Doggie Claws | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: American Barleywine

Availability: Fall

"a Barley Wine made in the West Coast style. Big malt and hops make this copper colored ale one of our most popular products. Produced in September and October and released in November, this Beer will improve for years to come. Alcohol: 11.5% by volume. IBU's 70"

Added by mattmaples on 10-12-2001

Ratings: 1,189 |  Reviews: 553
2.97/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle. 5 bucks for a 12oz? I guess.

A. Deep amber orange color with no head at all

S. Malt sweetness, different spices and earthiness. Perhaps a cherry sweetness too

T. Holy sweetness, the malts are so sweet, my first sip was not good nor were the ones to follow.

M. The taste in my mouth is horrible from this, no carbonation. The alcohol is hidden well which is a bad thing for this beer.

D. One was to much of this. Definitely a sipper, if that.

I'm disappointed with this beer, especially since it was 5 dollars.. Way to sweet for me. Wont be getting this again

4.33/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. 2008 little layer of sediment in the bottle.

Pours a dark gold/amber with zero head, some legs, very clear.

Smells of dark malt, little dark fruit, american hops, small alcohol edge to the aroma.

Upfront dark malt flavor, medium bitterness with small amount of american (citrus) hop flavor. Medium sweetness lingers on the pallet, very small amount of alcohol warming, alcohol in general is hidden very well in this. Aftertaste is a pleasant sweetness.

Overall very impressed with this, the carb was a little low on this bottle, going to leave a few more in the cellar and see if that improves. Highly reccomended if you dont mind the $5.50 pricetag for 12oz of beer.

4.42/5  rDev +7.3%

I'm new to this; take that for what it's worth.

Here it goes!

A: Coppery, but extremely cloudy. Like a well worn penny. A thick layer of sediment was easily observable while it was still in the bottle, which made the prospect of a delicious barley wine all but certain. The cloudy swirl inside my tulip glass had me salivating as I poured.

S: Very hoppy notes, uncharacteristic of the barley wine style. The initial nose lacked the typical malty sweetness and was more like a giant IPA, but tempting and promising nonetheless. After a healthy sip and some time to breathe, the nose became sweeter and the hoppy notes dissipated.

T: Amazing. Sweet, but not so syrupy and rich as to be overwhelming. Very enjoyable hop flavors with notes of maple syrup. Extremely rewarding with a great curve from hoppy to sweet with a clean finish.

MF: Smooth! A wonderful amount of carbonation, similar to a pub ale or a hand pumped draft. A word of warning though: unless you are partial to gargling a mouthful of yeast, pour this beer carefully. The last couple of sips were a bit on the chunky side...

D: A little goes a long way. I don't have the bottle in front of me, but I think this is 13%. I split a 12 oz. bottle with my wife and that was plenty. This beer is very drinkable, but I can't imagine having to down a schooner of it. By the time I got to the bottom of my glass, I was ready to move on to something a bit more tame. This is a colossal beer. The combination of high alcohol and over the top flavor are a bit much. It definitely bears repeat drinkings, just not in the same evening.

Overall, another great beer from Hair of the Dog. I'll be aging a couple of these (all that sediment has to do something great, right?) and possibly enjoying a couple more with some friends soon.

4.74/5  rDev +15%

I've traded for a few of these and apparently I have yet to review. God, I love this beer. I can say that I am not just influenced about my passion for HotD because in a previous improptu blind barleywine tasting, this came out on top alongside Foghorn. Much different indeed but both delicious.

12oz (2007) bottled poured into a big Delirium goblet.
Bottle Graphics: 9/10. HotD Classy.

A: Poured thick apple juice hazy peach color with a pretty thick off white head. The head was volumptious and did not go anywhere, nor did the lacing.

S: Intense sugar coated grapefruit right out of the gate. More of a mango aroma tickles the senses as it warmed up. The amount of hops can not be a joke here considering that their presence is more than blatant behind all those malts and sugars.

T: Not nearly as citrusy as the smell, the sweetness took over here. This is a roller coaster ride of flavor- it hits the mouth and it is sweet alcohol and malt, through the swallow it has a bit of tobacco and fruit and the aftertaste is laden with the bitterness. Terrificly complex with the closing out of toffee considerably dominating the caramel.

D: Dry with a resiny texture. More oily than creamy, albeit a full textured body. Can you tell this is weighing in at over 11%? Yes, but I don't care because I want to savor every single sip. This is a Mariano Rivera caliber closer for a night of smaller beers before it.

