Love Belgian Beer?

RoseRose

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States | website

Style: Tripel

Originally known as 'Golden Rose' - discontinued in 2005.

"Rose is inspired by the Belgian Tripel style. It is a top fermented ale which has a deep golden color with a light refreshing body. The beer has a subtle hop profile using the Northwest's finest whole hop flowers. We use Aromatic and Honey malts along with Candy Sugar to give it a unique and fruity character. It is 6% alcohol by weight (7.5% by volume)."

Added by Mitchster on 02-27-2002

Reviews: 151 | Ratings: 172
3.05/5  rDev -14.3%

Cloudy goldenrod color with a nice white head. Lots of esters and phenols on the nose; dehydrated stone fruits, clove, some berries, nuts? Also a big floralness. Taste is yeasty with mealy fruits and peppery alcohol. Dry, astringent, and hot. Weird beer, sort of heavy, not very drinkable.

2.79/5  rDev -21.6%

I was quite disappointed in this beer. The color was an intriguing pale amber but it had a citrus/floral aroma to it. Tasted very light and flowery like the aroma. This brew is inspired by belgian triples but didn't really taste like one in my opinion.

2.2/5  rDev -38.2%

Acquired via trade from biegaman, so a big "Thank you" goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep amber color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of caramelized malts, Belgian yeast, some spice and a little bit of hops, but none it seems to blend together well.

T: The taste is malty up front with flavors of caramel, brown sugar, some Belgian yeast, a touch of smokiness and a decent hops presence, but again there doesn't seem to be any harmoniousness, which seriously detracts from the complexity that is being attempted here. The malt character is hearty but not too heavy. The after-taste is bitter-sweet.

M: Not too crisp and not very smooth, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean.

D: Not very tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, decent kick, not the best representation of style, this one just flat out was not very good at all.

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

The first 4 of 12 ounces poured gently yields a cloudy golden color with a full finger fizzy white head that is constantly refreshed . Visible effervescence and bits and chunks of suspended goodness. There is a ton more "stuff" where that came from. A good amount of spotty lacing observed. The smell is really good. Light earthy Belgian yeast, Harvest fruits and peppery spice. Well carbonated, the mouth feel has a light texture and body. There is a distinctly sharp peppery note overriding the otherwise fruity apple-pear character. A good drinker, the spicy nature is right on the edge. A really interesting interpretation. Recommended. Thanks goes out to grumpy for this opportunity.

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Batch #40, into a tulip glass, pours a reddish, copperish, amberish color, with a decent white head to begin with and then some wispy stuff on top, not much lacing. The aroma definitely is different for a tripel, smells kind of funky probably from the beets, don't know what the hibiscus flower would do to this, but the spices most definitely come out, and some vague fruits make up the rest. Taste expounds upon the aroma, a bit tart and then drying, a leafy hop on the tongue when finished, and again, I'm not sure what beets taste like exactly, but I'm imagining that I get them through the middle. Its got some decent body, the carbonation is fair. Overall, its an odd one, can't say I like it all too much, but definitely an interesting take.

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%

I poured a capped 12 ounce bottle into a tulip.

A: It cloudy, rusty-orange hued amber with a massive off-white foamy three finger head.

S: It had fresh and sweet floral aromas with sweet toasted malt and spicy aromas.

T: It had a creamy malty flavor that included yeasty doughy tastes. There were hints of spicy alcohol and fruity malty flavors.

M: It was a medium bodied brew with a sweet creamy front and and grassy, musty back.

D: It was a bit disappointing given the reputation of the brewery. It had unique flavors that went against type and were unbalanced. An interesting experience but not one I'll repeat soon.

3.15/5  rDev -11.5%

I seem to be hit or miss with this brewery. I bought this as I was curious what they would do with a tripel. Suffice to say this one was strong on the alcohol notes and honey. It stayed just a hair under too sweet so I scored it as noted.

Maybe a honeyed up old ale but far short of a belgian tripel in my opinion. Not one I'd recommend

3.46/5  rDev -2.8%

A - Dark bronze caramel color, with a 1/2 head... Extremely large amount of unwelcome sediment... I consider myself a rather skilled poorer and find it near impossible to keep the sediment in the bottle... Appearance of so much sediment was worrisome...

