Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Blue Dot Double India Pale AleBlue Dot Double India Pale Ale

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Available in kegs year-round; rotating release in bottles, dated by 'Season' and 'Year' ('Spring 2009', 'Winter 2010', etc.)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2005

Reviews: 498 | Ratings: 1,029
3.62/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Hair of the Dog 3 dot DIPA in a 22 oz bomber.
Hazy pale light amber; like an unfiltered apple cider. Good, lasting white head.
Mild for style; drinks Iike an unfiltered IPA.
Not clean. Mainly herbal hops. Some bready malts too.
O: OK but unrefined and amateurish.

3.97/5  rDev -1.7%

Thanks to nate321 for this bottle, which showed up this week amidst a bunch of other stuff I've long wanted to try. 22 oz. bomber split with my wife.

The pour is pure dehydrated urine sample. Full stop. Carbonation level is low, which is almost an expectation when I pop the top on a HotD bottle. The nose is full of lovely floral & tropical notes. Really nice.

Blue Dot IIPA is like a guy in a tux walking out of a bog: you don't expect something this routine from a place like HotD. Flower stamen is very strong & suffuses the senses, backed by dashes of lemon & citrus before a bracing shot of bitterness arrives mid-palate. More roses & lilacs on the finish. Sticky & thick for an IPA, but plenty easy to slug.

Simple but delicious, for my money this is having a boutannaire held to your face for half an hour. Very good beer.

3.91/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured into a tulip

A- pours a hazy golden yellow color with a small foamy white head, decent retention

S- grassy, pineapple and grapefruit, spicy rye

T- lots of tropical notes, pineapple, guava, orange with a good sweet malty backbone, some tea like bitterness with a peppery kick, dry finish with lots of pineapple, candy sugar

M- medium body and carbonation leads to a foamy mouthfeel and a crisp finish

O- nice tropical notes and a easily drinkable DIPA

4.34/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle into Jester King stem. Felt like getting fancy for this one since I can't easily get it!

Pours a dark lemon yellow with light orange core. The beer is hazy and has a minimal head for a standard IPA.

Aroma is deep citrus and pine hops, malty sweetness, grassy, spicy (from the rye), and also quite dank. Still has a pretty unique smell considering since the last time I had this I've had a plethora of other IPA's.

Taste is super spicy, rye malt is certainly up front with peppery, lemon zest hop notes lending even more spice. Mid palate you get a juicier malty core but only lasts a second as the bitterness takes over and late palate you get those pine and fruitier citrus fruit notes with tangerine and almost an orange flavored seltzer like nuance. I love IPA's with rye, and this one really has tons of it.

Mouthfeel has the impression of being medium bodied but I think the spicy character of the beer adds some fullness. Probably really more on the heavy side of light, carbonation is on the low end for IPA's and the beer finishes pretty darn dry.

The first time I had Blue Dot I was highly impressed and enjoyed it immensely. Then literally the next day I had Pure Hoppiness and the day after that Nelson. Nelson became my favorite IPA and to this day is still one of my favorites. Point is, I held Blue Dot on a high pedestal and only marginally below the Alpines. Now that I've revisited It I can say it's still magnificent, but not quite at Nelson's level. But I still find this better than any Stone, Lagunitas, or possibly even Green Flash IPA I've had. Something about small batch brew that maintains a sense of artisanal value, something you can almost taste. Glad to have landed another one of these.

4.31/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

spring 2014

a - pale hazy yellow, thin quick-dissipating head

s - earthy, tropical fruits, sweetness, slightly piny, tart

t - hops with staying power. passionfruit, pine, grapefruit, oranges on the finish, sweet malts, some subtle tartness/funkiness of a light sour. hops stick around between swigs.

m - resinous at sip but clean finish. fairly bitter. carbonated just enough, super refreshing

o - very drinkable and really well-balanced. mouthfeel matches the taste so well, makes this beer near perfect. held up really well for a bit later in the season.

4.17/5  rDev +3.2%

22 oz bottle. Pours hazy yellow orange with a medium white creamy head that goes to a thin film and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet grapefruit and dank resiny hops.

The flavor is sweet fruity malts with lots of dank resiny piney hops. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied with low carbonation.

Overall, a solid DIPA. Right up my alley with hops and balance. Slightly too harsh and dank/catty/resiny.

