Doggie Claws | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: American Barleywine

Availability: Fall

"a Barley Wine made in the West Coast style. Big malt and hops make this copper colored ale one of our most popular products. Produced in September and October and released in November, this Beer will improve for years to come. Alcohol: 11.5% by volume. IBU's 70"

Added by mattmaples on 10-12-2001

Ratings: 1,183 |  Reviews: 552

2010 offering care of both Joe and Brett. Thanks guys for the hookup on this one, unfortunately I don't know which one of you is responsible for this particular bottle but I am grateful to you both for allowing me the opportunity. Poured into my Hotd tulip care of Kegatron, thanks to you as well my friend!

Gusher warning here. The cap came off and I poured the brew carefully down the side of my glass. I only got a couple ounces into the glass before it was overtaken by a billowing yellowish stained tan head. What remained in the bottle slowly crept up, out and down the outside of the neck. It doesn't matter how careful you pour, the eruption of carbonation swirls the half inch of yeast that is on the bottom up into the brew and makes it transform from a clear golden to copper color into more of a clouded brown to amber color. A finger of yellowish tan head maintains a fingers strength throughout the entire duration with a constant stream of bubbles to the surface. Thick patches of lace stick all over the glass. When held to the light, a ridiculous amount of yeast trub lays on the bottom of the glass that includes some green hop break material. Thick chunks of yeast hang along the edges of my glass where the wall of the glass moves inward towards the base.

The smell of this brew initially had a bright citrus and fruited hop scent that was very reminiscent of something more accustomed to IPA territory. The bright hop character gives way to a yeasty quality along with toasted oats and grain that smells a bit burnt. There is a hoppy vegetative quality throughout that mixes with a lightly sulfuric yeast mixture which takes this brew in a unique direction. Across the back are some sweet scents like toffee.

The taste of this brew is as expected based off the aroma. It is a bold assault of hoppy bitterness that carries with it some resinous pine-like bite, along with fruity rind quality and more bitter fruitiness like grapefruit or orange pulp. There is a solid foundation of toasted malt that comes across like toffee. This brew is a constant struggle inside the mouth between sweet and caramel malts verse bitey aggressive hoppy bitterness. A yeast quality is present throughout the profile. The aftertaste is a constant struggle between sweet verse bitter with little to no alcohol impact for the listed 11.5%.

This is a medium to full bodied brew with an excessive amount of carbonation that is just way over the top. The sheer amount of yeast and carbonation that makes its way into the glass is quite distracting. However, for how over carbonated it was, instead of being prickly and bubblly inside the mouth, the overkill of yeast made it feel more thick and creamy, strange. As-is this was a solid take on the style, I hope my experience was just an off bottle or bad batch because I see this without the carbonation and yeast issue being a very solid brew. I will need to revisit this soon but let my review be a warning. I feel that my bottle literally could have burst if it was mishandled, there was that much carbonation.

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Clear red colour with a nice creamy light tan head. Good head retention and some great lacing.

Big robust toffee aroma with some notes of honey and lots of fruit. Great esters with pear, apple and stonefruit all coming through.

Big malty sweetness with lots of caramel and some toasty toffee. Big fruity esters again with some great pear and peach notes. Really delicious.

Full body with moderate carbonation. Really solid and a great example of a barleywine.

A really great Barleywine. Alan really knows how to make big malt flavours sing with the addition of some hops for balance and great yeast character. A stunner.

4.37/5  rDev +6.1%

2010 vintage..poured into my largest snifter, because these HOTD beers can get out of hand with the carbonation..

Appearence is nice..pours a deep ruby red..substantial head with a gentle pour, boatload of sticky lacing...this is has all the look of intense brew..

Smell is frankly, quite nice..very strong...where the hops were, I imagine, is the nice sort of sweet ice tea nose..malt heavy, smells like a young barleywine..

taste is intense, Malty, sweet, fig, dark fruit, some hop bitterness..very heavy on the toungue.a bit of a boozy presence, but it is to be expected....

Mouthfeel is odviuously nice and substantial, for this style, and for HOTD, abundance of carbonation and heavy malt make for a bit of a chewy presence, which I enjoy immensely..

overall this is a sipper, but IMO a marvelous example of how a heavyweight American Barleywine..I am dying to try this fresh...

4.07/5  rDev -1.2%

2nd review on BA.

