malts. Then the hops resurface, this time in a much more powerful fashion with hints of citrus and a really big earthy flavor. Only hints of bitterness.

Moderate body with a good bit of carbonation.

Gobbler Lager isn't really what I expected from an O-fest, but it's a decent beer.

4.02/5  rDev +6.6%

A - A nice dull copper/brown color with a thick (two-inch) off-white head that has decent retention. Some lacing sticks around; I'd say an average amount. This brew is unfiltered/cloudy/hazy.

S - Toasted malt, caramel, earthy hops, grass, and just a hint of fruit (green grapes). Very nice.

T - Starts off with a nice spiciness upfront that fades into caramel sweetness in the middle. A slight hoppiness comes through and along with the malts, result is an interesting (prickly/tangy) finish.

M - Medium to full feel, but the moderate carbonation as well as the previously described tanginess keep this one from becoming too sweet/cloying.

D - I really enjoyed this brew. Flavors and aromas played nicely off of one another and resulted in an enjoyable pint. Unlike some of the other Märzens I've tried, the sweetness in this one never became a deterrent for me. Will definitely be revisiting this one. Prost.

4.64/5  rDev +23.1%

Gobbler lager is my favorite Roy Pitz to date and IMO an exceptional beer... a definite must-try. I look forward to growler refills of this liquid art, sadly those 64oz go all too fast and I am left only with the aroma of my glass to carry me to the next refill. If I had to drink only one beer from now until I die I could go with a smile on my face as long as I had Gobbler lager to take with me.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast