Panic Attack | Holy Mackerel Small Batch Beers "the garage project"

Read the review
Panic AttackPanic Attack

Holy Mackerel Small Batch Beers "the garage project"
Florida, United States
holymackerelbeers.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by adkirkish on 07-03-2010

1.47/5  rDev -56.4%

12 oz bottle of the 2011 vintage courtesy of fthomasl, pours a hazed and glowing orange color with a small cap of off-white head. Nice lacing. A fusion of tripel and saison, eh? Well, it does not really look like either!

Nose is interesting, smells alot like grains of paradise might have been used here. Very spice-oriented with cola, cloves and brazil nuts in tow. Not much else, I am a bit disappointed at the lack of yeasty esters.

Taste is sweet and definitely has a plethora of spices going on...too much actually. I am fairly certain this has grains of paradise in it, a spice that I personally cannot stand...never had a beer with it that I could drink. BSPA is a better fit than either saison or tripel, unnecessarily high ABV is prominent but buried along with malt and yeast flavor. There is not much else I can discern besides the spices so I will just leave it at that. And no, I will not be finishing my 12 oz sample.

1.68/5  rDev -50.1%

1.99/5  rDev -40.9%

I was visiting Florida, so I thought I would try some local brews. This one jumped out at me because of the "Trippel and Saison Fusion" that is indicated on the bottle. Also... the "Belgian Style" reference and the ABV indicated on the bottle made me think "La Fin Du Monde", so I was excited to try this high-gravity local offering.
Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden-brown, very little head and no lacing. Lackluster in appearance in the glass. The complete lack of lacing was concerning.
Smell: This was more what I was expecting. Clove, fruit, pepper, and orange peel were present along with the alcohol.
Taste: Most definitely the sweetest beer I have ever tasted. The molasses and cane sugar elements were so overbearing that it was almost hard to recognize the large quantity of alcohol that was also present. Very difficult to get through an entire glass.
Mouthfeel: Sticky-sweet.

Overall: Very disappointing... especially knowing so many great home-brewers who would probably be too embarrassed to share this disaster with their friends. Way too sweet and difficult to drink. I would not buy this again, and I would not recommend it to a friend.

While this brew didn't cause a panic attack, I confess I was a bit buzzed by it. Having just finished a Yuengling Summer Ale with my dinner, a friend offered me the Holy Mackerel. So, I drank it. This beer has a wonderful dark golden appearance, but would I have another? No. It's syrupy sweet flavor reminded me of that "nighttime, sniffling, sneezing, coughing, aching, stuffy head, fever, so you can rest medicine." If those symptom occur, however, yes I'd have another.

2.01/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

It's a great looking beer but way too medicinal and unbalanced. Could barely get through a few sips as the sweetness is off putting and way too boozy

2.15/5  rDev -36.2%

My last Holy Mackerel beer in the fridge.

Panic Attack. 'A Trippel and Saison Fusion'. 10%. Hold onto your jets, folks.

Poured with very little head. None now. Murky orange river water color. No lacing. 2.5

Smells like a shandy. Some sweet orange and lemonade along with a colorful yeast character. A little heavy syrup and peach-in-a-can. Spices like white pepper and coriander, but subdued compared to the fruitiness. 2.5

Flavor is OFF. Cheap, sugary lemonade with from-concentrate orange juice and ground pepper. Coriander, stone fruits, treacle syrup or honey. This beer is all over the place and wacky. The syrupy sweetness is cloying. There is honestly nothing more I can say about this beer. No hop presence, not much of a malt. 2.0

The mouthfeel is hugely thick. Thick and cloyingly sweet. Not much carbonation traceable. Hard to get down. Only impressive fact is that it's not carrying the booze that I would expect from such a high gravity offering. Sticks to the lips. I don't know what to think. 2.0

This beer is pretty awful. It's not a tripel. It's not a saison, by any means. Excuse my language, but this beer is just a fuck-up. The 10% just means I can't so easily end the night with a good beer because I wasted enough tolerance on this one. 2.0

2.25/5  rDev -33.2%

2.25/5  rDev -33.2%

2.3/5  rDev -31.8%

A-transparent amber, thin white head, very light colored for the type

S-burnt dark Belgian ale

T-a sweet hit of the dark belgian ale. the after-taste is sort of tangy with the high ABV very noticeable. There's is nothing impressive or satisfying about this one.

M-medium to heavy carbonation, dry finish

D-wow there is close to zero drinkability. i got half way through this and drained it....i never do that! i love beer too much to drain it but this was just that bad.

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.6/5  rDev -22.8%

2.68/5  rDev -20.5%

2.74/5  rDev -18.7%

Poured from bottle into imperial pint glass.

A: A decent, cloudy golden color. A very full head that recedes after only a couple minutes down to a thin line. Very little lacing.

S: Actually, it smells a little like Natty Ice. So...

T: It tastes pretty average for a beer but pretty below par from a BSPA. On the first sip, there isn't much immediate flavor. First flavors are the saison influence. Sweet, maybe a little earthy. Then a bit of spiciness come through. This is the most pleasant part of the flavor. Then there is a sweetness that stays on the tongue. There is certainly a warming from the booze, but not too much boozy flavor.

M: About that flavor that stays on the tongue, it just leaves this sugary coating. It's not as full as I would like, but it isn't watery. The booze can definitely be felt, but only for an instant each sip.

O: This beer is ok. It doesn't really smell great and it's not really a saison or a BSPA. It should really choose what it wants to be and just try to be that.

EDIT: After reading some of the other reviews after I posted this one, it is possible my bottle was not good. The other reviewers seem to find many more fruity notes that mine ever indicated.

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

Panic Attack from Holy Mackerel Small Batch Beers "the garage project"