Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Blue Dot Double India Pale AleBlue Dot Double India Pale Ale

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Available in kegs year-round; rotating release in bottles, dated by 'Season' and 'Year' ('Spring 2009', 'Winter 2010', etc.)

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-14-2005

Reviews: 499 | Ratings: 1,035
4.34/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I really like this beer. I find that all too often, double IPA brewers seem to just shovel in the hops without much regard to drinkability. There are choices one can make that will yield better overall smoothness of character while still delivering a big hoppy hit. Blue Dot is right on the money with its even malty body, big hoppy aroma, and grapefruity-piney hop flavor. This is exactly the sort of hop profile one expects from a good double IPA, but without the harsh face-twisting, leg-shaking bitter that shows up so often (I'm sorry Stone et al, any brewmonkey with a bucket and a scale can punish us with hops). Hair of the Dog delivers massive hoppiness with surprising gentleness, for which I am thankful. Sure there's a lot of sediment in the bottle, but that don't bother me.

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

An excellent and very individual DIPA.

22oz bomber, Spring 2007 edition, purchased from City Beer Store in SF for $4.99.

Lots of sediment visible in the bottle (warning on the bottle to pour slowly and leave the sediment in). Gentle pour reveals a very hazy orangish-yellow, not much head at all. Nose is citrusy grapefruit, little bitterness and no syrup compared to other West Coast DIPAs. Taste follows very nicely to the aroma, grapefruit, very lightly sweet malt, but some spicy dryness baked in (perhaps from the rye malt?). Medium-long finish. Texture is not viscous or thick, lending it a nice lightness and drinkability not normally present in this style.

Nice to see someone doing something besides the usual super-syrup of the West Coast DIPA. This isn't one I'll actively return to often - in this style bottled I prefer Marin's White Knuckle and Lagunitas' Hop Stoopid - but I would be very happy to stumble on it in a bar or elsewhere. Worth a try to see where this style can go.

3.75/5  rDev -7.2%

Spring 2007 bottle

Nice dark golden color with a good soft head.

Smells of grapefruit and orange citrus. Strong hop scent too. Nice and clean

Tastes of american hops and piney citrus. The hops aren't to overpowering and balence nicely witht the malt. Seems like it would age well too.

I like this beer, and am really glad to get it in a 22 ounce size. I wish there was more Hair of the Dog beer out there in this size.

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

22 oz. bomber obtained from Market of Choice in Eugene, OR.

Hazy pale amber with sizeable rocky head.

Big orange peel, grapefruit, rose petal, and cedar aromas.

Pungent Northwest hop flavors including orange pulp, grapefruit zest, and pine flavors. Sweet with a high level of bitterness in the finish.

Medium body with perfect carbonation. Nicely balanced DIPA.

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A- About a 1" white head on a cloudy golden orange body.
S- Tons of piney and citrus hops, some grass ones in there too. Sweet caramel malt body gives the hops something to stand on. Fruit juice and light rind comes out a bit too.
T- Pine and light citrus hops come out nice and strong with light rind thrown in there too. There is a sharp rye malt flavor that really helps balance it out very nicely and stays around for the aftertaste leaving a dry pine, orange rind, rye flavor. Light floral flavors come out too. It is quite different with having the rye malt in there but I like it a lot. Almost like a Double hop rod rye with a bit more complex hop flavor.
M- Full body with low/medium carbonation.
D- I really like this beer. I love how they used rye malts for it. Wish they weren't so hard to get.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

I originally tried this beer back before I joined BA. It was an 06 that had aged for several months and i remember it being the best beer i've ever had. I've tried many beers since then, and many have come close. Now, on to this one....

