Fuel | Capitol City Brewing

Style: Russian Imperial Stout

Added by jrallen34 on 12-12-2010

Reviews by joshuaseresse:
4.38/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on tap at the brewery while I was in D.C. Drank about 3 of these. Poured into an awesome chalice:

A - Pours drank chocolate black with a rich mocha kahki head about two fingers thick. Heavy lacing retention.

S - Chocolate, vanilla and roast. Bit of oak and earth and sweet hops.

T - Rich creamy chocolate and a touch of roast. Bit of coffee and cream. Earty hops, vanilla and oak. Since there is 10lbs of locally ground coffee in the batch I didn't get a lot of coffee, but its ok.

M - Really smooth and creamy. No heat or over to top roasts. Light carbonation but really smooth.

D - I really liked this. Although people are questioning how this is a RIS, I'm rating on what I got out of it based on the senses and not the style. I wanted a growler of this, it was really tasty.

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours very dark brown with a very thin, tan head that disappears very quickly.
S- The smell, given the nature, of this particular beer, is understandably dominated by coffee. I like a good bit of coffee aroma in a stout, but that's all there is here. It smells 100% of coffee. ok. 95%. There is a bit of smokeyness in there too.
T- Again, coffee, beginning middle and end. There is a smokey characteristic to it as well. It's not bad, but it just doesn't go anywhere.
M- The body is excessively light given the style. The carbonation is low, which is fine, but when in tandem with the light body, it comes across as far too watery for an imperial stout.
O- A bit of a disappointment. One-dimensional and too thin on the body, for my personal preferences of the style. They made a coffee stout but made it too much about the coffee, forgetting the stout.

4.23/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured into a large goblet just like everyone else described. I couldn't fully hear the bartender but he said it was brewed with some style of Starbucks coffee.
A- Poured black as death with tin brown head that dissipated after a few sips.
S- Most smelled of coffee and a little bit of chocolate
T- Very much coffee and some chocolate again. Almost like a mocha. The bartender told me it was a 10% abv which was masked very well. No taste of booze whatsoever.
M- It is rather light but I thought it was still very good in that it enveloped my entire mouth with the taste and flavor. Very easy to drink.
O- I really enjoyed this beer. I really like the coffee taste. May not keep entirely in line with a Russian Imperial style, I was still very good and I would go back and get it again and again.

3.57/5  rDev -5.3%

RIS? Not really. I won't hold that against them since this is about as basic as a Imperial Stout gets. Beer is dark brown and clear at the corners, on draft at Union station. Beer has a thin head of tan bubbles that leaves some lacing on the glass.

Aroma is coffee and a little malt.

Beer is medium in body with a nice coffee roast at the back and some minimal sweetness up front, nothing too special here though. Just a regular coffee stout as far as I'm concerned.

3.24/5  rDev -14.1%

On tap the brewpub poured into an awesome goblet, another bar tender recommendation. The description lists this a russian imperial stout finished with 101 pounds of locally roasted coffee...The beer pours dark brown with a light tan head, not much to look at...The aroma is pretty nice roasted coffee dominates as you can imagine but this is fairly bounced some bitter chocolate and a little coffee...The taste doesn't translate the balance as it is totally dominated by the roasted coffee. That is sometimes ok, but the coffee comes across as day old so it isn't appealing. Too one noted as well, making this a touch boring and a difficult sipper. The feel is really light and doesn't help add any depth to this.

Not a ris worth trying unless you love day old black coffee.

Fuel from Capitol City Brewing