Fred | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Fred was created to honor beer writer and historian Fred Eckhardt. It is made with aromatic and rye malts and includes 10 different hop varieties.

10% alcohol by volume
65 IBUs.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-13-1998

Liked:
4.07/5
Alströms:

Ratings: 1,820 |  Reviews: 867

VERY bottle conditioned. Lots of yeast. My fault. Otherwise rich copper amber colored.

Hop resins bordering on turpentine strength dominate the nose. Alcohol very present here.

Mildly sweet caramel up front. Rich maltiness by mid-tongue. Wow. Citrus-resin enamel destroying hops throughout. Possibly a bit cheddary in the aftertaste. Simply fantastic.

Full bodied, chewy, high alcohol, but very drinkable.

This is, by far, my favorite beer. So I decided that it was about time that I shared my love for it.

Fred costs me $3.50 per 12oz bottle. Sometimes, I think that this is expensive. It is only after comparing it with the price of all of the other liquids I tend to enjoy that I appreciate that $3.50 is such a low price to pay for so much pleasure.

I am, overall, a pretty big fan of Hair of the Dog brewing company. I've found that all of their beers have a very complex flavor with many nuances that I'm used to finding in fine wine. However, Fred has come out on top for me, surely in part because it really is such a deep and complex ale, but mostly because it has just the right base flavors of salty, sweet and bitter that seems to hit the spot for me.

I am a fan of many Belgian beers and some American microbrewery graduates, but Fred has remained my top choice for a few years now. It has a wonderful deep golden-to-amber color and a pleasant, slightly honeyed nose. The mildly grassy start is quickly replaced by a mild bitter bite and a long, salty and cloyingly sweet finish that seems to last forever. I savor it for as long as I can, but the glass is waiting for me on the table. So I grab it and enjoy it, again and again. Which I need to get back to now. So I'll wrap this up.

If you come across this beer, I implore you try it. But please leave a few bottles for me. And Hair of the Dog Brewery, get to work! You have a lot more of these to make.

Fred from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room