Coffee Oatmeal Stout | Good People Brewing Company

Good People Brewing Company
Alabama, United States
goodpeoplebeer.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Big coffee flavors dominate early only to be wiped out by an enormous about of Willamette hop flavors. One of GPBC’s most requested beers. Complex and full of flavor yet amazingly sessionable. Brewed with coffee from Octane Coffee Roasters here in Birmingham, AL.

Added by Bonhoeffer on 10-10-2008

4.2

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%

I had this one on tap at the Brewery. It was served in a 16 oz glass.

The beer is a dark brown with a decent beige head.

The nose is of coffee, some dark fruit and something sweet like brown sugar.

I liked this one. The coffee was evident but not overpowering. The oatmeal adds a nice sweetness that balances the bitterness from the coffee and the roasted malts.

The mouth is slick with midlevel carbonation. I would like to see it thicker but the medium mouth made it easy to have a couple.

Just a really nice, well-made beer.

4.07/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

4.45/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

3.65/5  rDev -10.5%

3.98/5  rDev -2.5%

4.05/5  rDev -0.7%

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

3.79/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I think this is the second-best offering from Good People behind their Juco IPA. Both the coffee and oatmeal come through. Color and feel is typical of the style. They do well to mass produce this.

3.5/5  rDev -14.2%

4.09/5  rDev +0.2%

3.8/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.06/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.41/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Bought in a six pack of 12 ounce cans. Delivered to my fridge in a 2008 Hyundai Santa Fe and poured one by one directly into my mouth.

This is probably the most drinkable stout out there. The flavor definitely has coffee undertones but the coffee flavor doesn't overwhelm the pallet. It's not too sweet and not too dry - just right. The mouthfeel is much lighter than you might expect from something that uses the combination of words "coffee", "oatmeal", and "stout", but the word "good" is on the can, too, so there's that. I have to say that this is my go-to beer. I really love it.

Good People tend to overfill their cans. The resulting spills have put coffee stains on all of my wife beaters. By wife beater I am referring to my sleeveless t-shirts, not my collection of abusive husbands. They're still mint.

3.77/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.74/5  rDev +16.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Canned in August, poured to mason drinking jar in October.
L: So dark. Dark cocoa head, big.
S: Dark roasted coffee and dark chocolate with a floral hop in the background. Inviting. A smidge of rich fruitcake too. Not very loud. I would like it to be more aromatic.
T: Oh my! This is so good! Very flavorful. Matches the nose but in a more present and dominant way. Deep. Rich. Getting the coffee in the aftertaste.
F: Smooth, creamy and stout. It's what it should be. Medium to full bodied but I could imagine it being enjoyed by anyone. Nice thickness.
O: Bought a pint of this on tap a while back and it wasn't good. I must have gotten a stale pour because this can is good! Really good. Would love to see an Imperial version! Thanks to the good people at Good People for making the end of this Friday a great one. This beer is now a staple that I will highly recommend.

3.96/5  rDev -2.9%

2.95/5  rDev -27.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.21/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.25/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.34/5  rDev +6.4%

Look - gently poured, pours black with a thin light tan head like a latte. Looks inviting.
Smell- roasted coffee, dark malt, light chocolate. Has a very fresh smell unlike some other coffee stouts I've had that smell extract like Or of stale day old coffee.
Taste- upfront coffee notes as it should. A very nice natural coffee flavor. Bitter in the middle with the hops coming through towards the end. The bitterness falls off towards the end which I appreciate. It leaves me wanting to go back for another sip/swig! I think that is the first 5 I have rated for taste!
Feel- the mouthfeel is lighter than I expected for an oatmeal stout. Not slippery or oily. Carbonation is pronounced and keeps the beer alive and kicking throughout my tasting experience. Might be too much if drunk in the the can but I have not tried one in the can yet.
Overall- my wife brought me this back to Texas from Alabama tonight (isn't she nice!). This is a solid offering from this brewery and she brought another beer to try from Good People (IPA I believe) that I look forward to trying. I could drink several of these easily. I think I will!

3.74/5  rDev -8.3%