Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Blue Dot Double India Pale AleBlue Dot Double India Pale Ale

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States | website

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Available in kegs year-round; rotating release in bottles, dated by 'Season' and 'Year' ('Spring 2009', 'Winter 2010', etc.)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2005

Reviews: 497 | Ratings: 1,024
4.49/5  rDev +10.9%

Big thanks to CoastieSimon for the share, and the apparently generous hopsbreath for sending it to him.

A - The brew pours a hazed glowing orange, quite impressive in hue, and is topped with a relatively scant soapy head.

S - The nose is candied orange, tamarind, and mango atop a sugar cookie malt. As I get deeper into the aroma, fresh-squeezed tangerine juice, peaches, apricots and kiwis are noted.

T - The flavor adds bitter grassy notes, peaches, orange zest, kumquat, lemon, and woodiness and continues the sugar cookie malt. On the lighter side for a DIPA, and the ABV is absolutely buried.

M - Despite the rustic appearance, the feel is quite lively. There is a long dry citrus finish which really drives home the bitter impression; enhancing mouthfeel.

O - I've wanted to try this for quite some time, and it definitely did not disappoint.

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Pours a cloudy golden orange with a large foamy white head that sticks and laces nicely. Huge hops, grapefruit, rind, sweet malt, some floral. Absolutely delicious. Carbonation awesomely lively and the finish is hoppy but not dry or bitter. Drinkability is of the charts for a DIPA. Sessionable beer for sure. Not a monster like many DIPAs but very well done HOD. A must try.

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

I loved the Winter 2011 release, so I thought I would try the Spring 2011 release today.

Poured into my HotD tulip.

A- Pale cloudy orange with a thin white head. The head has fine bubbles, good retention and lacing present.

S- Citrus hits you first, followed by a strong pine scent.

T- Sweet organges first, then again followed by the pine.

D-Mild carbonation, I wish there was more. Very creamy in the mouth.

O- If there was more carbonation and a touch less sweetness, this would be an A+ in my book.

Edit 5.13.11
I just had this on tap at the Tasting Room. On tap there is nice carbonation! Just what I was wanting.

Now Playing - Stevie Ray Vaughn - Tin Pan Alley

Thanks to Beechwood for the rare chance to have this on tap!

A- medium brown color, nice solid head
S- brown sugar and mild tobacco
T- better than I even expected. The brown sugar in the nose develops into more exotic fruit in the taste. The hop/malt balance and interplay make this an incredibly interesting beer from start to finish
M- Like a good French Dip, the harmony of the flavours actually defines the mouthfeel (if that made any sense)
D- Pour me another!

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Hair of the Dog's Blue Dot Imperial IPA purchased from their Earth Day sale, and after slowly taking bottle after bottle out of my case, I finally decide to go ahead and review it. I poured mine into a tulip to better harness some hop scents.

The beer poured a slightly hazy golden yellow with an inch of white, frothy head that poured and retained at about a finger's height. Splotches of white lacing stuck to the side of the glass in random placess. The nose was quite fine: big, resiny, oily, PNW hoppiness flowing up and into my nostrils calling out to my thirst for hops. The first sip left a slightly bland, dry finish as it lingered on my tongue, but every subsequent sip seemed to unleash a slightly subdued hoppiness - for a DIPA - that seemed to spread its bitterness from the center out of the pallette. The beer rolled around and inside the mouth with a dry, hoppy finish lingering as it finished. Medium bodied with perhaps the only mark of an its 7% abv being the intense dry sensation left across my tongue after swallowing. This is a drinkable beer, and I wish it were available in 12 oz. bottles...

Blue Dot is a unique Double IPA. It is one of the most drinkable DIPA's I've tried, but also one of the lower abv products in the category. Also, its hoppiness, while stronger than the majority of normal American IPA's, isn't quite as intense or strong as others like Ruination or Hercules. One to try though for the hop lovers, but - as I've said before - how about sixers of this one? I could sip on it all night long.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Fresh bottle Winter 2012. Pours a very hazy apricot orange with a one inch white head that clings to the side of my glass leaving thick curtains of lace, quite beautiful. A very fresh blast of hops greets your senses along with fresh squeezed red grapefruit. The flavor is red grapefruit, tangerine and toasty biscuit from the malt bill.The mouth is crisp, dry and wonderfully balanced. This is the second time I have had this brew,and by far this is the freshest example, a really good DIPA that I would buy again.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours with a nice head that holds the edge of the snifter as it dissipates in the center. Aroma is citrus and tropical fruits. Tastes is aa fruit bomb! Great! Citrus, tropical fruits, melon honey very light malt finish. Grabbing another tomorrow excellent dipa.

