Doggie Claws | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: American Barleywine

Availability: Fall

"a Barley Wine made in the West Coast style. Big malt and hops make this copper colored ale one of our most popular products. Produced in September and October and released in November, this Beer will improve for years to come. Alcohol: 11.5% by volume. IBU's 70"

Added by mattmaples on 10-12-2001

Ratings: 1,187 |  Reviews: 552
4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

12 ounce bottle into snifter, 2012 vintage bottling. Big crack upon opening, very highly carbonated. Pours lightly hazy/cloudy ruby red color with a 2-3 finger foamy light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty foamy lacing clings around the glass, with a large amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of big tangerine, grapefruit, citrus rind, pine, pepper, floral, grass, caramel, toast, brown sugar, raisin, honey, herbal, and floral earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance and complexity of hop and malt notes; with great strength. Taste of big grapefruit, orange zest, citrus rind, caramel, toast, toffee, brown sugar, raisin, honey, floral, grass, pine, herbal, and floral/toasted earthiness. Fair amount of earthy floral/pine bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of grapefruit, orange zest/rind, pine, caramel, toast, toffee, brown sugar, raisin, honey, floral, herbal, and floral/toasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Damn nice balance and complexity of citrus/pine hops with dark malt/honey flavors; with a great malt/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a moderately slick and fairly sticky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a light warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent barleywine. All around great balance and complexity of malt and hop flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the ABV. A very enjoyable offering.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

A: poured a murky brown with pale yellow highlights that had basically no head and no lacing sticking to the glass.

S: the caramel and booze really pop out on the nose right away with citrus orange but it did have earthy leafy notes.

T: the citrus orange and caramel hit the palate first with a pretty good amount of booze, but it did still have eathy leafy accents, and catus like character as well.

M: the brew was medium in body with a low amount of carbonation which had a sweet, earthy, citric, boozy, and sticky finish.

D: it drank decent considering the ABV on the beer and was really tasty for being a barleywine. HOTD always comes through for me.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%

2009 poured into a tulip glass.

A - A light burnt orange color with a small head with a little lacing

S - light floral hops with subtle dark fruits, caramel.

T - very well balanced between hops and malts. The hops are light and floral and the malt backbone (dark fruits, caramel, toffee) that is not overwhelmingly sweet.

M - very lightly carbonated and easy on the mouth. Very clean.

D - For an American barleywine, this is one of the most drinkable American barleywines I have had in some time. It's not too hoppy (like Old Guardian tends to be) and its not too sweet (like many English barleywines),

Overall, an awesome west coast barleywine. Only thing I would like is a bit more complexity.

4.1/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Bottle from share on 11/12. Hazy brown pour with small tight beige head. Very malty all the way through, in both aroma and taste. Notes of caramel and a bit of hops finish this one off.

2005 vintage
A cloudy dark orange amber fills the glass with a full 2 finger tan head that melts very slowly leaving sticking lacing in it's wake. I poured completely so lots of yeast chunks floating around which settle quickly to the bottom of my goblet.
Very subdued aromas of faint malt and only a hint of hops. Let it warm and the sweet malts and soft, citrus malts make theirselves known.
The taste, however is something else entirely.
Candy sweet toasted amber malt with dark, candied fruits...raisins, plums, prunes...then surprisingly fresh, citrus peel hops on the tale end. Definately taste the simcoe an amarillo. Lots of grapefuit on the finish. There is more of a hops presence in this beer than I have had in any other barleywine.
Mouthfeel is thick with tingly carbonation and a decent alcohol warming.
Nothing sticky or cloying in the aftertaste...just grapefruit peel hops and alcohol warming.
"Tis the season", and this one fits in perfectly.
Thanks to weefisheads for getting me this bottle.

4.11/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

4.11/5  rDev -0.2%

Vintage 2003 as reviewed on 6/9/06.

Pours murky mahogany, with cola-like carbonation release.
Yeast chunks make thier way to the bottom as any threat of a head fizzle out.
Medium sized bubble perculate to the placid surface.
Zero lacing with particulate matter clinging to the glass midway.
Rich and roasty malts dominate the aromatics, with dark fruit and mild oxidation.
Mild pine notes and dried bark with roasted figs underneath.
Alcohol is warming, and nose finishes spicey and dry.
Fullishly medium body, slickish and tacky. Slightly prickly carbonation.
Pallet is filled with sticky malt, alcohols, and bitter fruits.
Citrus-laded dried sap and caramel.
Mildly oxidized, resinous, and almost hot.
Bitterness is substantial, but not detractive, unlike the wet cardboard note.
Finishes long, warming, slightly mettalic, and lightly astringent.

