Coffee Oatmeal Stout | Good People Brewing Company

Good People Brewing Company
Alabama, United States
goodpeoplebeer.com

Style: Oatmeal Stout

Big coffee flavors dominate early only to be wiped out by an enormous about of Willamette hop flavors. One of GPBC’s most requested beers. Complex and full of flavor yet amazingly sessionable. Brewed with coffee from Octane Coffee Roasters here in Birmingham, AL.

Added by Bonhoeffer on 10-10-2008

2.09/5  rDev -48.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

After looking forward to trying this beer for a while, I have to say I did not enjoy it at all unfortunately. Looked like an average stout at the pour; trended toward dark brown hues rather than the pitch black color of other stouts. Aroma was faint coffee...not much else. Taste was extremely unbalanced to me: all I got from it was bitter, astringent coffee grounds. No oatmeal sweetness at all. Very chalky tasting and extremely thin bodied as well. I guess I was hoping for something along the lines of Terrapin WNB with this one and it just didn't come anywhere near stacking up. I have enjoyed other offerings from Good People, but this is by far the worst thing I have tried from them to date.

2.13/5  rDev -47.7%

2.25/5  rDev -44.7%

2.5/5  rDev -38.6%

2.91/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured from a can into a pint glass. Pretty dark, held up to a light you can just see some coming through the sides. Thin tan head. I didn't pick up much of anything in the smell deptartment. Taste seemed lacking too. Maybe weak, cold coffee. Felt a little bubbly or carbonated kinda like a lager. Wasn't a bad beer, I was just expecting more since it had such a high score.

2.98/5  rDev -26.8%

I Had this beer on tap at the Good People brewpub and was impressed (admittedly, I had low expectations). It wasn't life changing, but dependable enough for me to buy a six pack the next day. Unfortunately, the bottled version is much too carbonated and somewhat overhopped. The Williamette hops are more apparent than the coffee by a wide margin, and the mouthfeel is almost shockingly rough for an oatmeal stout, generally prized, of course, for a soft yet robust chewiness. This beer is certainly off the mark for its style, and sadly fails carve out a satisfying niche of its own. Perhaps worth a try if you place a great value on trying new things. It is not a complete failure, but neither is it a worthy successor to its esteemed predecessors (FBS, Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout).

Coffee presence is nice but there is a bitterness that I just cant get into on it

3.01/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I don't know why it's rated 91. Tastes like a watered-down Black Pale Ale. I'm not getting any coffee or oatmeal either. Way over-hopped for an Oatmeal Stout.

3.03/5  rDev -25.6%

Smell was predominately of cold coffee with roasted malts. Not a surprise to anybody considering the name, I suppose.

Pours midnight black with a small, dark brown head. Lacing isn't too substantial.

Taste is full of cold espresso and roasted notes...although other than that I don't much more of anything. I'd struggle to say this is an oatmeal stout if I didn't already know that it was. There is a hop character on the finish, with a decent bitterness closing the beer out, which wasn't a surprise given the description above. Mouthfeel seemed rather thin for style.

All in all I thought it was fine but perhaps I didn't think as highly of it as most seem to.

3.04/5  rDev -25.3%

3.04/5  rDev -25.3%

Look- the best part, deep, dark, black with a bubbles steaming up the sides.

Smell- it could be me, but I smell nothing from this stout. Very weak. Very faint hints of cold brew coffee

Taste- again, the flavor profiles don't jump off the tongue, it taste like weak iced coffee

Feel- it coats the mouth oily, initially but fades almost instantly. No burn or kick in the aftertaste.

Overall- the best world that comes to mind is flimsy. It has no punch at all. I've tasted many better oatmeal, coffee stouts. Sorry, probably won't get this one again

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

3.23/5  rDev -20.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Not bad, but definitely not a go to beer for me.

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%

3.33/5  rDev -18.2%

Rock solid look and smell, with coffee clearly dominating the profile. But that same domination in the taste isn't particularly pleasant and comes off as almost artificial. The mouth feel is also very thin and watery, which isn't what I want in an oatmeal stout. Not a bad beer by any means, but I was hoping for more.

Coffee Oatmeal Stout from Good People Brewing Company