Red, Wheat, And Blue | Capitol City Brewing

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by RedSpecial1 on 06-26-2010

Reviews by RedSpecial1:
4.85/5  rDev 0%

I was recently in D.C. and my fiancee, who had been here several times before, suggested we stop for lunch at Capitol City Brewing. I, of course, loved the idea of sampling the local craft beer scene. It was late June, and the seasonal on tap was Red, Wheat, and Blue. According to their menu description: This is a fruited ale for Independence Day made with red raspberries, white wheat malt, and blueberries. This beer has a pleasant, real fruit flavor, and is light bodied. Every claim they made was true too.

They have a an image of a draft pour on their facebook page to find an image for the really curious.

When the beer came out it was a rich red mahogany with just a little bit of white head sitting on top. This beer was very clear, so I think it must've been filtered, as it wasn't nearly as cloudy as most hefeweizens. The nose was very fruity, with the raspberries leading the way. It initially tastes faintly of wheat and sweet raspberries, which then passes to a pleasantly tart raspberry flavor, and finishes with a very pleasant toasted wheat after taste. This beer was very lightly carbed giving it a smooth mouthfeel with just enough carbonation to to help enhance the flavor. This beer was very drinkable, especially for a fruit flavored one. Usually I'm not a huge fan of fruit flavored beers, but this one had so much depth I was very impressed.

3.5/5  rDev 0%