4.45/5  rDev +9.9%

22oz bottle poured into a 22oz mug.

Golden orange in color, very thin head that sticks persistently to the side of the mug. Not very carbonated. Smells citrusy and hoppy with less of the "pine" than I usually get from a super-hopped brew.

Taste is delicious -- nicely balanced hops and fruit. Not overly bitter, not overly sweet. Plenty of both. Citrus and spice and spruce and forest-after-a-thunderstorm smell. Very pleasant.

Mouthfeel is thin, almost flat and watery (I wonder if my bottle's old?), maybe slightly tinny.

The fresh strong flavor is what makes this beer drinkable. Very nice.

---
2012-03-11

Having it again. Still delicious. Wonderful smell. Mouthfeel is not flat, although thin is still applicable. Maybe my last bottle was old. I'd give it better marks this time than I did my first time.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Glad this one is my 100th review on BA. Taken from my notes on 06.14.08. Spring 2008 version poured into my special goblet.
Very hazy orange in appearance with not much carbonation resulting in a very small head, which quickly disappeared. Looked like a big glass of unfiltered apple juice.
Huge citrus whiffs with some malt sweetness.
Pretty soft first sip, which was the calm before the storm. Nice, very noticeable tangerine hop flavor with a nice bubblegum sweetness. Dry-ish cottonmouth hoppy mouthfeel. Glass became less hazy, at about the halfway mark. Very interesting hop profile...very juicy, lingering and very enjoyable.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to Solomon420 for this bomber.

Uh oh...that was my first thought when I poured this one. Looks like unfiltered apple juice. Thin head appears then quickly disappears. Very little lacing. I must admit I was worried.

The aroma was a good sign, though. Filled with grapefruit hops and not much else. Sure, there is a bit of malt waaay in the background, but this is a DIPA and it is not scared to let you know it.

The flavor matches the aroma. Full of citrus hops but with more of a malt presence. Not as bitter as I expected it to be, yet it still fulfilled my hop head needs. Piney bitterness at the finish gives it a nice zip.

Mouthfeel is silky smooth. Light carbonation. Almost seems as if this one was hand pulled straight out of the barrel...not poured from the bottle. Lower abv for a DIPA means the alcohol isn't noticed at all. This is one good beer. I could have easily drank another bomber or two if I had them available. Thanks, Damian!

4.44/5  rDev +9.6%

Shared this with a friend on Christmas.

Pours a bright golden orange with a fluffy off white head that persists through most of the glass. Smells of grassy, spicey, resinous hops with a bit of caramel and rye toast in the background. Taste is resinous hops spicy rye with some caramel hidden deep in the back. Finishes a bit dry with a lingering resinous bitterness. Medium to Thick Body, grainy mouthfeel, crisp carbonation. This beer smells incredible and tastes pretty good too.

On tap at HotD.

Lingering white lacy head. Pale caramel body.

Toffee-hops nose. It works!

Unlike any other DIPA I've had-- hops, but not too bitter, lots of toffee to balance, but not too sweet. Possibly bark-y, dog puns aside.

It's a DIPA that even I like! Who knew?

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

From tap at Henrys 12th Street. Pours with a great head and settles into a nice lace. Good deep gold, light brown hue. Richly aromatic with fresh hops, citrus, ginger, and exotic spice notes. Flavor is rich and shows more of the same fresh notes as the nose suggests. The texture is what sets this brew apart. This is a rich, delicious IPA. The hops are so well integrated that there is little apparent tannin on the finish. Balanced and easy to sip on. Maybe not for the IPA purists, but I am a huge fan nonetheless!

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

22oz bomber poured into dogfish goblet. Been looking forward to trying this one for a long while.

A: Poured vigorously and cloudy right up front with a fluffy white head. Sediment in the pour, not the best characteristic of this beer but it aint turning me away. Gold and bubbly.

