Fred | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States

Style: American Strong Ale

Fred was created to honor beer writer and historian Fred Eckhardt. It is made with aromatic and rye malts and includes 10 different hop varieties.

10% alcohol by volume
65 IBUs.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-13-1998

Reviews: 859 | Ratings: 1,786
4.36/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- Deep golden with a billowy white head of 2.5-3 fingers. Good staying power and clings oh so well. Very clean looking until I got greedy and attempted to get the last drop before a portion of the sediment hit my glass.

S- Pilsner malts, sweet confection candy, spice of rye, and a mixture of both bright and dark fruits. Fruity esters. A lot going on here and it seems to work.

T- Impeccable balance. A healthy does of sweet malts and intense hopping, accompanied by a soft booze character. Toffee, wood, and spicy grain.

M- full body, yet easy drinking for the abv. Syrupy and creamy. Alcohol settles in with a bite towards the finish.

O- No clue how to classify this beer, but it really doesn't matter. It's a strong ale that goes hard to the paint with intense flavors and complexity.

Pair with lamb, braised pork belly, or flavored cheeses. Serve at cellar temp and age if possible.

3.24/5  rDev -20.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Batch 85

Aroma: molasses, brown sugar and some sherry notes. Spicy hop aroma in the background.

Appearance: dark golden to orange with some debris from bottle conditioning.

Flavor: sweetness: raisin and fig. Hop flavor is still prominent though. Some paper and sherry.

Mouthfeel: highly carbonated and slightly lingering sweetness in finish.

Overall: not the best bottle I've had. Slightly oxidized and more dark malt character than I remember. Still a good beer.

3.77/5  rDev -7.8%

Batch 89. 12oz bottle served in pint glass. Beer is relatively pale in color (which is to say dark orange), and very muddy looking, texture-wise. Sediment retained in the bottle. Pours fairly syrupy, with zero head. Rich aroma suggesting a barley wine: ripe plums, raisins. Flavor is refreshingly bright, suggesting both golden caramel, and a little bit of hop flavor, which was completely absent from the nose. Oh, and it's totally flat?! Or very nearly.

The interesting thing at work is here the way the spiciness of the hops plays off the flavors of the grain. I don't detect rye in particular, but there's definitely some tasty grain presence all up in my face. That particular combination is superbly executed, but between the color, the sweetness, and the lack of carbonation, I can't help but wonder if I'm drinking someone's failed homebrew. I expect the lack of carbonation is really divisive when it comes to grading this beer, or this batch anyway. I'm not really digging it but maybe it will grow on me.

4.23/5  rDev +3.4%

Batch 78. Brought back by PurpleCloud from Portland, OR. Thanks bro!!rnrnGreat beer all-around. Unique, tasty, full-flavored and definitely unique. Somewhere between a tripel and saison in taste. With an ABV that is definitely present and quite noticeable.

4.08/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Orthodoxkardia for this one.

12oz bottle. Batch 89. Pours a murky light brownish orange with a massive, chunky head. 2+ inches. Fair amount of lacing. The aroma is hoppy tropical fruits, alcohol, yeast and funk. Kind of smells like a hopped up, boozey Pilsner. The taste is boozey upfront with some butterscotch and orange peel. Some clove and spice notes as well. Boozey at the end with some more bitter orange peel. Pretty sweet. Creamy mouthfeel. Pretty complex beer with alot going on. Plenty of Pilsner characteristics but with plenty of hops and alcohol burn. I don't think I have had many brews like this one. Overall, pretty damn good.

4.47/5  rDev +9.3%

Batch 34 (bottled in 2000) drank Dec 28 2013 at the brewpub. What a treat to get to try such an old cellared bottle! No doubt this was a hand-picked batch that is a cut above many of the others.

I didn't take much for notes so these are a bit abbreviated but to the point.

A: Deep red with small but lasting head.

S: Sweet red fruits and red licorice. Delicious

T: Red fruit (cherry, plum), red licorice, vanilla perhaps?

M: Syrupy thickness, just awesome. Nice carbonation - gentle but there.

O: Stunning how this beer's stood the test of time. While the carbonation of Fred can be all over the map, Batch 34 is an outstanding example. I am not trained on off-flavours or oxidization but this didn't have enough of either to detract from the beautiful malty body that's developed.

4.46/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into snifter glass. No date on bottle.

