Knuckle Sandwich | Bootlegger's Brewery

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by jerz on 12-14-2009

Reviews: 255 | Ratings: 1,073
4.27/5  rDev -0.2%

A bomber poured into a large snifter. This is from the latest batch, so less than two weeks old.

A: A dark, hazy golden brown, with a thin head that dissipates fairly quickly. Lots of lacing hangs to the glass.

S: Dynamite. Sweetness from the citrus upfront-namely grapefruit and tangerine. There's a tropical scent here too...mango if I'm placing it correctly. Very interesting and unexpected from a DIPA. Some piney notes as well, but they are in the back. Mild notes from the hops, but the sweet citrus/fruitiness leads the way. This beer smells fantastic!

T: Sweet mango and grapefruit lead the way, as with the nose. Lots of flavor from the hops, but it's incredibly well-balanced with caramel maltiness mid-sip. The finish brings some pine into the picture, as well as some bitterness from the hops, which lingers. The alcohol is definitely present in this beer-not unexpected as it weighs in at 10%. If I had to guess the ABV, I would have guessed higher than that from the taste. This really is a full-flavor beer with a strong presence from each flavor I'd like in a DIPA, plus a curveball with the juicy mango.

M: Medium, with some creaminess as well. It's maybe a teeny bit thinner than I'd like upfront, but very good. Well carbonated.

O: A great DIPA. I was super excited to receive this in an LIF from baybassboy and BdubleEdubleRUN. Reading reviews about it, I got pumped, thinking it might be the best IPA I've ever had. While it's not, Knuckle Sandwich is one hell of a beer and I definitely will seek it out in the future! This beer is staying on my "Wants" list!

4.16/5  rDev -2.8%

A: I must say at first pour a pungent piney hop note releases from a foot away... Also. It looks quite good. Semi opaque yellow/amber/rose with a nicely formed and well retained pale tan head. Good lacing as well.

S: mango tang and a funky sour seaweed/tea leaf, meet up with a mild recently fallen brown pine needle.

T: Balanced, rich, and dry finishing aka: The things great DIPA's are made of. Individual hop flavors are sort of smeared together creating a somewhat muddled yet long finishing expression.

M: High carbonation and good hopping leads to rich but drying.

O: very complex and while I don't love this stuff to death it has a number of things going well for it. keep it up guys and dial that motha in.

4.39/5  rDev +2.6%

Thanks to Vanlingleipa for the bottle!

Pours a deep caramel with a huge frothy off-white head leaving sticky lacing all down the glass.

Smells like a tropical paradise. A good hefty caramel malt backbone is overwhelmed by ripe mango, papaya and citrus.

Starts out with a citrus/tropical fruit flavor although it is subdued compared to the nose. Some lush caramel malt peaks in to balance out the hops. This is definitely more in the balanced than hop bomb category. Finishes with a very smooth pine and tropical fruit bitterness. Alcohol is extremely well hidden.

Thick and creamy, but finishes bitter and dry with good carbonation.

Oustanding beer. I wish a bit more of the tropical fruit in the aroma would have come through in the flavor, but still world class and stands up with the best of the DIPA world.

4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

From bomber to tulip glass

A: Pours a dark amber in color, reddish hue, and forms a frothy, tightly-bubbled head. Little islands of lacing are all over the glass as I gently twirl.

S: Strong tropical scents up front, hops smell more fruity than piny. The sweet caramelly malts are everywhere and give the hops a run for their money. The alcohol is quite prevalent as well, propelling the bouquet.

T: Yeah, the tropical notes are at the front again, but they're quickly met by the rich layer of caramelly malts. The combination creates a flavor akin to lush tropical fruit, like a ripe mango. Of course, when reviewing a big, hoppy IPA, the bitterness is discounted, so this isn't to say this is some kind of candy-like brew - it's plenty bitter. The alcohol is nicely masked, unlike the nose, and the bitter-sweet combination carries to the finish.

