Fred | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Fred was created to honor beer writer and historian Fred Eckhardt. It is made with aromatic and rye malts and includes 10 different hop varieties.

10% alcohol by volume
65 IBUs.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-13-1998

Reviews: 864 | Ratings: 1,806
4.76/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

From Mikkeller Shop. In Teku glass. Batch 96. Playing Shantae Pirate's Curse. Pretty alcoholic and sweet. However, its not unpleasant but just the opposite thanks to a good usage of candi sugar and hops. Sticky and oily

A rather strange beer and like nothing else in its category (American Strong Ale) and is closer I think to a Belgian Strong Pale Ale in some regards. Strong, thick, sweet, faintly hoppy, flat in the glass with lots of sediment but sparkles with carbonation on the tongue. A good beer, but not a best-in-class brew like some other HOtD offerings I'd had (Adam, Otto).

3.45/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 1 | overall: 3.25

12 FLUID OUNCE bottle
Served in a snifter
Batch #93

This beer pours a syrupy amber color and is murky. I tried to pour aggressively and still could not get any head.

It is very sweet smelling. It reminds me of an English barleywine. I get aromas of dates, figs, and molasses.

It is very sweet once again reminding me of an English barleywine. I get flavors of dates and figs with some residual hops that come through in the finish to save it from being a sweet mess.

Thick and syrupy mouthfeel with no carbonation.

If there were any carbonation at all it might save this beer, but drinking a thick, syrupy, flat, sweet beer becomes kind of a chore after a few sips. I hope to run across this beer again to give it another shot. Batch ninety-three seems to have some problems after reviewing comments on a popular beer ticking app. Avoid batch #93 and you should be okay.

2.86/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a honey gold hue with minimal carbonation or head. As gently as you may pour it is difficult to not get some sediment in the pour, which can detract from the aesthetic. I found the aroma to be disappointingly flat. There is alchohol esters upfront with underpinnings of candied sugar, dry apricot and hop resin. Discernible, but all distant. Certainly fits the bill for a "strong". Surprisingly and despite of the age, I picked up a lot of hop oil / resin upfront - a tad acrid, however. There are notes of sandalwood, bitter rye and esters throughout. Finishes with a bitter, fusel punch. I was missing the warm malt flavors some reviewers have noticed or any Belgian sugar, which made this a rough sit for me. Those flavors would have gone a long way towards smoothing this beer out.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%

Hazy orange color with off-white head. Aroma has sweet malt, candied oranges, peaches, apricots and a light nutty note. Taste has also sugar notes, not so fruity as the aroma suggested but the nutty note is present on the finish. Body is medium to full and has a smooth feel. Slight alcohol heat and medium bitterness on the aftertaste. Overall it has really nice flavors but the alcohol heats your insides a bit too much.

You’ll know what you’re getting into at first whiff. Malts and alcohol greet you, a murky copper color with just a ring of head around the glass. Some caramel/ toffee sweetness mellows the whole thing. Alcohol burn and warmth all the way down.

A - Pours a clear golden color, much like apple cider. Very small head, lots of tiny bubbles.
S - Aroma is a very mild raisin.
T - Flavor is sweet, mild raisin, caramel, with a fairly bitter finish. Boozy.
M - Mouth feel is on the sticky side, medium carbonation.
O - Not my favorite from HOTD, but a very good beer. Make sure you let it get to room temperature.

4.13/5  rDev +1.2%

The alcohol is hidden beautifully in this strong ale. The aroma of cloves and other spices leads to the initial flavor profile. The back notes of the sugar mellow it all out. Just a really good beer.

4.24/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

As stated before, I'm very fortunate to live close to this brewery. This is another home run from a brewery that stands out for outstanding heavy beers. This is another go to for me along with their Adam. I love this elusive special golden ale or golden strong ale style. The 10% is fairly hidden. I get a lot of clove, vanilla, sugar, malt, a little nuttiness and very creamy. Keep up the good work HOTD. Now if I could only find Matt so I can rate it.

3.22/5  rDev -21.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

From 2009 poured into a snifter at 50 degree. An orange color beer with some amber hue. The head is one finger thick with some retention. The clarity of is slightly opaque.

Citrus, bread, biscuit, yeast, caramel, floral, and boozy.

Orange peel, bread, biscuit, yeast, caramel, and some stone fruit, like peaches, and apricots.

The mouthfeel is dry slightly carbonated and sticky.

This strong ale is sticky and sweet, I think it is over aged, the body of the beer is different. I really don't care for this one.

3.33/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip. Batch # 90.

pours a slightly hazy yellow with a big white fluffy head. decent carbonation. head retains in lesser form all the way through. there are some sizable floaties, despite the careful pour of a bottle conditioned beer. leaves semi decent lacing.

very little on the nose, slight sweetness and some yeast.

taste was where this one lost me. the slight sweetness and strong bitterness did not mesh well at all for my palate. sweetness lasts but a few seconds but the bitterness persists and it's not a pleasant bitterness.

feel is medium and finish is bitter.

all in all not a good beer for me.

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours a warming golden tan in the glass.
Low aroma. Nice bitterness. Overly sweet finish. Belgo-candi sugar overdose. This didn't do much for me at all.

3.88/5  rDev -4.9%

My first HotD beer! I mean I've owned several for a while, but I've cellared each and every one of them. Bottoms up! 12 oz. bottle into a teku.

A - Wah! Woo! Ug-lee! Fugly! Absolutely no head, and zillions of floaties. The few bubbles rose to the top almost immediately, and now this thing is stagnant. Even the floaties aren't moving. Otherwise it's a lifeless, translucent burnt orange.

N - Better. This smells almost exactly like FW Helldorado, a blonde barleywine. Some hop bitterness, but not much. I get some caramel, and a bit of vanilla too.

T - Man, is this interesting. This is almost like drinking a low ABV hard liquor. Absolutely no carbonation, but just bursting with flavor. Still that slight hop bitterness, but otherwise tons of caramel, vanilla, maybe some coconut. and some tropical fruit, like peaches, mangos, apricots, etc. Unique!

M - For having zero carbonation, this thing does get around. Dry on the finish, but not clean at all. This one will be sticking around for a while. It's everywhere on my tongue and palate. Never experienced anything like this before.

O - I hate to rate this under a 4, but it's a bit hoppy/bitter for me, and it's just so f-ing ugly. Overall, however, a very nice beer. Eager to try more of their stuff.

4.1/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a dark orange. Slight haze. Noticeably flat like most HOTD beers I've had.

Smell is of mulling spices, some orange zest. Booze on the nose.

Taste has a yeasty fruitiness to it similar to a tripel. The booze is there as a warming touch as the liquid coats the palate. No harsh, but just warming enough. Candy sugar, Orange, rye spice, yeast, and other lighter stone fruits all present. Slight sweetness on the finish, but not cloying. Maybe even a slight peat smoke as the beer warms...

Mouthfeel is rich and creamy. The low/no carb works well with this beer.

Overall, in the broad category of American strong ale I would rate this fairly high. The booze is there but not overwhelming or out shining the other aspects of the beer. This to me seems like a boozy tripel with the fruity and yeasty character to it, but the nice spice notes really add an extra oomph to the beer.

4.4/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I have no idea how to describe what this beer tastes like. If I did it would sound like I did not like it as I would say it's flat tasting (low carbonation) with a kind of sweet taste or dates. But it works! It's similar tasting to Doggie Claws which I did not like, but this one is delicious.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a bottle into a wine glass.

L- A clear golden liquid with minimal head. I wasn't expecting this. Most of the strong ales that I have had are dark and rich. This looks more like a blond barley wine. I'm not really sure what the difference is.
S- sweet brown sugar and dark fruit notes.
T- Sweet. Brown sugar dates are what comes to mind.
F - Smooth and rich

Overall this beer reminds me a lot of Helldorado which I just had from FW. Its a great beer and easily obtained in CA. I wish I had picked it up earlier.