Appearance: just as I was pouring, foam rapidly built up. It was thick like shaving cream, you could almost make stiff peaks like whipping cream. Had to let the beer settle a bit before resuming the pour. The beer had a nice hay golden color with bubbles fizzing up. Some sediment settled to the bottom.

Smell: tropical fruits and a little bit of pilsner malt. Very sweet and fragrant. The hops really shine through.

Taste: it's a mesh of sweetness and bitterness. Hops are aggressive in this; it taste almost like a double IPA. Taste sweet/bitter grapefruit followed by a malty sweetness. I know it's an American strong ale, but if I didn't know that, I swear I would assume its a double IPA.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied mouthfeel; while the appearance shows it's a bit over-carbonated, it's not.

Overall: It's a great brew. I'm a bit burnt out by IPAs at that time but with the significant amount of hops in this strong ale, it was still enjoyable.

4.24/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Batch Number 87. Consumed on 12/17/13 as I begin the chore of wrapping the year's Christmas presents. . . .

A: Poured from the bottle into a Piraat tulip/snifter-type glass. Body is dark golden at first blush, turning more orangey-amber when backlit. A modestly aggressive pour has yielded a large (nearly 3-fingers) off-white head that threatened to escape the top of the glass. Active carbonation fortifies the head, allowing it to only ever-so-slowly settle to a meringue-like hill of foam in the middle, surrounded by soap-bubble-like foam that coats the glass. Calling it lacing would be a mistake; this is foamy.

S: First impression is of the alcohol. Then I get candied fruit, sugar-coated oranges and Southern Comfort or Grand Marnier. Obviously a lot of malt went into the creation of this, as I also get toffee and caramel malt.

T: Pretty much follows the nose, with toffee, caramel malt, fruit (overripe canned peaches in syrup come to mind), some modest spiciness and booze (SoCo again is a thought). Finishes, however, with a good bitterness that seems tannic at times, as though this were aged in wood - young wood. That's quite a feat, given that I believe this has been in my cellar - and then my DBF - for quite awhile, so the hops should have mellowed quite a bit by now. Warming is noted in the belly pretty quickly; no surprise given the 10% ABV.

M: Pretty close to full-bodied in weight, with a modest syrupy feel to it - which again is a surprise given the active carbonation. Somehow this beer pulls off a lot of different things all at once, even in the mouthfeel.

O: This is really good stuff. My only complaint is that I've got to go wrap presents. I'd rather sit in the family room by the fire and sip this over the next hour, focused on little more than this beer and some good tunes. Wish I could get this one again.

4.22/5  rDev +3.2%

Batch 90, 12oz bottle poured to snifter.

A: dark golden color, about a fingers width of off white head. Leaves light amount of lacing.

S: honey, dark fruits, maybe a bit of brown sugar?

T: honey and fruit sweetness up front, a nice bit of spice follows, hop bitterness in the finish. Bitterness lingers just a bit.

M: medium bodied, with high carbonation. Just a touch of burn from the alcohol.

O: very good beer. The 10% abv isn't too noticeable. Goes down easily.

4.16/5  rDev +1.7%

$4.99 for a 12 oz and a 92 rating, I'm about to see what the hype is. Poured dark gold without any head. Hmmm so its flat? I dont know let me see then "Sip" yeah its borderline flat. Oh well at least its tastes ok.

Smell is a wonderful bouquet of flowery esters and fruit. Peach, apricot, wet hay, strawberry, some banana, just a really interesting complex smell, very unique.

Taste is very intriguing. Main flavor I get is golden raisin, in a big way. Never had a beer taste like this before. Other fruits come to mind, like apricot, pineapple, sweet syrupy goodness, but It's even more so because this bottle was not carbed well. Anyways, kind of belgian like, I dont know if from the yeast or hop combination or what, but its like a condensed belgian triple. Big flavor profile with a strong alcohol taste. It's pretty hot, more so than other 10% beers.

mouthfeel is slick and syrupy, hardly any carb on this one but I am enjoying it anyways. If this beer typically has more carb then I will give it a 4. Must be a bottle defect or yeast problem. This is ever so slightly carbonated to keep it from being all flat, but still needs more.

Over all this is a very unique beer and its way different than anything I've had before. My second Hair of the dog beer, as I have had Adam before. Looking forward to trying some of their other beers but I won't buy this again as it was a unique experience and I think thats enough, for 5 bucks.