M: Perfectly chewy and rich, with the bubbly carbonation wiping the palate clean between each sip.

Wow, another phenomenal West Coast DIPA. This one gives Pliny a run for its money. I've been spoiled lately - from Alpine's Bad Boy, to Kern River's Citra release, and now this. It's hard to compare and say which one is simply "better". They're all delicious and distinct. I'm just happy more and more brewers are finding ways to make these amazing ales.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my Bruery tulip glass.

A - A glowing amber color with a thin lace of head. It almost looks burgundy.

S - The nose on this one is very tropical. I pick up grapefruit and pineapple. Very nice and aromatic.

T - This one is very balanced and smooth for DIPA. Up front you get the grapefruit and tropical flavors the nose suggests and then you get a nice hop bitterness. I also get some malt which I figure is balancing this one out nicely.

M - It's actually a little syrupy because it leaves a nice lacing in your mouth.

O - I think the hype for this beer is warranted. For a beer that is 10 percent it is easy to drink and actually smooth for a DIPA. I feel that they really hid the alcohol well in this one. Wow I keep taking more sips and I just have to say that this is one to seek out!

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

I had this on tap at my local Oggi's

a - Great color, a clean amberish-orange, slightly murky

s - hops, grapefruit, citrus, and a malt sweetness undertone

t - bright citrus hops up front, with malty sweetness in the middle, and both on the back, a excellent changing of the flavor throughout

m - it feels almost light, the right amount of alcohol flavor and feel, doesn't feel like the high abv it is

o - this has rapidly become one of my top 5 beers of all time, just wish it was more available, even going to the brewery itself they didn't have any. If I would want anything from this beer it doesn't have, it would be that I could have it all the time.

DOA

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bottle received in a trade, thanks Corey (PeprSprYoFace) and poured into New Belgium Globe.

A - Pours a hazy, dark amber with a two finger, off-white head. Good retention and lacing throughout the glass.

S - Smells pretty fresh considering this package went back and forth from CA to FL twice...damn, FedEx! Big hop nose and tons of citrus, just what I'd expect from a good DIPA. Getting some caramel notes in there as well.

T - Taste is very similar to the nose. Citrus, tropical fruit and pine notes hit you right up front. It then balances out nicely with some sweet malt on the back end.

M - For 10% abv, they did a nice job of really covering up the alcohol, no burn whatsoever. Medium body, with a nice, smooth medium carbonation. Slightly sticky too.

O - I had been seeking this beer out for awhile and I definitely wasn't disappointed. I think the hype is well deserved and I would definitely recommend buying or trading for this one. Cheers!

Shared at the UFC tasting, small pour into my Deschutes snifter. I don't remember who brought this, but thanks!

A: Pours a hazy amber with a thin white head that recedes to a film ring.

S: Nice pine and some resin with a lingering fruity ester over a nice solid light caramel malt.

T: Slight sweet fruit with a nice resin-like quality with a very subtle pine in the background. Again the malty backbone is integrated nicely.

M: Medium bodied with a nice malty flavor that lingers with some bitterness. Nicely carbonated as well.

O: Not my favorite DIPA, but it was definitely a want for me and I'm glad I got to try it.

3.79/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber from clarkenstein (cheers!). Poured into a Pint Glass.

Pours a hazy dark copper with a fluffy off-white head that hangs around for a bit, eventually leaving streaky lacing as it settles to a squat cap. Big aromas of pine resin, tropical fruit, grapefruit, and some slightly sweet caramel malt. Taste is a bit of a let-down from the nose, not as tropical as I was hoping. Lots of pine resin and grapefruit in there, though, with more sweet caramel malt and a bit of noticeable alcohol "burn". Mouthfeel is smooth, slightly sticky, with a touch-over-medium body and good, sharp carbonation. Overall a solid DIPA, I just wish the taste lived up to the amazing nose!

3.4/5  rDev -20.6%

First time having this and I know it has some age on the bottle so this review will be based upon that. Serving- 22oz bottle poured into pint glass

Appearance- A lighter amber with golden color shining through when held up to light and overall pretty clear.

