Matt | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

MattMatt

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States | website

Style: American Strong Ale

Brewed using two Munich malts, two Smoked malts and two types of Belgian candy sugar. It was aged in 33 year old Bourbon barrels and Apple Eau de Vie barrels for about one year.

First release: February 2009 (a.k.a. 'Bottleworks X')
Second release: November 2010
Third release: October 2013

Added by msubulldog25 on 01-27-2009

Reviews: 238 | Ratings: 819
3.61/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to KickInTheChalice for sharing this one. 2010 version.

Pours a deep, nearly soy sauce brown with no head despite a vigorous pour.

Nose is overwhelmed by apple brandy. A bit of sweet caramel malt underneath. Possibly a hint of smoke - but not prominant.

Taste is interesting - definitely get a lot of wood - however the taste reminds me of spruce or possibly pine. Adding to the palate are rich malty caramel sugars and dark fruits. Finish is just a bit boozy. The lack of carbonation hurts the flavor - it's still interesting and subtle, but would be vastly improved with some creamy carbonation.

Moutfeel is dissapointing. A bit thin and completely flat.

Overall - wish I had had this on draft. It's pretty tasty, but not as good as I'd expected.

4.76/5  rDev +7.7%

Yet another enormous thanks to Greg for this. 3 oz. poured into a FFF Teku on June 9th, 2012.

A - Pours quite flat ala cherry Adam FtW without the red hues, dark brown coloring is akin to regular Adam.

S - This is a bit mellow initially. Predominantly bourbon barrel in the nose, lesser dark fruit, a touch of brandy, candied sugar. After a strong swirl near room temp you can pull a bit of the sweet apple cider note and get a pretty unique mix.

T - Front to mid palate is old ale, Adam-like with roasted malt grains, light espresso, dark chocolate, and caramel. Mid to rear is rather amazing bourbon barrel toasted oak that transitions into an undeniable apple eu di vie barrel quality. The backend apple is more like a golden apple variant, it's more hearty and not really tart. The dark chocolate pushes through the full palate to a lingering bitter aftertaste.

M - Medium body, low carbonation almost identical to Adam FtW, great finish of brandy barrel and oak tannins.

D - Stellar stuff, one of the greatest back palate finishes I can remember. Great barrel combination that makes this memorable and worthwhile.

Edit - I was fortunate enough to revisit this in the form of the new 2013 release. I must applaud Allan, this is absolutely the same stellar brew and merits a slight increase in the ratings for consistency.

3.12/5  rDev -29.4%

Shared the night before ebf by Joe, with the renegades of funk. It pours a very dark brown with no head except for some bubbles on the side.

The aroma is very strong and includes a touch of alcohol. It has some strong fruit notes from the yeast as well as some apple character from the barrels. This apple character dominates and has a roasty malt back. Slight smoke, but I didn't seem to pick it up as much as the others did.

The taste is hot with a boozy, burning finish. It has some brandy like warmth to it. Slight cherry like acidity as well as licorice, maple, and some subtle smoke. On the palate, its very lowly carbonated and has a syrupy, liqueur type consistency, and an over the top burn from the alcohol. I didn't feel like finishing my sample, so I shared it with people who appreciated it more.

4.42/5  rDev 0%

Bottle shared by Miketd. Thanks Mike for sharing this one! Pours black with no head. Aromas are complex with oak, vanilla, brown sugar, and some dark fruit. Heavy mouthfeel with little carbonation. Flavor is wood, wine, apple, candi sugar sweetness, licorice, and finishes with some alcohol. A very nice brew and worth the hype. Thanks Mike for sharing!

4.57/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2013 bottle poured into a teku.

L: Dark brown and caramel hues with an exceedingly thin sandy head and minimal retention
S: Scotch, dark fruits, tobacco, and hints of leather-bound books
T: Oddly complex and varied taste profile that ranges from granny smith apples to mocha coffee to toasted walnuts and butterscotch
F: Thick and full mouthfeel with minimal carbonation
O: This was an exceptional strong ale with an interesting flavor profile with incredible complexity. Honestly this is a phenomenal beer to pour, kickback and then ruminate while reflecting on life - excellent sipper here.