3.74/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Fred is my first taste of Hair of the Dog. Reminds me very much of a Belgium. Let me just start with the obvious.... Lots of alcohol going on. Everything from the taste to the high ABV (10%), Fred hits you QUICK. Maybe I should have eaten before hand...

Great golden hue, but....I dislike the thick cappuccino like head. You could blame my pore, but honestly I think it is what it is.

Overall its fairly good. Just above average. Worth trying more Hair of the Dog but not hooked yet.

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass; Batch 79 bottled 1/21/2010. Pours moderately cloudy bright orange amber color with a 1-2 finger dense off white head with great retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass, with some light streaming carbonation. Aromas of big peach, pear, apple, pineapple, apricot, golden raisin, floral, grass, light pine, herbal, bread, rye, honey, light caramel, and floral earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of hop and malt notes; with great strength. Taste of big pineapple, peach, pear, apple, apricot, golden raisin, floral, grass, light pine, honey, rye, biscuit, caramel, toffee, herbal, and floral earthiness. Minimal bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of pineapple, peach, apple, pear, apricot, golden raisin, floral, grass, honey, rye, biscuit, caramel, toffee, herbal, and floral earthiness on the finish for a while. Fantastic complexity, robustness, and balance of hop and light malt flavors; with a great moderately crisp hop/malt balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and medium-full bodied; with a slick, lightly syrupy, and fairly crisp mouthfeel that is great. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is a highly excellent blond barleywine! All around great complexity, balance, and robustness of hop and malt flavors; and very smooth to sip on for the big ABV. A highly enjoyable offering.

4.49/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 86

Appearance - Wow. Whirling carbonation just accumulates in a 2 finger head that looks as thick as heavy cream save that it's an off white color. The brew itself is a copper orange that cascades with a slight haziness.

Smell - An unavoidable aroma even from 3 feet away. Dark fruits of cherry and plum, overtones of the hop profile that are supremely floral. Pale malts make up a solid base.

Taste - Extremely complex. Starting with the front there is a sweetness that reminds much of Belgian sugars and the malts follow suit right away, this is brought out more with a little sip of air. The yeasts come into the picture soon after giving a slightly astringent yet fruity profile. The finish has a bit of alcohol heat that complements the style. There is also a oak that comes from below.

Mouthfeel- medium/full bodied, quite milky feel and velvety smooth.

Overall - With all great beers come a great story. I was headed out to start a new job in Montana and was making a 3 day trip out of it. One of those nights I found myself in Portland and at a restaurant that was half bottle shop, half pasty eatery. I was trying a few brews before planning to spend the night in my car and after paying the tab the bartender hands me a bottle in a brown paper bag, "Wait a year before drinking this," he said. Almost 14 months later I finally allowed myself to unveil the identity, and it is easily one of the top brews I've ever tried.

4.27/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Being reviewed is a 2011 vintage.

A - Pours a vibrant amber gold color with amazingly active carbonation and a billowing, three fingered rocky head that takes forever to die down. No matter how gentle the pour, was difficult to keep the head from accumulating.

S - Honey toffee malt aroma, alcohol esthers, vanilla, & spiced rum.

T - Vanilla, spiced rum, honey malt, alcohol esther presence, and warming on the way down.

M - The generous amount of carbonation dissipates almost immediately when it hits the tongue and turns velvety smooth, full medium body feel and slick.

O - Sweet and boozy, a definite sipper, I would love to have a 2013 for comparison.

3.23/5  rDev -21%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.75

EDIT 6/15/2014: Apparently this beer tastes like this fresh as well, only evermore sweet, almost cloyingly so. I struggled to finished my 4oz of this at the brewpub in Portland. Honeyed, syrupy, yeasty, and too much of a butterscotch bomb to wade through enjoyably. I've given up trying to enjoy this, and will opt for a Moscato d'Asti the next time around.

Finally found an opportunity to crack this open. Batch 87 - poured out of a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

Well, I can safely say that this at least pours a beautiful beer in many respects - contains the very sort of showmanship I give high marks to pretty beers for. Cloudy, creamy, orange amber (sunset, really), complete with SEVEN fingers worth of a frothy, creamy white head that nearly overflows when poured to the top of the glass. And, this was when I was careful in pouring it as well. How does a 20 proof beer produce something of this monstrosity? The secret is the bottle conditioning, and this won me over in the process. Leaves behind tons of thick lacing, as well as an egg-white beaten head that's only found in few other beers I've seen, such as Orval. Does it smell the same, however?

