Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Blue Dot Double India Pale AleBlue Dot Double India Pale Ale

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Available in kegs year-round; rotating release in bottles, dated by 'Season' and 'Year' ('Spring 2009', 'Winter 2010', etc.)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2005

Reviews: 499 | Ratings: 1,031
1.92/5  rDev -52.5%

Summer 2013 Bottle. Almost no carbonation. Tasted almost like a honey flavored cider that was not fermented. Could not drink more than a couple of sips before I had to pour it out. Poured very hazy almost like a cider. It was overpoweringly sweet. Highly disappointing considering everything else I had from Hair of the Dog was great. Be very careful when buying a Summer 2013 bottle.

2.26/5  rDev -44.1%

This is only for the summer 2013 release---

Hair of the Dog is one of my favorite breweries of all time. Blue Dot is one of my favorite Double IPA's. That's why it pains me to write this.

The summer 2013 release, at least in Seattle stores, should not be purchased. I believe the batch is infected. It is very dark, cloudy, little to no carbonation, and extremely off balance. Double IPA's are typically acidic but this one tastes and smells a bit like a grapefruit mixed with a cloudy english cask cider.

This is my first ever pour out beer. I don't pour out beers, I just stop drinking them and hope one of my friends decides to finish it. Since I live in Seattle, I visit Portland often. Every time I visit Portland, I stop by HOTD. Quality Control should have picked this up. I don't know what happened.

This is only for the summer 2013 release---

2.43/5  rDev -39.9%

Current score based on my most recent tasting of Blue Dot.

2.35 D+
Review from notes. Drank soon after it was released. Summer 2011 bomber bought for $7 at Beaumont Market. Split with TulipSnifter into a pair of New Belgium globes.

A: Apricot puree with similar clarity. A solid pour yields almost a finger of loose soapy white head. Minimal spotty lacing seems subpar. 2/5

S: Lots of sweet citrus, tangerines, grapefruit, and a dose of pineapple signal the gratuitous amount of hops. Sugar cookies let me know the malt isn't going to be hiding too far in the back. 4/5

T: Fairly bitter and astringent up front, grapefruit pith in the middle, and heavy sweetness toward the end make this less than impressive. 2/5

M: Thick, chewy, and heavy with very low carbonation. Sticky finish makes this less than pleasant. 1.5/5

O: Possibly the worst batch I've had yet. Unfortunately the greatness of the Winter '11 batch seems hard to live up to. 2/5

3.9 B+
Sampled 5-4-2011. Spring 2011 bomber $7 at Whole Foods. Poured by parts into a Duvel tulip.

A: Identical to the Winter 2011 bottle. Perfection. 5/5

S: The aroma is not nearly as agressive as the previous batch. Garapefruit and pine still dominate but in a more muited expression. 3.5/5

T: Not as spectacular as the previous batch. More residual sweetness and a heavier dose of the rye shows up. The pine still dominates, but more tropical hops on the palate suggest a different type of hop bill (more simcoe?) It also reflects lower attenuation and a sweeter profile. The rye is spicier and more prominent here than in the last batch. Good, not great. 4/5

M: Full, oily, sticky, with lower carbonation than I remember previously. 3.5/5

O: Not as good as I remember. This IPA can be world class, but unfortunately it's not quite dialed in this time and the score suffers. I can't justify the exceptional grade but still say it's a "good" IPA. 4/5

4.68 A+
Sampled 1-24-2011. Split a Winter 2011 bomber with TulipSnifter. Review taken from notes.

A: Very hazy pale orange-gold. I love an IPA this light in color. Copious sheets of lacing appears top notch. Perfection is all I can say so far. 5/5

S: Bitter biting piney-grapefruit. This is going to be pretty agressive. I swear I smelled this immediately after hearing the *pfft* as I lifted the crown from the bottle. Pungent and wonderful, again perfection. 5/5

T: Flavors follow the nose. Grapefruit juice, pith, membrane, and rind all attack the taste buds. Pine cone sap kicks in for some added flair. The malt back bone is there just enough to deliver the hops to the senses. 4.5/5

M: Oily body with lively carbonation keep this refreshing and clean. 4/5

D: Could have easily grabbed for another one of these if one was available. I just wish every batch was this good... 5/5

3.4 B-
Sampled February 9, 2010 in Portland Oregon. I split a Fall 2009 bomber with my wife. Review is taken from notes.

This is a cloudy IPA at first look. Upon closer examination those chunks appear to be petal from the hops themselves. A finger of creamy white head sits atop and gives good lacing throughout.

