Doggie Claws | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: American Barleywine

Availability: Fall

"a Barley Wine made in the West Coast style. Big malt and hops make this copper colored ale one of our most popular products. Produced in September and October and released in November, this Beer will improve for years to come. Alcohol: 11.5% by volume. IBU's 70"

Added by mattmaples on 10-12-2001

Ratings: 1,200 |  Reviews: 558
3.11/5  rDev -24.9%

2006 vintage, courtesy of OlieIPA.

I can see about an inch of crap at the bottom of the bottle. What the hell is going on here? I crack it open and there is an accumulation of what looks like ear wax all over the mouth of the bottle. I'm not feeling to good about this right now. I carefully pour around the ear wax and manage to only get 2 floaties into my glass. Soft pour brings about no head and few bubbles. The fluid is actually a very nice shade of bronze.

Smells pretty decent. Barleywine caramel with a hint of pears? Something else too.

Well the taste approaches good but doesn't quite get there. Medium strength caramel flavor, some light bitterness, and a little other sweetness.

Fairly smooth, uncarbonated feel. It's just not very exciting. I don't think I'll be revisiting this one. Ever.

Overall: a far cry from my favorite barleywine.

4.92/5  rDev +18.8%

Acquired via a trade from Hoppymeal (thanks, bro!), and darn glad I did.

Opened the 12 oz bottle with a solid burst of carbonation. I poured it slowly but plenty of yeast made it into the glass which is fine by me. Brownish in color but somewhat cloudy from the yeast with a fair rain shower of carbonation and a one finger head which suprisingly, stays in a creamy pillow throughout the session.

The simcoe and amarillo hops were quite evident in the nose. Slightly grassy and herbal. Nice.

The taste scores an emphatic "wow!" as the fascinating herbal sweetness blends nicely with a mildly biting alcohol finsih. The hops are well hidden but you know they're in there doing their good work. Creamy head remains intact throughout. The word "great" comes to mind.

Mouthfeel is creamy and viscous. A perfect balance of taste and physical pleasure.

Surely one of the best if not the best barleywine I've ever had. A special treat, highly recommended! Thank you once again, Hoppymeal!

4.2/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a dark amber, almost brown color. Head is beige and dense. Hop aromas of grass and earth come through, while the more citric hoppiness blends with the intense honeyed malt character. Flavor is sweet with caramel and honey notes. Some raisin bread and an earthy finish with medium bitterness. Warming but not too viscous. Nice drinkability.

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

I almost had to cry I went to put this 2005 vintage bottle that thethrone sent me in the cellar for another day and heard it hissing so I quickly chilled it down and poured it into a snifter that was a close one. We did have a gusher, so I won't get to much into the appearance, big tan head hazy apple cider colored yes floaties as well good thing I like Belgians. My score reflects giving it the benefit of the doubt

But the aromas made up for the whole gusher moment one of the best Barleywine noses I have ever had the pleasure of drinking. Sweet caramel, wait is this a melted sugar daddy ;-) toffee, candy sugar, fruity as well

A nice sweet sipper even more enjoyable as the glass goes on. the flavors folow the nose to a T. The warmth of the alcohol is still present and helps this brew from being to coy. This barleywine is medium in the mouth and sticky on the tongue.

I must say some of the brews I have had on my want list I have tried and thought wow that was a waste of space. This is not one of them, this brew is truly a must try for any barleywine fiend. Thanks again Adam, I didn't plan on drinking this tonight but I am glad I did. Drinkability that is answered simply by saying I want more

4.27/5  rDev +3.1%

I've not been disappointed by HotD yet, so when I saw this at Vendome Toluca Lake, I had to pick it up. 2008 vintage. Love the bottle art...santa hat on Roswell and the hanukiah's on the front.

A: Pours a dark reddish-amber...almost brown. Tons and tons of sediment, so it ends up pretty hazy, to the point where you can't really see through the beer at all. Guess I shoulda been more careful with the pour. No head to speak of, but the lacing is damn impressive.

S: The nose is quite heavy with citrus and pine hops, but there's certainly a lot of sweetness to this brew as well. I note some apricot, mango, passion fruit and fig. Smells like quite a nice barleywine.

T: Opening is quite malty and sweet. A bit bready, some caramel, plenty of the fruitiness detected in the smell as well. Hops come out strong in the finish, citrus/grapefruit dominant and lingering on the tongue.

MF: Syrupy thick mouthfeel with pretty low carbonation. This works well, IMO. There's ENOUGH carbonation, but it doesn't really detract from the flavor. Warming is massive...just a huge hot alcohol feel with the beer...yet it doesn't taste or feel boozy.