12 oz bottle opened on 8/3/11 at 10pm pst. 2010 vintage poured into a nonic tasting glass. Served at 55 degrees.

A- Pours a dark/golden amber. It's a little darker than I had expected. Lots of creamy head on this one, sticking to the sides of the glass like it's grasping for its life. Maybe I'm trying too hard here, let's just get to the beer.

S- I immediately get the smell of the malts followed closely by some citrus-y hops. The hops are lingering in my nose and my mouth is watering. I'm getting some mango and pineapple now. Some pine there, too. Smells very nice.

T- Big taste of malt, bread, and caramel. Surprisingly well-hid alcohol in this. Lots of fruit coming in afterwards, just like the smell.

M- Less carbonated than you'd think after all the head from the pour. Very smooth, great sipper.

O- Really great beer. This is my first beer from Hair of the Dog and I'll definitely be coming back to this one, maybe grab a few and put them in my cellar to age. I can't imagine what some aging will do to this one.

4.27/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Darkness snifter.

Year Made: 2010

A- I opened the bottle and turned away for a sec which was not very smart, the beer started flowing out of the top, such a waist of beer. Luckily not a lot came out. Really carbonated beer, from the pour 3 finger frothy head, that dissipates slowly, dark burnt orange almost brown color, a lot of sediment on the bottom and flowing throughout the beer, really nice lacing.
S- Really nice aroma, nice hoppy aromas, pine citrus, as well as spice and malt. Looking forward to trying this one.
T- Really well brewed beer, pretty sweet, slight bitterness, nice hoppy notes, pine and citrus some grapefruit, big malt presence, nutty, bready, some spice notes as well, really tasty.
M- Medium mouthfeel, well carbonated, smooth drinking, crisp finish.
O- Solid brew from HOTD, love what they do with their beers, making them unique and different from other beers of the same style. Really impressed.

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%

2010 release. Pours a nice clear golden orange/amber with a ridiculous amount of white foamy head, way way more than I have ever seen in a Barleywine. Leaves some nice lacing as well.

Aromas begin with tons of sweet honey and toasty bready and much lesser caramel malts. Fruity hops join the party next with citrus and some lesser tropical fruits as well. Smells become more intense and pleasant as it warms and once the head recedes so you can actually get a good whiff of the liquid itself.

The tastes begin with sweet honey, bready and butterscotch malts, caramels emerge more as it warms. Nice balance of light bitter hops with adequate amounts of fruit flavor hops as well. Quite fruity overall (balanced fruit though); nice pineapple and orange mainly. Finish is nice and dry from the higher ABV and adequate carbonation. Nice dryness and crisp finish.

Overall I really enjoyed this Barleywine. It is much more balanced in the hop department and doesn’t linger into that hazy DIPA/American Barleywine category that most west coast breweries seem to love now (Stone, Green Flash, Sierra Nevada, etc. which are all too heavy on the bittering even with aging). This is perfect after about a year of aging and from what I have read is one of the style which is better consumed in the 6 mo - 1 year range. Highly recommended; I also enjoyed this more than my first 2 HotD beers (Fred and Ruth).

4.23/5  rDev +2.7%

12oz bottle from 2009 into Duvel snifter - from Hopsbreath a while back, just getting to this now. Thanks!

The pour is lovely, with a color that is deep, with dark brooding core with shadows that dance along the edges like bronze patina. Head billows and leaves clouds of lacing before settling thick across the pour.

A hopforward nose with strong notes of honey/mead. The hops notes are largely floral with a smattering of bitters hidden underneath the sticky honey.

A rich flavor, malt and honey, with strong bitterness in the finish cutting through an otherwise cloying sweetness. The mouthfeel is remarkable, so light compared to the aroma and taste, medium bodied. Would prefer that there was a touch less bitterness at the end but otherwise this is delicious.

Very good. I'm not sure why I just think this is a 4.0. It's very "this universe just kind of feels like a 'B'" in my mind. It's good, not exceptional on the whole, although many of the individual parts are nearly perfect. There is almost 0 booze in this, which is remarkable given the 11+% abv.

(136th)

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

12 oz bottle split and poured into a Sierra Nevada tulip.
11% ABV, 2010.

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for sharing this one (off my wants I believe).

A - The rusty orange brew is hazed over and has little doggies turds that sink to the bottom. Mmm, sediment. Massively carbonatedm the tan foam last quite a while and leaves very thick lace behind.