Another hit from the HotD house. I would love nothing more than to get a never ending supply in Jersey and will continue to trade to make it happen as much as possible. Hard to describe but it is one of those beers you drink and you know a lot of passion went into it.

This is a beer with a multiple personality disorder in that it is always changing with the flavors I am catching and love every bit of it.

4.57/5  rDev +10.9%

Merry Christmas BeerAdvocate! In celebration, I have opened up this years Doggie Claws. Mmmm!

A: Poured amber/brown from bottle, with heavy sediment left behind. Low carbonation and nearly no head left behind.
S: Nice hop aroma! Reminiscent of other HotD brews. After the hops, I notice a bit of caramelized malt smell.
T: Sweet malt and hop harmony abound. The hops have mellowed from their presence in the nose, but are still delicious. The honey flavor pokes through a bit.
M: Smooth and balanced. Lingering flavors. A very balanced beer. The alcohol has a warming affect, but is indistinguishable.
D: Ooooh damn. I could enjoy these all night long. I wish I had more than just one. I'll keep an eye open for more and look to cellar a few to see what it would become.

4.07/5  rDev -1.2%

A: Apple cider is an apt description of the appearance. Does not pour with much head at all, but it's not like this beer is flat.

S: Sweet maltiness, and grapefruit hops.

T: See above. This is a thick, sweet, malt bomb of a beer that is well balanced with hops. I'll disagree with others who think this could use more hops. You can taste the honey as well. Really nice for a cold night.

M: Thick body, slightly syrupy, sticky; carbonation is lighter side of medium.

D: You only want one of these at a time, which is fine.

3.43/5  rDev -16.7%

No head (sigh), pale color, beautiful, beautiful sticky lacing. Smells like HOTD. I mean, seriously.
More precisely, this one has the prune/sweet smell of an English-style but light - and then there's some grassy/citrus thing going on that hints (hopefully!) at a more 'merican style.
And then you taste it. Weird. Let me think about this for a bit. Whoa. Weird. Well, hey, I'm not going to tell you they used the same yeast as the last two I drank! The citrus is there but not like it is in most citrus hoppy beers. Let's see... It's mainly back of the mouth. The aftertaste is big and citrus - but it's not the kind that sneaks up on you and makes your mouth water, it's subtler and sweeter. Not bitter. Definitely hoppy. Not syrupy sweet but definitely sweet. Well, heck. I guess I'm stumped! Can I just back out of this now??? I don't know how to score this! I suppose that's what they're trying to achieve... That back of the mouth thing... It's like some foreign soda pop I've had, you know? Orangina? Doesn't sound right. Maybe the red Orangina - it's a little bitter, sweet, orangy. Blood oranges. The whole back of the mouth is blood oranges. Wacky. Well, for the level of sweetness here I need more something to balance it out. Usually that is bitterness so I guess, well, I'd like more bitterness. Or, as usual, maybe up the body a touch and lower the hops and call it English. As it is, it seems caught between styles.
I appreciate the efforts they are going to and acknowledge that they're doing things in the right way - experiment, brew what you want to brew, keep it low key, whatever - but so far I'm not a fan of their beers. When I read the style on the bottle I have certain expectations and this doesn't meet them. (I hope that I explained that well enough in the review but if not please call me on it and I'll make a little more effort.)

Edit: whoa. Talk about different. I just poured out the last few inches of the bottle and the color is significantly darker. The head was higher/normal (but gone in 20 seconds). The flavor is probably a little different, too. More bitter (makes sense to me). Still blood oranges/bitter oranges. And a really fleeting off flavor (less than 1/2 second) right before the full sweet/bitter orange hits. Whoa.

4.36/5  rDev +5.8%

Found a 2008 bottle while on vacation in Seattle area. Decided to try it since Hair of the Dog makes some good brews. Glad I did. The perfect cold weather warmer.

A : Dark orange and cloudy. No head.

S : Definite spice and cider aroma. Smells like Christmas.

T : A flavor explosion, very strong, can taste the alcohol. You have to savor the flavor because this is not a beer you can drink in excess.

M : Very full, kind of sticky. Pretty much no carbonation as can be expected.

D : Delicious. A perfect seasonal brew. I am in the Northwest this week and it is dumping snow outside , so its good to get a brew that keeps me warm on the inside. Smell is fantastic, taste is good, very strong so if you make it through a bottle yourself watch your step outside in cold weather.