Smell- Citrus, Honey and hop spiciness

Taste- crisp and hoppy when cold but after it warms to room temperature some weird barleywine and bready qualities

Mouthfeel- Clean, a little syrupy.

Overall- Not bad, but not what the hype makes it to be. I need to try this fresh when the next batch comes out to give my final review.

3.87/5  rDev -9.6%

22oz bottle poured into a tulip

A: Pours copper, slightly hard to see through, 2-finger off-white head. Tight head with foamy top, great retention, and good lacing.

S: Huge orange, grapefruit, pineapple, pine, and mango. Very tropical. There seems to be a good bit of sweetness. Slight hint of vegetal in the background.

T: Big let-down from the nose. Not as much tropical and bright fruit as I was expecting. More herbal and pine with a lot of astringency, lots of grapefruit. Extremely sharp flavors and bitterness. Big sweet malt base akin to a fresh American Barleywine. Sharp bitterness in the finish (semi-dry), slight vegetal quality too. Alcohol is warm and noticeable in the taste.

M: Close to full carbonation, moderate carbonation. Sweet and malty and a semi-dry finish, not all that crisp/clean and refreshing (a tad bit boozy).

O: This is more like a fresh American Barleywine than a DIPA in my opinion. It doesn't have that bright, clean character with a light malt base that I come to expect from a DIPA. To sweet and almost briny at times. The alcohol presence isn't bad for a 10% beer, but I also don't like any alcohol character in my IPAs/DIPAs. A good DIPA, but overhyped I believe.

4.37/5  rDev +2.1%

Received this in a recent trade with Airfoil, thanks Tom!

This one appears about as dark an orange as I can imagine. Imagine a pumpkin starting to rot, not a nice analogy, but the color is appropriate. Wonderful hop aroma, nice and citrusy with some pine malt and spice.
T-wow, now I know why it's called a knuckle sandwich as it pretty much punches you in the face! Exceptional hop presence. I paired this with an Italian sausage and it really worked well together as the spice of the sausage really worked well with the hops. M is good and I am so glad to have gotten to try this!

4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottle poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass. I'd been searching for this one for awhile and then got two bottles as extras in the same week. Thanks Brian and Dom for hooking me up.

Nice ruby caramel colored body with a slightly off white head on top. Oh baby what a great aroma. Lots of citrus and tropical hop notes, a little sweetness. Some dank resiny notes in the background but mostly citrus and tropical hop aroma. Maybe a little alcohol in the aroma.

Taste follows the aroma, big tropical hop notes with a little citrus in the finish. Not too bitter but plenty hoppy. Finishes with a sweet pineappley note and a little booze. Medium bodied, kinda stricky with a fair amoun of carbonation

Overall a really solid beer and I can see why others like it so much. However I would like a little more bitterness and a little less alcohol aroma/flavor. I'd love to revisit this one again especially if I could get a super fresh growler.

3.79/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Thanks to PeprSprYoFace for sending me this.

Appearance: The appearance of this beer is phenomenal. A full cherry copper color with a rich, creamy white head. Sheets of lace have great cling.

Smell: The aroma is very sweet, and this sweetness begins the downfall of Knuckle Sandwich. Lots of full caramel notes balance or even overpower grapefruit and sticky pine aromas.

Taste: The malt presence is full and bready. A soft honey sweetness grows until it is a nearly out of control caramel bomb. Where are the hops? When the grapefruit, apricot, and pine bitterness finally come in, it is too little too late. The sweet malt controls the flavor the whole time. A light alcohol presence is noticeable at the end, but nothing out of the ordinary for a 10% DIPA.

Mouthfeel: The body is fuller than I would really prefer and almost chewy from the strong malt presence. The tight carbonation works well with the full body, providing a light creaminess and still guiding excess flavors off the tongue with each sip. A bit of alcohol burn in the back of the throat.