S - Fruity hop notes accent the brew with gooey honey and malt galore. Toffee, caramel, and toasted bread provides a great balance and complexity. Hop balance pops back in at the end with earth and citrus.

T - Fruity, sweet honey explosion in the flavor; mango, citrus, pineapple sweetness. Big malt balance of toffee and toast. Potent and tasty!

M - Full-bodied to the max, this one is both sweet and bitter at the same time. The finish is subtly warming and well-balanced throughout.

O - Big and well-brewed, Doggie Claws would be a fantastic winter brew, especially with some age on it. Awesome across the board!

4.35/5  rDev +5.6%

Doggie Claws on tap at Pony Bar, NYC, looking and tasting MUCH better than last time at Blind Tiger!

Smell: Goes up to 4.0 from 3.5, with everything you expect from the style... sweet and muscular, raisin, bubblegum, sugar.

Taste: Goes up to 4.5 from 3.5, classic barleywine taste. Caramel, toffee, honey, sugar. Sweetness. Bit of wood, even bourbon. Mellow hop around the back. Love it!

Mouthfeel: Goes up to 4.5 from 3.5. Chewy, sticky, low carbonation, great for the style. Full body and flavor.

Overall: Goes up to 4.5 from 3.5, because this truly is a great barleywine all around. Eight ounces were mighty drinkable (even though the alcohol is more than noticeable) and I was left wanting more. Maybe what I had at Blind Tiger was not right, or an older, lesser vintage (have heard bad things about 2009)? This, I love. Cheers!

---

Doggie Claws on tap at The Blind Tiger, NYC, 8 ounces for 9 dollars. WTF!

Appearance: The Claws look very dark, more like a brown ale than a barleywine. Mahogany overtones, but mostly a dirty opaque brown, almost black.

Smell: Not a lot going on in the nose. Chocolate, hops, kind of reminds me of Stone Sublimely. Black ale, brown sugar, cocoa powder. Sour funk. Strange! Not quite a barleywine in my book.

Taste: Lots of stuff here for sure! Chocolate, mushroom, dirt, freshly unearthed black truffles. Musty hops, some farm aromas. A bridle path after a copious rainfall. Sharp booze at the end, it burned me as I sipped. Is this melange of complex favors a good thing? Not necessarily. I find it to be confused, as if the brewers had try to gather as many intense and earthy flavors as they could.

Mouthfeel: Just about average for a barleywine, with full-but-funky flavor, full body and medium carbonation.

Overall: I love Hair, but totally don't get this ting. Feels like they were going for something completely different and ended up creating something new indeed but not quite succesful.

Too hoppy for a barleywine, too funky, too... weird! I like adventure, but this ain't right. Overtly boozy, not very drinkable or enjoyable. And at this price, it is a no-no! Would love to try this aged, though.

4.23/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks to sweemzander for tossing a bottle of this my way. 2010 vintage. Split into tulips.

A: Amber orange hue. Huge three fingers of tan head form and slowly fade. Thick lace rings collect around the glass and a cap forms.

S: Earthy hops come through with a good amount of caramel malt. It has the typical sweet tart aroma I get from most quality Barley wines. Dark fruits and piney hops.

T: Rich sweet caramel malt, sugar drizzled white toast, dark fruits, piney and citrus hops blend well together. Nice balance of both. Not much heat at all.

M: Medium to full body. Mild carbonation.

O: A very well balanced and flavorful BW.

3.3/5  rDev -19.9%

12oz Shared with Klym, poured into Stone Nonics.

2009 vintage

A: Poured CLEAR (yes I said CLEAR) bubbles with no head formation at all. This one is looking quite rough. There's a murky toffee/carmel body that looks a bit redeeming, but the lack of head has me concerned. Obviously there's no lacing to speak of. This reminds me of so many "brandy barrel aged" offerings I've had. However, I don't think this thing has ever seen a barrel.

S: For all of you that live near the border of mexico, this thing smells exactly like Baby lucas. Tamarind and lime salts with some deliciously forward mexican spices. Ancho chile power, coriander, and some cumin. This thing has quite a stellar nose. What in the world could this taste like? Could this possibly forgive the lack of head?