The Doggie Claws 2008 version poured a reddish orange color with not much in the way of lacing or head which I would expect for a high abv of this type.

The aroma was like apple cider. Little bit of burning esters is you swirl and stick the nose in deep. A nice burn.

Taste real laid back with the maltiness staying on the tongue all the way through. It had a sweet apple cider malt taste to it. A tinge of hops give it some bitterness on the end. Overall it is a good effort but could use more of a hop profile.

2.95/5  rDev -28.4%

I'm drinking a 2006 bottle that I bought at the brewery when new and aged in my cellar. Unfortunately I have most of the case left, because it is not aging well. The caps must not be attached well, because the beer is still. This is not the only bottle in the case to turn out flat, either. Strange, because an earlier Doggie Claws -- 2003 -- was extremely bubbly, so much that the brewery sold cases at a hefty discount for several years afterward. It kept building up fizziness in the bottle. And it was a great beer! Champagne-like in its color and delicate flavor, once you waited for the head to die down. But there is no way to let the head "die up" on the newer one. It tasted good when fresh, but aging is supposed to benefit it. Well....It's a copper-colored, flat, sweet, strong drink. Sort of like an off--brand sherry. It might be good for cooking, except for all the hops. Really a shame because I usually like this brewery and love this beer.

3.69/5  rDev -10.4%

'08 bottle. For sipping, not gulping. Looks like unfiltered apple cider. Smells like it too. Big chunks of yeast floating around in the bottle look like dandruff. Fairly high in the hops category, but still nothing compared to some double IPAs. Big malt. A very well balanced beer. If it weren't so high in the alcohol, or masked it a little better, drinkability would be great too. I definitely plan on getting another bottle, and aging that one.

3.48/5  rDev -15.5%

Had an 05 and an 08 and didnt care too much for either one. First off it didn't pour with a very good head at all, almost non-existant, the smell was strong with alchohol but on the plus side I got some fruity notes out of it, maybe cherries. But still a very strong almost whiskey smell. It tasted very stong of alchohol as well, and very sweet with a strong after taste. It was Syrupy but thin at the same time if that makes since. the 05 had alot of sediment floating around in it. Not really my cup of tea.

4.25/5  rDev +3.2%

A: hazy red copper with thin ring of foam and lace, looks rather nice in the glass. The bartender was super great and gave me a huge sample and said " Merry Christmas" before I ordered one! IBU rating was 70

S: sweet hoppy punch up front with a slight malt edge that makes for a tempting brew. My nose wants to describe it as a strong Belgian-type brew

T: malt presence and hop bite all surrounded by a butterscotch sweetness, or some type of honeyed caramel flavor. It also brings to note various fruit characteristics that is in favor of hops. Considering its alcohol content it is rather complex and not just festering with alcohol tones. It is rich overall but malts and hops share the load and keep things interesting. Since were on the topic, by far an "interesting" barleywine brew.

M: creamy with syrupy type feel. Not super heavy but knocking on the door. Slight lemon/orange flavor in the finish

D: sometimes barelywine beers make me cringe as they are to over the top. They are not my favorite, but this one is by far the best I have had of its kind.
The first sip I had blew my socks off, the second sip blew my pants clean of my legs...this one put me on cloud nine and made my legs light and rubbery. Alcohol is a bit to much for my liking, but if in the right place, like by a roaring fireplace, this beer is perfect

3.37/5  rDev -18.2%

2006 release, acquired from Viggo courtesy of Birthday Club 2, so a big Thank You goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light brown color, with no head and no lacing which can happen with this type of beer when it's got some age one it.

S: The aroma is of brown sugar, caramel, bourbon, alcohol and a decent amount of hops.

T: The taste is sweet up front with flavors of caramel and brown sugar, there's a strong alcohol burn that follows along with a toned-down but complimentary hops presence. The malt character is very hearty. The after-taste is sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium-to-heavy body, very little carbonation, finish is sticky.

D: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, strong kick, decent representation of style, I've certainly had better barleywines, but I have a strong feeling that this beer would be much better fresh.

4.23/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2004 vintage consumed Dec. 2007. Pours a murky amberish brown with a lasting tan ring foam head. Man, the aroma is complex. I'm getting pine, hints of citrus hops, some grassiness, a mild alcohol sensation inside a smooth mixture of dates, prunes, cherries, raisins then behind that I smell roasted, chocolate and caramel malts. The fluid is viscous initially ushering in citrus and pine hops that are mild and muted along with stewed fruits like plums, figs, raisins, prunes, cherries and dates. Just like the aroma there is an under current of malts like chocolate, caramel and mild roastiness. The one tiny fault I get is the hops are just a hint much for the style. That's getting a bit too picky. Very enjoyable elixir.