S: Lots of hops. Citrusy and fruity and almost overpowering hop with a bit of a liquid soap stench - enticing. Some floral hops but really dominated by the mango.

T: Incredibly bitter that isnt really balanced by the malts or caramel which is there but in a good way.

M: Dryness and little to no carbonation. Oily hopfeel. No alcohol burn.

D: Through the roof here. I need to score another one of these bombers, went down way way too easy.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

Bomber served in a Goose Island IPA tulip - thanks again, ptykozoon!

A - Cloudy, light amber, hardly any head and marginal lacing, but a beautiful geometric figure resting on the surface of the beer bumps this up a notch.

S - Grapefruit, caramel, floral hops

T - Piny hops lead quickly into a fruity citrus explosion - pungent grapefruit and orange juice appear prominently --> Rich caramel malts complement the enduring citrus aspects in the middle --> The end is more and more grapefruit - there's just enough malty sweetness to be noticed, but the citrus hops are in-your-face bitter and give this beer a prolonged aftertaste.

M - Slightly light for a DIPA, but I'm not complaining. Carbonation is visible but understated when drinking.

D - For the style, it's very drinkable. A bomber went down almost too easily, and I'd crack another if I had it.

Overall, I really enjoyed this beer. It's my kind of double IPA for sure - enough malt to add some flavor, but easily dominated by hops in the end. Someone send me another of these, ASAP! :)

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

A: Very cloudy/hazy golden color. Not really any foam to speak of. Initially, lots of tiny bubbles. Especially with the sediment in the bottle, I could have mistaken it for one of my homebrews.

S: Tons of grapefruit, slight malt/caramel on the finish. Very slight hints of pine as well.

T: Wow, can you say grapefruit?! There is very intense grapefruit flavor here, much moreso than the nose would indicate. A nice bitterness and slight pineyness as well.

M: Very crisp and fairly light on the tongue. The initial carbonation wears off quickly.

D: Wonderful DIPA, goes down beautifully.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Had in taproom - Golden color with a finger of lasting head and lacing. My sniffer was off due to a cold, but taste was vibrant citrus and sweet malt. Very smooth feel. I really enjoyed this one and will seek again.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

I picked up a couple bottles of the Winter 2011 during a recent trip to Oregon. I have to admit I am not a huge IPA drinker, but I really enjoyed this one. Nice pour with about a two finger head, with a very nice hop smell. Taste was great with no after taste..

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

22oz bottle into Duvel tulip.

A: Pours a bright honey-citrus color with a finger width of white oily head that reduced into a thin film that left a ring of sticky lacing down the glass.
S: Smells strongly of pine and fresh tangerines that were just peeled. Hints of pineapple as well. Very delicious.
T: Very citrusy with strong flavors of orange and tangerine. Notes of pine needles, papaya, pineapple and grapefruit. Not particularly bitter but it's got a decent punch. Malt is shy in this one, probably due to the pilsner and rye malts they used. Finish has got a touch of hop spice and sugary sweetness to it.
M: More of a medium body than I was expecting. Not very viscous or oily at all, in a good way. Carbonation is soft and smooth. This beer goes down easily.
D: Extremely impressed by this one. I just recently got into Hair of the Dog and so far I have not been disappointed. I would definitely buy this again.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

Picked this up at the Sonoma Wine Exchange on a NorCal beer trip.

A- Mega foamy overflowing head. Hazy apricot color. All kinds of bits dancing around (hops?) with intense streamers bubbling off. Looks like a lab experiment or chemical reaction. This brew has a full head that won't budge.

S- Definite citrus with nectarine, peach and floral notes.

T- Follows through with citrus spiciness, and finishes with piney spices that linger.

M- With all those bubbles how can I not feel them dancing on my tongue.

D- Very enjoyable DIPA. I would drink this again & again.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a snifter.

A - Pours a hazy gold color with brown hues throughout. Big fat 3 finger head which hung around for quite some time. Decent lacing.

S - Citrusy grapefruit, some floral hop notes but also a good smell of a solid malt balance. This one promises greatness with the nose.

T - Hop greatness hits you first. Heavy taste of tree bark and leather in the front which give way to a very quick hint of fruity apple sweetness followed by a wonderful hop bitterness on the finish, but not so overwhelming as the a decent malt keeps this one balanced well.