Three years old and past prime?

Revisit, vintage 2004 as reviewed on 2/10/12.

This ones tasting pretty good, very light oxidation with plenty of plump, juicy malt and some shades of pine still coming through. Most of the hops have faded, just warming booze and sticky malt for the most part. A hint of celery seeds oddly step forward in the finish as the beer warms. This beer is still hands-down way better fresh. This vintage is holding up very well though for an eight year old.

4.11/5  rDev -0.2%

Just poured a 12oz bottle of the new 2009 Doggie Claws into a snifter. The first thing to stand out at me is that the carbonation level on this year's release is much higher than the 2007 and 2008 releases. Also the amount of yeasty stuff at the bottom of the bottle is much less then years such as 2005 and 2008.

Doggie Claws has always been one of my favorite beers and the flavor is that of perfect biscuity malts and a slight hint of tropical fruit with a sweet sticky honey finish that leaves you licking your lips. At this point the doggie claws is still a little hot with the 11% alcohol and you can tell this vintage will age well.

I just picked up a 2002-2009 vertical of doggie claws at the dock sale and it will be fun to see how all of them have aged over time. I have already tasted vintages of 2005, 2007 and 2008 in the past and so far the 2005 and the 2008 have been favorites.

I forgot to add that this year's vintage looks darker than Doggie Claws of the past, maybe similar to 2007.

4.11/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

4.12/5  rDev 0%

9-4-09 - 2003 vintage bottle review. Pours into my glass a deep hazy brownish red with a half inch of light tan foam. Aromas of intensely deep sweet caramel malts dancing with dark fruits. Hints of cocoa and marzipan...fruitcake?? Citric, piney hops in the background and these things are still kicking after all these years.

First sip is dense rich sweet malts swirling with caramel and dark fruits. Hints of dark sweet breads, raisins and a touch of molasses. Flows down with a good kick of hoppy bitterness with citric and pine resin flavors. Big, rich and falling on the sweet side....tasty barleywine that has aged quite nicely!

Mouthfeel is big, chewy and malty. A super dense rich barleywine that makes itself known with each sip. Overall, I enjoyed this vintage quite a bit and look forward to the others in my cellar.

12-22-05 - 2005 vintage bottle. Brewed with Simcoe and Amarillo hops along with dark wild flower honey collected on Mt. Hood. Pours from the longneck a deep dark murky brown with hints of red. Only a ring of small bubbles around the top of the brew...seems a bit uncarbonated. Hopefully this is not a bad sign! Aromas of deep caramelly sweet malts along with a big wet cardboard oxidized aroma...damn. Brash herbal, citrusy hops lie underneath but they are shadowed by the off aromas. The hops smell fresh and juicy.

First sip brings a strong sweet caramel, raisiny maltiness upfront clouded again by the cardboard-esque off flavors. The hops still come through strong with a big herbal, citric bitterness all the way through each sip and on the way down. I really wish I could be tasting the full potential of this brew right now...as I'm imaging in my head it would be lovely. As of now...it's nearly undrinkable.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with little to no carbonation. Goes down smooth but the flavor just kills it. I'm hoping that the bottle I have in the cellar will not be as problematic as this one. I'll report back when I open it. In it's current state it's unfortunately not drinkable in the least. Damn. Thanks to weefisheads for the bottles..I'm gonna cross my fingers for the second one. A: 3 S: 3 T: 2.5 M: 3.5 D: 2.5 - Overall 2.8 C

4.12/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

a 2006 bottle poured into a Snifter

A - Color is a deep copper with hint of gold within. There was no head at all within it and surprisingly there was a good bit of carbonation seen trailing upwards.

S - Smells of candied pineapple with a light smack of pine. There is also a big whiff of honey and toffee as well. There were hints of apple, figs and mango in there as well. This was one big and sweet nose!

T - The taste is rather sweet at first. There are hints of mango, sweet pineapple and honey and toffee. I can also taste some rum coming through and reminds me a bit of an rum soaked candy. As the beer sits in the mouth, there is a slight hint of pine that comes through as does the 11.5% alcohol. This is one heck of a malt bomb.