Overall: When I first started drinking IPA's, I liked beers that had a nice malt sweetness to go along with a strong hop presence. Now, just give me the hops. I can see why this is popular, it is just is not quite what I am looking for.

3.61/5  rDev -15.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a beautiful (seriously, gorgeous) dark orange with 2 fingers of white foam. The foam piles on top and lingers, coating the glass in a sticky lacing. However, it did fade - somewhat unusual for a DIPA.

Smell is a bit dissapointing for all the hype - lots of sweetness and honey malt, followed be a dollop of piney hops and a strong note of alcohol.

Taste is a lot like the nose - lots and lots of honey and malty sweetness, before finishing with bitter piney hops. Not much citrus. Reminds me a little bit of hopslam, only sweeter and not as hoppy. (I prefer hopslam)

Feel is good - medium bodied, a touch sticky, and nicely carbonated.

Overall - pretty tasty, but I don't get the hype around this one.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Across the bored a great DIPA! Pretty color, nice head. Great pine, and pineapple notes on the nose. Taste follows suit with the pine and pineaple and many floral notes. If this were easily accesible for me it would be on the top of my list for must haves all the time!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

22oz bottle received in a recent trade with Vanlingleipa. Thanks! Poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

A - Pours a near perfectly clear ruby tinted deep amber color. A thick and creamy finger + of tan foam rides on top for a long time. Slowly fades to a creamy, low cap with some foamy lacing left on the glass.

S - Smells very fresh...big hop aromas up front. Lots of citrus - oranges and tangerines, heavy grapefruit mixed with assertive pine notes too. Has an overall sweet and juicy character to it. Really not getting much of any malt character in here, which is a bit surprising to me given the color of this.

T - As expected, lots of hoppy flavors for a first impression. Bitter, but not overly bitter - hops focus more on the flavors than IBU's. Grapefruity, pineapple, a bit sweaty, piney. Unlike the aroma, there is a solid malt base that gives some hints of sugary sweetness which I think really enhances the citrusy hop flavors. A bit of alcohol noticed on the inhale and definitely gives a bit of a bite in the flavor too. A touch of butter on the finish, which is usually distracting to me, but somehow manages not to bother me here...can't explain it.

M - A solid medium body with a full creamy and smooth carbonation. Solid all around. Balance is pretty good...I suppose balance is the right term, but not really. This is most definitely a hop bomb, but manages to not seem over the top - hence the feel of balance.

O - I always wonder about these well-hyped IPA's/DIPA's. It seems that many of them are good but not great...just another good beer in a sea of good beers. This being said, this one really does stand out as an excellent example of the style. Definitely a hop lover's dream - tons of hop flavor in here - perhaps a bit more body than I'd ideally like to see, but I'm probably just nit-picking here. Definitely worth seeking out...not necessarily an easy one to get, but definitely worth the effort.

4.12/5  rDev -3.7%

The beer smeels of crisp citrus fruits with a bit of a resiny stinch as well. It pours a dark orange body with a sticky off white head. The beer is bitter upfront with a lingering sweetness at the end. The alcohol is hidden well but you can sense that after one bottle you probably will be able to feel a little buzz going. It is moderatly carbonated with a sticky texture to the beer. Overall this is a beer I would drink again and one I would love to always have around if that was possible.

3.99/5  rDev -6.8%

22oz bomber, thanks to DearthVader for the killer extra. This one was poured into my Duvel tulip.

Knuckle Sandwich pours pretty dark, it's straight up amber, moving towards a dark red. There are some very nice, clear light red highlights. There's a solid three fingers of light tan foam topping the beer, and it just sits there, taking its sweet time inching down the sides of the glass. Intricate webs of lacing are left behind, absolutely gorgeous looking beer. The nose is a little lacking in pungency, but there's a pretty nice orange aroma, with some caramel sweetness in the background. Caramel is present again at the front of the flavor profile, with a surprisingly mild hop bite following it. Back end hoppy flavors largely consist of the orange note from the nose, but with a bit of a citric tangerine element to it as well. The body is surprisingly light for a 10% beer, and it's paired with a nice bubbly carbonation. Knuckle Sandwich is a pretty tasty beer, and one with a less common hop profile. That said, with a name like that I was expecting much more of an all out hop assault.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

I got this bottle as a surprise substitute from DarthKostriter, thanks Cory! Taken from a 22 oz bottle and poured into a Stone glass.

