Double Barrel Ale | Sweetwater Tavern & Brewery

3.74/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev -1.6%

3.95/5  rDev +3.7%

I had this one on tap at the Merrifield location.

A: Murky, dark brown in color, with a bit of ruby showing through when I held it up to a light source. The slight beige head died down to nothing within seconds.

S: Caramel, no hoppy bitterness, and with with massive quantities of malt and candy sugar.

T: If someone poured this and served it to me sight unseen, I would have tagged it as a Scottish/Wee Heavy. It was a very full-bodied, caramel bomb, but with absolutely no Belgian funky character to speak of. I detected a slight bit of barrel-aging, but definitely not much.

M: Not as sugary as I though it was going to be judging from the nose (which was a good thing). Well carbonated for the style, but nothing too offensive. Low lacing indeed.

O: Way, way out of style for a Dubbel, but I'll take it!

Double Barrel Ale from Sweetwater Tavern & Brewery