Rose

Rotating
Wants
Gots
SCORE
Good
RoseRose
Notes: Originally known as 'Golden Rose' - discontinued in 2005.

"Rose is inspired by the Belgian Tripel style. It is a top fermented ale which has a deep golden color with a light refreshing body. The beer has a subtle hop profile using the Northwest's finest whole hop flowers. We use Aromatic and Honey malts along with Candy Sugar to give it a unique and fruity character. It is 6% alcohol by weight (7.5% by volume)."
Reviews: 154 | Ratings: 179
Reviews by beachbum1975:
2.99/5  rDev -17.4%

12 ounce brown bottled shared with pwoods last night in our impromptu Hair of the Dog tasting - batch 41, per the label. We never had any beers from this brewer, so it was a nice treat for both of us. (Another!) Thanks go out to bifrostguard for the quality extras!

Pours a clear amber with orange highlights. (This is a tripel?) Minimal tan head leaving light lacing. Minimal head retention.

The nose starts with a bit tart fruit, like cherries and then a way of condensed, sweet malts hit the palate. After further sniffing, I get some candied Belgian sugars.

Taste reflects the nose. Lots of sweet malts, light smoke and a trailing sweet and sour twang. Unique, but what's going on here? Not certain this is a tripel, but interesting none the less.

Overall, I enjoyed this beer, but I was a little confused to its' style, hence the lowered appearance and taste ratings. Very sweet and sour at times..

3.78/5  rDev +4.4%

"The sweetest flow'r that grows,
You may search ev'rywhere,
But none can compare
With my wild Irish Rose.

My wild Irish Rose,
The dearest flow'r that grows,
And some day for my sake,
She may let me take
The bloom from my wild Irish Rose."

Hair of the Dog Rose has nothing whatsoever to do with Ireland (it was named for Portland, Oregon, the 'Rose City'), but what the hell, it's St. Patrick's Day and we Irish-Americans love our songs. Erin Go Bragh.

Glitteringly carbonated ripe pumpkin. I expected to see a little pink (rose?) since the beer is brewed with beets, but I can't detect even a hint. The pale orange-tinted white cap of foam was large initially, but is deflating fairly quickly. It still maintains itself at a fat one finger and is easily rejuvenated with each subsequent pour. A respectable amount of sudsy lace is being laid down and contributes to what is a good, although not a very tripel-like, look.

I'm not overly impressed with the nose, either in terms of its strength or its personality. Part of the problem is that it's so different from anything that I've experienced. Brewing with hibiscus flowers, beets and pink peppercorns will do that. I don't appreciate any of those ingredients per se, but it is flowery and spicy, to use broad, general terms.

Like the only other HOTD beer that I've had (Ruth), this is one strange and wacky brew. Take all preconceived notions of what a tripel should taste like and throw them out the window. Without having a style to moor my impressions to, I'm finding it hard to write this review.

Rose is impressively malty and reminds me, in some ways, of a maibock. There are all sorts of interesting flavors careening this way and that, but it's beyond my ability to accurately describe them all. Just like the nose, floral (especially) and peppery-spicy lead the way. It tastes like hibiscus flowers were dumped in by the barrelful. This isn't a beer that I could drink much of, but it's incredibly interesting and is enjoyable for that reason alone.

The mouthfeel is generously medium, edging toward full, and has a slickness on the finish that is enjoyable. It's pretty vigorously carbonated, as noted on the initial pour, and is the better for it.

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet. Actually, the aroma is the only feature of this beer that I don't find compelling. It looks like Hair of the Dog has hitched its wagon to the 'original at all costs' philosophy. In Rose's case, at least, they've succeeded.

4.15/5  rDev +14.6%

Batch 38. A gem. Abundant head leaving enormous cream at end. Belgian Golden colour. Floral with honey and candi aroma. Appropriate understaed carbonation, tasty yeast and spices including pepercorn. stacks up with Ommegang at the top of the American Belgian creations. Creamy mouthfeel, satisfying sweetness. Crisp clean finish.