A Spring 07 bottling, released on Earth Day, about a month ago. Appearance is a bright hazy orange color. Very little to no head. Very prevalent fresh yeasty/dough, Grapefruity aroma. Taste is grapefruity bitter, i'm not detecting any pineyness at all, with a nice solid rye maltyness. Very thick mouthfeel. nice and drinkable. Says 7% abv on label. It's still a very delicious beer. Being bottle-conditioned, it would GREATLY benefit from several more months of aging to allow the flavors and aroma to develop to an even higher level. That all said, it's a solid beer.

3.09/5  rDev -23.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber (spring 07 - fresh & local) into an imperial pint glass, the Blue Dot is a hazy burnt gold, with a tight, medium sized egg shell head, that subsides fairly quickly to a creamy collar and skim, leaving moderate, bubbly lace.

The aroma is really nice, bright, pungent hops are very vibrant, grapefruit and sweeter citrus orange, pine and a sweet sugary backdrop.

The taste is not nearly as sweet and fresh, in great contrast to the aroma. This discrepancy leads me to believe the I was smelling simacoe, a hop whose aroma I love, but has a bland, flat taste. There is plenty of hop bitterness here, but where did all that flavor go?? Mostly, it taste like oragina...I've had this a few times, bottles and draft, hoping I'll appreciate it, but it's forever known to me as the orange juice IPA! Aside from a bit of sweet malt, this is dry and minerally, and closer to saison in that regard. There is also a clean, smooth yet distinct, vodka like taste of alcohol. I'm not sure what taste the rye is contributing - I've had rye brews I've loved, and some that were terrible, so I haven't yet dialed that in, but I generally take it to add a peppery spice, that I don't really grab here. As with most ingredients, I'll have to try it in a homebrew to really figure it out. All and all, the taste is pretty bland for a DIPA, other then the bitter dry finish. In contrast to the aroma, a let down.

The mouthfeel is ok, medium bodied and not syurpy, but a little flat on the tongue.

This is not to drinkable. The taste is pretty bland and inoffensive, save for the overdone soapy orange flavor that I disklike, not that yummy, and a tad heavy. I know this beer has a lot of fans, but I'm ultimately disappointed, which has been my experience with most of the HOTD beers...other then Adam, which is fantastic. Fred I'm still on the fence with. Rose sucked. Blue Dot is sub par.

3.95/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a slightly cloudy gold color, with a decent head.

Smells slightly pine like, chalky, and with a hint of citrus.

Taste is really dry and sour. Underlying malt flavor is tart, tangy, and just slightly sweet. The finish has a very biting and bitter hop finish. This is a big and bold DIPA.

Mouthfeel is quite good. It is a well rounded and full flavored beer.

Drinkability is good. It is a strong tasting DIPA, maybe a bit too strong, but it's certainly worth a try.

Thanks beerbeing for sending this my way... from OR to PA to CA!

4.37/5  rDev +8.2%

on tap at the horse brass.

came to the table nearly headless, but what was there was frothy and spotted with pits and bubbles. body was a light, hazy orange with golden tones around the edges. the smell on this beer (even from a few feet away in the smoke-filled bar) was amazing - big, strong citrus hops with smooth waves of sweet-oranges and sticky resin blended quite well with smooth, rye malts. the taste was equally impressive - not as spicy a rye-based IPA like Hop Rod or Bittersweet Lenny's, but smooth and only subtly spicy/sweet mixing with a BIG PNW hop profile (re: smell). Mouthfeel is quite luscious, but not that heavy - smooth, slow, quite a nice sensation, low carbonation, nice drying at the finish.
I've been a fan of this beer for quite a while and it still stacks up. very good, but i wouldn't want more than a bomber (at home) or a pint (at the pub) at a time, due to the ABV.