D: Like the other "big" HotD brews I've had, this one would probably benefit from a little aging. It's still really hot. That being said, I like the hop character I get from this, and I imagine it would lose some of that with aging. Quite a strong brew, and a sipper to be sure. Drinkability is pretty good for the style. Very nice stuff.

4.77/5  rDev +15.2%

A - Hazy copper color that appears oily and viscous during the pour. Little to no head.

S - Aromatic hops and malty floral sweetness. Slightly grassy.

T - Delicious. The sweetness from the honey is wonderfully balanced with the aromatic hops. Up front the sweetness from the honey and malts are subtle and delicate, not overpowering at all. Then the fresh bite of the hops start coming through leaving the palate nice, refreshed, and wanting more Doggie Claws.

M - Has a full body and and wonderful mouthfeel

D - A quality brew from HotD. The high ABV is well hidden, this is a great beer that is warming and worth a try.

3.92/5  rDev -5.3%

2008 vintage

A - Hazy red orange amber body. No head forms but some off white bubbles on the rim of the glass. A little sticking to the sides

S - Malt, candied fruit, and some mellow hops. Some orange citrus in the back as well.

T - Malty and sweet. Mellow with some decent fruit notes especially some noticeable citrus and possibly some apple. A little bitter hop on the back end.

M - Medium body with very little carbonation. Almost like drinking a light syrup.

D - Very easy to drink and damn enjoyable. A little age and some carbonation would really make this beer better.

3.59/5  rDev -13.3%

A - Pours a cloudy, deep amber color somewhat reminiscent of a thick apple cider with some solid particles floating about. Almost no head on an aggressive pour.

S - Citrusy hops is the first scent to hit the nostrils followed by a ripe citrus fruit sweet scent. Some spice and yeast are also present.

T - Tastes like a strong, sweet apple cider that brings some heat. There is a yeast presence and only some mild spiciness. Oranges and pineapples are some of the other fruits that can be interpreted.

M - Quite smooth and enjoyable. Enough carbonation to keep things interesting and not thick enough to be disgusting for this style.

D - I don't really enjoy this beer so I'm looking to the next with quite a bit of this left in my glass.

3.95/5  rDev -4.6%

2008 Vintage.

Pours a deep amber with a 1 finger head which quickly recedes. Lacing is good. Very complex aroma. Orange, tangerine, and sweet bready malt. There's a yeasty spiciness to Doggie Claws.

Pleasant rich and sweet malt is balanced by a low level of hop bitterness. The flavor, like the smell, is yeasty. Alcohol is quite pronounced but very welcome. The hops impart a citrus flavor to the beer, reminiscent of oranges. Some ripe apple is also noticeable. Finish is a long blend of all the aforementioned flavors with alcohol being the most dominant.

The beer is on the upper end of medium bodied, nearly full, and the carbonation is very low. Mouthfeel is very smooth.

A nice winter sipper. Actually, pretty great for any time of the year.

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

2008. Freaking delicious. I'm not giving this beer a perfect score because it needs room to improve as it ages. That said, this is a great barleywine already. It has a big flavor (with West Coast hops still very much present), a luscious feel and good drinkability for the alcohol. I am an unapologetic fan of barleywines, both American and English, and Doggie Claws is one of the best that I've had. I disagree with a number of recent reviewers, so let's get down to business.

There are a lot of complaints about the head, but I got a good-sized head with a lot of lacing from a nice vigorous pour into an over-sized red wine glass. It's a nice wide glass, and the lacing is refusing to dissipate. There are still bot fine and small to medium bubbles sitting atop the majestic red-amber liquid.

Next, I see a few apple cider notes for the smell that are confusing the hell out of me. What kind of apple cider am I missing out on? This beer smells like excellent barleywine, caramel, sugar, grain, with an excellent grapefruity west coast hop influence.

The taste is fantastic. It's sweet and full. I enjoy the bitterness of the hop finish, still present in the recent vintage. The barley character is just delicious. I don't really know what else to say. I can imagine the sherry notes that will come to this beer with a bit more age on it.

The feel is wonderfully sticky and coats the mouth very pleasantly. I can understand calling it syrupy, but I like the flavor so much that I refuse to consider that a negative. Also, the alcohol is not overt. It's certainly there, particularly in the front of the flavor, but it will dissolve to nothing with age. The feel is very full.

This beer hits a lot of notes for me. I almost wonder if I will prefer it fresh to aged. It's just a great barleywine that warms you right up. It's fresh, elegant and delicious.