4.1/5  rDev -7.2%

(courtesy of Daknole!). Pours near black with great aroma of bourbon and some fruit. Taste was sweet with noticeable alcohol. Full bodied and delicious! Thanks Dak! This was a real treat. I'd been wanting to try this for quite a while and Dak comes through.

3.54/5  rDev -19.9%

12 ounce bottle split with airohead2001. 2010 version.

A: Dark, dark brown in color with almost no head. A vigorous pour yielded about 12 bubbles total. There's not even a crown after 1 minute.

S: The smell has a lot of caramel followed by a little cinnamon and a little apple. There's a touch of tobacco smokiness at the finish mixed with a little alcohol.

T: There's a lot going on in the flavor profile here. The start is quite sweet caramel apple. In a strange way the middle is a mix of brown sugar type sweetness and, barrel aging, and smoky malts impart a barbeque sauce style flavor in the middle. The finish lends itself more toward the smoked oak with some pear in there as well.

M: I would have liked a little more carbonation, The viscosity was appropriate.

O: Overall this is a very unique beer. I enjoyed the originality of it, but I'm doubt I will seek it out again.

4.36/5  rDev -1.4%

Enjoyed this brew with my buddy Jimmy2282. Thanks again buddy.

A: Well, not really a looker. Am extremely thin head formed, but dissipated almost immediately atop this reddish brown brew. Yup, that about covers it.

S: Loads of dark fruit mix beautifully with the oak and bourbon notes from the aging. Malty backbone presents itself and is accompanied with a warm boozy scent. My mouth is watering.

T: Very similar to the smell although I was able to detect more caramel and toffee along with those dark fruits. Bourbon flavors with vanilla are present, but by no mean overwhelm the other flavors.

M: Mild carbonation in the medium/heavy brew, slight burning as the brew passes down your throat. Becomes more prominent as the beer warms.

O: One fantastic brew that I wish came in a bigger bottle. Hint, Hint!

4.38/5  rDev -0.9%

Big thanks to my great friend Eric(turdfurgison) for this.

A: Pours dark brown with two quarters of tan head.

S: Wow! Roasted malt, bourbon and a hint of apple. I really get the brandy like aromas.

S: Sweet roasted malt, bourbon and smoked malt hit almost simultaneously followed closely by the apple brandy flavors. The finish is burnt sugar and raisin. And yea it's boozy, but I like the alcohol heat in this beer. As it warms the chocolate flavors really come out.

M: Thick body that is slick on the tongue. Lower then average carbonation.

O: I'm a wine guy as well, so I love a beer that reminds me of a fine port or brandy. Love this beer. A sipper for sure. Thanks again Eric!

4.41/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to olympuszymurgus for opening this at a recent tasting. '10 bottle.

A- Pours a murky brown with a thin off white head that leaving minimal lacing. Like most HotD brews, this isn't the prettiest girl at the ball.

S- Amazingly complex with notes of dark chocolate, camp fire, slightly unripened apples, roasted malt, peat, caramel, burnt sugar, bourbon and a hint of soy.

T- The taste follows the aroma with a great deal of complexity without any flavor being dominant. Plenty of earthiness with smoke, wood and peat followed by burnt sugar, apples, leather, roasted malt, bourbon, caramel, soy sauce, and some booze.

M- Light carbonation with a thick and full mouthfeel. Some heat at the finish.

O- One of the best I've had from HotD. An incredible beer to sip and savor.

4.42/5  rDev 0%

This is a special one for me. I have to thank my buddy Aaron for hooking me up with this bottle. I am enjoying this bottle on my son Matt's first birthday. I started looking for this bottle in October and Aaron came through big time. I poured the 12oz bottle into my DFH snifter to find a nice dark, deep, brown body. I had no head and no carbonation.

The aroma was complex, the dried fruits really stood out on this one, also with some bourbon, vanilla, caramel, and plums. A great smelling beer.

The taste was as complex as the nose, and was just exceptional. The great thing about this beer is the balance. With so much going on one flavor doesn't dominate the rest, you can really taste the bourbon, dried fruits, caramel, vanilla, etc.

This was a smooth, smooth beer to drink. The carbonation was extremely light. This one is defiantly one to take on slowly and enjoy sip by sip.