S - Fruity with scents of apples, cherries, and pears...

T - Spicy and dry with fruit flavors... Some nutty characteristics... Certain aspects reminded me of a Riesling Wine...

M - Dry but very smooth, very good mouthfeel...

D - The beer would have been quite enjoyable if not for the over abundance of sediment present... The presence of the sediment made an other wise nice beer near undrinkable...

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%

Batch 36

Hazy copper gold in color. Didn't even thing too decant and poured the whole brew into my Gulden Draak chalice. Consequently sediment galore exists. Pours with mass carbonation producing a large whispy head off white leaving lacing here there and everywhere as it fades.

Loads of honey, candy sugar, floral esters, yeast and spicey aromas. Thick with malt and sweet gestures leaning slightly toward clove and hay and pear.

Great flavorful complex beer. Smooth, creamy, thick and delectable. Honey malt is very apparent and plants a tent on the mid palate. Some florl hop flavors are still apparent and blend tremendously taming the malt and candy sugar still. Yeasty finish has a floral spicy quality that is refreshing with a little help from the depth of carbonation that prickles on and on. Apple, pear, and caramel round out things with a Viognier grape peaking it's head.

Batch 40.

A very unique, Belgian-inspired brew... but a tripel?

A: Hazy reddish-brown; light tan head, some retention & light lacing.

S: Tangy yeast with a little funk, tropical fruit & a light phenolic spicyness.

T: Light fruity tartness with a little yeast funk, tropical fruit, modest bitterness, slight floral spicyness, modest alcohol warmth.

M: Moderate body, well-carbonated, dry finish.

D: Good for its weight.

Bottle conditioned and enjoyed at Volo. Poured a nice reddy caramel colour, with a rapidly diminishing head. Nose was floral and a aroma I just couldn't nail down. Predominant flavour was equally elusive - is it fruity or is it more vegetable? I looked at the bottle and realized that I was picking up on the beets added to the brew. Not like any other tripel flavour I've ever come across, but recommended. Finish left a nice hoppy dryness. Interesting drink, if only for the novelty value.

4.57/5  rDev +28.4%

12oz bottle poured into a Tulip Glass

A – Poured a very nice hazy amber with a good two finger head of frothy white foam on top. Very very hazy with some nice streams of carbonation apparent, rippling up to the service. Nice side glass presentation as well.

S – Aroma was richly spiced with a very nice blend of nutmeg, cinnamon, light apples and pears and a touch of hoppiness. Very spicy and full on the nose it definitely gave you a bit of a tickle. As it warmed it did seem to mellow a touch and bring out more of the hop aromas.

T – Fantastically mellow especially for the style. The flavor was full and very spiced with a good amount of hop in the finish. Nice spiced apple and coriander in the flavor as well as a good amount of cereal grain and a touch of peach. Very full profile to try and decipher. Excellent I have to say.

M – Very smooth, and silky almost due to the tremendous amounts of fine carbonation rippling through. Great light texture really let the flavors speak to themselves and gave you a really fine sense of the flavor.

D – Excellent sipper this really went down well. In fact as it started to warm and mellow a tad I found myself taking bigger and bigger sips. Almost no hint of the abv was present at all.

Overall this was excellent, and another winner from the brewery. I am really liking the fine little touches they are putting on all of their brews, it really adds a lot to it. Great beer and a really great experience, I would highly recommend this to anyone.

2.88/5  rDev -19.1%

When poured, it poured a thick hazy amber, reddish hue. No foam in the glass or lace on the side of the glass.

The smell was of spices and whatever. Not really impressed with the aroma for this Tripel.

The flavor was even less than the smell or aroma. There was just nothing there at the finish. It was thick and not a lot going for it.

I am really dissapointed with his Tripel and Hair of the Dog. This is the weakest ale I've tasted from this brewery. Fred and Adam are my best ale's, so I expected the same with Rose. NOTHING!

3.99/5  rDev +12.1%

Aroma is very fruity and floral with lots of base malt. The aromatics are pretty much fermentation by-products. I can't really pick out any hop character.

Color is nice amber and seems almost pink which to me seems appropriate for the name. Very little head, just a small rim around my glass. But there is a pretty good amount of rising bubbles.