3.03/5  rDev -16.3%

Whoa, what a big beer this was.

Pours out a cloudy golden/orange color with a big head that had to settle down with time.

Smell consisted of lots of malts at first, with quite a bit of yeast following up on it and some fruit mingle around in the background. Quite a bit of alcohol also in the nose.

Taste was powerful but a little off. Malts and some slight hops that just jumped out of nowhere hit the palate first. Then comes the yeast and slight spices and blends in with some fruit, but the alcohol is all over the place at all times and does last into the aftertaste. Some fruit also shows up but just adds to the sweetness of this brew.

This is a big beer, but sometimes throwing everything into the pot doesn't make it great. This bad boy needs some taming.

3.93/5  rDev +8.6%

12oz bottle purchased somewhere in VA, one of many things gathered at either Vienna Whole Foods, Norm's, or Westpark Wine & Beer. Batch 36.

Poured into a Rapscallion glass, formed a HUGE 3" white head over the light amber brew, with small floaties here and there. Will take some time to get this poured out, like Fred the other day. Ten minutes later, all in. Head is amazingly dense, with great resilience, with incredible amounts of foamy lace everywhere. Aroma is sweetly of Belgian malts, a whole lot spicy, and a bit yeasty. Taste is of spicy Belgian malt. Mouthfeel good, but drinkability dropped a tad for making me wait so long to enjoy. Surely we can have a nice foamy presentation with some liquid initially...

4.12/5  rDev +13.8%

Served in a 12 oz. tulip glass at Blind Tiger Ale House in Manhattan. The aroma is very vinous and fruity, with a slightly sweet maltiness peeking through.
I was taken aback with the first sip -- I thought this was really tasty. I got a huge fruit profile quickly followed by raspberry/cherry tartness, some sweet maltiness, and I swear this beer is brewed with fruit. Think of the raspberry or cherry flavor of a Lindeman's lambic combined with classic Belgian brown ale flavors. In fact, to me this was reminiscent of Ommegang's Three Philosophers, only sweeter.
The carbonation is good, drops down to almost no head after the first few sips, but remains effervescent in the mouth til the end. The finish is surprisngly dry for something with so much fruitness and sweetness up front.
I thought this beer was nice, though I wouldn't have guessed it was a Belgian-style triple. If you go in without expectations, you might like this brew -- if you go in wanting a classic Belgian triple, I think you'll be disappointed.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Rose is named for Portland, The City of Roses, though it’s not clear to me which came first, the concept for this pinkish ale brewed with hibiscus, beets, and pink peppercorns, or the name which the recipe suggests. Pouring this beer into a tall glass elicits a swift double take. The color is strikingly pink unlike any you’re likely to encounter anywhere. Indeed, the color is genuine rosé. It’s also densely clouded and bears a profoundly luminous glow, making for a distinct visual presentation though laceless and with a meager head.

The smell is at first raspberry-like with a notable influx of pepper and hibiscus. A solid measure of candi sugar alcohol soon intrudes as the ale warms. The taste has a curious pink-lemonade overlay with evident pepper and a bitter finish that’s difficult to assign. The unusual herb and spice flavor strays far from traditional Belgian design and not everyone will appreciate such a highly individualistic bent. Rose is clearly up to HOTD’s standards of professionalism, but it’s also a bit quirky and challenging to appreciate.

3.97/5  rDev +9.7%

This arrived as a bright and clear red. It had just a ring for a head but still left some lace.

The smell has strong spice and peppers with pale malts. The taste brings a mild sourness and light esters. The mouthfeel was unique, being slightly tart. The drinkability was pretty good.

Hardly a conventional tripel, this take on the style came out fairly well.

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

A: Poured a cloudy reddish color. Large red hued head.
S: Smell is awesome, very fragrant. Smells sour, fruity. There is a strong beet smell. Faint alcohol smell also. Very complex.
T: Again strong beet taste, very interesting. Sweet, and slightly peppery aftertaste.
M: Mouthfeel is dry but slightly sweet.
D: Interesting flavored beer. Would definatly drink again. Would be awesome aged for a while.

