Winter Ale - Chocolate Mint Porter | Bootlegger's Brewery

Style: American Porter

Added by vacax on 11-27-2009

1.5/5  rDev -56.1%

2.13/5  rDev -37.7%

Pours 1/2 finger of tan head. Color is black.

Aroma: Spearmint gum and peppermint schnapps. Chocolate and ice cream flavors. Sharp.

Taste: Peppermint schnapps again, chocolate, boozy, mint chocolate ice cream. Not good.

Mouthfeel: Sharp and roasted. Medium to full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. End dry with mint.

Overall, this just wasn't for me. Too much mint. I couldn't drink a lot of this.

2.23/5  rDev -34.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

One of 5 sample tastes that I had during my first visit. I specifically went to Fullerton to check this place out. Very humble beginnings but their beers are well made. Unfortunately, of the 5 beers I did try this was my least favorite. It was about a 4 oz pour and I didn't finish it... :(

2.25/5  rDev -34.2%

2.41/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Acquired at Total Wine on-sale for $1.99. 6.1% ABV according to my bottle. "Ale Brewed with Mint." Expectations are low given the brewery and its current ratings. 650ml brown glass bottle with branded pressure cap served into a conical Samuel Smith's pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live.

Served straight from the fridge and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: Pours a three finger creamy tan colour head of good thickness and retention (~4+ minutes). Love the creaminess. Light lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Body colour is a solid nontransparent black. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show.

Sm: Atrocious spearmint. Herbal, minty, and unappealing. Redolent of extract. Dark malts. Brown sugar. I struggle to find chocolate; the mint is so overbearing. An average strength aroma. Not terrible, but I've experienced far better mint chocolate porter aromas.

T: Ugh. Herbal mint leaf. A bit suggestive of spearmint toothpaste. Maybe a bit of chocolate. Dark malts. Minimal hopping, if any. No yeast or alcohol comes through, but it's just plain bad. A bit creamy. Imbalanced and poorly built. That's just bad construction. Definitely needs more chocolate to even satisfy the premise of the beer.

Mf: Lightly coarse. Awkwardly dry for a porter. Overcarbonated. Too thick for the lack of flavour diversity and depth. Unrefreshing. This isn't up to par for the style - or for the flavour profile.

Dr: Swing and a miss. This just isn't up to par. I like the idea, but it's been far better executed by other breweries. I can see why Total Wine had this on clearance for $2.00 and still couldn't get rid of it. This is in serious need of work. A giant disappointment from Bootlegger's. I wouldn't bother with it again. Overbearing and difficult to drink due to the low quality.

D+

2.47/5  rDev -27.8%

Had this one, or at least some form of this chocolate minty thing.

Pours dark brown. Head dissipates fast, average lacing, thick rim leaches on the outside.

Lots of mint, cocoa. Appetizing as it smells like mint ice cream.

Cigarette butts mixed in water. Tobacco and charcoal. Awful. The mint is gone, anything that would generally be savory is devoid.

Mouthfeel is watery, yet crisp with the carbonation and alcohol.

I very much like the idea of mint in a beer, this failed miserably however.

2.5/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.57/5  rDev -24.9%

2.69/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle (2009)

(Aged for 2 years)

Thanks for sharing this one, Frank!

Dark brown in color with mahogany edges and a thin, light brown head that leaves spots and lines of lacing down the glass.

The aroma is of mint toothpaste and little else--perhaps there's a touch of roast underneath it all, but I swear this smells like Crest.

The taste follows the aroma. I don't know how this beer was when fresh, but what's left is a chalky, spearmint flavor reminiscent of mint-flavored chewing gum or toothpaste.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

This is by far the mintiest beer I've ever had, and while unique and somewhat interesting, it doesn't make for too enjoyable of a drinking experience. That being said, I'm glad I got to try it!

2.75/5  rDev -19.6%

2.75/5  rDev -19.6%

2.79/5  rDev -18.4%

Bottle shared by Frank(not sure his handle) @ jerz halloween tasting

Look: Pours a darker brown color with a 1/4 inch off white head with ok retention

Smell: If you pick up anything but mint you're a liar.

Taste: Just think of anything overly minty and that is what this beer is. Mint toothpaste, mint gum, and oh yeah more mint to the point the thing is almost undrinkable

Mouthfeel: Medium body and medium carbonation with a slight dry feel

Overall: This beer is more of a novelty I believe because there is nothing good about it

2.8/5  rDev -18.1%

Poured this thing into a glass. Initially it froths up trying to look like a heavier stout than it is. The head was a nice mocha color but it quickly dies away to a barely there ring. The beer itself is a dark brown with very little light penetration. The smell of the beer is not very apparent. I can smell the sweetness of the malts and mayhaps a hint of chocolate, but this is not a beer your'e going to smell. The flavor is much the same very light and subtle. You can taste an ever so subtle hint of mint. Mouthfeel is a full bodied and light on carbonation.

Overall I think the beer is okay. I think they stayed true to the american porter style. I do however think the mint is really something that could be removed. This is my first mint beer and probably not my last. I have been seeing these popping up from other brewers lately. If you want to try it try it if you don't then don't.

2.84/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.86/5  rDev -16.4%

On tap at Blue Palms.
Pours like a stout should.
The nose is all mint.
Peppermint with a hint of chocolate malt. The mint is overpowering and almost the only thing I taste.
A medium bodied porter. Slightly thin.
The mint is all that is happening. I applaud the experimentation but it didn't quite work out.

2.98/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is 2010 re-release of this beer from a great local brewery. Poured into my St. Bernardus goblet.

A: Pour is a jet black. Mocha brown along the edge of the glass. No real head, light foaming along the edge of glass.

S: Mint first and foremost. Some vanilla which when combined with the mint produces a smell I can only describe as sasparilla.

T: Mint is very present as expected, however none of the sweetness noted in the smell was present.

M: Medium bodied beer. Medium carbonation as well. Pretty dry finish.

D: Moderate abv and with the dry finish this becomes an easy beer to drink. Assuming you like the mint flavor. I do.

Mint aside, this is a pretty good porter. I like the attempt and am glad I got to try this.

Winter Ale - Chocolate Mint Porter from Bootlegger's Brewery