Smells about right for an IPA. A little something extra comes trough. I wrote down peaches with a question mark because it was a little difficult to place it.

Taste is bitter with all the double IPA trimmings.

Good carbonation from the scrubbed my palate in between bites of a spicy Thai dish from a carry-out place. That was an excellent pairing and recommended!

Good drinkability, I downed my 11 ounces and wished I had more.

This was a good IPA but I wish I had more. I also wished I had a fresher batch. I didn't realize it was the fall 2009 batch until I got home. I will have to try this fresher when I am back out there. I've heard amazing things about this but walked away from it thinking it was merely a solid IPA. I will re-review when I try a fresher batch.

2.63/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Summer '13 batch.

A - An unexpected murky orange colour; brown towards the centre of the glass. A thin layer of white head formed.

S - An extremely muted nose with not much bitterness coming through at all and some lighter tropical fruit aromas with some caramel sweetness. Doesn't smell "off" but certainly doesn't smell like a 2 month old DIPA.

T - Some bitterness with a big dank/musky hop profile that is not fresh at all. Some light tropical fruit notes are present with some mango, papaya and pineapple notes that are present but extremely muted.

M - Medium body. Light carbonation. Not sticky or resinous at all.

O - This was extremely disappointing. My bottle did not seem to be as off as some of the recent reviews but it was defintiely not what the brewer intended and not what I expected. Hopefully I will have a chance to try a fresh bottle or to try it on tap in the future as this is one bad experience from one of my favourite breweries.

2.72/5  rDev -32.7%

Really somewhat disappointed with this beer. I had this beer for the first time at the Alvinne Festival in Belgium, March of this year (2012). The Blue Dot that being served on tap there was nothing less than outstanding....it was great! It was my first beer by HOTD beer and I instantly became a HUGE fan!!! I loved it!!!! The Blue Dot I had there was creamy yellow and had such a unique awesome hop taste. I had to get more of this and would go out of my way to get it in the future.

I opened a Spring 2012 bottle of this on June 16, 2012. It poured a brownish tan color...I immediately looked at it with suspicion..it just looked dull and muted. The smell and the taste were really not much better...muted is the word to describe every chracteristic of this beer. It was drinkable, but not really much more...extremely disappointed!!! Had some hop taste, but tasted nothing like what I had at the Alvinne fest. I seriously wonder if I got a bad bottle or something.

I made a recent trade and received two bottles of this. I hope the other bottle is not like this. This was bla....

2.74/5  rDev -32.2%

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company--Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale--Spring--2009 Release--22 oz. Bottle--7.00%--70 IBU's? (4.5 / 5.0) IPA--Light loose sediment. Thin mild lace whitish head. Cloudy bright orange gold color. Huge hop fruit ester flowery front. Lots of aroma hops. Crisp zesty mild sweet Pils light fruit ester citrus hop infused rich body. Mild citrus hop spice refreshing hoppy end. Sampled 6/23/2009. $8.49 Each.

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company--Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale Winter 2010 Release--22 oz. Bottle--7.00%--100+ IBU's? (4.65 / 5.0) IPA--Thin white head. Hazy light sediment bright lemon gold color. Huge floral Cascade hop pine wheat grass grapefruit front. Crisp hop resin infused tangy pils rye wheat earthy piney mild sweet hop fruit ester body. Cloying crusty earthy hop resin spice end.HOPS! Sampled 2/7/2010. $8.49 Each.

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale Summer 2010 Release 22 oz. Bottle. 7.00% ABV. 70 IBU's? (4.25 / 5.0) Thick pour. Thin lace thin white head. Cloudy bright dark orange color. Rich floral hop aromatic citrus mild fruit rye ester front. Creamy sweet smooth mildly fruity malty orange juice body. Smooth refreshing easy hop spice end. Light sediment. Belgian wheat rye hint? Stored dark and cool it aged well and was smoother and less fruity than 2011 Winter release. Sampled 1/31/2011. Purchased for $8.49 @ The Ballard Market, Seattle on 9/4/2010.

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company--Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale Winter 2011 22 oz. Bottle. 7.00% ABV. 70 IBU's? (3.5 / 5.0) Thin lace thin white head. Cloudy thick tiny bubble filled bright yellow gold orange juice color. Very floral citrus hop hint of wheat ester front. Light sediment. Creamy sweet rich wheat citrus pine fruit effervescent mild hop resin body. Refreshing clean mild hop spice balanced crisp citrus end. Aromatic, estery and missing caramel malt base. Too fruity for me. Seems as if it would age poorly. Sampled 1/30/2011. Purchased for $8.49 @ The Ballard Market, Seattle on 1/30/2011. Thanks Roger!

