Panic Attack | Holy Mackerel Small Batch Beers "the garage project"

Read the review
Panic AttackPanic Attack

Holy Mackerel Small Batch Beers "the garage project"
Florida, United States
holymackerelbeers.com

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

Added by adkirkish on 07-03-2010

4.12/5  rDev +22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I have learned on my business trip to Huntsville, AL that I am an aficionado of 10% alcohol by volume beer. Some may call it licorice to their tastes, but I love the stuff - I'm definitely a 10%er. This brew from my home state of FL has a dark, rich color with a nice tan-hued head. It's smell is has a distant scent of cinnamon, spice, and some coriander (I think.) The taste, though, is what just draws me back. I don't know if it's the types of hops or malts, or maybe it's the high alcohol content, but whatever it is - I like it.

1.99/5  rDev -40.8%

I was visiting Florida, so I thought I would try some local brews. This one jumped out at me because of the "Trippel and Saison Fusion" that is indicated on the bottle. Also... the "Belgian Style" reference and the ABV indicated on the bottle made me think "La Fin Du Monde", so I was excited to try this high-gravity local offering.
Appearance: Pours a cloudy golden-brown, very little head and no lacing. Lackluster in appearance in the glass. The complete lack of lacing was concerning.
Smell: This was more what I was expecting. Clove, fruit, pepper, and orange peel were present along with the alcohol.
Taste: Most definitely the sweetest beer I have ever tasted. The molasses and cane sugar elements were so overbearing that it was almost hard to recognize the large quantity of alcohol that was also present. Very difficult to get through an entire glass.
Mouthfeel: Sticky-sweet.

Overall: Very disappointing... especially knowing so many great home-brewers who would probably be too embarrassed to share this disaster with their friends. Way too sweet and difficult to drink. I would not buy this again, and I would not recommend it to a friend.

3.3/5  rDev -1.8%

To my palette this is a Scotch Ale gone awry---not in a bad way, but as if it missed the mark enough for the brewer to thrown in some Belgian yeast and extra hops.

A-copper and cloudy. Short lived head.

S-Caramel & some floral notes.

T-Big. Overwhelming caramel. Dry back end. Tongue does not easily forget this beer.

M-Silky but every part of your mouth retains the caramel. Not a lot of other ingredients to combat this.

I get no Saison character. Maybe the brewer thought the style broad enough to tag the beer with it?? I don't know, but it's not there.

Overall, it's worthy of sharing. I doubt I would buy a six of it though.

A: Copper, filtered, no carbonation, little brownish white foam.

S: Banana, Belgian yeast, dark fruits like figs, glue.

T: Banana, dark fruits like figs, a bit of licorice, malt, no bitterness.

M: Medium, slightly syrupy body, low medium carbonation.

O: Not getting the saison combo it claims on the bottle, but tastes like a pleasant Belgian beer of some sort. Balanced, sweetness is there with the other flavours metioned. Worth a try, sort of cool bottle, love that its from Florida. Would go well with bbq fish.

2.5/5  rDev -25.6%

4.25/5  rDev +26.5%

2.75/5  rDev -18.2%

4.5/5  rDev +33.9%

Panic Attack from Holy Mackerel Small Batch Beers "the garage project"