4.59/5  rDev +3.8%

Huge thanks to Derek (hoppymeal) for throwing this in as an extra. Derek, you're probably getting tired of all of the praise you get on here, but you are a class act my friend.

This beer looks interesting, very stout like. A little bit thin and very oily. I'd prefer a head, but I think the lack thereof is due in part to some missing carbonation. I won't hold it against this one.

The scent and taste on this are near world class. There's this funky milkiness that adds to the awesomeness of this one. There's a beautiful cola taste... Alright, I need to cut to the chase. There's in an incredibly unique smokey characteristic that is (excuse my ebonics) da bomb. The bourbon notes are phenomenal, truely magnificent. So smooth with that crunchy caramel flavor. Lovely vanilla, and light apple brandy tastes make this beer both one of a kind and amazing. I wish I had more.

4.92/5  rDev +11.3%

I first met ramnuts when I ordered a case of Sculpin and posted a thread in the North West forum inquiring "who in Portland wanted a couple bottles at cost". He was actually the first local BA to respond to the thread and the only one to give me his address to deliver the bottles. I showed up at his house with a couple bottles in hand and expected $20. He in turn gave me the $20 and a bottle each of '09 Doggie Claws and Bottleworks X Matt. My reaction was something to the tune of "no...don't...stop...murder", and proceeded to take both bottles home with me. My original plan was to review Matt as my 100th. The weekend after I hit my 99th review Cascade had Bourbonic Plague and Vlad the Imp Aler on tap. There went the whole 100th review reserved for Matt and I then planned on using it for my 200th review. Today while I was waiting in the line outside HotD for the release of the new vintage of Matt with ramnuts and my wife TulipSnifter, I decided to crack the different vintages side by side and tap out some reviews. So all back story aside, thanks Frank. Misty and I loved the hell out of our little vertical tasting tonight. On to some reviews!

Bottleworks X

A: Deep plum-brown with a small ring of sandstone froth and little bit of wispy bubbles across the cap greet me upon the pour. No lacing but none is expected. 4.5/5

S: My wife and I just went to Clear Creek Distillery yesterday and sampled their Eau de Vie which was one of the barrels Matt was aged in. I believe because of this, I can better pull out the essence of the fruit spirit. Its a rather sweet yet clean apple heat that really shines in this beer. Classic Bourbon is easily quaffable as well. Rich tobacco and leather are all over this. Fantastic. 5/5

T: Milk chocolate, more of the sweet apple heat, a lovely touch of campfire toasted marshmallow, and a hint of vanilla are all the flavors that I can easily identify coming through the rich, complex layers. The finish is long and sexy. Wow...oh...wow! This is THE definition of catching lightning in a bottle. Exquisite. 5/5

M: We have a touch of carbonation which is just enough to prickle up this super silky liqueur like drink. Residual sugars make this a bit of a sticky finisher but I do not mind in the slightest. 4.5/5

D: Simply mind blowing how easy this is to drink. I have to make a concerted effort not to drink this too fast. Its really hard not to simply drink right through my six ounces and not bother with a review. This is without a doubt my favorite HotD beer to come out of a bottle to date. Brilliant. 5/5

2010

A: This has the look of a muddied french pressed coffee with cantaloupe highlights. Those highlights extend to the thicker, darker, and denser "glass ring" of foam (when compared to the BWX) that sits above the body. Very good looking although different from its older vintaged patriarch. 4/5

S: There exists more of the aggressive bourbon essence in this beer. The leather is still there but the Apple Eau de Vie is so much harder to pick out. Still very nice. 4.5/5

T: There's the sweet apple I was looking for! Along with the apple is the unmistakable heat from the bourbon barrel as well as the wood. Sweet chocolate and vanilla are almost cloyingly strong. Hopefully a little time will help sort out the flavors better similar to BWX because right now, they're not as distinct. Still quite good. 4/5

M: Moderate feel is not as heavy as expected. A surprising amount of carbonation livens this up on the palate. Again this is a slightly sticky beer...but again I'm not complaining! 4/5

D: What an insanely wonderful beer! I'm sitting on some more for a later date. If this turns into what the BWX vintage did, its an intoxicating treat to look forward too and watch progress! If you can get only one bottle of HotD beer, Matt is the one! Try it if you can. 5/5

4.72/5  rDev +6.8%

Finally had to crack one open...
A: Deep mahogany with hints of murky red at edges. Decent head for HotD, settling into a haze of fine bubbles on the surface.
S: Complex. Ripe apple, smoke, bourbon and barrel notes, tobacco leaf, continually unfolding.
T: Rich barrel notes with the bourbon a mild component. Smoke and tobacco, raisin, dates, some faint dried apple, etc. Very complex and delicious.
M: Thick but not cloying. The light carbonation refreshes as it coats.
D: I would love the opportunity and excuse to crack a couple or few of these. Alas, far too limited.