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale Spring 2011 22 oz. Bottle. 7.00% 80 IBU's. (2.75 / 5.0) Mild lace light white thin lines of head. Cloudy fizzy lemon gold color. Fruity floral hop front with lots residual yeast rye ester notes. Mild sweet fruity estery mild hop resin note citrus hints very rye body. Clean mild bitter hop spice refreshing clean citrus end. Way too fruity. Sampled 5/14/2011. Purchased for $8.49 at The Ballard Market, Seattle on 5/3/2011.

2.75/5  rDev -31.9%

Summer 2011
poured into a Duvel glass

a — golden and extremely cloudy.

s — piney, citrus, hints of tropical fruit, a bit grassy but not in a good way

t — bitter, phenolic grassy notes (i.e. oxidized hops), piney, slight sweetness from the malt, finishes dry

m — medium-light body with light carbonation

o — Best drunk fresh. I had a smaller taster on tap at the brewery where the hops where more prominent providing a nice tropical note to the piney hops. Here they've all but died out and transformed into a plastic/grassy phenolic note.

2.81/5  rDev -30.4%

I would think if you have a blue dot on your body, then maybe you should see a doctor. Pours a hazy light orange color with golden hue. A soft white head but did quickly die to the edge of the glass. Eventually dissipated completely. Not much lacing as well.

The nose is light overall with some notes of hops but really light for a IIPA. To start the malt is actually the more dominate flavor. Some grainy and husky notes mostly Some earthy hop notes with more of an English feel. The hops are really muttled. There are some off yeasty notes that don't help as well. Some drainage and autolysis notes.

The taste is better than the nose indicates but still missing the IIPA appeal. The hops are more in balance with the malt. There is a earthy and citrus orange flavor that has a weird blend. Some almost herbal notes as well. The malt has a sweeter taste with a more base malt flavor. Some light bready and kettle caramel notes. Some definite off yeast notes. Some butyric/drainage flavors and a bit of esters but not over the top.

The body is moderate to full. A bit sweet for style. Overall a disappointment. Limited hop nose and flavor, some off brewing notes.

2.88/5  rDev -28.7%

22oz bomber which states "Spring 2011" on the label. This was on my wants awhile back, so when I saw it in the cooler this afternoon I grabbed a bottle. Poured into my DFH snifter.

Blue Dot pours a murky orange to amber color with a smallish head of white foam. The head recedes quickly leaving a thin white coaster and a ring around the outside of the glass. There is a layer of yeasty stuff remaining in the bottom of the bottle. Methinks this is where the murkiness comes from. The aroma is faint floral hops and pale malt. I have to stick my nose into the glass to to pkick up a bit of pine. Taste is subdued floral hops and bitter pine which overwhelms the light malt backbone. Finish is dry with a lingering bitterness. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with a somewhat low level of carbonation. Overall I find this to be a "meh" take on a west coast IPA, certainly nowhere near DIPA territory. There's nothing I find overly offensive, but there isn't anything noteworthy going on here either. With so many other great offerings on the shelf, which are available at a lower price point, I won't be picking this one up again.

2.93/5  rDev -27.5%

Hair of the Dog in a bomber?! Woah. Summer '11 bottle shared by cbutova.

Poured super hazy light brown/grapefruit juice color. Small white head retains as a decent cap, I got the dregs with ugly green chunks at the bottom of the glass.

Scent is almost all malt, caramel and some honey-like sweetness. Very slight hints of earthy hops, but otherwise this seems nearly hop free.

Hop flavor comes out more in the taste. Herbal, grapefruit, and some peach/slight tropical notes. Barely any bitterness, and very malty overall.

Not a bad mouthfeel, lowish carbonation as expected from HotD. Is this a Double IPA?

I'm confused by this beer...7% Double IPA? Having this after Alpine Nelson didn't do it any favors either... It's hard to tell whether this was the brewers weird take on the style, if the few months of age really brought it down, etc.

