Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale) | Bootlegger's Brewery

Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale)Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale)

Bootlegger's Brewery
bootleggersbrewery.com

Style: American Stout

Stout brewed with coffee and chipotle peppers.

Added by DoubleJ on 04-12-2009

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a Alesmith Horny Devil snifter.

A- pours near black with a ridiculous 4" light brown head, watch out its a gusher. 2" head remains in the glass.

S- coffee, chocolate and some pine.

T- big coffee and chocolate notes, slight dark fruits, some pine bitterness and you notice the peppers that gives a slight burn at the finish.

M- Medium body and high carbonation. Crazy high carbonation.

O- if it wasn't for the crazy high carbonation this would be a very good beer. Nice amount of coffee and chocolate with some pepper burn.

3.4/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Coffee is prevalent on the nose, more than whatever chipotle is in here. Chocolate is subtle, but brings a nice sweetness to the nose to balance the roast of the coffee.

Pitch black in color with a light mocha head which is humungous! It looks over-carbonated just by the head. I poured so slow and it still generated a 4-finger head. Unfortunately, lacing is non-existent.

First thing I noticed wasn't the taste, but how this bear foamed up right when it hit my tongue.. it's HIGHLY carbonated. The medium-full body brings a bunch of roasted coffee beans right upfront and through the mid-palate. The beer finishes with the slightest heat and then more coffee, only to be followed by by a bit of an itch in my throat form the peppers again. The flavor of this beer is coffee-forward and comes in waves. Quite interesting, but the burps come in waves afterward too.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

3.25/5  rDev -14%

Black Pheonix Chipotle Coffee Stout
22oz bottle poured into a mug
no born on date

Thanks to Redbeeron for sending this one over as an extra.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost black, with a massive 3 plus fingers of light mocha colored head, which is light and bubbly and takes a long time to dissipate down.  1/2 a finger remains throughout most of the drink, but leaves no appreciable lacing.

S: Heavy spicy pepper notes, mild coffee and roasted malt characters.  Nice aroma here, but rather mild and pretty one dimensional.

T: Coffee, roasted malts.  heavy cream. Initially I dont taste much spice on the palate, but it burns my lips so I know its there.  But as I continue to  drink, the peppery heat builds significantly.  I like that component but the base flavors, I guess you can call it that, are just significantly lacking.  Not enough strength of stout flavors to go along with the chipotle heat.

M/D:  Really thin mouthfeel, and a carbonation that seems both too high, and too low at the same time (if that makes sense, which Im sure it doesn't).  It comes off like soda from a soda gun.   That with the peppery spice make this indigestion in a bottle.  Drinkability is low and mouthfeel is poor.

O:  Overall, this is one I would pass on in the future.  I like how big the chipotle heat is, but the stout flavors and characteristics just arent there.  I appreciate what they were trying to do, but its sure as hell no Mexican Cake.

3.7/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1514th Review on BA
Growler to Snifter

Filled @Bootleggers 9/14/12

App- More of a crimson looking brew in the glass with a bit of darker browns mixed in. I would say some red and yellows make the mix but not much. A small 1/2 finger head was there and gone and didnt leave any cling.

Smell- I liked the aromatics but it didnt wow me. This one is more of a small coffee note with with a bit of water. Not a lot of the chipotle comes through and thats okay. A more smokey and roast malt aroma with a bit of BBQ.

Taste- I am not normally one for smokey or Rauchbier like beers, but this was good with the balance of the chipotle and the coffee. It was like when watching a cooking show and seeing a coffee rub on a good piece of meat. The smokey malts paired well with the heat of the peppers and didnt leave it too hot or too spicy really.

Mouth- A lighter medium body and a lighter carbonation. Just thin all around. The malts are quite tame and a bit of the chipotle comes through and tingles the tastebuds on the residual flavors of this one.

Drink- I enjoyed it. I am just not a fan like I said of the smoky hot thing. I like the addition of the coffee on this one and it was a good idea to keep the ABV low to make everything a bit more mellow and not compete against the booze.

Bottled: unk
Pours black, and has a rim of light tan foam and quite a bit of clarity. Smells of herbal hops, some some, some soily dust, bits of coffee and some cardboard. Taste is empty, watered down stout with toasted and roated malts, some coffee, a little too much smoke flavor, some hints of coconut and weedy. Mouth is empty with alittle too hi carb and an off dry finish. Okay beer. My wife really dug it so she drank most of the bottle.

3.25/5  rDev -14%

4.08/5  rDev +7.9%

I loves me muh stouts and porters!

