Killer Whale Cream Ale | Bold City Brewery

3.23/5
Alströms:

1.75/5  rDev -45.8%

1.85/5  rDev -42.7%

Well it fits the style its a ale like bud, decent but nothing great in fact most of Brain beers with the exception of the IPA and white wheat ale, taste all about the same good but bland. I mean its beer, it gives you a buzz and its local fresh and cheap, if it was not Cheap I would not buy it to be honest. Seems its too 7 b like to me, the guy needs to break out and do something different.

A: clear yellow , no yeast, its filtered, little head when poured into a pint glass maybe 1/2 inch tops

S: some bread, very very faint hops

T: crisp, clean, bland, some what pilsner like, BMC like, not my favorite, some light bread, no hops

M: lite body, kind of watery

D: it goes down ok, but has a twang after taste, I did not think it was that great its decent but I did not want another.

2.03/5  rDev -37.2%

Had this a few times around town before I decided to render judgment.

A: pale yellow in color, some head not much, I think its too cold.
Temperature check yep its 36F right out of the tap.

S: sweet bread, and some malt nose, with a faint detection of hops. not much here.

T: humm can you say bud? very light in flavor, some sweet malt, not yeast, spicy faint hops. very bland.

m: light body. medium carbonation

D: well tastes and drinks like bud to me, which I hate, some since I hate this beer, not much to say, other that so long.

2.28/5  rDev -29.4%

Bold City Cream Ale
Poured from a 12 oz bottle into my DFH Signature glass
A: Pours a cloudy, straw colored yellow with no head.
S: Like a generic lager with some lemon and a little funkiness.
T: Bland, tastes like a cheap lager i.e. Budweiser; I thought this was supposed to be a cream ale, where’s the ale? Where’s the cream? Maybe some slight lemon flavor.
M: Same, Generic and slightly skunky despite only buying this two weeks ago.
O: Not impressed, better than PBR that’s about it. C

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%

Poured into a pint glass at kickbacks
Reviewed from notes

A-Pours ultra gold. Oddly thiny fizzy head for a cream ale with not much lace or bubbles.

S-very very light aroma a little sweetness and some very faint indistinguishable hops.

T-A mild amount of sweetness and a splash of citrus and no creaminess. Weak flavors all around and a funky odd aftertaste that lingers.

M-Oddly the mouthfeel saves this beer for the most part. Its almost what it should be for the style maybe a little on the fizzy side.

D-Drinkability of this beer is as high as it is light. I did not really care for its flavors that much but if you did this would be a very drinkable beer for you. I did try the Dukes brown ale after this and enjoyed it much better but didnt have the time to review it. In the future however I will pass on this one.

2.58/5  rDev -20.1%

My first offering from Bold City - though not spectacular, definitely better than the last cream ale I had...

My oldest son (drinking age, of course) brings home a can of this stuff trying to show dear old dad how he's getting the hang of this craft beer jazz. And what does he bring? A cream ale. Knowing full well the last we we drank tasted like liquid-ashtray. I've been avoiding cream ales since. But no fear he tells me, this one's way better, and in some regards it is, but still not something I will be looking for on my own.

This brew reminds me more of a wheat beer than a cream ale from it's look and smell - the distinctive cloudiness, the non-existent head or lacing, and the wheaty, bready smell that comes with it. I found it very carbonated - not to my liking, and though it tasted better than the last cream ale (from Ballast Point no less!) it still had a weird and I would say almost bad aftertaste. Quite possibly the worst aftertaste I have experience in a very long time. Overall, it's not terribly bad, or even bad, it's decent actually. I'm sure there are folks that love this stuff - but these cream ales just aren't for me.

2.6/5  rDev -19.5%

2.69/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Consumed 02/14/2016.

2.69/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

2.72/5  rDev -15.8%

Hazy golden in color. Aroma hints of yeast, bread and a flour tortilla, wheaty bready. Not an awful beer but not my favorite

Killer Whale Cream Ale from Bold City Brewery