Flavor is really interesting. Very fruity, I almost swear I taste cranberries. Some yeasty spicy flavors. Lots of candi sugar. Good malt backbone but also some hop bitterness. Not really the flavor profile I expect in a triple but I like it.

Medium full bodied with a pretty high carbonation level. Playful and even refreshing.

Not at all what I think of in a tripel style but still a very good beer. Reviewed to style, probably wouldn't do well, but screw style. I like this beer.

3.97/5  rDev +11.5%

Batch 40 Bottled Conditioned

Pours a cloudy deep dark orangy color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy off-white head, some sticky lacing around the edges. The nose is malty, slightly yeasty, biscuity, flowery, with some spices and caramel. The is malty, flowery, with some beets, and caramel. Medium body. Recommended for sure, I really like this one, it's different to style and different all together. Thumbs up HOTD.

4.29/5  rDev +20.5%

A- Thick white head (might be just a tad off from pure white) on a cloudy dark red and brown body.
S- Banana, light clove, hints of pineapple, sweeter caramel, and one other thing I can't seem to pin point.
T- I get a blend of a floral taste and bananas. Cloves are in there along with some other kind of spices (maybe some pepper?). Nice rich fresh fruity flavors. Medium bitterness on mid and tip of tongue. Alcohol is pretty warm (especially for 7.50%) and tickles the tongue.
M- Medium to full body with low carbonation. Smooth yet parts grab to your tongue. Love the feel to this brew.
D- I think it is very tasty. Yes there are better triples out there but I really like this American take on it. Has some different flavors in there that aren't found in classic ones and I like it.

3.13/5  rDev -12.1%

A 12 oz bottle from Liquid Solutions.

A: The tripel is surprisingly dark, amber to red with a haziness that enhances the dry red color (if dry is the proper adjective for a color). Head was active, gradually spilling out of the bottle before pour. Lacing is extensive.

S: The aroma is beet, with a dry peanut like finish. The spices that I expected did not show up.

T: The taste, ahh the taste. What can be said about it? The flavor is the same as I picked up in the nose, beety. I must say that I am not a fan. The flavor is dry, to the point that one instinctively reaches for another sip. Some sugary sweetness emerges at the end of a sip, but it it tainted by that distinct flavor. Is this what hibiscus tastes like?

M: The mouthfeel is unusual, almost undrinkable in its dryness. Despite that, I am drawn to the novelty of the beer. It intrigues me like a roadside accident.

D: HotD does not disappoint in its spunk, this beer will not win any awards in my book but it breaks barriers.

2.33/5  rDev -34.6%

Hair of the Dog- Rose

On tap at The Drafting Room- SpringHouse, PA

Appearance- Bright glowing orange, hazy and murky with a thick soapy white head.
Smell- Strong candi sugar. Very sweet and fruity.
Taste- Whoa!! Sugary sweet, like rock candy. Huge hints of orange, cranberry, pinapple, and alcohol. I swear it tasted like a fruity girl drink. (sex on the beach, vodka/ cranberry, etc..)
Mouthfeel- sweet and fruity.

Overall- I'll pass on this sickingly sweet wine cooler. My 1st HOTD was a bust but it won't perterb me from trying others!

2.01/5  rDev -43.5%

Batch # 41, poured from a 12 oz bottle into a tulip glass, Rose is hazy, amberish orange with a creamy and firm off-white head, 1 finger tall and long lasting, particularly the collar, although very little lace.
The aroma, ughh. Beets beets beets, I dont like them and they make this tripel beat. When I read the label stated hibiscus flowers, beets and pink peppercorns, I assumed he meant beet sugar, being that this is supposedly a Belgian Style Trippel. I'm a big fan of that style, and there is very little about this brew that reminds me of it. Very dissapointing, especially as good as the other Hair of the Dog offerings I've had. Being a homebrewer myself, I'm all for taking risks with a recipe, but this one just ain't ready for primetime, and certainly shouldn't be marketed as a trippel.
Anyways, I should finish (the effort is equal for this review and the beer). The taste is even more dominated by beets, so much so that I can't really break down anything else, or maybe I just don't want to.
The mouthfeel is moderate, pretty carbonated and a bit creamy.
The drinkability on this is very low if you don't like beats. I don't, and this sucker is a struggle, although philosophically, I would never not finish a beer!
My score is mainly based on reviewing this as a trippel, although if I was just considering it in general, it wouldn't be much better...

