Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Kill 'Em Ale | Crown Brewing

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by mrandypandy on 09-14-2010

Reviews by JohnnyHopps:
3.73/5  rDev -0.3%

I am not a big fan of the single IPA Crown makes (Special Forces), so my hopes were not high for this. Still, I was pleasantly surprised. The beer was a copper color served with a half inch head. The aroma was hoppy and mildly skunky. The aroma profile was similar to their neighbor brewery Three Floyds. The taste was a mild grapefruit and pineapple with various sour flavors making appearances. The taste surprisingly sticks to the roof of the mouth, which is a new beer experience for me. The aftertaste was a mild letdown because of strange almost metallic flavor that seems to have hints of cinnamon. I am a fan of DIPAs and would have this one again. It is a solid effort from Crown.

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

2.68/5  rDev -28.3%

6oz taster followed by a 10oz pour at the brewery.

A - Poured a dark orange, hazy, thin white head. Poor retention but good lacing.
S - Hops. Lots of hops. Menu says CTZ in the brew and fermenter with Glacier in the serving tank. It shows.
T - Sadly, this does not taste as good as it smells. The hop presence is overpowered by the sheer sweetness of the malts. I also detect medicinal qualities in addition to the astringent nature of the beer. Not what I was hoping for.
M - Mouthfeel is good. Thick, heavy, but bogged down by the sweetness.
D - Low. Bad taste profile and heavy nature of the beer bog this down. I wish I had ordered something else.

Overall - Not recommended. Sure, it looks and smells pretty, but falls flat everywhere else. With all the great IIPA's out there, skip this if you can.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%