2.99/5  rDev -26%

Tasted with Fisherman34 during MB DIPA Throwdown 07. A rare treat that Fisherman34 was way too generous to share for the throwdown. High expectations going into this one. Poured a beautiful classic lPA hue with a fluffy cloud white head. Smell- hmm- somethings up here. Not quite right. Taste- confirms the suspected. Some sort of rogue yeast had snuck into this thing. Sour wild yeast tasting on initial sip that gives way to a decent malty DIPA. What a shame- this beer had serious potential. Definitely infected by something. Not being a beer snob by any means I still have it a chance for what it was and actually didn't mind it. Just way too weird due the infection. Jolly Pumpkin like on the start and normal DIPA on the finish. Can't say that every day. No matter- huge thanks to Kris for cracking this one.

Pains me to write this.
Blue Dot is my favorite IPA/DIPA. Or it was, we will see. I am military, so the only time I can drink this is when I come home to visit, and I make it a priority to buy a few. Winter 2014 release.

Appearance 3/5: Same old milky orange color, but super hazy, ok well..moving on, maybe i just dont remember...also, little to no head. oh boy.

Smell 4.25/5: Yum. Malt backbone with orange, tangerine, pineapple.

Taste: 2.50/5. The beer i remember is there, somewhere. But not it's bordering overly sweet for this style. Huge citrus notes and a big malt base, it was a balanced beer up until now.

Mouthfeel 2/5. Undercarbonated.

Overall 3/5: I am giving this a generous 3 only because of the beer that I know it's supposed to be, and am hoping it's just an error in production.

Bottle.<br> Pours a hazy orangey gold with a long lasting, white head floating on top. Nose is hops, floral and piney. Bitterness lasts throughout this brew, with some grapefruit zest, too much so in my opinion. This was pretty much a spineless beer, with the malt backdrop of 2IPA MIA. Thought this was going to be better than it was. Thanks to weefisheads for the bottle.

3.03/5  rDev -25%

Tasted and reviewed again February 2011 - Winter 2011 bottling. Former high rating from 2009 tasting must be revised. Review of Winter 2011 follows:

Tried again Winter 2011 Batch. Pours a hazy orange amber with medium size white head.

Pine, desert cactus nose, none of the brighter fruity character or pineapple character/citrus character noted in earlier batches.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and balanced.

Flavors are all dull pine with a pine bitter "dull" character. No bright character at all.

Big simple pine bitter finish.

Newest batch a bit of a disappointment here, especially when compared with earlier bottlings.

* * *

Review from 2009: Pours an orange amber with a thick white head.

Bright, lightly sweet citrus, grapefruit and pine nose; layers and nice.

Mouthfeel is full and bright with just the right amount of carbonation.

Flavors follow nose. Nice hoppy IPA. Bright, clean and bold citrus, grapefruit flavors with a light hint of oranges and then goes quickly to a strong bitter grapefruit and pine resin.

Medium pine/grapefruit finish.

A very nice drink.

3.03/5  rDev -25%

1 pint 6 fl oz brown glass bottle with standard pressure cap served into a nonical Guinness pint glass in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given the current ratings on the site. I know I've had this brewery before; I just can't remember how I felt about what I had.

Winter 2012. 7%. Acquired at Wally's Wine in Westwood, California.

Served refrigerator cold and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated. The sediment was allowed to remain in the bottle until the final pour, as per the label's instructions.

A: Pours a half finger head of standard white colour, slight cream, nice thickness, and Decent retention for the ABV. Colour is a nontransparent orange-yellow. Looks more like a hefeweizen than an IPA, which is notable but not impressive. Not a unique look, but certainly an appealing one. No yeast particles are visible.

Sm: Orange fruit esters, fresh lemon peel, rye grain, caramelized malt, and hop bitterness masked by something I can't place that bothers me. It feels like an artificial masking. I hope this isn't the case in the flavour. If I had to guess the hop varietals, I'd go with citra and amarillo. A pretty strong aroma - I could smell it as I poured it even with me broken nose.

T: Orange esters and lemon peel are there alongside somewhat stale hop notes that sit unevenly on the poorly executed rye foundation. The floral/bitterness balance of the hops is awkward at best, and never feels fresh or masked. The estery tones throughout are distracting and bothersome. Ripe pineapple isn't a pleasant addition, nor is grapefruit* (which is far too dominant). Decently balanced, and built alright. Too bitter, especially on the climax. It may be one of the more experimental double IPAs I've tried, but it isn't one of the best. Not refreshing. The taste is pretty strong. Not a subtle beer, but complex enough I suppose. Not quite full-bodied.

*I despise grapefruit, but I'm respectful of balance.

No yeast comes through. Some alcohol is detectable, but it's by no means boozy. It's only 7% however, and seems to require more to mask its ABV than other beers in the style with 10-11% ABV.