Err... No. Still, contains some interesting things going on right here that make it different from your run-of-the-mill Belgian-style strong ale. Canned peaches, pineapples, pears, and raisins make up the main aroma, with tons and tons of caramel and butterscotch following soon afterwards. Contains a funky yeasty character but a rather dulled flavor throughout. I'd imagine this is a bit old at this point, but I wouldn't know with the lack of the bottling date. There's no bitterness here to speak of, but it's definitely funky and sweet in its own regards. I did expect a bit more, however.

The flavor is about the same, but I can definitely say with confidence that this bottle in particular is a bit old by now. What's left is mainly a yeast and malt stew, with the hops long gone and faded away. Notes of candied pineapple, peaches, pears, and green apple fill the tongue, only to be cut by intense butterscotch and caramel from the malts, with a faded citrus characteristic that is from the dulled hops. I'd imagine this is more impressive while it's fresh, but there's something underwhelming about it, especially in face of its high ABV. Then again, I can't TASTE the alcohol under the sugar, but I can definitely feel it. Definitely well carbonated - as creamy and world-class as any well done home brew. Gets progressively sweet as it warmed up - I had to pair it with fatty funky cheese and meat to cut it down a bit.

Not quite what I expected - I heard this was one the brewery's better readily available beers, but it's a bit too old at this point and I'd love to try it again fresh one day and give it a new review. It feels a little one-note at this point, and it's struggling to win my full attention. At least it paired extremely well with a handful of honey glazed nuts, but other than that, there's not much else I can go with this.

4.04/5  rDev -1.2%

Batch 89 poured into Founders snifter.

Appearance it's golden, light orange, hazy with a thin white head that remains

Smell is pineapple, citrus, peach, sweet malt, caramel. No alcohol in nose.

Taste caramel, some bitter hops, juicy hop flavor, grapefruit, fig, vanilla

Mouth feel is wonderful. Full, creamy, smooth. Some welcome alcohol that blends well with the sweetness.

Overall I am very impressed by my first offering from HotD. So glad this does not have carbonation issues. I will trade for more of their brews in the future. This drinks much easier than 10% but is still a sipper for me

3.01/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Duvel tulip

A - Pours a murky brown color with a light auburn hue when tilted to the light. Mild carbonation and very still in the glass. No head formed when poured and only has a bubbled edge around the sides.

S - Reveals a deep earthiness with a burnt sugar and candied yam/sweet potato aroma. Esters are very evident in this beer followed by hints of dark fruits. This is not what I was expecting. Reveals almost a Quad-like smell. Intense!

T - Almost no carbonation and very off-putting. I think that this is a bad bottle. Tastes of caramel and burnt sugar. Very similar to the smells

M - No carbonation on the palate with a thick and syrupy feel. Not appealing. Again, this is a bad bottle.

O - I'm not going to give this a bad rating as I got a bad bottle. I hope the other bottle I have is a lot better.

PS - I'll correct my review if the next bottle is better.

4.15/5  rDev +1.5%

Hair of the dog Fred: special ale

November 16, 2012. bottle into Duvell glass.

Appearance: 4.5
Clear golden orange body with approximately 1 1/2 to 2 inches of head. Good lacing.

Aroma: 4.5
Sweeter malt aroma with notes of wort and slight bread. Slight notes of green apple and fruit. Mild spiciness of the yeast.

Initially there's a slight sweetness of the malt w faint fruit and Ester notes. Midway through yet more spiciness from the yeast. And the bitterness becomes significantly more detectable, offering a sharp contrast to the sweetness of the malt. Finishes with a moderate bitterness lingering across the pallet, with fleeting notes of spice and malt.

Mouthfeel : 4
moderate carbonation mild moderate this Viscosity. The bitterness offers a moderate astringency.

a nice offering with pleasant malt components. Aroma is enjoyable with the notes of fruit and sweet malt. Bitterness may be a touch overpowering but taste is still enjoyable.

2.8/5  rDev -31.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a tumbler.

