Snake Handler Double IPA | Good People Brewing Company

Freshness: Canned on 12-05-2012
Packaging: 12 oz. can
Glassware: Tulip
Purchased: 4-pack from Great Spirits, Huntsville AL

A: The beer is a bright, hazy orange color with a cream-colored small head. Head retention isn't much but I do get a nice amount of lace.

S: Aromas are first of big and assertive citrus hops, then followed by a malty sweetness and fruity quality. I really like the smell on this beer.

T: The taste begins with some sweet caramel malts which quickly give way to a punch in the face of bold grapefruit hops. Alcohol warmth is noted.

M: Highly carbonated and full-bodied. Finishes with lots of hop bitterness with enough malts to keep them honest.

O: Overall I enjoyed this potent DIPA. It's not a style I usually like, but the balance in this one makes it a real treat.

3.38/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Sigh . . . Must have gotten my hands on an old can. Way to malty. If this can is anywhere close to being fresh I am having trouble seeing this being a world-class beer.

4.85/5  rDev +16.6%

I've been searching for the next big DIPA that truly satisfies my taste buds, and I have found one finally. I was skeptical of this beer because it's not from the northeast or California. My initial question was, "can a brewery in Alabama really put out a dynamic DIPA that is juicy, full of hop goodness, and hit my palate like a runaway train?" Surely not. Surely all those good ratings and reviews I see are from homers that just want to support their local brewery.

I was proved wrong. This beer is very smooth and it's everything I want in a DIPA. It's got a nice, subtle malt backbone that is present, but it doesn't overwhelm you like a lot of breweries versions of a DIPA. I do sense the caramel and biscuit notes coming through softly. As I finished my first sip the 5 varieties of hops smacked me in the face like they are supposed to. There was a lot of pine, citrus, and hint of pineapple coming through on this beer. It's very nice. A lot of people like to use the word balance when describing beer. To me, this beer balances everything quite nice.

According to the website, it's now over 10% ABV, instead of the 9.3 listed, and 100+ Ibu's. If you're not wanting a hop lover's beer, don't buy this. I understand it's not for everyone. But, for the hop heads, we all should rejoice. I feel ashamed I have never searched out this beer before now. I was really missing out.

4.01/5  rDev -3.6%

The beer comes in a rich red orange.

The aroma hits with a pop of sweetness and big resinous qualities and pine.

The flavor follows with pine, resinous hops, grapefruit, and a touch of pineapple surrounded by a big malty character and some caramel sweetness. The beer is heavy and full on the bitterness on the finish.

Clean, but the maltiness and bitterness drags down the beer a good amount. Reminds me towards older recipes like Odell Myrcenary and Hopslam.

3.52/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not sure about the can date, but assuming its fresh like i was told, this is a dissapointment.

Nothing but malts and a little alcohol note. The best part about this beer is in the nose where you get sweet tropical fruits. But you take a sip and just a complete malt bomb.

4.02/5  rDev -3.4%

4.74/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

4.33/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.75/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Orangy amber in color with lots or whitish creamy head. Great lacing and persistent head. Aroma is caramel and some hoP bitterness. Taste is about the same with some orangey citrus. Medium body, high carbonation. Good brew. I'd drink this again, but not go out if my way for it.

3.58/5  rDev -13.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear, bright yellow in color, with 1/4 inch head. Taste is dank hops, hemp, and grapefruit. Medium bodied and bitter. Makes for a solid sipper. I have other DIPAs I prefer, but this one is good and worth a try.

4.04/5  rDev -2.9%

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

3.5/5  rDev -15.9%

3.42/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Can (2013)

Thanks for opening this with me, DarthKostrizer!

Clear dark copper and amber. Fairly large near-white head. Fairly sticky.

Some tropical and pine notes in the aroma along with some sweet malt caramel as well.

Sweet IPA, with decent amount of hop bitterness, and a little bit of sticky pine. A touch of alcohol presence. A hint of citrus character.

Medium body with moderate carbonation. Big and sticky.

Decent, but nothing to seek out again.

2.75/5  rDev -33.9%

4.03/5  rDev -3.1%

4.12/5  rDev -1%

Growler shared by unclejedi - thanks!

Pours a deep copper color with a one-finger off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells very good - robust caramel and pale malt aromas serve as a backbone to loads of citrus and tropical fruit hop notes.

Tastes good. Caramel malt flavors start things off before making way for good amounts of citrus and milder amounts of tropical fruit flavors. The hops fade surprisingly quickly and muddled malt flavors take over and carry through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is good. I didn't have a problem finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall I was all set for this one to blow me away after getting my nose over the glass however the malt flavors didn't seem to agree with the rest of what was going on. Still, a good beer but with a few tweaks it could be great.

4.24/5  rDev +1.9%

4.75/5  rDev +14.2%

4.25/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.79/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.5/5  rDev +8.2%

3.99/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Snake Handler Double IPA from Good People Brewing Company