M - Medium body with medium to high carbonation. Finsih is dry and crisp. Great mouthfeel.

D - Very drinkable, as usual I want this on tap, out of the bottle is stellar though.

7th review on BA
Bomber into proper pint glass.

A: Golden banana haze with 2+ finger nail head on gentle pour. Looks tasty - like a proper DIPA.

S: Awesome! Grassy hops with hint of lemon/citrus. Soothing...

T: Floral hops with well-balanced citrus flavor...hint of pine. Delightful and refreshing.

M: Crisp, yet smooth. Hops start to finish and full-bodied beer.

O: Refreshing and enjoyable! Well-balanced and smooth DIPA. Excellent DIPA that I'd love to return too on a regular basis - just don't have access to it.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

The bottle is marked as Spring 2009, so it aged about one year. Do not recall where I got it from. I had it for most of the time (so it has not been abused).

Golden in color. Slightly cloudy. Wonderful bright white head of small bubbles. Absolutely terrific aroma - piney, sticky hops - just as I would expect from DIPA. I believe this beer has mellowed out (goes to show that double IPAs should not be aged). The bite is not there. Hops mostly hit the nose and do not register much on the tongue. Still very pleasant sweet taste. It seems medium body. Very drinkable.

Enjoyable brew. I will seek out a fresher example.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

Bottle 2007 from freinds at the Dilly Deli.

Poured a hazy golden color with an average frothy white head that lasted with good lacing. Heavy complex citrus and resin hoppy aroma with a small alcohol tone. Medium body with a smooth slick texture. Heavy bitter flavor with a medium bittersweet and small alcohol bite finish of moderate duration.

This is a standout beer.

4.42/5  rDev +9.1%

Radiant amber-gold with a hint of Sunkist orange peel. The beer is full of miniscule flecks that could just as easily be hop dust as yeast. At least I hope so. Even though the polished ivory cap isn't as heavily creamy as it is on the best looking DIPAs, it's still an attractive crown. Fine squiggles of lace are thinner and more sudsy than I'd like, while still providing extensive glass coverage.

Once the deflation of the cap allows me to get a few good whiffs in, I can appreciate the hoppy splendor of the aroma. Pineapple, orange and white grapefruit greet my nose and impress the hell out it. The hop bill consists of Warrior, Tomahawk and Magnum. It's amazing how many brewers will talk to you and tell you what's in their beer.

Blue Dot isn't a big DIPA in terms of malt structure, but it sure is in terms of hoppy bitterness. In fact, given the absence of caramel malt (pale and rye only) and the less than viscous mouthfeel, it seems like more of a big IPA than a DIPA. That's okay, as long as it's good. And it definitely is that.

I love the spiciness of the rye malt since it gives the beer an added kick that sets it apart from most versions of the style. It doesn't taste anything like Hop Rod Rye, however, which for me is the ultimate rye malt DIPA. A little more pale malt might have turned it into a slightly bigger, slightly better beer, but there's no way to know for sure. I appreciate knowing that a Scottish yeast strain was used, even though I'm not sure how that impacts the flavor profile.

Those aggressive sounding hop varieties taste aggressive as well. Blue Dot stops short of being a tongue abuser, but then I'm only about halfway through the bomber. The fact that any number of DIPAs have it beat in terms of sheer hoppy bitterness doesn't change the fact that hopheads will find plenty to love and will find that their alpha acid itch is being scratched in a big way. White grapefruit pith has now taken the reins and is going to the whip.

Huge sheets of crusty lace haven't appeared on the pint glass, but I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be. As noted above, this isn't the fullest, most viscous DIPA in the stable. As it warms though, it firms up nicely and has clearly escaped IPA territory. With the increasingly buzzsaw hoppiness and the spiciness of the rye malt, too many bubbles would have been sensory overload. Good thing that it's gently carbonated.

My impression of Hair Of The Dog is that they brew original, occasionally offbeat, beer that doesn't always hit the mark. Blue Dot is probably about as close to conventional as they've ever ventured. It's a DIPA that has more in common with a big IPA than with an American barleywine; something that isn't the case often enough to suit me. I'm enjoying it immensely. The hop monkey that is forever on my back is becoming nicely satiated as well.

Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room