Rye IPA | Black Market Brewing Co.

good
Rye IPARye IPA

Black Market Brewing Co.
blackmarketbrew.com

Style: Rye Beer

Added by Beerandraiderfan on 01-20-2011

Top of the line IPA, this one and black markets liberation IPA are fantastic. this one exceeded my expectations. give this one a try and if your in the area of Temecula check out this brewery.

4.87/5  rDev +32.7%

Good local beer! Have had both on tap and bottle and flavor is identical. Tap; dark orange with >inch head. Smells sweet with hint of citrus (and I mean hint) r
Flavors Carmel malt citrus and light pine hops. finish with a hint of spice. Bottle was almost the same except a little more hops to my Taste

4.84/5  rDev +31.9%

4.83/5  rDev +31.6%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.8/5  rDev +30.8%

This is a great IPA. I am a fan of West coast citrusy IPA's with the traditional IPA punch.
This IPA has all the above but is also smooth, its like the best of both worlds. Personally I LOVE this IPA, wish they had 6 packs..well done Black Market!!

If you are an IPA fan this is 100% worth trying, a really great Brew!

PS- some of my other favorite "go to" IPA's include Pliney the Elder, Racer 5 and Green Flash. This IPA fits perfectly (IMO) with the above mentioned.

4.78/5  rDev +30.2%

From Colagallo. In shaker glass, st Hotel Carmen in Granada. Geiser when opened but I transported it very badly. Smooth, resinous and with tasty tropical fruits notes. Very drinkable. Explosion of aroma when opened

4.66/5  rDev +27%

Even though I live in Seattle I really don't like hops to be the focus of my beer. That said, this is the best IPA I have had for my tastes. The light spiciness from the rye works well alongside the the normal hop flavors giving it some balance. There's also added complexity with a large amount of fruit and light floral-ness (although not as strongly scented as I would expect from the flavor) instead of focusing on overpowering bitterness. I'm not sure how the hops-lovers will feel about it, but I found it overall to be one of the few hops-focused beers with enough other flavor to make it interesting instead of one-sided.

4.45/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I am not sure why other people don't like this beer but this was my favorite one from the tasting flight I had at the brewery. I guess when it comes to IPA's I am not among the group of beer snobs that needs an IPA to kill my palate. I actually like an IPA that you can drink more than one of. The bar tender at the brewery actually said this was a gold medal winner at the Great American Brew Fest. I can see why because I enjoyed it quite a bit. She also told me they were going to be installing a 60 barrel system soon from I think she said they currently had 15 or 16. So it looks like they are definitely expanding. She said they attend to start bottling later on this year.

I have been drinking good craft beers for around 10 years now but have never been able to pick up flavors that others do in their reviews. That being said here is my attempt :)

A: Dark Amber Color.

S: Nice Citrus notes and kinda a sweet smell.

T: You can taste the citrus and also a nice hop bite but nothing overpowering. Also a tad bit of sweetness.

M: Not too heavy or light; easy to drink.

O: I really enjoy this beer and can't wait till they bottle it.

4.3/5  rDev +17.2%

I put this on tap (Hoffer's) and it lasted just a few days. The viscosity of this citrus heavy brew was like molasses. I couldn't believe how thick and syrupy this came out of the faucet. Very difficult to create any kind of head on this beer but weirdly enough, tons of lacing were left on the glass. Amazing citrus and hop overwhelms the nose on the initial gulp. Mouth feel lingers on the tongue and the roof of your mouth. Although really thick and hop heavy, this RYE IPA was incredibly easy to drink and had just the right amount of carbonation. I don't think this beer will be for those expecting a large amount of actual rye flavor. The flavor of the hops almost completely over powers it, but if you're looking for a damn good IPA with just a touch of RYE then I would highly suggest this one.

4.29/5  rDev +16.9%

Live Review, On tap at Barley and Hops Olde World "Family" Tavern 12/17/11

Second time with this beer, the first time was at the brewery...

Appearance; Translucent gold with touches of yellow at the edges and a light chestnut toward the heart of the glass... Minimal head on my pour although my friend's had a nice one finger head... Quickly disappearing leaving a ring of bubbles and some decent lacing.

Smell; Good citrus notes, hints of fresh hop and pine.

Taste; Again good solid citrus, well balanced with no dominating or overwhelming flavors and a slight sweetness... This is my kind of IPA, I'm not getting a ton of pine (which is a turn off for me) and a relatively short bitter finish (again something I like, I am not a fan of ridiculously long bitter finishes on IPA's)

Mouthfeel; is smooth and lightly effervescent, lively I think is a better term, not overly carbonated, seems just right...

Overall; this is a great IPA that I enjoy quite a bit... I am not the biggest fan of IPA's although that has been changing a bit lately... I'll revisit this at some point as my tastes continue to change, by as it stands now, this is a very solid IPA that I wouldn't hesitate to drink when the mood strikes.

4.28/5  rDev +16.6%

4.24/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.22/5  rDev +15%

On-tap at Eureka!Burger Claremont

A: The pour is amber in color with a nice big tan head and some sticky lacing.

S: Wonderful citrus aromas right away. Nicely floral, and combined with the grapefruit and tropical notes, makes for a very fragrant beer. A touch of sweetness with a hint of rye in the background.

T: More of the same on the flavor. Perhaps a touch sweet, but the great hop flavors make up for it. Grapefruit, tangerine, and hints of pineapple along with a nice bitter pine flavor. The rye provides a nice bread quality.

M: Medium in body with a medium carbonation.

O: Another good beer in the growing trend of hoppy rye beers.

4.2/5  rDev +14.4%

A - Pours a slightly hazy golden-orange with a finger of frothy white head. The head fades down at a fairly slow pace leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - Aroma is a mix of sweet caramel malts, spicy rye, with grapefruit, citrus, and pine hops.

T - Starts off with grapefruit, citrus, and pine hops with some sweet caramel malts and a bit of rye. Through the middle, pine hops come through with some more bitterness alongside more spicy and earth rye. The finish is a mix of grapefruit and pine hops, bitterness, spicy rye, and some caramel malts.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Feels smooth with a sweet, dry, and spicy finish.

D - Very drinkable. Great rye flavor with good overall balance and a nice hop profile.

4.18/5  rDev +13.9%

A rock solid IPA from these guys; this is the only beer of theirs I've had.

Nice dark caramel pour, clean and clear. Foamy off white head of about 3 fingers. Rocky in the middle. Sparse yet sticky lacing.

Aromas of pine and grapefruit dance around, with a bit of caramel and bready spice. Some booze. it does give off more of a citrus vibe than earthy

Flavors are great and down to Earth. Nothing overpowering or arrogant here. Citrus, pine, green grass and pomello fruit. The caramel and rye blend nicely with each other and give the finish and bit of a zip along with the bitterness hops.

Great beer. Not over the top, and is more of what I think what an IPA should be

4.17/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

An underrated beer in my opinion, but I like rye beers. Got a can of this during a recent California visit. Nice rye smell and taste. It looks great too, beautiful head and lacing. I would buy this again if available in Texas!

4.14/5  rDev +12.8%

4.07/5  rDev +10.9%

Rye IPA from Black Market Brewing Co.