4.47/5  rDev +23.5%

This beer poured a huge four finger head over tope of the beer. Over the course of 5 minutes, the head fell to coat the beer. The color was a hazy orange. The nose was interesting on this one. A good banana sweetness overlaying a really nice peppery spice. The flavor matched the nose fairly well. The creamy banana and lemon flavors came through first followed with a really nice peppery spice. The peppery was different from a regular Belgian though, as it is from peppercorns used in the brewing. Its very similar to real pepper used in cooking, and it lasts well into the finish. Nice. The feel is full thick and creamy. Drinkability is also really good on this one. I really enjoyed this beer. Thanks to clvand0 for sharing this with me.

3.46/5  rDev -4.4%

Batch 38
7.5 % ABV

Poured into a chalice, my Rose is a golden haze with an orange tint. The head is substantial for this style but fades to white lacing after a bit. There's some yeast at the bottom of the bottle (conditioned).
The taste is clean, and the esters are there also with some belgian candi sugar.
This one feels balanced in the carbonation dept. I don't think Tripel's lend themselves to the "drinkable" category very well (at least for me), but this wasn't too much by any means. Overall a decent tripel, but for others in this genre, I'll stick with Allagash or Victory Golden Monkey..

4.13/5  rDev +14.1%

As with all HOTD beers this pours out with a huge off white head over a fairly clear goldish body. Great retention on the head as it slowly collapses down leaving thick rings of lace stuck to the glass. Nice big fruitiness in the aroma with plenty of sweetness and some strong yeast notes. Light spiciness peaks out as it warmed. Flavor starts off with a strong fruitiness before the spicy flavors come out. A bit doughy with a touch of alcohol warmth. Some yeast notes come out and mix in well. Light grassy/earthy hops. Sweet fruity finish with a hint of spice. Pretty hefty mouthfeel to the point of being a bit too much for its own good. But otherwise smooth and easily drinkable stuff. Nice take on the style.

4.12/5  rDev +13.8%

Batch 40: Cloudy reddish amber with a thin white head. Minimal lacing. Very floral aroma with sweet alcohol, caramel, fruity esters, and light breadiness. There's an odd sweetness in the flavour, mild maltiness, low bitterness. A bit floral as well, with a hint of toffee and slight spice. Mild acidity and citrus. Drying finish, but with a distinctive sweetness as well. Medium bodied with plenty of carbonation (the bottle foamed a bit after opening) and a bit sticky. This a strange brew with a very complex flavour. I'll have to get another sample of this one...

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

Batch #40, tried at Volo. Pours a hazy red/brown, very strange colour, medium thick off white, almost pink head, nice lacing and excellent retention. Smell is sweet champagne, honey, some citrus, very vinous and fruity. Taste is sugary, sweet cherries, citrus and spice, almost kriek like. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, with low to medium carbonation, very smooth and refreshing. Definately an interesting beer, with beets, hibiscus flowers and pink peppercorns, but I definately feel it was worth the shot, and would try it again.

4.1/5  rDev +13.3%

(Served in a chalice)

A- Nice hazy golden body with a strong carbonation and a creamy light tan head. When held up to the light the body has a warm orange glow. Good Belgian lace on the glass.

S- Fruity aroma with hints of orange and a bit of banana.

T- soft malt flavors with some fruity notes and a good alcohol warmth. A nice beet taste in the finish with a gentle earthiness. The fruity notes have a nice floral tea kick from the hibiscus. The pink peppercorn spiciness is very subtle.

M-medium body but no alcohol heat and some creaminess from the carbonation.

D-This is a very unique triple. The beets and hibiscus and a great flavor that changes the fruity characteristics. Its a good solid triple with just a little twist. Very nice.