MF - Manages to be sticky without becoming cloying. The thick and syrups MF seems to fit the beer's flavor profile. Very light amount of carbonation in the MF which is surprising given the amount I saw in the inital pour

D - Overall this is one big and sweet beer. Definitely an American Barelywine in that it packs a ton of flavor in it and has the alcohol coming on strong. I think the nose is the best part of this beer as I just mind myself smelling this beer over and over again. I do like this and if I could find it easily, I could see myself buying one each year but I don't feel like I'd trade to get it again.

Vintage 2011.

poured into oversized snifter.

Appearance: Murky copper brown bodied beer with a small white head less than one finger tall. Recedes quickly to a ring around out side of the glass. The beer has a decent amount of lacing.

Smell: This is a big nose on this barleywine with a fairly assertive hop profile. Huge dark fruit notes mixed with traditonal caramel and toffee notes of most barleywines. Hops smell fresh; lots orange and pineapple with a little bit of pine and grapefruit in there.

Taste: Little bit on caramel, burnt sugar, and toffee right away. The malt profile is substantial and fairly rich; it is quickly interupted by the hops. Mild to moderate hops bitterness, the hops are not as strong as I was thinking they would be based on the nose of the beer. The hops have alot of pine notes, also tastes very leafy and almost have a green tea flavor to them. The hops are also fairly dank and musty. The balance between malt and hops profile is okay, but its a bit more hop heavy than I like my barleywines, but its appropiate for the American Barleywine style. It got a bit of a booze kick in the finish.

Mouthfeel: This beer is on the high end of medium bodied, really close to a full bodied beer. Almost moderate carbonation levels, but i gotta say the carbonation is low for a bottle conditioned beer. This beer is fairly syrupy, but has enough carbonation to break it up. The alcohol is a bit warming, but i would still consider this beer smooth. Once again the difference maker in this beer is the bottle conditioning. I wish that all craft beers were bottle conditioned, it just makes a beer than much better reguardless of the style.

Overall: I really do enjoy Hair of the Dog Brewery. They make great beers in styles that I enjoy. As far as Doggie Claws goes its a really nice American Barleywine, probably on of the better ones have had. While I still prefer the English Style Barleywines this beer holds its own. I will say I prefer Adam over this beer, it still worth a try for any fan of barleywines.

4.12/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: This beer has a deep reddish brown body and is topped with an ample head of off white fluff that is very sticky. If you've ever had HOTD beer, you know that you must pour it slooowly to avoid having too much head.

Smell: A sharp boquet greets the nose and smells of mostly simicoe and amarillo hops, fresh cut pine, summer grasses, and slighty sweet esters.

Taste: This is more rich and malt based than the 2002 version. Actually, this is a better example of a barleywine, but I think I like last year's hop-soup better. This version has a huge amount of malted barley that gives a more pronounced richness to the flavor. Sweet cherry, raisin and other vinous fruits exude throughout the mouth as the heavy hop prescence comes out in the finish and in the aftertaste. Spicy, juicy hops linger, but are balanced out by the maltiness.

Mouthfeel: Full and rich, this slides down easily and puts you to sleep. It's got some serious weight, but I'd be hard pressed to guess 11.5% ABV.

Drinkability: I like this, but I prefer the 2002. Maybe I'm just turning into a hophead, or find myself measuring it against the version that I had first. I'd drink this often, as it is a great barleywine. However, as I can't find it near me, I'll have to content myself with the other 2 I have in the cellar. I have a feeling those will not live to see very old age.

Super-mucho thanks to BA Weefisheads for sending me these West Coast delights.

4.12/5  rDev 0%

Picked this one up at the foodery.

Says 2004 on the label, so I guess they store their barleywines a year before selling them.

Poured a dark chestnut, not as amber as I would have thought for a barleywine. The lacing was very evident as well as the roasted caramel smell. Hoppy for sure, but not as hopful as the bottle boasts.

The taste was coffee and sweet at first and then the hops hit you full force. Finished with a very phenolic aftertaste, very apple-ish. The mouthfeel was very very thick and creamy and not as thin as say a Sierra Nevada.

As a barleywine fan I must say this one is very cool. Cant say I would pick this one as my top, it made me pass out, but for the style it is very different.

4.12/5  rDev 0%

I'm finally popping this 2010 that I bought online about a year ago.

A: The marketing speak says this one is copper in color, but I would best describe it as Christmas red. The head is absolutely the biggest and frothiest one I've ever seen on a Barleywine.

S: Glorious! This is a hop bomb for sure, and with the distinctive cherry and apple "Jolly Rancer" quality that I commonly get in West Coast Barleywines. Additionally, I did get some of the honey poking through - this really set it apart from many others I've tried in this style.