4.94/5  rDev +19.3%

2006 vintage from the bottle.

a- cap comes off with a weak "pifff", a pour of modest strength renders no head, and small pockets of bubbles jettison their way to the surface. Lots and lots of sediment, murky reddish brown body, with the occasional co2 bubble making its way up the glass.

S- Deep sherry, rum, raisen, fig, almond and a slight snap of citrus! This is one of the best noses ive had in a while! so much to it!

T- There is slight traces of carbonation, but nothing that can be called 'a normal amount'. Tangy spicy whips of grapefruit conjoin with a thick, heavy toffee, nutmeggy, roasted fig netherverse! WOW!

M- Heavy with no carbonation. i dont know if the lack of carbonation helps this one or not, but what they've done is create one of the most extraordinary barleywines ive had in months!

D- I had a 2008 DC and had poured ALL of the sediment into the cup and it was over run with tart AA, and grimy hop leaves, so thanks to that one i knew not to pour EVERYTHING into the glass. This saved the day. Very fine beer, and one i hope to drink more often!

2.97/5  rDev -28.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle. 5 bucks for a 12oz? I guess.

A. Deep amber orange color with no head at all

S. Malt sweetness, different spices and earthiness. Perhaps a cherry sweetness too

T. Holy sweetness, the malts are so sweet, my first sip was not good nor were the ones to follow.

M. The taste in my mouth is horrible from this, no carbonation. The alcohol is hidden well which is a bad thing for this beer.

D. One was to much of this. Definitely a sipper, if that.

I'm disappointed with this beer, especially since it was 5 dollars.. Way to sweet for me. Wont be getting this again

4.33/5  rDev +4.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. 2008 little layer of sediment in the bottle.

Pours a dark gold/amber with zero head, some legs, very clear.

Smells of dark malt, little dark fruit, american hops, small alcohol edge to the aroma.

Upfront dark malt flavor, medium bitterness with small amount of american (citrus) hop flavor. Medium sweetness lingers on the pallet, very small amount of alcohol warming, alcohol in general is hidden very well in this. Aftertaste is a pleasant sweetness.

Overall very impressed with this, the carb was a little low on this bottle, going to leave a few more in the cellar and see if that improves. Highly reccomended if you dont mind the $5.50 pricetag for 12oz of beer.

4.42/5  rDev +6.8%

I'm new to this; take that for what it's worth.

Here it goes!

A: Coppery, but extremely cloudy. Like a well worn penny. A thick layer of sediment was easily observable while it was still in the bottle, which made the prospect of a delicious barley wine all but certain. The cloudy swirl inside my tulip glass had me salivating as I poured.

S: Very hoppy notes, uncharacteristic of the barley wine style. The initial nose lacked the typical malty sweetness and was more like a giant IPA, but tempting and promising nonetheless. After a healthy sip and some time to breathe, the nose became sweeter and the hoppy notes dissipated.

T: Amazing. Sweet, but not so syrupy and rich as to be overwhelming. Very enjoyable hop flavors with notes of maple syrup. Extremely rewarding with a great curve from hoppy to sweet with a clean finish.

MF: Smooth! A wonderful amount of carbonation, similar to a pub ale or a hand pumped draft. A word of warning though: unless you are partial to gargling a mouthful of yeast, pour this beer carefully. The last couple of sips were a bit on the chunky side...

D: A little goes a long way. I don't have the bottle in front of me, but I think this is 13%. I split a 12 oz. bottle with my wife and that was plenty. This beer is very drinkable, but I can't imagine having to down a schooner of it. By the time I got to the bottom of my glass, I was ready to move on to something a bit more tame. This is a colossal beer. The combination of high alcohol and over the top flavor are a bit much. It definitely bears repeat drinkings, just not in the same evening.

Overall, another great beer from Hair of the Dog. I'll be aging a couple of these (all that sediment has to do something great, right?) and possibly enjoying a couple more with some friends soon.

4.74/5  rDev +14.5%

I've traded for a few of these and apparently I have yet to review. God, I love this beer. I can say that I am not just influenced about my passion for HotD because in a previous improptu blind barleywine tasting, this came out on top alongside Foghorn. Much different indeed but both delicious.

12oz (2007) bottled poured into a big Delirium goblet.
Bottle Graphics: 9/10. HotD Classy.

A: Poured thick apple juice hazy peach color with a pretty thick off white head. The head was volumptious and did not go anywhere, nor did the lacing.

S: Intense sugar coated grapefruit right out of the gate. More of a mango aroma tickles the senses as it warmed up. The amount of hops can not be a joke here considering that their presence is more than blatant behind all those malts and sugars.