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

batch 38

appearance is hazy yellow orange with a healthy head.

delicious aroma- buttered popcorn is my first impression. something else unique, hard to pinpoint. after tasting i confirm it's a clover honey aroma. very floral.

taste is top-notch for an AMERICAN tripel. puts the monkey to shame. reminds me of honey covered biscuits. strong alcohol is the only negative in the flavor profile of this beer. the more i think about it, the less i think it should even be called a tripel. perhaps a belgian strong pale. absolutely no acidic sourness to this beer, which is the red flag IMHO when consuming tripels.

4.03/5  rDev +11.3%

Batch# 39 of Rose pours out of the bottle a deep cloudy orange with a big pillowy cloud-like sticky head. As the head falls it leaves massive lacing to decorate the inside of the glass. Looks dark for a tripel, but still quite impressive overall. Aromas of wildflowers, cloves, sweet malt, cracked peppercorns, citrus fruit. An overall yeasty, spicy earth tone dwells inside this brew. Crisp and inviting.

First sip brings a rush of spicy cracked peppercorn flavor (pink peppercorns per the label) along with a sweet maltiness that is highlighted by cloves, floral tones and light citrus tones. Earthy yeast meshes with hints of alcohol. The freshly cracked pepper lingers on the palate and makes for quite the spicy tripel. An interesting and well made brew.

Mouthfeel is smooth and light with a good rush of bubbly carbonation that tickles the tongue. This is a sipper brew and I'm finding it quite enjoyable. If you have an aversion to pepper, you might want to stay away...if not then I'd definetly recommend this tripel as it's quite unique. A worthy nightcap. Thanks to weefisheads for the opportunity.

3.73/5  rDev +3%

This is my first foray into Hair of the Dog since I had my first taste of Adam back in 94 (the first batch, no less). It tasted like band aids smell, so I never went back. Needless to say, I've been feeling a bit guilty about it for about ten years or so. Anyway, on to Rose.

Appearance: I had to wait a bit for the appearance, as I cracked this baby open it foamed like a fruit bat. I watched as huge chunks of yeast were freed by the sudden introduction of oxygen to the bottle, all of which slowly made their way for the exit. It was like watching a National Geographic special. Finally the jailbreak subsided, and I was able to begin to pour. I haven't a chalice, so my red wine goblet will have to make do. This color is a beautiful pale orange, reminding me of that marvelous three year old bottle of Chimay Red I had.

Smell: Very Belgian nose, the fruity smell of the yeast is predominant, with faint candy sugar undertones. It's what I expect with a trippel, so I'm definitely not disappointed.

Taste: Well, I'm thinking I need to let this baby warm up a bit. It's only been out of the fridge for about ten minutes or so, and I'm currently quite disappointed. I expect a bit more fruitiness to accompany the sweetness, and I'm just not getting it at the moment. I'll report back in another fifteen minutes. Hmm. This beer actually doesn't warm up that well. There's some serious separation in flavors. A very short, initial blast of fruity sweetness, then a lingering astringent taste on the back of the tongue. Not what I expected at all.

Mouthfeel: Quite lovely. Nice and solid presence in the mouth. Not too thin, which is always a concern with any Belgian style ale.

Drinkability: I'd have to give this a 3.5 based solely on the taste. Served cold, the flavors are muted with the sweetness of the malts and the candy sugar overpowering the yeast. Warmed up to proper temperature, there's that odd separation in the flavors, with that really odd astringent flavor. Too medicinal almost. There's three-fifths of a great beer here, but I don't think I like this enough to try it again. Maybe I'll just have to make a visit to the brewery to try it at the source.

4.05/5  rDev +11.9%

03/29/05- Given to me from my fiancee on her return trip from Portland.

Presentation- 12oz bottle with no dates. Poured into my La Chouffe tulip.

Appearance- Murky orangish-brown pour with little bits of yeast milling around. Fairly large haed which evaporates rather quickly. Very light lacing.

Smell- Light alcoholic scent. A nice sweet scent. Maybe some dark fruits in the scent.

Taste- Sweet tastes of honey and maybe some peaches and or apricots. Also, a taste that took me a while to figure out. Finally I can to the conclusion of peanut brittle! Then I looked at the rest of the reviews and saw things like popcorn, carmel candy and cookie dough. So, I guess I'm not that far off.

