Doggie Claws | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: American Barleywine

Availability: Fall

"a Barley Wine made in the West Coast style. Big malt and hops make this copper colored ale one of our most popular products. Produced in September and October and released in November, this Beer will improve for years to come. Alcohol: 11.5% by volume. IBU's 70"

Added by mattmaples on 10-12-2001

Ratings: 1,189 |  Reviews: 553

4.43/5  rDev +7.5%

This beer was tasted in a snifter from the 12oz bottle dated 2004.

This beer pours a brownish amber wiht a creamy tan head that holds amazingly well and laces nicely. The smell gives off fruity esters along with some nice pale and caramel malts along with some subtle piney hops. The taste bursts forth with tons of malty sweentess from the combination of pale and caramel/crystal malts. The aging of this beer has also given it a distinctly fruity taste. The beer finished with a nice hop flavor that compliments the over all taste and which seems to have mellowed out over time. The mouthfeel is full bodied and creamy with a nice conditioned carbonation. Overall, one of the top barleywines no doubt and perfect for this time of year.

3.75/5  rDev -9%

3.8/5  rDev -7.8%

I'm building a vertical of this beer, so will have to revisist this review when I do eventually have those. This review is based on the 2009 that I recently tasted. (which I also had when it first came out, but was not reviewing then)

A: The beer pours a cloudy dark copper brown with a half inch of dark tan head, nice lacing.

S: I get notes of oak, light vanilla and bourbon, along with rich caramel and toffee.

T: The flavor mostly mirrors, sweet caramel malt, light vanilla, oak, and just a kiss of bitterness to balance. The flavors are not as well blended as a I like, and would go as far to say it's a little muddled to me to be honest, as the a little heat gets in the way.

M: Medium body, oily, lightly carbonated.

O: I like it, as it's a Malty barley wine, as oppoosed to a hopped up barley wine. It's good now, but needs some more time to age for my preference. It's 11.50% so it will keep.

3.43/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Have to admit I was really disappointed in this one as it came highly recommended. It just seemed to be really flat to me. Almost to the point where I am wondering if I got a skunked bottle. I don't think so though. I realize this beer has a lot of fans so I will simply say it is not for me

4.52/5  rDev +9.7%

Amber color- tan head – malt, hop, mint, brown sugar, tobacco nose - malt, chocolate, tobacco, slight sour, over ripe apple - medium body- aftertaste malt, earth Amber color- tan head – malt, hop, mint, brown sugar, tobacco nose - malt, chocolate, tobacco, slight sour, over ripe apple - medium body- aftertaste malt, earth Amber color- tan head – malt, hop, mint, brown sugar, tobacco nose - malt, chocolate, tobacco, slight sour, over ripe apple - medium body- aftertaste malt, earth

4.75/5  rDev +15.3%

3.38/5  rDev -18%

3.75/5  rDev -9%

3.34/5  rDev -18.9%

I’ve had various vintages of this beer and if the others bottle of this years vintage are like this bottle then this must be the weakest of all. I was troubled when no lacing appeared after I poured the scarlet and caramel bodied brew into my pint glass. No head and no lacing. As the 7337 kiddies say these days “WTF”?

The ball gets rolling a bit with the nose. The hops leap out first with pine leading the charge. Bitter grapefruit brings up the rear with buttery not-too-sweet caramel hand in hand. The finish reminds for some reason of rose petals and rich honey. It’s very nice. Though this tastes great I find the thin mouthfeel distracting. No lie, this beer has the consistency of water. Now I’m a water drinker myself. I don’t drink any fruity or sugary drinks to quench my thirst, I’m a water guy. When I opt for a beer, I want a mouthfeel that reflects that. Not only does this fail but it flunks with flying colors.

I’d consider buying this again just to see if this bottle was a fluke. It tastes very good but the thin mouthfeel just kills it. A shame. I rated the drinkability low because of the mouthfeel. I considered making this a drain pour with every sip.

4.18/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.78/5  rDev -8.3%

Depends on the year, eh?

Doggie Claws from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room