Crown Brown Ale Aged In Wine Barrels With Raspberries | Crown Brewing

Crown Brewing
Indiana, United States
crownbrewing.com

Style: American Brown Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by JohnnyHopps on 03-12-2014

4.1

Reviews by JohnnyHopps:
3.96/5  rDev 0%

This beer was Crown's big release for Christmas shoppers in 2013. Of course, I am just getting to it around St. Patrick's Day.

Appearance - The ale was a murky brown color with red hues mixed. A head of tightly packed bubbles topped the glass.

Smell - I can definitely smell the raspberries and it certainly smells like real raspberries. No extracts were used here. The Earthiness of the brown comes through somewhat.

Taste - The sourness of the raspberry jumps out in the initial. One might have to search for anything beyond the raspberries. There is a slight maltiness that hides in the background, but the raspberries dominate. The aging comes through in the aftertaste. The dry oakiness of the wine barrels bring a great contrast to the sourness of the raspberries. Its nice.

Mouthfeel - Though this is a brown, it feels a lot more like a sour in terms of the mouthfeel. It goes down rather easily.

Overall - If I remember correctly, I paid $20 for the bottle. My wife likes it, and I guess that's what is important. It is not a great beer, but a solid effort by a small local brewpub.

4.65/5  rDev 0%