Mouthfeel- Very mouth coating and sweet with a medium to low carbonation.

Drinkability- A very odd and intriguing taste makes me like this one even more. Interesting and very drinkable.

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%

Rose #33
I appreciate the color -- a cloudy amber with fossilized floaties. The froth is low and dies to a Victorian collar. Smells like a cut open winter squash, and asparagus.
This is hard to get straight; pastey yeast and earthy almost moldy herbs. A bitterness that brings to mind brussel sprouts. Sweet tingle-sweet jingle, alcohol rub, boiled flower stems. References to fruit escapes me. It's cluttered, but deep.

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

The first 4 of 12 ounces poured gently yields a cloudy golden color with a full finger fizzy white head that is constantly refreshed . Visible effervescence and bits and chunks of suspended goodness. There is a ton more "stuff" where that came from. A good amount of spotty lacing observed. The smell is really good. Light earthy Belgian yeast, Harvest fruits and peppery spice. Well carbonated, the mouth feel has a light texture and body. There is a distinctly sharp peppery note overriding the otherwise fruity apple-pear character. A good drinker, the spicy nature is right on the edge. A really interesting interpretation. Recommended. Thanks goes out to grumpy for this opportunity.

3.01/5  rDev -16.9%

Appearance: Red/orange cloudy-but-not-entirely-opaque. White foamy head.

Nose: Hmmm. Very curious. Not all-together pleasant. Soury notes. Grass. Heavy duty yeast. Sweet.

Taste: Sweet. Not what I really expected from a tripel. Some citrus notes. Some sour notes. As it warmed, I found myself liking it less. Crisp carbonation. Medium body.

Drinkability: If you keep it overly cold, it is more drinkable. As it warmed up to a reasonable serving temperature from the ABV, I found myself liking it less.

Definately not what I was expecting from a tripel.

2.65/5  rDev -26.8%

Batch numero 35

Serious caramel brown hazy color. Nice yellow to white frothy head. Plenty of suspended yeast. Looks very raw unrefined, a little too much so for my tastes.

Sour apricot malt on the nose.

A somewhat vast malt scheme with the introduction. A cloy sourness, with little bitterness to rebut. The balance of flavors is a little unsettling on the palate. Mouth feel a little watery. Quick to fade, lacking the complexities I expected. Hardly any taste notes during and after the fade.

Very disappointing especially after looking at this beers rating. Lacking in depth and complexity. Something I will avoid in the future.

3.15/5  rDev -13%

$3.20 for a 12oz bottle. Not sure if that was worth it, but we'll find out. Batch 38.

A: Pours a cloudy dark amber color with slight orange highlights. One finger white head has some retention. Very fizzy and bubbly as its pouring into the glass. Good lace.
S: Spicy notes with soft floral aromas coupled with sharp fruit notes, such as peaches, pears, or nectarines. Abv is slightly noticeable.
T/M: Big spicy notes with a chalkyness to it. Nice fruit notes also come through after the initial taste. Very pale tasting tripel with a lot of spice. I'm not sure how I feel about this one. At first, soft and light on the palate, followed by a grittyness that can be felt on the tongue.
D: Drinkable, but I'd pass on this one again. Rose didn't do it for me.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Batch #40. This brew pours a red-orange color. The head is very small, and recedes within seconds. The aroma is sweet and sugary. It reminds me a lot of Schell's house aroma, which I have always considered to do an injustice to lighter German styles. The aroma of a good tripel could be so much more, so this injustice is even more magnified. The taste isn't what I would expect from a tripel, but it is still pretty good. The sip is very floral, hibiscus, and juicy. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a lot of carbonation, but not too much. Overall, this isn't the beer to choose if you are wanting a classic tripel. Instead, this is something to choose if you are in the mood for an adventure, and a brew that is out of the ordinary.

Rose from Hair Of The Dog Brewing Company / Brewery And Tasting Room