2.99/5  rDev -26%

Tasted with Fisherman34 during MB DIPA Throwdown 07. A rare treat that Fisherman34 was way too generous to share for the throwdown. High expectations going into this one. Poured a beautiful classic lPA hue with a fluffy cloud white head. Smell- hmm- somethings up here. Not quite right. Taste- confirms the suspected. Some sort of rogue yeast had snuck into this thing. Sour wild yeast tasting on initial sip that gives way to a decent malty DIPA. What a shame- this beer had serious potential. Definitely infected by something. Not being a beer snob by any means I still have it a chance for what it was and actually didn't mind it. Just way too weird due the infection. Jolly Pumpkin like on the start and normal DIPA on the finish. Can't say that every day. No matter- huge thanks to Kris for cracking this one.

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%

From twenty-two ounce screen-printed bottle to clean glass-walled snifter.

This golden-hued beauty shows some haze in the body and is capped with a whipped cream-consistency, thick white head.

Smells like a sap-filled member of the family Pinaceae paired with citrus and sage.

Oh how I love big IPAs brewed with rye malt! The initial peppery bite swings to smoothness in the middle and finishes sharp and tangy. Some mild ethanol is evident at closing.

Overall an excellent style and a lovely beer. Check out He'Brew Bittersweet Lenny's R.I.P.A. for a slightly better take.

3.33/5  rDev -17.6%

Well, surprisingly, a straw yellow pour greets me. Nuttin wrong about the substantial pillow top of white / ivory head on top though.

Notes of hops and malt in the aroma, although nothing ground breaking. Taste was different from expected – a sharp and very dry kick of a piney hops. I was surprised that a beer that clamed to be a DIPA is only 7%. , a little wimpy, in my book. Yep, tasty, but I say this is a regular IPA only.

BUT! Very nice of squidswilbsquids
to send for my BA annv. for the chance to reviewl.

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

22 oz bomber.

A bit of a yellow/gold haze golden beer when poured into an Imperial pint glass (bits of yeast left?). Little head and actually NO lacing to speak of.

Spicy hop aroma with hint of pine and citrus.

Hops (pine and spice) are primary flavors. A bit of balance at the end but overall, not much in terms of sweetness or maltiness.

Not as drinkable as I would have hoped with a Hair of the Dog brew but not bad. A little on the lighter side from what I'd prefer in a Double IPA.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Fall 2008 Release; Sampled December 2008
A reasonable pour into my 25cl tulip glass gets me a three-finger thick head that overflows the rim of my glass just a bit. The head has quite a bit of staying power, is quite fluffy, leaves a nice layering of lace on the sides of my glass and forms some interesting structures as it slowly recedes. The beer is a honey / light amber color that shows a clear, bright copper color when held up to the light. The aroma is nicely hoppy, though it has me noticing that my nose is not quite working as well as usual). Aromas of pine, a touch of menthol, as well as a light herbal note are noticeable up front, but there is a solid, citrus-like backdrop of grapefruit, bergamot, lychee and lemon zest.

The beer is nicely hoppy tasting, much more so than my nose was able to tell. Notably, the beer is also not infected (like my last bottle of this), which is really quite nice. The hop character is fresh and punchy with ample flavors of grapefruit, bergamot oil, and lychee up front; it finishes with a sharper, more herbal focus of tongue clinging pine and hemp oil, with a touch of menthol there as well. There is a nice, solid, and up front, clean bitterness throughout the flavor profile, it gets a little dirty (in a good way) towards the finish as the more herbal hop components kick in. The beer is nice and light bodied for a beer of this strength, which is perfect for the way I like my Double IPAs; it does have some body to it though and is able to carry the ample hop character quite well. There is a touch of alcohol noticeable in the finish, it provides a touch of warming as well as a peppery bite.

This is quite nice when it is not infected, I am quite glad I was able to get another batch of this.

Purchased: Liquid Solutions

Rating from January 2007
Total 3.9
4/4/4/4/3
Disturbingly over carbonated, this beer ends up with an easily five-finger thick, light tan colored head that leaves a layered pattern of lace on the sides of my glass as it subsides. The beer itself is a lightly hazy, definingly copper color. The aroma is certainly quite hop driven; with fruity citrus notes and tropical fruit notes abounding. There is also a fair amount of malt noticeable in the aroma, with both a light sweetness and a biscuit-like malt note noticeable in the background. What else is in the aroma, dare I say it, there is perhaps a touch of Brett signature (though I could be wrong). If it is here it is quite light, leaving only a touch of mustiness and something that I would describe as meatball (maybe it is just a touch cheesy).