T: This thing gave me mad shivers. This is alcohol infused tamarind tea. Super sweet lime salts and tamarind make for the funkiest flat mexican cocktail this side of tijuana. I mean really Hotd, this is just missing the flavor of tequila. Meant to age for years? I think this barley wine should be consumed fresh. Absolutely no hop presence to speak of whatsoever. This is expected considering the age, but this tastes so incomplete. This is like diet crystal mole; the carmel color is but a mind game.

M: So flat it hurts my skull. Very watery iced tea with not even the slightest pinch of carbonation. Fresh hops and lively carbonation would greatly improve the experience of this beer. I am left wanting in the mouth, I have to will myself to the next sip.

O: Either the 2009 batch was no good, or this is too long for this beer. This had without a doubt the weirdest pour I have ever seen. Clear bubbles? what the hell. I thought I poured some bubble bath into my nonic. This thing looked like you could blow bubbles with it. The smell and taste was so interesting, that I feel cheated. This beer was swiss cheese; there were some holes that I can't neglect. This is on my most wanted to retry list -- and I need a fresh sample. The flavor was far too compelling to ignore, don't bother with the 2009. Oh my god I will not forget this nose.

3.38/5  rDev -18%

2009 vintage poured into a Stone nonic.

A: Oh jesus. An extremely small head after an aggressive pour that was composed of very clear bubbles and died off almost instantly. Looks almost as flat as water.

S: When I opened the bottle I felt giddy it smelled so good. When I poured it out and sniffed I cringed a little. Definitely still some hotness, in HotD character tons of spice, very much holiday spice with cider spices sticking out to me, some honey and peach pit in the nose too. The flatness really comes out in the smell as almost all of the smells have a waterlogged sense to them.

T: A large variety of holiday spices that come out big in the mouth with peach, mango, apricot and a little chile coming out too. These flavors are really quite good and there's a very nice interplay of sweetness and spice, but the mouthfeel really makes it almost unbearable. Much less heat in the mouth than I expected from the nose but still detectable.

M: Water. Or thin hard alcohol. The first 1.0 I have given, ever.

O: I searched for comments on the body/appearance after I opened this and noticed that almost all of the 2009 bottles talked of flatness whereas the 2010 talked of plenty of carbonation. This beer is potentially fantastic with plenty of carbonation. Compared to a 2009 bottle I'd rather have this as fresh and carbonated as possible. Take my review with a grain of salt considering my mouthfeel/appearance experience in contrast with others. Smell and taste were good, everything else made the smell and taste not worth it.

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Another one sent from SpdKilz! 2010 vintage. Enjoyed on 07/15/11.

A - 12oz bottle into a goblet. Whoa! Did not expect to get a large head out of this one but it consumes half my glass after a pretty aggressive pour. A two finger head has formed inside the bottle as well. Weird. Once in the glass, the appearance is an above average barleywine. Muddy brown/red color, can't see through it at all. Lots of floaties. Leaves very good lacing.

S - Big caramel, honey, piney hops, and some cherries and plums. Good aroma on this one.

T - Quite sweet up front with big caramel malts and then a very nice piney bitterness comes through. Honey sweetness is present throughout. Finishes with a bitterness balanced by the honey, caramel sweetness and some cola flavor is present also.

M - Mouthfeel is quite good. Creamy with some carbonation present in the back.

O - Overall, I really enjoyed this one. An above average barleywine for sure but not quite as good as Bigfoot or 2010 Nemesis.

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured from the 12oz into a snifter, this is the 2010 vintage.

Exits the bottle and greets you with a full 2 inch, rocky head. The body is a deep orange with a reddish hue. I guess the best way to describe that would be rich amber, or a raw and unfiltered maple syrup color. The head fades into a small dollop of foam in the center with a thick collar of stringy lace around the edges. Decadent lacing as the beer is drank down.

Upon your first quaff of the beer, fruity characteristics are first recognized. Peaches, pineapple, tangerine and grapefruit zest. Behind that you have a sweetness that can be compared to a mead. Sweetness has a bit of graham cracker quality to it as well. A tad bit of warmth from the alcohol as well.

Sipping the brew reveals much of the same. Your tongue is welcomed by fruity sweetness like pineapples and some citric qualities such as grapefruit and tangerine. Sweetness comes through behind that, again similar to a mead. A tiny bit of mulling spice and a little bit of graham cracker as well. No warmth in the flavor, which is great.

Mouthfeel is medium with a tingle of carbonation. Coating but not cloying.