Let's hope this stuff is more Frederick the Great on the battlefield than Fred Flintstone on the lanes... It pours a mostly clear golden-brass topped by a finger or so of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises thick honey, mild banana, biscuit, mild Belgian yeast, clove, and a touch of booze in the background. The taste brings in more of the same, with the booze and an overly-strong current of blunt sweetness dominating the proceedings. Honestly, things just seemed too sweet and disjointed to get much of a sense of the other constituent pieces. The body is a hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a lightly syrupy feel, and a drying finish. Overall, like many Hair of the Dog offerings, this stuff didn't do it for me at all. It's too sweet and boozy for its own good, and it seems to want to insist upon itself rather than let me experience it in any kind of pleasurable way. God, I hope that makes some sense to someone other than me...

4.4/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Yeah buddy, is Raul sure feelin' this one. I assume when Kelis "brings her milkshake to the yard," it tastes like this. Thick(ish), smooth, a bit sweet, almost mead like...but heavenly. All kinds of heavenly. Like all of the Victoria Secret Angels at Raul's house for a sleepover "heavenly."

4.2/5  rDev +2.7%

Very very good beer, very fruit flavor that does a very good job of hiding the alcohol flavor, although it is still there in the aftertaste. Pours a clearish gold with good lace. Very enjoyable beer and during a long day just one alone did me good, which just so happened to be how many I had. Purchased while at the brewery having a flight taster, was my favorite that was in to go bottles and not just a growler, Batch #89

4.49/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz Bottle
Liquid Solutions

Batch 67

Fred pours a hazy dirty copper with a great three finger tan head that lasts and lasts. The body glows with orange highlights when backlit and for some reason the head even seems to have a tint of dirty orange to it. A few tiny carbonation bubbles rise to the big dense head keeping it busy. Leaves sheet lacing down the glass after each sip.

This beer smells nothing like what I was expecting. The first thing that comes to mind is juicy but tart ripe green apples along with slivered almonds. Hmmm....interesting. Some caramel and semi-sweet pale maltiness lurk around in the back and there's a nice alcohol spiciness toward the end that adds a great complexity. Really interesting and delicious smelling. Makes my mouth water.

The maltiness comes through much more in the flavor than aroma. Caramel and toffee maltiness show through big along with a mid-palate leafy hoppy bitterness. The green apple tartness and quick but sharp nuttiness come through as well. This beer is as unique as it gets. Layers of complexity. The next sip never equals the last.

The mouthfeel is unbelievably luxurious and plush. Airy up front, creamy in the middle, and smooth as velvet on the finish. The carbonation level is perfect.

This beer goes down super easy but is without a doubt a sipper. I could drink it a little faster but with the sheer complexity I would be missing way to much.

Fred must have been a good man because the beer brewed in his honor is brewed with great care and unbelievable flavor. I'd love to see the recipe for this beer. It fits in no category but has hints of many styles. Another great beer from Hair of the Dog. Adam and Ruth are two of my favorites from this year.

Reviewed: 10/20/07

3.94/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

a copper pour with some black sediment that's actually intimidating (from a homebrewer's perspective). almost like tea sediment. the aroma is all caramel with a hint of toffee, chocolate, raisins, plum, pecans. MY GOD this tastes like candied yams! is that even possible?? definitely getting a LOT of pecan, walnut, caramel, subtle chocolate, sugary sweetness.
full body, low carbonation, very much a dessert beer.
an awesomely sweet delicious beer. get it.

2.84/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Was excited about the color, the smell was perfect
I got the zero carbonation version.
Taste was exactly as I had expected for a golden ale.
Warming but not overwhelming heat.
I'm disappointed, Nothing more to say.
Doubt I would shell out more money for another Hair of the Dog.

1.08/5  rDev -73.6%

Batch 88 bottle poured into a goblet glass.

A- Very hazy orange color upon pouring. No head at all.

S- Very strong smell of dark fruits, sweetness, and an overall off putting aroma. Can't put a finger on what the smell is I am getting.

T- Very sweet with hints of dark fruits. Not sure what is going on with the taste, seems to be very confused flavors overall.

M- Very thick and syrupy with a strong, warm alcohol presence.

O- Honestly I was looking forward to finally trying a beer from Hair of the Dog. I could not drink more than 2-3 sips of this one. Same goes for the rest of the people around when we tasted it. Poor flavor and hard to tell if this was still good. Have heard of problems with consistency with this beer, would try it or other HotD again, but only if offered as a sample. I am definitely not willing to pay full price for a bottle or draft of this or others until trying something better.

Fred from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room