3.77/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is kind of like the Kate Upton of beers for Raul: it has curves, it's voluptuous, it has all the good things that a player would look for... but if the main man isn't into blondes, he's not into blondes. And this style of "IPA" to Raul ain't his thang. It's more like an IPL, but Raul will move on.

Again, the sucker is clean, smooth, well balanced... but that pale malt... no mami!

A good brew, but not Raul's style.

3.82/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I heard there is batch to batch variation on this beer and the Winter 2013 was a dud so here's the new Spring 2014 batch. Cheers to Carl Sagan and we are off.

Pours incredibly cloudy, pale yellowy peach in coloration. The pour barely nets a head, a half finger of loose white bubbles with barely any retention. Sudsy lacing left on the glass.

The malt is clean and bready with a spicy kick of sharp rye. It works well with the uplifting yellow citrus and rising bright spicy pine and herbs.

Clean pilsner malt with a slight white bready and caramel sweetness to it. The spicy rye flares up the piney hop flavors and the backing of orange citrus. Nuances of vinous fruit and earthy herbs in the finish. Alcohol is really felt despite the label boasting a paltry sum of 7%. Medium bitterness and lingering pine and rye.

Heavy yeast and barely adequate carbonation don't make for a beer you can pound down. Alcohol rears its ugly head constantly , at least this has a scrubbing dryness and bitterness isn't overly done.

A good IPA that has been around the block, the rye malt is in perfect harmony with the abrasive and piney Northwest hop profile. Had Hair of the Dog seen higher distribution I'm sure there would've been much more hype to this beer.

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Orange. Hazy. Thin head. No lacing.
S: Sweet. Citrus. Grapefruit.
T: Well balanced. Hops, malts and alcohol pair well with each other. Citrus. Grapefruit.
M: medium-low carbonation. Medium body.
O: Very drinkable imperial IPA. Not in-your-face on any level. Will buy again.

Pains me to write this.
Blue Dot is my favorite IPA/DIPA. Or it was, we will see. I am military, so the only time I can drink this is when I come home to visit, and I make it a priority to buy a few. Winter 2014 release.

Appearance 3/5: Same old milky orange color, but super hazy, ok well..moving on, maybe i just dont remember...also, little to no head. oh boy.

Smell 4.25/5: Yum. Malt backbone with orange, tangerine, pineapple.

Taste: 2.50/5. The beer i remember is there, somewhere. But not it's bordering overly sweet for this style. Huge citrus notes and a big malt base, it was a balanced beer up until now.

Mouthfeel 2/5. Undercarbonated.

Overall 3/5: I am giving this a generous 3 only because of the beer that I know it's supposed to be, and am hoping it's just an error in production.

4.64/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance- Pours evenly into a brisk, brownish amber color.

Smell - This beer smells truly amazing. A brisky, piney floral hoppy aroma. The definition of what an IPA should smell like. It tastes great, but it smells even better!

Taste - Orange and lemon piney hop goodness. Very floral and fruitish for an IPA. Great light flavor, yet intensely hoppy! An outstanding IPA flavor!

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a minimal carbonation.

Drinkability - If you love hoppy IPAs, you will enjoy this beer! Outstanding, floral hop flavors.

Overall - An outstanding, balanced DIPA. Highly recommended, especially if you can find it on tap or for less than $7ish for a bottle.

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Winter 2014 batch

Aroma - Fresh citrus, pine, peach, pineapple, grass, white wine

Appearance - Cloudy pale/golden amber, good head and retention.

Flavor - Floral, honey, grapefruit and pine notes. Very smooth, not bitter at all.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, pretty full body, velvety, creamy

Overall - my first time with this beer. I really like it. It's unique, floral, honey-sweet but balanced with pineapple/peach/pine. I Don't consider a 7% IPA to be a double. This is a very good, balanced and unique IPA (not a double)

3.25/5  rDev -19.6%

wow! super hazy, honey-colored. smells super sweet, a bit floral and a bit honey.... cant get over how hazy and thick it is.... or how much like honey this smells like.... man! thios smells just like honey... am I the only one to get the honey out of this????
taste is TOTALLY HONEY. can this be right? it is NOT a typical DIPA. lots of hop, but honey is DOMINANT. everybody is talking citrus and hop bitterness but i'm getting total honey. did I get an infected batch, maybe? cant drain-pour it.... at least until I know for sure it's bad.... but no one is reporting what i'm tasting.... not hop bitterness. in fact, it reminds me of the PETRUS sample pack which was all honey-like also because it went bad? and no one else is reporting the haziness..
it was okay. maybe I got a bad bottle or one that was left out. I bought it at Total Wine Huntington Beach. who knows? it was okay but not anywhere like a DIPA I am accustomed to. a case for a best buy date, maybe? listen up Hair of the Dog!!!! if it tastes funky, how can we know it's supposed to taste like this? cuz this AINT no DIPA....