2.92/5  rDev -18%

Bottle: Poured a medium hazy amber color ale with a medium foamy head with below average retention. Aroma consists of sweet malt with some very subtle yeast characteristics and some spiciness. Taste is dominated by a cloying sweetness which is rather unspectacular with some spices. Body is fuller then average with some low carbonation which doesn’t benefit for the style. Overall, I thought this was a rather unspectacular take on a style that I usually enjoy a great deal.

2.06/5  rDev -42.1%

Bottle conditioned Tripel style with "hibiscus flowers, beets and pink peppercorns." I bought this beer at City beer here in SF because I saw Hair of the Dog featured on "Beer Nuts," which is a show on INHD. 12oz bottle, batch 41.

Anyway, I poured this into a Maudite glass. It came out a burnt-orange/copper color and pretty hazy--possibly due to the pour, since it is bottle conditioned. I tried to be careful.

The aroma smelled definitely of beets and trash.

The taste is definitely along the lines of sour beets, it gets better as it warms up but not much.

Tastes more mellow, sweet and less sour with with some dark chocolate (had it with a Men's Pocky stick). Taste pretty terrible after eating a strawberry.

Overall I was bummed that it wasn't as "red" as I was expecting. Also I seemed to believe that the beets would add more positive flavor notes to the beer, and the peppercorns might add spice. Anyway I finished it.

4.72/5  rDev +32.6%

1998 Vintage on tap at Stuffed Sandwich.

A: Golden orange color with some lacing that remains.

S: Smells of tropical fruits, honey, and earthy.

T: Caramel, toffee, tropical fruits, earthy bite. Semi tart. Little bit of alcohol burn at the end that kind of rounds everything out. Nice tart sweetness (does that make sense?) that lingers. Just a nice balance of tart and sweet.

M: Rich and smooth - love it. The tartness and alcohol at the end make it even more enjoyable.

D: Very high, despite the tartness. I wish I had that keg it was pouring from.

Loved this on tap from 98. While this doesn't seem to be the most popular tripel, I thought this beer, aged, was exceptional.

3.72/5  rDev +4.5%

Vintage '98 on draft at the Stuffed Sandwich.

A: Burn umber color, very cloudy. Head is medium sized, light khaki tint to them.

S: Toffee, oak, vinegar and vanilla.

T: Begins ciderlike, slightly pungent with hints of cinnamon and nutmeg. Very caramely with butter creme crossed with apricot preserves. One can find rose pedals grape juice and vitamin C in this beer as well. Finishes quite tart, almost sour even. Tartness pricks the tongue as it washes across the palate. Aftertaste is honey soaked raisins.

M: Medium body, sort of syrupy.

D: Even with its age, this one was overly sweet. But it still hasn't peaked, still has some legs on it.

3.88/5  rDev +9%

Appearance: Pours golden copper amber with modest head.

Smell: Perfumey, yeast honey floral aroma and sweet fruity esters.

Taste: It has a yeasty honey sweet tart floral attribute with fruity peachy esters, a malt backbone and spices and alcohol showing through. The aftertaste lingers endlessly.

Mouthfeel: A bit alcoholic on the cheeks. clings to the palate a bit roughly. Otherwise smooth and dry.

Drinkability: This is not my favorite triple or my favorite beer from Hair of the Dog, but not bad to try once. I am over it now.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

batch 41

pours slightly hazy pink wiht a thin whisp of fine white head that disappears almost immediately and leaves no lace.

aroma is nice. bit of fruit and spice. dried cranberry and cherry. pepper. i get some DMS off it too, but not at an unpleasant level.

taste is good. alcohol is more prominent than i expected. bit of pepper. light toffee sweetness. low bitterness. light dried fruit, cranberry and cherry. slightly chocolatey too. definitely gets better as it warms.

mouthfeel is ok. nice light body and dry finish. low carbonation level, and i expected it to be a little higher.

drinkability is ok. alcohol is more prominent than expected, but that should mellow with time, and balanced better as it warmed. a fairly light and enjoyable beer.

Rose from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room