The rye malt in particularly seems to be the main problem with this beer. Why they chose that grain is beyond me. It sets the beer apart from other IPAs, but makes its quality lesser.

Mf: Smooth and wet, suiting the flavours of the body generally. A touch too thick. A bit sharp, suggesting overcarbonation. Some crispness on the finish is a lovely touch. The mouthfeel by no means feels tailored specifically to the flavours. There is nothing unique here.

Dr: Drinkable but problematic. It's intriguing, but the quality just isn't there, largely because of the untamed bittering hops, poor choice of foundation (rye), and lack of subtlety. The alcohol is fairly well hidden. Fans of the style may defend it, but I'd never recommend it to friends.

Glassware: It drank alright out of me nonical Guinness pint glass, but in future I'd use a snifter or tulip.

Food Pairing: Wouldn't pair well with food in my opinion. Even though IPAs usually pair well with spicy food, this one in particular isn't refreshing or quenching enough to do so.

Aging: This seems a rather poor candidate for aging as its flavour depends largely on hops and the ABV is a mere 7%. The sediment in the bottom of the bottle is a good sign, but if you're aging double IPAs you'd better know a lot more about cellaring than what I can suggest here.

I debated between a C and a C+, but ultimately settled on a C+.

3.06/5  rDev -24.3%

Enjoyed on 5/8/11. Reviewed from notes

A: Pours hazy straw look. Very odd look for a DIPA

S: Lots of citrus on the nose. Grapefruit, orange and banana.

T: Lots of light citrus flavors. Lemon, orange, and subtle grapefruit. Almost a sour funk but I know its not sour/tart but its the closest I can come to describe it.

M: Not a lot of carbonation. Light feeling on the tongue but its the grainy feeling that takes away from this one for me.

O: Its just a little too out there for my taste buds. Almost like it should be a Belgian DIPA or something. A little too much of a stretch for my preference.

3.06/5  rDev -24.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Served from 22oz bottle, 2014 Fall Release

A — Pours a deep coppery orange color with a tall and puffy light cream colored head.

S — Smells largely malty and rich, light peppery and bitter hop note.

T — Very malty and almost yeasty overall, very rich and sweet, minimal hop character.

M — Medium bodied, a bit heavy overall.

O — Disappointing here, good if you want a big malt bomb with some hop semblance, but I think HotD should stick to Fred/Adam.

3.07/5  rDev -24%

A: light copper color with minimal head that doesnt hold at all

S: Caramel is pretty prominant. some light pine and citrus notes too

T: mostly caramel and some biscuit. very like hop notes with some subtle pine note

M: somewhat thin and not very creamy

D: it goes down pretty easy, but overall this is a bit of a disappointment

3.09/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber (spring 07 - fresh & local) into an imperial pint glass, the Blue Dot is a hazy burnt gold, with a tight, medium sized egg shell head, that subsides fairly quickly to a creamy collar and skim, leaving moderate, bubbly lace.

The aroma is really nice, bright, pungent hops are very vibrant, grapefruit and sweeter citrus orange, pine and a sweet sugary backdrop.

The taste is not nearly as sweet and fresh, in great contrast to the aroma. This discrepancy leads me to believe the I was smelling simacoe, a hop whose aroma I love, but has a bland, flat taste. There is plenty of hop bitterness here, but where did all that flavor go?? Mostly, it taste like oragina...I've had this a few times, bottles and draft, hoping I'll appreciate it, but it's forever known to me as the orange juice IPA! Aside from a bit of sweet malt, this is dry and minerally, and closer to saison in that regard. There is also a clean, smooth yet distinct, vodka like taste of alcohol. I'm not sure what taste the rye is contributing - I've had rye brews I've loved, and some that were terrible, so I haven't yet dialed that in, but I generally take it to add a peppery spice, that I don't really grab here. As with most ingredients, I'll have to try it in a homebrew to really figure it out. All and all, the taste is pretty bland for a DIPA, other then the bitter dry finish. In contrast to the aroma, a let down.

The mouthfeel is ok, medium bodied and not syurpy, but a little flat on the tongue.

This is not to drinkable. The taste is pretty bland and inoffensive, save for the overdone soapy orange flavor that I disklike, not that yummy, and a tad heavy. I know this beer has a lot of fans, but I'm ultimately disappointed, which has been my experience with most of the HOTD beers...other then Adam, which is fantastic. Fred I'm still on the fence with. Rose sucked. Blue Dot is sub par.