A great brew. Worthy of the hype and the HotD label. Complex and certainly to be savored.

4.7/5  rDev +6.3%

Split a 12 oz bottle 3 ways, poured into red wine glasses. The bottleworks X batch. Reviewed evening of 3/20/2011.

Ar: Smoky, but more pleasant than other smoky beers (significantly less meaty), rich and dark, roasted spicy wood, pine smoke qualities, apple sweetness, smoked evergreen

Ap: beautiful maroon/mahogany brown, low head, clear

T: Smoked wood, slightly more meaty than aroma but still less than any other smoky beer i've had, sweet rich apple, heavy dark sweetness, spicy wood, milder at first, becomes stronger/much better with warmth, very smooth bourbon, full, difficult to review, everything works very well together and individual characters are tough to pick apart, chocolate, heavy dark fruit sugar, long aftertaste, pine/smoke milder than in aroma, not caramelly, lingering apple liquor, smooth and not cloying, smoke helps the balance, very smooth charred wood

M: Full, low carbonation, clean long end, rich and very smooth, well balanced, a great sipping beer

O: Delicious, i like the aroma better than the taste, i really like the evergreen smoke notes

4.92/5  rDev +11.3%

Poured into a snifter, revealing luscious ruby and chocolate brown body under a thin film, some lacing. Looks pretty good for a strong ale. Smells absolutely delicious with a strong bourbon, caramel and slight creamy chocolate presence. Some pecans, calvados and toasted coconut as well. Really nice smells that go very well together.

Tastes fruity, smoky and slightly toasted with a nice vanilla oak richness to the malt. Sweet up front with vanilla and cacao nib. Clean lingering finish of date molasses. Boy do I like the taste! Perfect as an after dinner sipper or something to enjoy by the fire after a romp in the snow. Nice warmth after a couple sips but the alcohol is not at all assaulting. Mouthfeel is smooth with just a kiss of dryness in the middle, medium bodied and not thin but not syrupy. Not really carbonated, drinks more like a sweet digestif.

Overall I really enjoy this one. Wish I had a whole bunch of them.

3.84/5  rDev -13.1%

12 ounce bottle in a snifter. Pour is dark opaque brown with zero head. The liquid is viscous enough to cling nicely to the sides of my glass though. The noise features quite a bit of smoke. In the background I can pick out some oak, tobacco, and a bit of the apple brandy. The flavor is pretty complex, and I can easily say that I've never tasted anything quite like it. You get plenty of smoke, smooth oaky vanilla, and wonderful apple brandy. The mouthfeel is full and viscus, but for the most part flat. Matt is great, but I really with he was carbonated.

4.8/5  rDev +8.6%

Absolutely stunning product.

Per most HotD BA releases there is very minimal carbonation, but there is a very slight, soft fiz that works very well. Pours out very dark brown. Has the appearance of a dark old ale.

Fantastic aroma. Apple brandy, bourbon, rich sweet smoke, dark malt, old ale musty quality - like an attic and leather. It is very rich and drier.

The palate follows suit and the finish is strong. Great balance of bitter and sweet. Get the nice apple brandy and bourbon whiskey booze. Has the great old ale quality, smoke, some dark wood and leather.

With adam from the wood as the best HotD beer I've had, and one of my favorites of all time. 94

4.66/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2008 vintage opened in 2015

Appearance – Pours a very dark brownish black color, with almost no head, except a light ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell – Bourbon, molasses, smoke, and apple.

Taste – A nice sweet bourbon flavor, with molasses and vanilla.

Mouthfeel – The alcohol was not hidden at all, so the 11.5%abv felt about right.

Drinkability – Overall, this was a really good beer.  Perhaps a little flat.

