Shakedown Brown | Black Market Brewing Co.

Shakedown BrownShakedown Brown

Formerly Anglo-American Style Brown Ale

Added by SShelly on 12-06-2009

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
4.66/5  rDev +32%

This rating is hereby justified.

4.5/5  rDev +27.5%

4.43/5  rDev +25.5%

Had on tap at The Public House in Temecula. This brew has improved dramatically since my first tasting of it.

A - Dark brown, with a VERY creamy off white head. I had almost thought this beer was poured on a Nitro Tap when it was first brought out to me.

S - Sweet caramel blend with an nutty almond aroma, little to no hop aroma, very aromatic.

T - Close to the smell, you get a sweet caramel/nutty taste that is very refreshing. Hops are a little more prevalent in the taste then the aroma but are still hide behind the malty characteristics.

M - CREAMY, I think feel like this was poured on a Nitro! I didn't ask but it was one of the most creamy beers that I have tasted.

D - This entire beer is probably one of the best browns that I can remember tasting. A nutty caramel delight that I will definitely drink more of!

4.02/5  rDev +13.9%

Had at the brewery on tap after finishing a flight for the temecula valley homebrewers contest (i.e. I will do a better review when I have it on its own!)

Dark brown with a moderate head, lots of hops in the aroma.

A pretty untraditional brown with lots of hop flavor and bitterness outwaying the slightly toasty/bready qualities of the malt.

Overall I really enjoyed this, not a style I would go out of my way to aquire but the hop profile really lends some good aspects to it.

22 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Pours a very deep, dark mahogany with 2 fingers of oatmeal colored head that quickly dissolved into a thin lacing of foam that gripped the sides of the glass and covered the top of the beer in wispy clouds.

Aroma: Very malty, followed by lots of floral hops notes. I get biscuits, toffee, roasted nuts, honey and clover. Very aromatic.

Taste: Like the aroma, the flavor is very malty and nutty, followed by some toffee sweetness and finished with some nicely balanced hops bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium and very smooth, almost stout smooth. There’s some good carbonation, but not as much as I was expecting, considering the amount of head present upon the pour. At an ABV of 5.5%, there is no alcohol presence on the palate.

Overall: This is a damn tasty brown ale!! I’ve never heard of this brewery, but thanks to this brown ale, it is now on my radar. I’ll certainly be getting this beer again, and will be on the lookout for other offerings from this brewery!

3.97/5  rDev +12.5%

Had this on tap at Black Market Brewing Co. tasting room in Temcula. Had it in a taster flight first, but then ordered a full pint.

The beer pours a cloudy dark brown, with a inch or so of off-white colored head, that quickly settled.

Nice nutty aroma's, much like fresh roasted almonds. Also get a bit of toast as well.

Taste is of roasted malt, caramel, nuts, and very sligh hops bitterness to balance it out. It's quite refreshing.

Mouthfeel is creamy, medium to light carbonation, and goes down smooth and easy.

Overall, for me this was the best of the four they were pouring that day. I like brown ales, and this was a great reprentation for the style.

3.91/5  rDev +10.8%

Received as an extra in a trade from FosterJM. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice dark brown with a big, three finger light khaki head that fades to leave thick side lacing and a nice thick creamy blanket. Very, very nice.

S - Lots of nice roasted malts and some subtle sweetness. Light, almost coffee like aroma as well. Actually not bad at all.

T - Taste isnt bad either. Good balance between roasted malts, light chocolate/coffee, and faint hops. Very well balanced with each flavour clear and distinct.

M - Mouthfeel is solid as well, lightly creamy with just a little bit of carbonation.

O - Overall this really wasnt a bad brown ale. Definately better than the rAvg suggests.

3.9/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Draft service into a shaker pint at Beachwood BBQ.

A: Clear, dark brown color with less than one finger of off-white foam head. Scant lacing remains on the glass.

S: Mild roasted malt smells most strongly of milk chocolate. Slight carbonic acid is detected, but does not become off-putting.

T: Begins off-dry, with nutty brown malt and balanced acidity. Charcoal and some estery fruit emerge in the middle but remain restrained. The finish is smooth and earthy with an appropriate level of mild bitterness.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, creamy on the palate yet with a slight acidic bite, and with low carbonation.

D: Agreeable flavors of moderate intensity make this brown ale a recent stand-out for the style. It is strongest when enjoyed in the presence of roasted and earthy food (such as the wild mushroom stew at Beachwood BBQ), but still enjoyable enough on its own when the creaminess can be appreciated.

3.88/5  rDev +9.9%

This is a good brown ale IMO. Very nutty and kinda reminds my of BJ's Brewhouse's Nutty Brunette but better. I would definitely drink this one again. The beer has some coffee notes to it as well which was nice. In the tasting Flight I had at the brewery I would say this was my 3rd favorite behind the the Hef and the Rye IPA.

3.84/5  rDev +8.8%

3.78/5  rDev +7.1%

Very clean brown ale. Pretty much what you would expect with the style. Nice thick head, malty body with just a hint of hops. I really enjoyed the toffee flavors I got out of this one. Not many straight forward browns left in SoCal so this one will be one of my favorites.

Nice brew from a up and coming brewery.

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

3.75/5  rDev +6.2%

3.72/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

General - This beer was from a bottle that poured this into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance - Great brown color amber color to this beer, really fitting to the style. Head is a very nice tannish color with some great retention.

Smell - There is a touch of chocolate or toffee with this aroma. Great scent, but interestingly I had to remove some of the head to be able to get a real scent.

Taste - An expected taste for a brown ale but there are some unique characteristics. There is a chocolate overtone associated with it and a good malty basis. Interestingly the bottle says that there are around 40 IBUs in this beer, but it's not really "in your face" bitterness. I think that the backbone of malt in this almost hides the true bitterness.

Mouthfeel - The mouthfeel is medium low to medium. One thing is that this beer is REALLY carbonated. It sizzles the entire way down, part of the reason for the really incredible head. I think that it's probably a little more than is needed but I'm ok with it and it is fitting for this style.

Overall - Ok I'm good with this. It is a good example of a brown ale, not something that will rock your world and make you only want to drink this but if you are in the mood for a brown ale it won't disappoint. This brewery is in Temecula, a few hours away from me but I think that I'll make a trip down there eventually to check it out. I look forward to trying some of their other beers!

3.66/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.62/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at The Golden State Cafe in Los Angeles, CA.

Pours a murky dark brown with a 1/2 inch foamy tan head that settles to a film on top of the beer. Foamy chunks of lace form around the glass on the drink down. Smell is of roasty malt with some nice nutty and fruity aromas. Taste is of roasty malt, cocoa, and nutty flavors. There is a medium herbal bitterness on the palate after each sip. This beer has a light level of carbonation with a medium bodied mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer but it's pretty damn hoppy for a brown ale which I guess explains the name in a sense.

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Shakedown Brown from Black Market Brewing Co.