Overall, another great barleywine from Hair of the Dog. Some nice honey flavors with zesty citrus and pineapple flavors above it. Sweeter than Fred, and less bready. All in all, I prefer Fred. But not a bad beer by any means.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

2010 vintage.

Pours a murky honey orange color with a huge 4 inch white-orange head that fades to a small cap. Very nice latticework of lace coats the glass on the drink down. Smells of brown sugar/toffee, honey, and huge aromas of citrus zest/pine. Taste is of delicious brown sugar, honey, and malt mixed with a nice flavor of citrus zest and pine hops. A nice mild hop bitterness lingers on the palate after each sip. Low carbonation makes for a smooth and slightly sticky mouthfeel. Overall, this is a very good barleywine with a very nice balance between malt and hops. I am glad I have another 2010 vintage aging in my cellar. I can only see this beer getting better over time.

4.17/5  rDev +1.2%

2009 vintage poured into traditional pint glass

A: Deep golden brown and very murky. Raised almost no head on hard pour down middle of glass, no lacing.

S: Fruity sweetness up front with hints of caramel malt. Oranges, peaches with piney and citrus hops. Very pleasing

T: Very sweet even after all this time aging. Citrus hops and pine flavors balance out the sweetness. Fruit in the middle of the taste, peaches, pears, oranges. Alcohol very restrained. Upun warming, hops and alcohol come to the forefront

M: Fairly heavy body with hops giving the sensation of slight dryness. Carbonation is a bit underwhelming but not uncommon for a beer this big. Hop bitterness lingers along side the caramel flavors into the finish.

O: Great example of a well balanced barley wine. Glad i aged this as long as I did for the alcohol heat to become subdued.

4.05/5  rDev -1.7%

Review #100!

2010 bottle, out of my DFH Signature glass. Thanks to Geoi for this bottle.

A- A very murky amber brownish color. Pours with an insane amount of foamy whitish tan head. The head and lacing is just everywhere.

S- Smells of piney hops and sweet malt. The hops are pretty overpowering, but it smells nice. I get some hints of caramel and dates as well.

T- Very smooth and malty, brown sugar and caramel. Then the hops really kick in on the back end, strong piney notes that linger. A very good blend of malty sweetness and piney hops.

M- Perfect on the carbonation and body/thickness. It's not terribly complex in the mouthfeel, but decent.

O- This is a very solid example of an American Barleywine. I think this beer could benefit from some more time in the cellar, but was tasty none the less.

-Gfunk

4.03/5  rDev -2.2%

2009 Vintage.

Pours out a hazy, deep orange/amber with a large, thick tan head that has excellent retention with some lace though most of it is wet & slides down the glass.

The smell is a, surprising, small amount of piny hops but mostly it's a lot of sweet, lightly roasted malt.

The taste is a very sweet malt dominating the flavor with some of the sweetness of a fruity nature. At this point in the vintage (1.5-2 years) the hops play no part though they do in the aroma. The alcohol is very well hidden.

Mouthfeel is medium, well carbonated and very sweet.

Overall: I wouldn't call this complicated and it's certainly very sweet but all things given it's a very interesting beer. Maybe it's a bit sweet but that's the only real knock I have with it. I'd like to try this fresh and also with a couple more years of age. Recommended.

3.98/5  rDev -3.4%

a: big brown/copper body with a massive head that stays and stays. Super fluffy. Leaves nice lacing on the way out the door.

s: super sweet malt here with a hit of citrus and flowers. Nice sour/sweet scent of white grapes give this a vino presence. Spectacular

t: super sweet. tons of sweet malt on this with pockets of hoppy citrus flavor. This tastes strongly of white grape with a hoppy following and back to sweetness in the finish. something nutty in here, and there is some good bitterness in this.

m: Thick and syrupy with nice fizz for the flavor which really makes the sweetness pop. finishes dry considering the sweetness.

o: quite sweet, almost too much so, though it is well balanced by bitter hops and a nice tartness in the middle. very good barley wine...wish it tone down the malty sweetness just a bit...though much better than some beers I've had with lots of malt.

3.93/5  rDev -4.6%

2010 bottle sent in the last care package from James...thanks bro..into the snifter

a-deep bronze/copper....huge three finger head..fell quickly to some chunky lacing..nice carbonation for the style

s-sweet malt and citrusy hops..some caramel..not much else to describe

t-sweet malt bill heads this one up..the typical west coast hop schedule comes into play rounding this one out and finishing on a bitter note..

m-thick and chewy the way a barleywine should be...really hit home on style..the carb was perfect as well as the effect on the palate

o-a great representation of the style and one i wish i had multiple vintages of the save...