Despite having spent a good 5 minutes exploring the aroma, the beer is still quite carbonated as it froths up quite a bit as it first hits my tongue. A quick swirl of the glass releases some of the excess gas and makes the beer smoother and more palatable. There is definitely still a funky note in the flavor here, though the dominant note is one of excessive hops. Bitingly bitter from the get go, this beer is sharp and definingly hoppy from start to finish. It has quite a light body, which is perfectly in line with a West Coast Double IPA; keep the beer excessively hoppy but eminently quaffable. Citrus & fruit notes of tangerine, bergamot, peach, and pineapple all shine at times, though the fact that this beer is relatively dry seems to downplay these notes. This beer does have a malt sweetness to it, just not as much as one might usually find even in an West Coast version. Menthol-driven pine notes are also found in abundance, and perhaps even a bit of grassy herbal character, no make that a definite.

Back to the funk, it is definitely here, nothing too big, but enough little things to add up to something that significantly effects the flavor profile. The beer tastes a touch metallic, lightly cheesy (almost like old hops, but not really), definitely musty, a bit of cobweb character, and a leather / sweat / goat-like note that could quite possibly be Brett influenced.

From a stylistic standpoint, or even a point of view having to do with the brewers intent, I would flunk this beer outright. Though the infection is light, it is here enough that I can recognize it. Still it seems to add a bit of Funk or even Belgian character to this beer, which is not wholly unpleasant. From an enjoyment standpoint I did, and I will happily consume my other bottles of this. In fact take this review with a grain of salt, I like a little (ok even a lot) of funk in my brews, and this one has it, so I am intrigued. Still I would enjoy this much more if it were not infected, or intentionally brewed to be so.

Purchased from: Liquid Solutions

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

Radiant amber-gold with a hint of Sunkist orange peel. The beer is full of miniscule flecks that could just as easily be hop dust as yeast. At least I hope so. Even though the polished ivory cap isn't as heavily creamy as it is on the best looking DIPAs, it's still an attractive crown. Fine squiggles of lace are thinner and more sudsy than I'd like, while still providing extensive glass coverage.

Once the deflation of the cap allows me to get a few good whiffs in, I can appreciate the hoppy splendor of the aroma. Pineapple, orange and white grapefruit greet my nose and impress the hell out it. The hop bill consists of Warrior, Tomahawk and Magnum. It's amazing how many brewers will talk to you and tell you what's in their beer.

Blue Dot isn't a big DIPA in terms of malt structure, but it sure is in terms of hoppy bitterness. In fact, given the absence of caramel malt (pale and rye only) and the less than viscous mouthfeel, it seems like more of a big IPA than a DIPA. That's okay, as long as it's good. And it definitely is that.

I love the spiciness of the rye malt since it gives the beer an added kick that sets it apart from most versions of the style. It doesn't taste anything like Hop Rod Rye, however, which for me is the ultimate rye malt DIPA. A little more pale malt might have turned it into a slightly bigger, slightly better beer, but there's no way to know for sure. I appreciate knowing that a Scottish yeast strain was used, even though I'm not sure how that impacts the flavor profile.

Those aggressive sounding hop varieties taste aggressive as well. Blue Dot stops short of being a tongue abuser, but then I'm only about halfway through the bomber. The fact that any number of DIPAs have it beat in terms of sheer hoppy bitterness doesn't change the fact that hopheads will find plenty to love and will find that their alpha acid itch is being scratched in a big way. White grapefruit pith has now taken the reins and is going to the whip.