3.1/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

22oz bomber poured to a tulip.

A- Poured a cloudy, very unfiltered sandy colored yellow. Murky, swampy, ugly. Plenty of sediment with no head and very light carbonation.

S- Sour citrus notes, tart apples, oranges and strong pulp aromas. A bit on the pungent side but overall the smells are light. Nose has a similarity to frozen fruit concentrate.

T- Nice oily malt hit upfront with a citrus punch. Sour grapefruits, rinds, and an aggressive hop bitterness are the foremost flavors. Lemony citrus hops dominant the hop flavor profile. Finishes with a sharp earthy pine bitterness that lingers. Hops are somewhat of a palate crusher on this one. Rough around the edges. At times, this beer tasted like a lemon meringue pie.

MF- Heavy, aggressive, and syrupy. Hop bite tingles the tongue with an interestingly aggressive texture throughout. Very fresh plant-like flavors that give an impression of biting directing into a fresh hop. Sharp, soapy feel with an oily character to round it out.

O- Lots of sediment created an unflattering look, that wasn't prevent even with a very slow pour. I kept thinking this beer was leathery like an old baseball glove. The lack of carbonation was a disappointment. Overall a loose IPA (not nearly as crisp as most Pacific Northwest IPAs) that yielded typical HotD intensity. They make better beers.

3.1/5  rDev -23.3%

Pours a hazy yellowish orange color with a two finger frothy white head that slowly settles into a lasting ring. Streaks of lace left behind.

Very earthy aroma with a strong pine needle character along with some floral and citrus hop notes. Malt backbone with hints of caramel and biscuit.

Full bodied with a blast of extremely dry and bitter hops that dominate the flavor. Strong tongue-coating pine flavor that overpowers the other notes that te nose hinted at. Only the faintest of sweet citrus flavor and a subtle malt backbone with hints of toffee and caramel. Kind of abrasive and one dimensional.

3.12/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

After having some great HotD beers in the past, I was excited to see this on the shelf. What a huge let down. First bottle was lousy, but got a second today in the off chance that the other was an anomaly.

Pours a muddy watered down diarrhea color with virtually no head.
Smell is a weak malty floral mix.
Tastes average at best. First bottle reminded me of a homebrew Flower Power clone. The second bottle was just blah.
Nearly flat.
I expected so much more from this, especially after spending nearly $9 for the bomber. I will continue to grab what I can from HotD, but would not ever recommend this beer based on my experience.

3.15/5  rDev -22%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a tulip-ish glass. 12/22/08.

Pours a bright golden orange color with about 4 fingers of soft beige head. The head receded very slowly leaving some nice lacing. Aroma is full of herbal and grassy hops, light citrus, orange, tangerine, and grapefruit.

Taste starts with some sweet caramel malt and orange peel. That's followed by a rush of herbal and grassy hops, lemon, and grapefruit. At first I noticed an odd taste lingering within, and couldn't quite place what it was. After reading the bottle I fond out it was the rye. It seems really out of place in this beer. It just gives it an abrasive-cardboard like taste.

The feel is slick, medium-bodied with plenty of carbonation. Not sticky at all. Drinkability is alright. The odd rye flavor really drops it for me.

Overall, not bad but not great either. The rye just doesn't do it for me.

3.18/5  rDev -21.3%

Pours a clear but darker than usual IPA color. More amber-ish. No head at all and no lacing.

Smells maltier than the IPA's I'm use to. Like a 90min. Some hop smell

Taste is alright. Not bad just too malty for an IPA. It needs more hoppyness if it is going to be this malty. It's like a 90 min but with less hop character.

Mouthfeel is too low on carbonation. It doesn't match well.

I don't tthink I'll be buying this one again. It was ok and it wasn't a drain pour but it's just not worth the money

3.18/5  rDev -21.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.5

This is the Fall 2014 batch poured from the 22 oz bottle. Color is a clear yellow amber. Surprisingly, the foam dissipates quite rapidly in the Chimay chalice leaving a few wisps of foam. Some carbonation bursting in the mouth, however.

The aroma is quite nice, with the mango and pine notes. The flavor is so raw. I would have believed 11% ABV, rather than the 7% claimed. Woody and raspy bitterness. Dark with bitterness.

This is certainly interesting to taste, since it's have such a long history, but there are so many better IPAs. I wouldn't call this a Double, it's more of a really hot IPA. Not very drinkable, though it may be bait to the hop obsessive.

Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room