Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale) | Bootlegger's Brewery

Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale)Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale)
Liked This Beer
3.77 w/ 309 ratings
Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale)Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale)

Bootlegger's Brewery
bootleggersbrewery.com

Style: American Stout

Stout brewed with coffee and chipotle peppers.

Added by DoubleJ on 04-12-2009

Liked:
3.77/5
Alströms:

Black Pheonix Chipotle Coffee Stout
22oz bottle poured into a mug
no born on date

Thanks to Redbeeron for sending this one over as an extra.

A: Pours a very dark brown, almost black, with a massive 3 plus fingers of light mocha colored head, which is light and bubbly and takes a long time to dissipate down.  1/2 a finger remains throughout most of the drink, but leaves no appreciable lacing.

S: Heavy spicy pepper notes, mild coffee and roasted malt characters.  Nice aroma here, but rather mild and pretty one dimensional.

T: Coffee, roasted malts.  heavy cream. Initially I dont taste much spice on the palate, but it burns my lips so I know its there.  But as I continue to  drink, the peppery heat builds significantly.  I like that component but the base flavors, I guess you can call it that, are just significantly lacking.  Not enough strength of stout flavors to go along with the chipotle heat.

M/D:  Really thin mouthfeel, and a carbonation that seems both too high, and too low at the same time (if that makes sense, which Im sure it doesn't).  It comes off like soda from a soda gun.   That with the peppery spice make this indigestion in a bottle.  Drinkability is low and mouthfeel is poor.

O:  Overall, this is one I would pass on in the future.  I like how big the chipotle heat is, but the stout flavors and characteristics just arent there.  I appreciate what they were trying to do, but its sure as hell no Mexican Cake.

3.29/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Clear black colored beer with a tiny brown colored head.

Smells of Chile pepper and smoke. Smells sweet and fruity. Some patent malt and a little coffee, but this is scented of pepper.

Starts out mildly sweet and slightly metallic. Taste of lactose, didn't expect a Milk Stout. Light pepper taste and a mild smokiness. Not much heat at all.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall a disappointment, I expected more.

3.3/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

6.7% ABV confirmed. Acquired locally. I don't recall the price. 650ml brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a New Belgium stem-goblet in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are fairly high; the idea of a chipotle coffee stout sounds rather good. I've never been huge on Bootlegger's, but I'm hoping this changes my mind.

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Not paired with food.

A: Pours a one finger khaki-light tan head of fair cream, decent thickness, and good retention for the relatively high ABV. No lacing. Body colour is a solid nontransparent opaque black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Typical for the style but nevertheless appealing.

Sm: Chili powder, dark malts, light cream, chocolate malt, and caramel. A rather mild strength aroma. No yeast character is detectable. No alcohol is detectable.

T: Light chilis - not very spicy, dark malts, light chocolate malt, and a bit of cold pressed coffee. Lacks roast, to its detriment. The chili presence is ideal for the balance; there's not too much spiciness and it really works here. Not mind blowingly complex, but it's solid. Little subtlety, though the chili is nicely restrained (as abovementioned). I do quite like it. Needs more roast and coffee.

Mf: Smooth and wet in classic porter fashion. Good carbonation and palate presence. Perhaps a bit too thick for its simple flavour profile. Suits the flavours well. Some nice cream.

Dr: Drinkable and enjoyable - especially considering the relatively high ABV. I'd try this on draught, but otherwise it's not worth trifling with again. A nice little porter from Bootlegger's, but it's far from amazing. I wouldn't recommend it to friends, but it's worth trying.

B-

3.3/5  rDev -12.5%

22 oz. into a pint glass

P: Midnight black with only glimmers of rosy brown light streaming in through the edges of the glass. On top is a 2 fingered crown of wet sand-colored foam that's a little more on the soapy side of the spectrum rather than on the thick and creamy one. Showed decent retention, then sank to form a thick collar with little strings of lace left behind in its wake.

A: This is one of the most unique aromas I've come across in an American Stout. It's really roasted from the malts, obviously, but there's a moderate amount of smokiness here that I wasn't expecting. Meanwhile, the boldly roasted coffee beans outshine the chocolate by a good distance, while the spiciness from the chipotle peppers adds a new dimension that forces my nasal passages open with each and every whiff. I was expecting the peppers to be a little more subtle, but I really like it nonetheless.

T: As much as I enjoyed the aroma of this beer, I'm afraid the flavor just isn't my cup of tea. I love how the dark malts are perfectly-roasted and never even hint at being burnt or charred, while once again, the locally-roasted coffee beans are dominant over the creamy chocolate flavors at the halfway point in the mouthful. However, as much as I appreciate the heat that the chipotle spice brings to the table, it feels a bit intrusive and really grainy at the back of my throat. It almost reminds me of the unforgettable "drip" sensation I experienced in my throat after a friend dared me to sniff some cayenne pepper, that when teamed with the moderate amount of smokiness present, imparts a spicy, grainy, almost ashy kind of burn to the back of my throat that becomes distracting and unenjoyable after awhile.

M: Black Phoenix feels a touch fuller than medium-bodied, and even though there's not much to chew on, there is some rich creaminess accentuating the nice C02 levels. However, that grainy spice is kinda killing any sense of smoothness for me. Still, it feels good enough to earn the "good" score.