T: Super sweet, yet hoppy at the same time, and I got a bit of a licorice/Twizzle combo in there as well, in addition to a hop wallop that is so ridiculous that it has to be sampled to be believed!

M: My snifter looks like it just went through a car wash and my palate is thoroughly wrecked with hoppy, syrupy goodness. Thanks Hair of the Dog...

O: I still give the edge to "Adam," but this is both tasty and infinitely memorable.

4.12/5  rDev 0%

Thanks going out to grumpy for the opportunity to consider this 2005 vintage!

Pours a bright mahogany amber with a huge stiff sand colored head that resists fading. The first half will stay clear for you. Be ready for substantial chunks of bottle aging from the bottom of the bottle. A good amount of lacing in it's wake. The smell is classic aggressive sweet molasses caramel. Visibly carbonated, the mouth feel is tangy between the hop and alcohol. Full bodied without being syrupy the sweet elements coat nicely and linger well. The flavor is malty sweet and creamy caramel. The 11.5% ABV is integrated well. An easy drinker. The last 2oz were way too chunky for me. Recommended.

4.12/5  rDev 0%

I was surprised by the amount of sludge at the bottom of the bottle but I still enjoyed the beer.

The aroma is quite hoppy with some malt in there. The hop aroma overpowers the malt aroma to the point that its hard to tell whats in there aside from some delicious northwestern hops. The flavor was not nearly as bitter as the aroma would allow one to believe. There is some bitterness in the aftertaste but the initial flavor is sweet and some kind of a cross between an english barleywine and an american barleywine. Very interesting.

The beer had a heavy thick body to it that really made it smooth and enjoyable. Aside from the huge amount of dead yeast at the bottom of the bottle, it was a pretty good beer.

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%

Many thanks to moosington for sending me this bottle a while back.

Vintage 2009

Doggie Claws pours a dark copper color. It's very hazy, and backlighting gives it orange and crimson highlights. A soft, tan head caps it and stands roughly a finger and a half tall. It's very slow to dissipate and leaves a sticky web of lace lining the glass.

The nose seems a little weak. More strength would help immensely. A heavy, sweet dose of caramel malts greet the nose early on. They're followed by a nice dark fruit scent. Raisin, plum, and fig are all present and accounted for. Yeast is notable. Despite this bottle's age, a few hop remnants are noted. They smell mostly piney and floral. Alcohol is noted, but has integrated well. It smells pretty good, but more strength would really improve it dramatically.

The flavor is very robust and impressive. Caramel malts give it a sweet, but incredibly sturdy backbone. A little bit of hop flavor follows. It's somewhat piney and floral. At this point, they're mostly gone, but they still add something. Dark fruit flavors of raisin, plum, and fig add quite a bit of depth and complexity. There's also an earthy or herbal quality to the flavor that adds a very refined flavor. It tastes a little like tobacco and leather. Nicely done. Alcohol is there, but has blended well over the past year or so. It's not hot or warm at all. Finishes sweet with a twist of dark fruit and tobacco.

Doggie Claws has a medium body that feels thicker and somewhat chewy with a little warming. That's not out of the ordinary for Hair of the Dog. Those guys routinely nail mouthfeel. Carbonation is moderate, but doesn't negate its smooth feel. Drinkability is good. This is a big beer, but it goes down nicely. I'm not sure I'd want more than a 12 oz. bottle, but I'd be tempted.

Hair of the Dog is one of those breweries that really knows how to do things right. It seems like every beer I've had from them has been absolutely packed with flavor. Doggie Claws is no exception. Yeah, the nose could use a little more muscle, but that's about the only slight jab I can take. This is impressive stuff. Find a bottle.

4.13/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Aggressive pour into goblet...

A: Pours a dark amber with hints of chocolate brown. Very viscous with absolutely no head at all...seems completely flat.

S: Huge fruit and malt aroma, lots of floral honey, sweet pears and just a hint of floral citrus hops.

T: Tons of fruit, pears, apples, honey, sweet citrus tangerine, lemon peel, caramel malt, booze comes through in a big way as well. Very complex and layered...very nice.

M: Heavy mouthfeel but very smooth and just a faint hint of carbonation, reminds me a lot of the JW Lees bw's. Booze detracts just a touch as it is a bit hot in the back of the throat.

D: This is a sipper for sure, take your time and enjoy the complexities. However at 11.5% it is fairly drinkable.

Doggie Claws from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room