Wild Fire Wheat | Bootlegger's Brewery

Availability: Summer

Added by t0rin0 on 08-03-2009

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
1.92/5  rDev -45.6%

Almost everything I wanted to try from this brewery was tapped out ... this was not high on the list. And it didn't surprise me.

Pours a reddish orange. Inch or two of white foam.

Smells like burnt foliage. Ugh. Tell me that's going to get better.

Tastes like burnt plants, a hint of zest, and ... I just can't get beyond the smoked character. Where's the wheat? It was a chore to finish half a pint.

2.59/5  rDev -26.6%

A: The pour is fitting, considering the name. A burnt orange color with a slightly off-white head.

S: Mostly smoke with some wheat and mild sweetness underneath. Maybe just a bit of peat.

T: The sweetness of the beer and the wheat are able to come come through moreso than on the nose. That said, the smoke is still the primary flavor component. The "fire" reference is certainly accurate.

M: The body is medium with a moderate level of carbonation.

D: You really have to enjoy smoke to like this beer. Personally, it was far too much for me.

2.7/5  rDev -23.5%

A: poured a light amber brown with a thin white head and decent sticky lacing on the glass.

S: smoked chipotle pepper aromas dominating the nose with hints of malts with no wheat character.

T: nice chipotle pepper flavor like the nose with a very mild spice with no malt or hop character and very little wheat presence.

M: light to medium body with hardly no carbonation and a mild spice on the palate.

D: I think that they could have done way better on this beer. It honestly seems liked they half ass it and didn't add enough of anything except peppers. although I did enjoy the pepper flavor that's about all it had.

3.11/5  rDev -11.9%

nice dark brown with a head of tan that reaches a height of around an inch or so before settling back down and leaving some nice lacing along the sides.

Aroma is full of campfire smoke right off the bat. I had been expecting it but it really came off quite strong and full. Really nicely done here I have to admit. Nice notes of light chocolate and big roasted malts are always a welcome treat. Flavor carries this over quite well as the chocolate and earthy notes lay underneath that wonderful smoky campfire like flavor that leaves a long finish

3.45/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

659th Review on BA
Bottle to Mug
22 oz

App- Darker orange with some yellow highlights. Huge two finger head with a line of cling around edges. Leaves a small layer of bubbles on the top of the beer.

Smell- There are a ton of smells in this glass. I get IPA, wheat beer and some smoke beer notes. It's malty, citrusy, toasty, and more.

Taste- I'm not the most apt to like smoke beer but this was a lot more tame and I was quite happy. It has some citrus notes and some malts and is like a faded IPA with some wheat on the back.

Mouth- Medium bodied and medium carbonated. A bit roasty and malty with a touch of smoke

Drink- Overall a lot better than I thought. The smoke was very tame and a lot more layers unfolded. A well done beer. Earns a better grade than I was gonna give.

3.48/5  rDev -1.4%

Appears a dark golden color. Smells of smoke with a little bit of sweetness coming through. The first taste to hit my palate was the smokiness followed by the sweetness. This beer almost has the sweetness of a Belgian golden ale which makes for an odd combination with the smoke. It is certainly an interesting combination though. The mouthfeel is not too heavy but still satisfying. This is a pleasant session beer. I don't know that I would buy another bottle but if I was somewhere where it was on draft I wouldn't hesitate to order one.

3.55/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Bootlegger’s Brewery in Fullerton, CA.

Pours a murky honey orange with an orange-tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Small streaks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of smoked wheat and slight campfire aromas. Taste is the same but the smoke is pretty mild flavor wise. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is easy to drink.

3.56/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Vintage:2013
Appearance: Cloudy Orange, ¼” foamy head
Smell: Smokey Malts, Bacon, Sweet malts
Taste: Follows Nose in flavour and sequence
Mouth-feel: Light to Medium Body, long smoakey finish
Overall: A unique seasonal that captures the essence of the California Wild Fires. I would not crave it, but I am happy to have tried it.

3.7/5  rDev +4.8%

Free sample at Bootleggers. 7/31/2009

Pours hazy and amber/light brown/yellow, halfway between pale wheat and dark wheat. White head, decent retention and lace.

Aroma is wheaty and an unmistakeably smokey and spicy. No banana, definitely american wheat ale.

Flavor is heavy on the smoke, too much for my taste. Wheatiness and spiciness that I thought came from rye but I was informed that there is no rye in this beer.

Very light and pretty drinkable. But then its a summer beer.

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

Look: Burnt orange color with 1/4 inch white bubbly head and no retentino but it does have some lacing

Smell: very fruity wheat smell im getting hints of apricot in this. Also has some bready yeast notes.

Taste: Funky smoked flavor that honestly reminds me of what a california brush fire smells like. If you live in california you will understand what I am talking about

Mouthfeel: medium body medium carbonation

Overall: This is hands down one of the most unique beers I have ever had. It's not bad and it's not great. I guess I would only describe it as interesting and worth a try.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast