Fred | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Fred was created to honor beer writer and historian Fred Eckhardt. It is made with aromatic and rye malts and includes 10 different hop varieties.

10% alcohol by volume
65 IBUs.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-13-1998

Ratings: 1,821 |  Reviews: 867

2.53/5  rDev -37.8%

Spent way to much on this bottle. the batch I tasted was 4 yrs old. Maybe I am not a fan of aged beers. Very heavy mouthfeel, not friendly to the nose. Way to much bready taste and a HUGE belgian yeast aftertaste that lingered and did not go away. Nice to try something different, but we decided Fred can just lie in his bed, permanently.

2.66/5  rDev -34.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

2.73/5  rDev -32.9%

Batch 93....third straight flat Fred I have had. Started with batch 88 and now two straight batch 93s are drain pours.

Overall this beer smells and looks great, but I need some more texture. Supposedly bottle conditioned, but there is absolutely no carbonation in this batch. Extremely disappointed with my Fred experience thus far.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.77/5  rDev -31.9%

I think I got a bad bottle. The carbonation present in this particular Fred is ridiculously high. Each Time I poor the head level rises twice as much as the liquid. The head is not going away. It is a lumpy white that continues to sit on the top while the head is built up from the bottom.
The initial appearance and smell, the hazy golden color and what I thought was a pronounced hoppy aroma made me think ruination, but sadly this is not the case. Upon imbibing this brew the alcohol hits like a fist to the face and carbonation makes a thorough examination of the taste impossible. I'd like to poor more to get a better idea, but i'm afraid the head will rise again. ..The bubbles are still rising in abundance...The lace is very thick if you're wondering. If I get the rest of this poured before the beer is room temperature My views may change and I'll amend this review accordingly, but as it is this is not a beer i'll be enjoying again if i am in Dorothy Lane Market getting coffee or beer and happen to see it.

2.79/5  rDev -31.4%

A- pours a slightly hazy gold with an ok head that dissipates quickly.

S- slightly tart, alcohol, yeasty. good.

T- wow disappointing, paint thinner is not a good taste. a little yeasty as well. was hoping for much more.

M- not overly carbonated or thin, decent here.

D- well I would go with a no compared to other barley wines I have had, even though the bottle calls it a golden? perhaps let this one age a few years and see if the paint thinner goes away and it cools down.

2.79/5  rDev -31.4%

Originally had this beer years ago (batch 48) and rated a 4.5.

Revisited this evening (batch 93) and was thoroughly disappointed.
Flat, sweet, boozy. Almost every HotD bottle I've had in the past year has had major carbonation issues.

2.8/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Served in a tumbler.

Let's hope this stuff is more Frederick the Great on the battlefield than Fred Flintstone on the lanes... It pours a mostly clear golden-brass topped by a finger or so of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises thick honey, mild banana, biscuit, mild Belgian yeast, clove, and a touch of booze in the background. The taste brings in more of the same, with the booze and an overly-strong current of blunt sweetness dominating the proceedings. Honestly, things just seemed too sweet and disjointed to get much of a sense of the other constituent pieces. The body is a hefty medium, with a light moderate carbonation, a lightly syrupy feel, and a drying finish. Overall, like many Hair of the Dog offerings, this stuff didn't do it for me at all. It's too sweet and boozy for its own good, and it seems to want to insist upon itself rather than let me experience it in any kind of pleasurable way. God, I hope that makes some sense to someone other than me...

2.84/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Was excited about the color, the smell was perfect
I got the zero carbonation version.
Taste was exactly as I had expected for a golden ale.
Warming but not overwhelming heat.
I'm disappointed, Nothing more to say.
Doubt I would shell out more money for another Hair of the Dog.

2.86/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours a honey gold hue with minimal carbonation or head. As gently as you may pour it is difficult to not get some sediment in the pour, which can detract from the aesthetic. I found the aroma to be disappointingly flat. There is alchohol esters upfront with underpinnings of candied sugar, dry apricot and hop resin. Discernible, but all distant. Certainly fits the bill for a "strong". Surprisingly and despite of the age, I picked up a lot of hop oil / resin upfront - a tad acrid, however. There are notes of sandalwood, bitter rye and esters throughout. Finishes with a bitter, fusel punch. I was missing the warm malt flavors some reviewers have noticed or any Belgian sugar, which made this a rough sit for me. Those flavors would have gone a long way towards smoothing this beer out.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

Got this in a trade from travisd13. Poured into a snifter and enjoyed with Trevor (lynx1245).

NOTE: After talking to others about this experience, I'm pretty certain that this bottle contained infected yeast.

Appearance: As soon as this was popped open, carbonation rushed to the surface and caused the head to gush out the top of the bottle a little bit. Carbonation even drug large chunks of sediment to the surface. In the snifter, head was four fingers high, white, and very soapy/fluffy. Body is a cloudy orangish-yellow with tons of gray, doo-doo-like sediment at the bottom. Lots of lace. Nice 1/4 inch retained head forms after the first swirl.

Smell: Green apple, burnt sugar, Belgian yeast, doughy malts, spices, and red currants (not in that order). Smells a bit champagne-like.

Taste: Sugar and candy, tart berries, green apple, doughy malts, and stinging alcohol. Sour yeast strain also detected. The stinging alcohol may be due to the fact that I don't drink many barleywines... or possibly this beer is bad?

Mouthfeel: Highly carbonated and very hot and dry. Tons of warming in the tummy.

Drinkability: Too hot to handle! Had a tough time finishing this one, but maybe I'm just not used to barleywines. Then again, maybe this one is spoiled. I don't know, but this was a very tough drink.

Overly sweet