T: Not nearly as citrusy as the smell, the sweetness took over here. This is a roller coaster ride of flavor- it hits the mouth and it is sweet alcohol and malt, through the swallow it has a bit of tobacco and fruit and the aftertaste is laden with the bitterness. Terrificly complex with the closing out of toffee considerably dominating the caramel.

D: Dry with a resiny texture. More oily than creamy, albeit a full textured body. Can you tell this is weighing in at over 11%? Yes, but I don't care because I want to savor every single sip. This is a Mariano Rivera caliber closer for a night of smaller beers before it.

Another hit from the HotD house. I would love nothing more than to get a never ending supply in Jersey and will continue to trade to make it happen as much as possible. Hard to describe but it is one of those beers you drink and you know a lot of passion went into it.

This is a beer with a multiple personality disorder in that it is always changing with the flavors I am catching and love every bit of it.

4.57/5  rDev +10.4%

Merry Christmas BeerAdvocate! In celebration, I have opened up this years Doggie Claws. Mmmm!

A: Poured amber/brown from bottle, with heavy sediment left behind. Low carbonation and nearly no head left behind.
S: Nice hop aroma! Reminiscent of other HotD brews. After the hops, I notice a bit of caramelized malt smell.
T: Sweet malt and hop harmony abound. The hops have mellowed from their presence in the nose, but are still delicious. The honey flavor pokes through a bit.
M: Smooth and balanced. Lingering flavors. A very balanced beer. The alcohol has a warming affect, but is indistinguishable.
D: Ooooh damn. I could enjoy these all night long. I wish I had more than just one. I'll keep an eye open for more and look to cellar a few to see what it would become.

4.07/5  rDev -1.7%

A: Apple cider is an apt description of the appearance. Does not pour with much head at all, but it's not like this beer is flat.

S: Sweet maltiness, and grapefruit hops.

T: See above. This is a thick, sweet, malt bomb of a beer that is well balanced with hops. I'll disagree with others who think this could use more hops. You can taste the honey as well. Really nice for a cold night.

M: Thick body, slightly syrupy, sticky; carbonation is lighter side of medium.

D: You only want one of these at a time, which is fine.

3.43/5  rDev -17.1%

No head (sigh), pale color, beautiful, beautiful sticky lacing. Smells like HOTD. I mean, seriously.
More precisely, this one has the prune/sweet smell of an English-style but light - and then there's some grassy/citrus thing going on that hints (hopefully!) at a more 'merican style.
And then you taste it. Weird. Let me think about this for a bit. Whoa. Weird. Well, hey, I'm not going to tell you they used the same yeast as the last two I drank! The citrus is there but not like it is in most citrus hoppy beers. Let's see... It's mainly back of the mouth. The aftertaste is big and citrus - but it's not the kind that sneaks up on you and makes your mouth water, it's subtler and sweeter. Not bitter. Definitely hoppy. Not syrupy sweet but definitely sweet. Well, heck. I guess I'm stumped! Can I just back out of this now??? I don't know how to score this! I suppose that's what they're trying to achieve... That back of the mouth thing... It's like some foreign soda pop I've had, you know? Orangina? Doesn't sound right. Maybe the red Orangina - it's a little bitter, sweet, orangy. Blood oranges. The whole back of the mouth is blood oranges. Wacky. Well, for the level of sweetness here I need more something to balance it out. Usually that is bitterness so I guess, well, I'd like more bitterness. Or, as usual, maybe up the body a touch and lower the hops and call it English. As it is, it seems caught between styles.
I appreciate the efforts they are going to and acknowledge that they're doing things in the right way - experiment, brew what you want to brew, keep it low key, whatever - but so far I'm not a fan of their beers. When I read the style on the bottle I have certain expectations and this doesn't meet them. (I hope that I explained that well enough in the review but if not please call me on it and I'll make a little more effort.)

Edit: whoa. Talk about different. I just poured out the last few inches of the bottle and the color is significantly darker. The head was higher/normal (but gone in 20 seconds). The flavor is probably a little different, too. More bitter (makes sense to me). Still blood oranges/bitter oranges. And a really fleeting off flavor (less than 1/2 second) right before the full sweet/bitter orange hits. Whoa.

4.36/5  rDev +5.3%

Found a 2008 bottle while on vacation in Seattle area. Decided to try it since Hair of the Dog makes some good brews. Glad I did. The perfect cold weather warmer.

A : Dark orange and cloudy. No head.

S : Definite spice and cider aroma. Smells like Christmas.

T : A flavor explosion, very strong, can taste the alcohol. You have to savor the flavor because this is not a beer you can drink in excess.

M : Very full, kind of sticky. Pretty much no carbonation as can be expected.

D : Delicious. A perfect seasonal brew. I am in the Northwest this week and it is dumping snow outside , so its good to get a brew that keeps me warm on the inside. Smell is fantastic, taste is good, very strong so if you make it through a bottle yourself watch your step outside in cold weather.

The Doggie Claws 2008 version poured a reddish orange color with not much in the way of lacing or head which I would expect for a high abv of this type.

The aroma was like apple cider. Little bit of burning esters is you swirl and stick the nose in deep. A nice burn.

Taste real laid back with the maltiness staying on the tongue all the way through. It had a sweet apple cider malt taste to it. A tinge of hops give it some bitterness on the end. Overall it is a good effort but could use more of a hop profile.

2.95/5  rDev -28.7%

I'm drinking a 2006 bottle that I bought at the brewery when new and aged in my cellar. Unfortunately I have most of the case left, because it is not aging well. The caps must not be attached well, because the beer is still. This is not the only bottle in the case to turn out flat, either. Strange, because an earlier Doggie Claws -- 2003 -- was extremely bubbly, so much that the brewery sold cases at a hefty discount for several years afterward. It kept building up fizziness in the bottle. And it was a great beer! Champagne-like in its color and delicate flavor, once you waited for the head to die down. But there is no way to let the head "die up" on the newer one. It tasted good when fresh, but aging is supposed to benefit it. Well....It's a copper-colored, flat, sweet, strong drink. Sort of like an off--brand sherry. It might be good for cooking, except for all the hops. Really a shame because I usually like this brewery and love this beer.

3.69/5  rDev -10.9%

'08 bottle. For sipping, not gulping. Looks like unfiltered apple cider. Smells like it too. Big chunks of yeast floating around in the bottle look like dandruff. Fairly high in the hops category, but still nothing compared to some double IPAs. Big malt. A very well balanced beer. If it weren't so high in the alcohol, or masked it a little better, drinkability would be great too. I definitely plan on getting another bottle, and aging that one.

3.48/5  rDev -15.9%

Had an 05 and an 08 and didnt care too much for either one. First off it didn't pour with a very good head at all, almost non-existant, the smell was strong with alchohol but on the plus side I got some fruity notes out of it, maybe cherries. But still a very strong almost whiskey smell. It tasted very stong of alchohol as well, and very sweet with a strong after taste. It was Syrupy but thin at the same time if that makes since. the 05 had alot of sediment floating around in it. Not really my cup of tea.

4.25/5  rDev +2.7%

A: hazy red copper with thin ring of foam and lace, looks rather nice in the glass. The bartender was super great and gave me a huge sample and said " Merry Christmas" before I ordered one! IBU rating was 70

S: sweet hoppy punch up front with a slight malt edge that makes for a tempting brew. My nose wants to describe it as a strong Belgian-type brew

T: malt presence and hop bite all surrounded by a butterscotch sweetness, or some type of honeyed caramel flavor. It also brings to note various fruit characteristics that is in favor of hops. Considering its alcohol content it is rather complex and not just festering with alcohol tones. It is rich overall but malts and hops share the load and keep things interesting. Since were on the topic, by far an "interesting" barleywine brew.

M: creamy with syrupy type feel. Not super heavy but knocking on the door. Slight lemon/orange flavor in the finish

D: sometimes barelywine beers make me cringe as they are to over the top. They are not my favorite, but this one is by far the best I have had of its kind.
The first sip I had blew my socks off, the second sip blew my pants clean of my legs...this one put me on cloud nine and made my legs light and rubbery. Alcohol is a bit to much for my liking, but if in the right place, like by a roaring fireplace, this beer is perfect

3.37/5  rDev -18.6%

2006 release, acquired from Viggo courtesy of Birthday Club 2, so a big Thank You goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light brown color, with no head and no lacing which can happen with this type of beer when it's got some age one it.

S: The aroma is of brown sugar, caramel, bourbon, alcohol and a decent amount of hops.

T: The taste is sweet up front with flavors of caramel and brown sugar, there's a strong alcohol burn that follows along with a toned-down but complimentary hops presence. The malt character is very hearty. The after-taste is sweet.

M: Crisp and a little smooth, medium-to-heavy body, very little carbonation, finish is sticky.

D: A little tasty, goes down ok, not too filling, strong kick, decent representation of style, I've certainly had better barleywines, but I have a strong feeling that this beer would be much better fresh.

Doggie Claws from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room