Knuckle Sandwich | Bootlegger's Brewery

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a nonic.

Two fingers of fluffy off white head atop a clear amber body. Amazing retention and lacing.

Smells of orange, pine, grapefruit and hints of lemon. A total citrus bomb.

Tastes follows smell. Just tons of hoppy citrus goodness. I don't know what else to say, it's quite awesome. Pretty big maltiness to balance out the hoppiness.

Heavy end of full bodied. Well carbonated with a huge bitter and spicy bite at the end.

I need more of this beer in my life.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.23/5  rDev -1.2%

My contribution to the debouchery

A-nice red color with a nice white head

S-not very strong on the hops. Piney and malty

T-very malty with a slight bit of hhops. Hops are more in the aftertaste. Good beer but a slight dipa

M-medium body and smooth

O-good beer but I wouldn't say it was on par with all the normal double ipas

3.97/5  rDev -7.2%

4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

If I'm not mistaken, this is the highest I've ever rated a beer. Damn near perfect in appearance, smell, taste, mouthfeel and drinkability. Knuckle freakin' Sandwich from Bootlegger Brewery in Fullerton, CA. Thank you, Martin, for this in a trade. Thank you, me, for asking for it. Holy cow. This may be a new Top5 beer. Definitely my top IPA. And I had it side by side with Pliny the Elder.

In appearance it's a robust and deep amber that's nearly clear, with brilliant head and lacing throughout. That head smells like floral and sweet hops aromas paired with a perfect malt balance that's full of caramel. The taste begins malty caramel with hops, then the hops really take effect, and then it finishes clean. As it warms, the finish with hops bitterness becomes more evident, but it stays mild. So somehow the folks at Bootleggers have figured out how to pull out the brilliance of the citrus, pine, and floral elements of hops without having the bitterness be overwhelming. A bready character to the malts is probably part of it.

This isn't just drinkable. It's all I want. The carbonation is perfect and fills the mouth on every sip - even to the end of the bottle. Even the booze, at 10%, is in perfect balance. I don't even notice it. My adrenaline is pumping I'm so excited. I must have more.

End review. I just don't have any other words.

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured a nice bright clear amber color with a slight ruby tone. Nice frothy tan head with decent retention and lacing.

Amazing nose. Very nice sweet citrussy notes including orange peel and sweet ruby red grapefruit.

Amazing balanced flavor. Excellent sugary malt character on the back end supporting the great citrus and floral hop notes. Very nice aftertaste like a grapefruit-sugar brulee.

Nice full bodied mouthfeel that is creamy yet a tad tacky coating the entire palate. Good carbonation.

Overall this is one of the beat DIPAs out there. The nose is Perfect. The flavor is amazing and So Well Balanced. We need more hop production so we can get more of this stuff made!

4.84/5  rDev +13.1%