12/02/06 Walk the Line Barleywine Festival, Dunedin, FL. 2002 vintage sampled from 12oz bottle. Hazy orange color with off white head. Very light aroma with some mild malt sweetness and a hint of maybe citrus. Tastes a bit tart with pale malts, pine and citrus hops.

4.45/5  rDev +8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

2007 vintage poured into a Unibroue tulip. Pours a murky dark orange with a nice frothy cream head. Aroma is some crisp sweet malts and pine hops. The taste is a wonderful abundance of burnt caramel, molasses, dried fruits and pine, all dancing together on the tongue. The beer is certainly a heavy sipper, but I the alcohol is still fairly well hidden, I am certainly going to let this one warm. This is simply one of the best Barely Wines I have had the pleasure of drinking, words cannot describe how much I would love to see these guys sold on the East coast.

4.59/5  rDev +11.4%

Cracked open a 2007 and poured into a snifter.

a. deep and complex orange lemon amber colors with a definite caramel haziness to it. Slightly dull and murky on the whole. As expected, a fairly thin but dense head bubbled to the top with an average pour, leaving behind some nice gummy lacing.

s. The depth of the aroma on this one is incredible. Initial notes are of sweet malt with some piney hops, coated with fruit. Mandarin oranges, pear, figs, and a bit of banana. There's also some subtle sweetness reminiscent of creme brulee or butterscotch pudding. As it warms, more of the pear, apple, raisin, and tangelo notes pull through, along with some sweet and pleasant alcohol esters.

t. Taste is a beautifully smooth blend of rich, almost citrusy malts and subtle but powerful citrus and floral hop notes. Very hoppy but not bitter, very malty but nauseatingly so. For aging less than a year, this one is pleasantly mellow for a barleywine with flavor profiles this strong. Some honey and caramel sweetness is definitely there, as is unidentifiable fruitiness akin to asian pears, persimmon and cherimoya. There are some beautiful flavors mixing together to create something pretty smooth and impressive.

m. Pleasurable is an understatement. Thick without tasting like sipping molasses. The carbonation escorts the thick barleywine down the tongue, making sure the tingling alcohol and bitterness from the hops is fully realized. Depth in mouthfeel is awesome and hard to come by.

d. Awesome, as most from Hair of the Dog tend to be... very well done. Malty and sweet but enough of the hops to remind you of an DIPA every now and then... which is perfect. This would definitely age beautifully, but at the same time, it's fairly impressive relatively fresh, which seems like a sign of a kickass barleywine in my books.

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%

Appearance - pours a hazy dull orange, a thin but solid cover of off white, holding well.

Aroma - citrusy, orange and pine, estery vapors alongside. Smells potent.

Taste - huge, sweet malty opening, roasty coffee-like malts chiming in early as well. Followed by syrupy, citrus, juiciness. Light on the bitterness, though not the hop flavor. The swallow stays sweet and grows slightly bitter with peach, dark fruit, mandarin orange. Abv is well-masked but makes its presence known with a finishing warmth.

Mouthfeel - heavy and drapy with low carbonation.

Drinkability - what a wonderful bottle of beer. Fresh or aged, I imagine this will be a fine experience. Big thanks to udubdawg for parting with one of these for my sake at DLD08.

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

2007 vintage 12oz inflatablechair picked up in Portland for me and SAS... much appreciation... It's been in the fridge for a couple of weeks.... tonight is the night. Poured into my New Belgium snifter.

1" head good lacing and hazy lite amber brew...

Aroma is thick malts with American hops.. some citrus and pine with more than enough caramel and toasty malts.

Flavor mirrors the aroma but with a big punch of yeasty frutiness and citric hops .... caramel and dark fruits.. rummy but in a good way.. big American hops.. but still there is an earthy hop component.. Huge complexity.. There is a bunch going on with this brew. Body is viscous but creamy carbonation.. a sipper but I will always want another drink. Very fine... loving what HotD is brewing.

3.5/4/4.5/4.5/4

4.22/5  rDev +2.4%

2007 vintage, yet another from tanyer. Thanks lady!