Notes: I could definitely see how some people would love this beer. If what you're looking for is some smoky spiciness in your American Stout, then this is probably your holy grail. Personally, as much as I liked the aroma, it just didn't float my boat when it hit my palate. Still, excited to see a Bootlegger's brew in a local shop. Gotta support the locals!

3.32/5  rDev -11.9%

Pours 1/2 finger of khaki tan head. Color is a dark mahogany brown.

Aroma: Mainly porter flavors with a dark coffee roast. No chipotles here. Dark chocolate. Creamy.

Taste: The chipotles come through more here, having a hot burn in the end. Big roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, and caramel.

Mouthfeel: Crisp, roasted, spiced, and dry. Medium bodied with a medium to high amount of carbonation. Ends dry.

Overall, decent beer. It could be awesome if it wasn't so roasted. Somewhat drinkable.

3.34/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Poured into GI pint

Pour: Almost black with an enormous 4 finger tan head. Head receded quickly to a slight film on surface.

Smell: Coffee, chocolate, and some pine. Also picking up some roast and char. Aroma is very tame and pretty uneventful.

Taste: Mild coffee meets some bittersweet chocolate. Again like the nose, roasted and char and not much heat from the peppers. This one seems to be lacking the typical stout flavors that I desire. I see where this one is going but just misses the mark on the flavors of a big stout. Well as I continue to sip this I sense the build up of the pepper heat. Did not get it initially but getting through the glass the heat is definitely there and enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Must say this is thin for a stout with a higher than average carbonation for this style. The thinness of this makes it easy to drink.

Overall: Lacked on most aspects to me and ends up just being ok to me.

3.36/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Mostly dark brown color, a little lighter than usual for craft stouts these days, but not ugly in any sense. Not much head, a thin brown (lighter) ring of head about 3/8" thick, doesn't retain well, not much for lacing. I guess that's the chipotle working.

Aroma of chocolate and coffee, I didn't pick up on the chipotle in the aroma, but the aroma was still inviting for what it was. Fractional smoke element to it.

Taste, alright, there's a little bit of chipotle. Bitter astringency, but not in a bad way. Mouthfeel was a little thin. Starting to have the phrase 'run of the mill' run through my head.

Ashy at times. Didn't really perceive any heat of flavor for the most part of my drinking experience related to the peppers. Yes, it does grow as the beer warms, but I think Stone has a cheaper alternative (smoked porter w/ chipotle) that is easier to find and better quality. Good enough, but won't be stocking up on these.

3.36/5  rDev -10.9%

3.4/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Coffee is prevalent on the nose, more than whatever chipotle is in here. Chocolate is subtle, but brings a nice sweetness to the nose to balance the roast of the coffee.

Pitch black in color with a light mocha head which is humungous! It looks over-carbonated just by the head. I poured so slow and it still generated a 4-finger head. Unfortunately, lacing is non-existent.

First thing I noticed wasn't the taste, but how this bear foamed up right when it hit my tongue.. it's HIGHLY carbonated. The medium-full body brings a bunch of roasted coffee beans right upfront and through the mid-palate. The beer finishes with the slightest heat and then more coffee, only to be followed by by a bit of an itch in my throat form the peppers again. The flavor of this beer is coffee-forward and comes in waves. Quite interesting, but the burps come in waves afterward too.

3.4/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.41/5  rDev -9.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

The Beers of California

#53

Bottle Date: None

A: That pitch black stout look is going on with a faint head of khaki foam which fades to a bed of bubbles.

S: The coffee and roasted, toasted malt is there. No pepper bite is detectable. Overall the nose is smooth with some cocoa and espresso but was hoping for some spice also.

T: The coffee is there but somewhat muted. Good roasted malt presence along with caramel and brown sugar sweetness. Minimal chipotle burn. There is a nice bitterness which contrasts the dark sweetness.

M: Smooth and ample with good carbonation. Trace lacing on the glass.

O: As someone who loves spice and coffee this beer ultimately let me down with only moderate coffee notes and non-existent spice presence.

3.42/5  rDev -9.3%

A - Extremely dark brown, not much head, just a tan ring around the edges.

S - Sweet malt, roasty malt and slight smokiness. Coffee is more like mocha choc milk smell.

T - Thin on the malt, bitter and some coffee at finish, slight taste of chili WAY after, but not much.

M - Light bodied, good carb, not much to balance.

D - Fun to try.

3.42/5  rDev -9.3%

A 22 ounce bottle from barfdiggs; thanks Ward! Poured into a Deschutes tulip glass.

Dark brown with about a centimeter of light brown head that quickly fades away to a ring around the edge of the glass. Certainly not bad looking as it rests in the tulip glass, but not exceptional either. Smells of fresh coffee, very subtle chili, a touch of chocolate, faint caramel, and some grassy hops. Taste is a little bigger than the nose, with some roasted coffee notes up front, roasted chocolate malt, caramel, lighter hops in the middle, and a mild chili flavor in the very end. For some reason, it makes me think of poblano peppers instead of chipotle, which seems a bit odd even to me, but it works alright. Mouth is a bit watery in between bursts of flavor, feels a bit under-carbonated, and finishes quite dry and sticky. Overall, a rather average coffee stout. The addition of the pepper mixes it up a bit, but really doesn't add much value to the beer for me. I'm certainly glad to have tried it, but I wouldn't actively seek it again.

Black Phoenix (Chipotle Coffee Ale) from Bootlegger's Brewery