3.68/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance- Pours up an okay amount of head which has some retention. The head is a pure, cotton white while the body is a muddy dark beige/brown with notes of dark khaki which appears as lighter but still muddy khaki when held up to the light. Considerable lacing has been left behind.

Nose- Very subtle to the point of being non-existent. Some light citrus, some pine and resin. Swirling doesn't do much to add to a pretty boring profile- maybe a little peach, a little cherry.

Taste- Starts off with some citrus- orange and lemon which quickly transition to their subsequent peels. Good amount of grapefruit alongside pine and resin. Some matchstick. At the moment, it seems like a pretty average IPA. Even has a little bit of yeastiness to it. This is not surprising given the appearance. As it opens up, it shows a little bit more fruit with touches of peach coming through. The bitterness has a bit more presence than I would like but isn't too much of detraction. Some hints of tropical fruits and some spice on the finish. Above average to good while being just above average for an IPA.

Mouthfeel- Between light and medium bodied with an appropriate amount of carbonation.

Drinkability- Pretty drinkable but this would be a little more suitable for a hophead. Probably wouldn't pay the 7 bucks for a bomber. 4.50 for a 12 oz pour is okay.

Overall- Above average to good, mostly good. The fruit ester and bittering hops do balance each other pretty well. Definitely worth a try but hear that it can be a crap shoot from the bottle. A sediment issue, I believe, which is quite believable from this beer's appearance.

4.39/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Bomber sent from Oregon by my bro-in-law. Served chilled into a tulip glass.

Blue Dot is a very hazy pale yellow color. The head is thin and short lived but leaves some lacing on the glass.

Aroma is very hoppy with great grapefruit notes.

Flavor is very unique and enjoyable. It has citrus like grapefruit and lemon but also spice, grass, and pepper. It's nicely balanced for a big IPA never feeling overly bitter.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated.

Overall an excellent and unusual IPA that redefines the style just when I thought I had it all figured out.

3.44/5  rDev -14.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Summer 2013 batch, poured into a tulip glass.

Aroma - Strong citrus and piney smells, a hint of tropical fruit/pineapple.

Appearance - Very cloudy, low clarity (almost opaque) and much darker orangey-brown than I remember it being. Head is white and short-lived.

Flavor - Immediate citrus-rind bitterness followed by a light caramel malt flavor. Finishes with grapefruit and pine notes. More than a hint of astringency.

Mouthfeel - A bit fuzzy/chunky, actually. The carbonation is nice, but the gritty texture is kind of off-putting.

Overall Impression - I usually love Blue Dot a lot more than this. The mouthfeel made it less refreshing than usual, and the astringency was only slightly unpleasant. The hop profile is great, the citrus/grapefruit/pine thing really lingers on the palate.

2.63/5  rDev -34.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Summer '13 batch.

A - An unexpected murky orange colour; brown towards the centre of the glass. A thin layer of white head formed.

S - An extremely muted nose with not much bitterness coming through at all and some lighter tropical fruit aromas with some caramel sweetness. Doesn't smell "off" but certainly doesn't smell like a 2 month old DIPA.

T - Some bitterness with a big dank/musky hop profile that is not fresh at all. Some light tropical fruit notes are present with some mango, papaya and pineapple notes that are present but extremely muted.

M - Medium body. Light carbonation. Not sticky or resinous at all.

O - This was extremely disappointing. My bottle did not seem to be as off as some of the recent reviews but it was defintiely not what the brewer intended and not what I expected. Hopefully I will have a chance to try a fresh bottle or to try it on tap in the future as this is one bad experience from one of my favourite breweries.

1.92/5  rDev -52.5%

Summer 2013 Bottle. Almost no carbonation. Tasted almost like a honey flavored cider that was not fermented. Could not drink more than a couple of sips before I had to pour it out. Poured very hazy almost like a cider. It was overpoweringly sweet. Highly disappointing considering everything else I had from Hair of the Dog was great. Be very careful when buying a Summer 2013 bottle.