Huge sheets of crusty lace haven't appeared on the pint glass, but I'm more impressed than I thought I'd be. As noted above, this isn't the fullest, most viscous DIPA in the stable. As it warms though, it firms up nicely and has clearly escaped IPA territory. With the increasingly buzzsaw hoppiness and the spiciness of the rye malt, too many bubbles would have been sensory overload. Good thing that it's gently carbonated.

My impression of Hair Of The Dog is that they brew original, occasionally offbeat, beer that doesn't always hit the mark. Blue Dot is probably about as close to conventional as they've ever ventured. It's a DIPA that has more in common with a big IPA than with an American barleywine; something that isn't the case often enough to suit me. I'm enjoying it immensely. The hop monkey that is forever on my back is becoming nicely satiated as well.

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

22 oz bomber. Hazy golden beer ( almost looks like a trad. German hefe), large eggshell white head. Strong aromas of pine and spicey hop, some hints of valencia orange for some reason. Sweet and malty for a second then a torrent of piney/citric hopping cleanses, no scours almost the tongue, then it sort of balances out again in the end. Very drinkable and feels very nice and light on the palate, which i think is an advantage in a very hoppy beer. Nice beer but not quite a Double IPA, but more than just a plain old IPA. I think this fits rather neatly in the middle of the two categories.

3.61/5  rDev -10.6%

A: Staw colored brew with apricot highlights. Very cloudy and mysterious. Seriously aggresive carbonation with a towery mashed potato head. Stunning.

S: Major grapefruit, some orange, hint of pine and a smidgeon of caramel.

T: Lots of yellow citrus flavors, primarily lemon and grapefruit, these flavors dominate the beer...like a lemon/grapefruit julius. Slight soapy flavor follows suit with a dull pine wrapping it up. Finishes bitter like pungent citrus rind.

M: Medium body and really smooth for how much carbonation came with the beer.

D: Nice flavor but really one dimensional. I actually found myself getting board of this beer towards the end.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

Had on tap at Brouwers Cafe in Seattle. Arrived a light orange amber with a healthy white head and great lacing. The smell is yeasty, citrusy, fesh and bitter. Very interesting aromas and very nice. Taste is immediately citrusy/hoppy woth a long, long hit of bitterness. The mouthfeel is especially crisp for the style. Different and delicious, and exceedingly fresh tasting on tap.

4.23/5  rDev +4.7%

Very unique IPA. The closest beer I can think of is the La Chouffe IPA. This looks like a Belgian, with a huge, frothy head. Prickly combination of hops and carbonation. Very fruity, almost lemon-like. The body is slightly thin, and ultimately - this brew is just too bitter and dry. A nice effort, but overall not totally satisfying. So many other great alternatives...

3.94/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I love HOD offerings and have been looking forward to this for awhile,first off all the Mother Earth garble on the bottle is annoying but that wont cloud my judgement of this beer.I poured this into an oversized wine glass and holy smokes what a gigantic head on this puppy it took up 3/4 of the glass and nearly went over underneath all that foam was a peachy colored hazed body.Great hop profile in the nose I get leafy herballness and grapefruit quite resiny,who this a bitter DIPA very dry and resiny wow,piney and resiny to the hilt someone leafy with a hint of tea a bone dry cracker malt presence is noticed but barely.Wow this is different somewhat yeasty and like others have noted there is a hint of Belgian quality in its flavors,the dryness in my mind can become a bit much so this is one and done for me no doubt,still a damn good brew for the hophead and quite unique.

7% alc by volume per label.

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

Thanks to JahNoth for supplying me with this wonderful offering. Shared with a friend who's raved about it since he went out west last year.