4.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Had on tap at Rattle N' Hum in New York, NY on 5/27/11.
Review taken from notes.

A - This beer pours a nice dark amber color. It has a small white head on it. The head has decent retention, and it leaves just a bit of lacing behind.

S - It smells of sweet caramel malts and hops mostly. There is also some light fruitiness, toffee, honey, and some booze.

T - It tastes of big caramel malts and a strong american hop presence. There is a candy-like sweetness to it, as well as some nice fruit notes. The hop presence really helps to balance this one out. The finish has some lingering hop flavor and a touch of booze. The booze is very well hidden for being 11.5%.

M - This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down smooth, and has a bit of a chewy quality to it. There is some sticky sweetness, and some lingering hop bitterness. There is also some alcohol warmth in the finish.

O - There is good drinkability here. It goes down good and the flavor is just awesome. It is a sipper for sure, but it tastes so good, you just don't want to put it down. Overall I think this is an excellent barleywine. I really enjoyed this beer, and I look forward to having more. I recommend trying this one.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

Got on tap at Bottleworks in Seattle, WA. The store was pretty dark so I could get a great appearance review but I did what I could.

A: Deep redish/purple. Not much head (due to the pour?), but what was there left awesome lacing. After I drank it down a ways and swirled it I was getting decent head. Lacing hung around forever.

S: Big grape smell. Fruity and sweet. Citrus and grapefruit. Faint alcohol. Light caramel. Very mild hop presence.

T: Faint bit of hop bitterness. Big grapefruit or sour grapes, but good. Hides the 11.5% very well.

M: Full-bodied. Lightly creamy. Dry

O: Very good. Anything that can have this much alcohol and not let it show is doing a good job. Very good desert drink. Winding the day down.

4.62/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz into snifter. 2010 release. consumed on Easter 2011. From notes.

A: Pours a one finger head, that is off white and the body is a hazy copper hue. Slow, but steady carbonation levels. Great head retention as well as sticky lace.

S: A bold and crisp aroma, sweet notes and a classic Barleywine aroma. Strong use of malts, but still kickin' with an American hop aroma. The honey is profoundly evident in this well balanced Barley Pop.

T/M: Full bodied front of high malt sweetness, while hops are present. Not as much in the aroma. But none the less, a high West Coast pine and citrus hop notes. Honey adds a well rounded glossy mouthfeel. The lingering taste is strong, but not as prolonged as the overall intensity projects.

O: In drinkablity terms, this brew is an all star, with smooth start to finish texture, classic American hop flavor and aroma it really is a solid brew. And a nice addition from the honey.

3.56/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks go out to AwYeh for splitting his only 12oz bottle with me.

Vintage: 2010

Pours a murky light brown with oranges mixed in. Looks like unfiltered apple juice. A large, foamy, rocky, soft, light tan head caps the body. Very lacy, leaving rungs of residue. Good looking beer.

Smells light, with a sweet floral character defining it. Jasmine and a touch of juniper make it springy and perfumish, while a little ethanol provides astringency.

Taste is hoppy, with a tempered lemon citrus to start, before moving to grain and lightly toasted malt. The roast malt then moves to a balanced malt/hops middle and a dry roast finish. Very balanced yet pungent, but the vodka-like ethanol I got wasn't too pleasant in either the nose or taste.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied, with average carbonation. Pretty middle of the road. Drinkability is hurt by the excess astringency - this beer tasted, felt, and drank like straight vodka a little bit, although the good qualities in the beer far outweighed this one negative.

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a deep, deep amber/brown with a huge offwhite/tan head. Great coating/lacing as I swirl it around my stemmed Russian River glass. Aroma is massive on this one. I could smell it the minute I poured the beer. Aroma is filled with caramel malt sweetness, vanilla, citrusy hops, and burnt sugar. Some burnt wood/oakyness in the nose too. Flavor is filled with caramel/honey malt sweetness, cinnamon, clove, and other spices. Very mild earthy/herbal hop presence, but just enough to cut through the massive barelywine sweetness. Creamy/silky mouthfeel with a sticky sweet finish. Really enjoying this brew. Going to hold onto my other bottle for a year or two/three to see what time does to this one.

Doggie Claws from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room