A -Is this really an IPA? Nice color, medium head, if I didn't know it I would think it was a Stone Levitation. Have never had an IPA or DIPA that looks like this.

S: As soon as the bottle opens, the smell comes through. Awesome smell!

T: Very good tasting IPA, a different taste than most of the other IPAs I like.

M:Wow, 10% alcohol, the alcohol is masked very well, do not really taste it at all.

O:This is a very good beer. If I had this in a blind taste test, would not think it was an IPA. I really enjoyed this one, it went down very fast and feeling the effects of 22 oz and 10% abv!

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

My contribution to the debouchery

A-nice red color with a nice white head

S-not very strong on the hops. Piney and malty

T-very malty with a slight bit of hhops. Hops are more in the aftertaste. Good beer but a slight dipa

M-medium body and smooth

O-good beer but I wouldn't say it was on par with all the normal double ipas

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

On-tap at Bootlegger's tasting room

Wow. Didn't expect this from Bootlegger's. This one pours a dark amber, almost copper in color. I could smell this thing on the bar as soon as the lovely barmaid set it down. It smelled of sweet, and citrus fruits, and upon closer inspection, the pungent hops and sweet malts filled my nostrils. This brew tastes just like a world class DIPA should. Potent of hops and citrus, but also a sweet backend from the malts. There's a slight burn of alcohol, but not very noticeable. Very well hidden, just enough to warm the chest. For being such a manly beer, the mouthfeel is very light and refreshing, with just the perfect amount of carbonation. Overall, I would say this is definitely one of the best DIPA's I've had. Up there with the juggernauts of IPA's. Definitely worth hyping this one up. Go get yourself some. Cheers.

4.42/5  rDev +3.3%

Appears a somewhat hazy amber with a light brown head.

It smells of grassy dank hops, caramel like malts. I get a nice pine like hop flavor and a mild bread like malty smell. there is also a mild citrus flavor. the smell is a equal mix of hops and malts.

It tastes initially of pine and grassy hops and mild toffee. I get a mild citrus orange like hop flavor. I get a malty bread-like and rich flavor from the beer. it ends with a mild hoppy bitterness that is paired with a nice sweetness. It is a perfect blend of hops and malts.

It has a somewhat thick and creamy mouth feel with moderate carbonation.

Overall a malt heavy but still hoppy DIPA. It tastes kind of like a west coast take on a English style imperial IPA. though I like lighter DIPAs This is a great beer.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Ah, the ultimate balance of sweet malt and hops.

This beer pours as a non-remarkable brownish-amber that is topped with a 1/4" head and sticky, thick lacing clinging to the side of the glass.

The warmth and spiciness of the malt is almost like biting into a sweet bread, the taste sensation is felt in the sweet spots of the tongue and in the back of the mouth. Then the simcoe hops come in with a delicious bitterness. Wonderfully balanced with the malt.

Truly one of the top DIPAs currently brewed in the country.

2.86/5  rDev -33.2%

Served out of a 22oz bomber from the last release in July.

A - Standard yellow IPA/DIPA color. Generous head.

S - Alcohol, followed by hoppy pine and citrus smells.

T - More alcohol. This DIPA feels so imbalanced. Tons of malt flavor and really warm alcohol.

M - Great carbonation, finishes well.

O - Am I drinking the same beer as everyone else? I've had this and thought it was pretty bad. I had a small tasting and other people thought the same thing (note: different bottles that I did not buy). I feel like there are far better DIPAs out there then this.

Knuckle Sandwich from Bootlegger's Brewery