2.26/5  rDev -44.1%

This is only for the summer 2013 release---

Hair of the Dog is one of my favorite breweries of all time. Blue Dot is one of my favorite Double IPA's. That's why it pains me to write this.

The summer 2013 release, at least in Seattle stores, should not be purchased. I believe the batch is infected. It is very dark, cloudy, little to no carbonation, and extremely off balance. Double IPA's are typically acidic but this one tastes and smells a bit like a grapefruit mixed with a cloudy english cask cider.

This is my first ever pour out beer. I don't pour out beers, I just stop drinking them and hope one of my friends decides to finish it. Since I live in Seattle, I visit Portland often. Every time I visit Portland, I stop by HOTD. Quality Control should have picked this up. I don't know what happened.

This is only for the summer 2013 release---

3.47/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Summer 2013. Pours a hazy brown with minimal head and no lacing to speak of. Looks like unfiltered apple cider. I wonder if it's past it's prime. Earthy, malty aroma gives way to subdued citrus and pine resin. Not the hop bomb one would expect. Bitterness does hit the tongue first, it gives way to a biscuity malt. It has a medium body with very little carbonation. Overall, I'm not entirely sure I'm reviewing this beer at its freshest, I've seen some photos and read some descriptions indicating a bright amber color with vibrant carbonation. I'll give it another shot when the Fall 2013 version comes out.

3.12/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

After having some great HotD beers in the past, I was excited to see this on the shelf. What a huge let down. First bottle was lousy, but got a second today in the off chance that the other was an anomaly.

Pours a muddy watered down diarrhea color with virtually no head.
Smell is a weak malty floral mix.
Tastes average at best. First bottle reminded me of a homebrew Flower Power clone. The second bottle was just blah.
Nearly flat.
I expected so much more from this, especially after spending nearly $9 for the bomber. I will continue to grab what I can from HotD, but would not ever recommend this beer based on my experience.

4.16/5  rDev +3%

A: Not what I was expecting, looks like orange juice, no head or lacing left at all but that was expected due to slow pour instructions on the bottle

S: It smells amazing!! Nice pineapple, orange, and mango mixture, and some bread malts come through right after the citrus, just hint of rye as well, very well balanced aroma given off with this brew, easily one of the best smelling beers ever

T: Very similar to the smell, but it is much lighter compared to it, the smell you can notice different aromas coming in throughout, but in the taste it all seems to be mashed together, notice the pineapple, orange, mango, and malts all at one time it seems then finishes dry with a little hint of rye, the taste is still good, but it would be so much better if it wasn't all mashed together

M: Very light and crisp, but I think it needs a little more carbonation to awaken everything in the beer

O: Definitely a solid DIPA, Definitely don't go out of the way for this one, but if you like trying new brews I would recommend trying this if you find it in your bottle shop

4.09/5  rDev +1.2%

This is one of those bottles I pick up on a recent trip south of the border, it is time to consume this guy before it sits too long.
Painted glass bottles are always nice.
Pours slightly cloudy, golden yellow color, thin cream colored head. Good retention of foam, but minimal lace. Lots of hops smells, floral and herbal, some citrus.
Lots of hop flavors, including grapefruit citrus, pineapple. Good solid malt base.
Fairly full-body, smooth in the mouth, then some hop resin sticks in the aftertaste.
There is some alcohol warmth, but not too hot.
A solid and enjoyable DIPA , not so bitter that it burns up your taste buds, complex yet very smooth and drinkable.

3.97/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Good beer, very cloudy golden color in glass with lace all the way. Refreshing smell of hoppy flowery scent, along with a slight hint of citrus. Taste was similar to the smell although more malty yeasty tasting from the cloudiness, not my favorite while there but still good.

Had on tap in a flight sampler.

4.65/5  rDev +15.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is from my tasting notes about two years ago.

Pours a hazy golden color with a thick aromatic head that dissipates quickly and leaves an ample lacing on the glass.

Big aroma with pine and citrus notes, very nice.

The flavor and mouth feel are fantastic. Very balanced, rich and full bodied floral-resin hop bouquet, really quite wonderful. A nice citrus-pine bite to start things off and then a smooth almost creamy balance to the mid palate and long finish.

This is a great West Coast style IPA.

Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room