A: Pours a very cloudy yellowish straw color with a nice one finger white head. Puffy head that has nice retention and amazing lace.
S: Grapefruit hop notes with a nice grassyness to it. Slight level of malt in there also. A bit floral also.
T/M: Big fruity hop notes with sugary and bubblegum flavors that follow up. That bubblegum flavor comes through nicely, but not too overpowering. A nice floral flavor comes in here also followed by an extensive long bitterness that lasts throughout the finish and into the bitterness. Fruity and floral flavors in the aftertaste. Smooth with a nice bold body. Not a hugely thick body, but just enough to warm to chest.
D: Everything my buddy made it out to be. A nice bold body to this dipa, though very easy drinking with a smoothness. Get it if you can.

3.65/5  rDev -9.7%

Appearance: Clear yellow with an almost Duvel-like amount of carbonation.

Smell: Very strong citrus.

Taste: Very bitter citrus, starting to get a little astringent. Some yeasty highlights, which is really unusual for the style.

Mouthfeel: Lasting dry bitterness.

Drinkability: Starting to get on my nerves...

Against the instructions on the bottle, I dumped in the yeast just to see what would happen:

Appearance: Murky, opaque orange.

Smell: Still citrusy.

Taste: Much more subdued citrusy bitterness. About "normal" IPA level bitterness.

This beer was kind of strange. It got so bitter that it felt like chewing on an aspirin at times, but also had a little Belgian feel to it with the yeastiness. There didn't seem to be much balance, so I tried the little yeast-dump experiment. That was interesting but kind of disgusting. There are better choices out there for DIPAs.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours an orange and amber color with a big, puffy, off-white head. Lots of suspended yeast and particulates.
Aroma of multiple hop oils and resins with a large dose of citrusy malt notes. Pine, grapefruit pith and some melon detected
Flavor has a solid base of juicy, citrus and caramel malts that barely stand up to a full-on “hop assault.”
Mouthfeel is quite amazing. The bittering is demanding on the palate but leaves a nice coating of juicy fruits. So thick it’s almost chewy.
As with most HotD beers this is a very approachable but a big beer. Alcohol is hidden by the haze of the hop profile but the power is still felt.

3.82/5  rDev -5.4%

Hair of the Dog, of Portland, Oregon, makes some interesting beers. I've fond to either love or hate their beers. And their latest the Blue Dot falls into that category as well.

To be straight - I neither love nor hate Blue Dot. There are some aspects about it that I think are great and others get me scratching my head. Like all of the HOTD beers I've previously had, it's loaded with sendiment. This makes the beer extremely cloudy. In this case, I was shocked out how light the beer was. This almost looked like a Belgian Pale Ale. The head was out of control, as if I shook it. The aroma was dead giveaway that it wasn't. It's a lemony hop scent, with the slightest bit of stale bread in it.

At this point, I was ready to not like this beer at all but then it goes and surprises me. The taste is actually quite good. It tastes a lot like other DIPAs. It's bitter and bold and quite interesting. the malts were quite pronounced and there was little to no citrus tones in the flavor. It finishes nicely with a round sweetness that brings it all together. Intersting stuff.

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%

Last of a couple I got via Liquid Solutions. The others went in trade.
Much anticipated. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Cloudy yellow/light amber. Moderate head of a fluffy nature receded to about half its' original height with decent lacing.

S - Piney, Uber-Hops. lot's of pink grapefruit as well. Bitter in the nose.

T - BANG..without a doubt the hoppiest, most bitter IPA/DIPA I've ever experienced. More than Hopsickle, more than Moylander, more than Ruination....bitter beyond bitter. This one will wreck your tastebuds for days it seems.

M - Fairly good staying power. A little waterier than I prefer. Again a crazy bitter finish.

D - I am a hopivore. (like that?) I live for hoppy beers. This one, however, I am not embarassed to say, is damn near over the top. The only way I would opt for multiples of this beer would be if it was all I had, or if everything else in the cellar was of a "rarer" nature. Not unpleasant, mind you, just a challenge to finish. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If ass-kicking, bitter, hoppy self-abuse is your thing, don't miss this one.

Blue Dot Double India Pale Ale from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room