Pours a cloudy burnt orange with a 1/4" white head that stays and leaves quite a bit of lacing. Aroma is an intense burst of pungent American hops, fruity malt (pears, raisins, dates), brown sugar/caramel, and some cinnamon or nutmeg. Smells like a richer version of SN Bigfoot. Flavors are similar and equally big, but incredibly smooth for a barleywine this young. This one tastes like it already has several years under its belt, with a balance between malty dark fruit and hop bitterness. After about eight months in the bottle, the specific Amarillo and Simcoe flavors and aromas are gone, but their smooth bittering properties are hanging in there. Drinkability is truly exceptional for a beer this big; aside from a very slight dry/warm alcohol in the finish, you wouldn't guess this one is almost 12%. Mouthfeel is also solid for the style; it could actually be stickier/more viscous for my tastes.

4.12/5  rDev 0%

a 2006 bottle poured into a Snifter

A - Color is a deep copper with hint of gold within. There was no head at all within it and surprisingly there was a good bit of carbonation seen trailing upwards.

S - Smells of candied pineapple with a light smack of pine. There is also a big whiff of honey and toffee as well. There were hints of apple, figs and mango in there as well. This was one big and sweet nose!

T - The taste is rather sweet at first. There are hints of mango, sweet pineapple and honey and toffee. I can also taste some rum coming through and reminds me a bit of an rum soaked candy. As the beer sits in the mouth, there is a slight hint of pine that comes through as does the 11.5% alcohol. This is one heck of a malt bomb.

MF - Manages to be sticky without becoming cloying. The thick and syrups MF seems to fit the beer's flavor profile. Very light amount of carbonation in the MF which is surprising given the amount I saw in the inital pour

D - Overall this is one big and sweet beer. Definitely an American Barelywine in that it packs a ton of flavor in it and has the alcohol coming on strong. I think the nose is the best part of this beer as I just mind myself smelling this beer over and over again. I do like this and if I could find it easily, I could see myself buying one each year but I don't feel like I'd trade to get it again.

4.7/5  rDev +14.1%

2002 vintage poured into a oversized brandy glass
even with a carefull pour a thick white frothy head is quick to form on a dark amber body.

The smell is very nice with lots of malt oranges and something i just cant quite put my finger on.

The taste is very heavy on the orange but in a good way.

Mouthfeel is nice lots of carbonation despite it being 6 years old now.

This barleywine drinks just as easy as a lager yet is far more fun, ill be going back to my secret store to get more of these for sure!

4.79/5  rDev +16.3%

An inch and a half of fizzy deep tan head with nice retention and no lace. Body is a full burgundy brownish. Nose is big and lovely with slight sticky hops and lucious thick dark fruits with boozy tones. The first sip is monsterous with lots of intertwined attractive flavors. Mellow candied spices, a hint of juicy sharp hops, ripe plums, rum soaked raisens and homemade cherry pie all show up. The flavorful complexity swirls around the tongue with such grace you wouldnt know it was 11.5% alchol. Mouthfeel is thick and very enjoyable. Leaves quite a hue on the buds. A super sipper and a joy to drink.

4.28/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a deep amber color with a large 2 inch light tan head. Good retention.

Aroma is hop dominate with some citrus notes and rather floral.

Taste is quite good. A nice hop profile, fairly floral and a bit of citrus. Well balanced with some nice malting. Caramel, fruit, and sugar all come to mind. It's more complex, but I can't quite put my finger on all of it.

Mouthfeel is full bodied, thick and syrupy with a very gentle carbonation.

Drinkability is fairly high. Great flavor makes this brew easy to consume, and the alcohol is very well hidden. Would love to see what age does.

4.4/5  rDev +6.8%

2007 bottle courtesy of gregc and shaebs99.

A: Pours a hazy golden amber with a one-finger off-white head that lingered for quite a while leaving decent lacing.

S: Smell starts with a big citrus hop aroma with grapefruit up front giving way to the caramel malt and toffee background. There is also a big sugar sweetness throughout the nose.

T: Taste is a bigger version of the nose with the hops up front in the form of grapefruit and lemons. The sweetness takes over right after that burst with molasses and caramel. There is a hint of the booze as well on top of a ton of raisins and dates before the citrus hops come back for a slightly bitter finish.

M: Mouthfeel is unbelievably creamy with strong carbonation that prickles the tongue. Alcohol is present but not overpowering in the least.

D: This is a fantastic and original take on the style and one that I enjoyed immensely. Another great brew from HotD. Highly recommended!

Doggie Claws from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room