Matt | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Brewed using two Munich malts, two Smoked malts and two types of Belgian candy sugar. It was aged in 33 year old Bourbon barrels and Apple Eau de Vie barrels for about one year.

First release: February 2009 (a.k.a. 'Bottleworks X')
Second release: November 2010
Third release: October 2013

Added by msubulldog25 on 01-27-2009

#215

Bottle was infected. Had one sip and drain pour the rest.

1.42/5  rDev -68%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

This was just horrible. My name is Matt and I am embarrassed. Too much smoke and not enough other flavors coming through.

1.96/5  rDev -55.9%

2.47/5  rDev -44.4%

Just opened my Bottlewrks X Matt - about 2 years old now.

A - looks great. Pours dark, nice bubbly head, not lacing, but still looks great.

S - wow, from a foot away, this beers is noticeable. Very strong bourbon smell in the nose. Dark fruits, and burnt sugar finish the wiff, pleasantly.

T - The fruity sweetness is rather overpowering. Tastes a little past it's prime. The oak is noticeable, but the fruit flavors dominate, like dark plum. I'm a little disappointed, with such a great smelling beer, I expected more. It's not a good tasting beer. It's terrible. It could be improperly aged, it could in fact just not age well, or just be a bad beer. I don't know which of the above, I just know it was not good.

M - very thin. Could use more carbonation, and body. For Barrel Aged beers, this is the low end of the spectrum for mouthfeel. It's a shame.

D - ah, not that good. The beer is a tease. It smells so good and inviting. The taste is just a fruity mess. It's overly sweet, and not enough barrel to help balance it out. The beer was practically a drainpour, but I can manage a 4 ounce serving.

O - well, I'm glad to say I have ticked this bad boy, and the Bottleworks version of it at that. I just expected more from it. People talk up a lot of beers, and this just adds to the list of disappointments. Oh well, it was worth trying.

2.5/5  rDev -43.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2010 vintage. Strongly disliked it. Smokey with off flavors. Flat as usual with HotD.

2.63/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 3

I'm a tobacco chewer and this is like having a chew. Strong tobacco character, looks great, smells ok. Tastes like a chew spitter. Not good.

2.74/5  rDev -38.3%

2.75/5  rDev -38.1%

2.75/5  rDev -38.1%

I sadly did not enjoy this beer. I found it way too overpowering.

3.12/5  rDev -29.7%

Shared the night before ebf by Joe, with the renegades of funk. It pours a very dark brown with no head except for some bubbles on the side.

The aroma is very strong and includes a touch of alcohol. It has some strong fruit notes from the yeast as well as some apple character from the barrels. This apple character dominates and has a roasty malt back. Slight smoke, but I didn't seem to pick it up as much as the others did.

The taste is hot with a boozy, burning finish. It has some brandy like warmth to it. Slight cherry like acidity as well as licorice, maple, and some subtle smoke. On the palate, its very lowly carbonated and has a syrupy, liqueur type consistency, and an over the top burn from the alcohol. I didn't feel like finishing my sample, so I shared it with people who appreciated it more.

3.16/5  rDev -28.8%

12oz bottle (2010 release) poured into a Brooklyn snifter.

A - Bottle opens with a very mild pop...pours into the glass a rather dark brown color with traces of amber when held to the light. Looks to be nearly still in the glass...not a trace of head forms...appears on the thick and syrupy side.

S - Quite sweet on the nose, syrupy and buttery toffee, caramel and molasses, marshmallows...big shot of straight booze, sweet vanilla, dark fruits, brandy.

T - Yep, super sweet almost coating the lips in various sugars - honey, toffee, caramel, simple syrup. Smokey malt creeps in to the sweetness giving a little bit of balance to this. Lightly hoppy bittered but doesn't really stand up to the sugars in here. There is a mild touch of alcohol warmth that doesn't match the intensity found in the aroma. For 11.5% it is hidden quite well. The sweetness is unstoppable...this really is a bit much for me. I've had some unfermented worts that weren't this sweet.

M - Pretty much completely still. Thinner than I would expect, but manages to be about medium in body. Mt teeth hurt from the intense sugars here. Smokey aspects round out the finish behind all of the big malty sweet flavors, but really come far from what I'd call balance.

O - Well, I know I'm really supposed to like this beer a lot, but it just doesn't work for me. This is as slow a sipper as there can be. This would work much better in a small, small serving. It is fairly complex with a host of sugary sweet flavors to it, but it is just too overpowering for its own good. I'm getting thru the bottle but it is slow going. I would not call this one of my favorite American Strong Ales.

3.18/5  rDev -28.4%

Perhaps this style isn't exactly my thing, or the bottle was off, but i did not enjoy this. Very strong and overly sweet. Molten malt body with very little hop presence. Barrel notes overpowering.

3.18/5  rDev -28.4%

2009 Bottle

A: Poured a deep brown with very light carbonation, small dirty white cap with some bubbles

S: Dark fruits, toffee, caramel, chocolate, booze, Earth and wood

T: Had some dark fruits, booze, chocolate, sweetness, caramel, candy even, heavy smoke and faded bourbon

M: A full body beer that was flat as can be

O: Meh

3.2/5  rDev -27.9%

Saved this one for my 200th review.

2009 Bottleworks X bottle.

12oz bottle poured into my Hair of the Dog Tulip.

A - Dark brown, with reddish edges, only a few large dark tan bubbles form on one side.

S - Old fruit, and burnt sugar.

T - Bitter fruit, bad candy, and old leather.

D - No carbonation at all, totally flat.

O - I love HotD, but I was let down with this one.

3.24/5  rDev -27%

3.32/5  rDev -25.2%

I forgot about this one for a while.

Pours sludgy and brown without a single damn bubble. This beer has serious legs.

Smells incredible, so rich and deep. Oakey apple brandy, burnt sugar, vanilla, raisin, tobacco, leather. The taste is the same, but just too damn much of everything, including alcohol. Not overpowering, but just a bit much. There seems to be a competition to see which flavor can sting my tongue the most. Definitely a sipping beer, as even a small gulp burns my throat and numbs my lips.

Carbonation probably would have done this beer wonders, but it is just barely there. And that is why I wish I hadn't traded something awesome for it.

Now I'm going to drink a Cigar City BA Milk Porter by myself and forget about it. Literally.

Matt from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room