4.33/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Enjoyed on draft in their tasting room. Pours a rich gold hue with loads of carbonation and head retention. Lots of rich dried fruit and caramel malt in the nose and the taste holds true to that, while adding mounds of hops and esters. It's definitely got some chew to it. I love this beer. after spending a few hours in the tasting room, I'm almost glad I live on the other side of the country. They'd never get me to leave if I was in the area full time. Cheers!

4.77/5  rDev +16.9%

Poured from a growler.

Appearance was a hazy opaque golden honey with a thick fluffy white head and lively carbonation, even after a week in the growler. Head retention was shitty, lacing was ok.

Smelled of orange blossom hoppiness and burnt sugar. Breathes fire a bit

Tasted primarily of molasses and orange, with a slight bitterness at the back of the throat. Tastes of a light barleywine.

Felt thick, sticky, and smooth with surprisingly low burn and a slight fuzziness in the finish.

Overall, there would be more depth to this review had I done it live in the public house, but the overall character remained. The beer was still ultra-fantastic even though a week had passed with it in the growler. I love strong ales, and this one has a very unique twist that is not unwelcome. Pops in law, who shared the growler with me, called it his favorite beer of all time.

4.52/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I continue to go back to this beer any chance I can get. It's got a great mouth feel, perfect blend of malt and hops, with a 10% kick in the end. I prefer it a little more on the room temperature side.

4.15/5  rDev +1.7%

This is a great golden ale. Hops are a little high and the candy sugar is on the sweet side. Would drink again, but not true to the belgian golden style--more of a new world style golden ale.

4.5/5  rDev +10.3%

L: Hazy gold with a large piillowy white head that grips the side of the glass.
S: Fruit, light malt, banana.
T: Slightly sweet on the tongue with fruit, over ripe fruit and light malts.
F: Very creamy, soft mouthfeel with medium to medium light body and medium carbonation.

3.04/5  rDev -25.5%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Rich-looking medium brown pour. Cloudy, hazy look. However, there is NO head. None. Zilch. Simply not there. Looks like a juice of some sort.

The smell is very pleasant. There's a nice fruity scent mixed in with a little rye spice. All the while your nose tells you there's candied sugar in there somewhere. Even without the writing on the bottle, these ingredients stand out.

The rye malt is very apparent and dominant. Alcohol really comes to life in the taste as it's extremely strong and medicinal. The sugar is there as well. Hops are a bit player in this aggressive sipper.

Zero carbonation. The beer is completely flat until the spicy malt and crazy alcohol pepper the palate. It's very sweet, fairly bitter, and ridiculously alcoholic...a bit too much so. Feels like a Barleywine. Despite the flat feel, it's a very heavy beer.

Very disappointing. Maybe I let this one age a little too long, but I thought with the high ABV it would be ok. This wasn't very good. The look is awful, the taste is a bit on the medicine side, and it feels pretty bad. I expected so much more based on what I'd read. This missed the target on most fronts.

3.25/5  rDev -20.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Despite a nice aroma the taste and mouth feel were both surprisingly disappointing. I generally love golden ales, and the surface characteristics of this beer suggested that I would enjoy this one as well, but the actual taste did not bear that out.

2.27/5  rDev -44.4%

Fred pours a very cloudy amber brown with no head. Not very attractive. Looks like a muddy puddle in my glass. The scent is very sweet featuring brown sugar, caramel and dark fruits such as fig and plum. The taste is also sweet, really too sweet. The rye spiciness attempt to hold back the sweetness, but it all comes through as a sugar bomb. Lots of caramel. Alcohol heat is present, but not terribly strong. Mouthfeel is nearly wine still and fairly heavy.

I enjoyed some of their other offerings on tap yesterday, but this one from the bottle is a muddled sweet mess. I'm curious to know what the brewer was after with this one. Maybe a mistake and under attenuated due to the strong sweet flavor and lack of carbonation. Reading the notes saying there are 10 different hops used is interesting. This may have helped lead to the muddled flavors. 10 different hops is a lot to try to balance.

4.11/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Flavor profile was really solid--caramel, vanilla, dark sugary dried fruit, but almost no carb at all. heavy yeast at the bottom of the bottle made it into my glass.

Fred from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room