A- Poured into a pint glass. Dark fudgy color and a milk chocolate head about a fingers width. The head dissipated almost too rapidly and the lacing was slippery to smooth. I enjoy looking at a deep rich ale in ambient lighting :)

S- A medium scent is evident with malts, coffee. As much as I hyped this ale up I was expecting something deeper =/

T- Smokey Roasted Malt, A piquant coffee/dark chocolate taste settles on the palate briefly, but this bottoms out quickly with the bold flavor. HOWEVER... The chipotle finishes quite well from the start to finish... but especially on the finish! I have had my share of chipotle beers and this one takes the cake. The nice subtle spice that tickles and plays with your tongue in the end definitely puts a smile on your face! Kudos bootleggers for pulling off what many chipotle beers can not!

MF- Scrumptious semi-thick stout, kinda syrupy and it sticks to your mouth for a bit. It is a deep beer with medium carbonation. This will go great with bbq or a greasy mexican fusion breakfast plate :P

O- I like my stouts and porters very much, this one is a very filling and bold stout. I don't know about breaking the wallet for one, but if you can afford it go for it! Yum yum YUM!

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

4.21/5  rDev +11.4%

Bootlegger's already makes several variants of its Black Phoenix beer; Spicenator Black Phoenix, Imperial Phoenix, Barrel-Aged Imperial Phoenix. Does a nitro version of Black Phoenix count as well. If it does, let's makes some notes of it:

Once again, that nitro gas leaves a super creamy, long lasting beige head atop a black body. Beautiful, once again. The nose is softer on nitro, but it still delivers the key notes, of spicy coffee, and even some brownie chocolate.

I'll confess, the nitro does soften the flavor. Still, it does it in a good way. The peppers are softer, which allows the stout part of the beer to come out. The dark malt body and the nitro gives the flavor of devil's food cake. It's very smooth and creamy in the mouth, medium bodied, and much easier to drink than the "standard" Black Phoenix.

So there are a few differences between the nitro and non-nitro versions. The nitro version is easier to take, while the non-nitro version fills your mouth with more spicy peppers and coffee. I'm totally taking this ride again.

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

Picked up a bomber while in El Segundo. I opened the bottle after dinner and it makes a fine dessert beer. It's by no means sweet, but there's a medium, thicker body and tasty cocoa notes. I only get the slighted hint of chipotle and heat once the beer warms to cellar temperature, but it's a nice touch. This is definitely not a beer to drink too cold, the subtle flavors are totally lost. I'm not getting any noticeable coffee, but the smooth chocolate liquor taste, balanced by a mild roast will ease your mind and please your palate. Give this a try if you find it.

4.5/5  rDev +19%

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

3.62/5  rDev -4.2%

22oz bottle from Whatsarezaf (thanks for the extra man!). No bottling info. Served in a Sweetwater 15 snifter.

Pours a deep, near-black brown with barely one finger tan head. Next to no lacing.

Interesting nose with coffee, cocoa and a hint of peppery spice.

Black coffee taste comes out first. A little bittersweet cocoa follows with a nice pepper bite on the finish. Not much else but not bad.

Fairly thin feel with mild carbonation.

No false advertising here- it says chipotle coffee stout on the bottle and that's exactly what it is. Not as big or complex as I prefer my stouts but overall it's not bad at all. No problems finishing the bottle myself in one sitting but not something I'll hunt in the future.

4.07/5  rDev +7.7%

Pours a very dark brown color...borderline black. Has a small tan head. Scent is nice and toasty with some roasted malt and chocolate cocoa. Sweet vanilla and some cinnamon as well. Fresh coffee. Not really any chile or chipotle in the aroma. Taste is a little different however. Initially, there is a definite chile pepper flavor. Not heat, but just the flavor. The heat is very subdued and only comes through on the tip of the tongue after quite a few sips of this. Not overwhelming at all, just some tingling heat that lingers on the tip of the tongue and the lips. There are lovely coffee flavors and great cocoa taste. Very well balanced and a great way to introduce someone to what peppers can do to a beer. Mouthfeel is where this beers lacks... it's a little too light (I wish I could try the bourbon barrel aged version). Mild spicy finish. Drinkability is very high. Overall, this beer is an outstanding chile stout. I would definitely buy more of this.

3.61/5  rDev -4.5%

Thanks to McD0uche for hooking me up with this one.

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark brown that is almost black. A one finger, khaki colored head sits on top which slowly fades to a thin film.

S: The overall aroma is a bit subdued. There is mostly roasted malts with a touch of coffee. I can't seem to find the chipotle at all in the nose.

T: The initial tastes are roasted malts and coffee again. But towards the finish, the chipotle peppers make their appearance. They provide some slight heat that isn't overpowering, just enough to let you know they're there.

M: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. There is almost a chewy feel to it. The peppers give off a slight heat that doesn't linger very long.

O: Overall, this was just slightly above average for me. I like the addition of chipotle peppers, just wish they were more present in the aroma. However, their presence in the taste saved this one for me.

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%