4.68/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage drank in a snifter 4/12/2016

L-rich and dark, dark brown with a minimal head and thick lacing

S-scotch, caramel, and a little sweet booze. The Belgian candy sugar is noticeable here for sure.

T-this is where it becomes exceptional. super complex. this mainly is the rating at about room temperature because it kept getting so much better as it warmed that i saved most of it after about sitting 45 minutes. Smooth apple brandy mixed with rich caramel, bourbon, oak, some fig and other dark fruits as well.

F-smooth, no heat, minimal booze. goes down really nice. the richness doesn't make it super drinkable but i wouldn't want that in this type either. really enjoyable

O-a highly unique and complex beer that is done about as well as I could imagine. Really exceptional. The apple brandy barrel does overpower the bourbon barrel but who doesn't love apple brandy?! Not as much smoke as expected but that's nitpicking. This is exactly what I want in a barrel aged strong ale.

3.76/5  rDev -14.9%

Bottleworks X February 2009

Pours flat, mahogany on the edges, opaque brownish black in the center with thin wisps of bubbles on top reminiscent of wood grain

Smells of smoke, hotdogs, cured meat. If I really reach I get vanilla, oak. Vanilla and apple come forward with warmth

Smoke, apples, vanilla, charred oak. Significantly better as it warms. Rich and sweet malt character, yet it finishes dry on the palate with just the charred barrel character lingering. Pretty complex.

Rich and velvety on the palate. Not too heavy. Minimal but acceptable carbonation.

This beer was pretty off putting to me initially, but as it came to room temp it really opened up. Tasty beer. I enjoyed the bottle of the new batch more. Not sure if it's the age or batch variation.

4.47/5  rDev +1.1%

A: Dark rudy brown. Pours pretty flat and looks relatively thick. Not a super attractive looking beer.

S: Gorgeous. Wonderfully nice tart apple liqueur. Nice oaky aromas, with tons of dark fruit. Not nearly as smoky as the regular Adam, which I like given the other characteristics.

T/M: Dark fruit and apple flavors are prominent. This really tastes like a liqueur to me, with lots of mouth-coating acidity and sugar. Nice big caramel malt backbone. Full-bodied. This is an awesome beer.

D: Despite the abv and intensity of the flavors this is a very drinkable beer for me. I'm glad they put this in 12oz. bottle, though

4.44/5  rDev +0.5%

Second batch, 2010, opened on March 24, 2011. I originally planned on holding onto this for some time since it was hot at a tasting in January, but I was lucky enough to receive a second as an extra from a very generous BA.

The color of fine wood, Matt pours a dark auburn or sienna with, as expected, almost no head or lacing.

A beautiful, decadent nose. Sweetened cocoa, molasses, and a tiny bit of smoked malts give way to bright green apple brandy, sherry, and whiskey. While the description is a mess, Matt isn't. It's rich and dark with wonderful green apple and dark fruit complementing all the best things about Adam - tobacco, earth, and sweet molasses.

Trying to describe this one is exhausting. It opens sweetly, with green apple and a stronger whiskey note on the front of the palate. Tons of toffee, molasses, and candied sugar join mid-palate, along with some balancing leathery maltiness and peat. Amazingly, Matt somehow manages to avoid being cloying, drying out mid-to-late palate. I remember this one being "hot," but, truth be told, it's warming without being distractingly boozy.

Low carbonation, sticky and syrupy, like a liqueur. It feels big.

What a beer, truly unlike any I've had before. This is probably my favorite barrel-aged HotD offering to date. It's not without its flaws, but it's a decadent beer fit for commemorating whatever you have worth commemorating. Truth be told, I struggled to finish the bottle - it's a bit cloying, rich and drinks hot enough to warrant splitting.

4.77/5  rDev +7.9%

12oz bottle, 2010 batch poured into snifter at Brouwer's on 4/14/11

A: Pours a very dark brown with no visible carbonation or head. Looks nice and thick with some dark red hues through the edges when swirled in my glass.

S: Big sweet bourbony and malty aromas, some apple and dark fruit as well, perhaps dates and some alcohol.

T: This is absolutely fantastic. Incredibly smooth, a hint of smokiness with smooth bourbon, dark fruit and sweet apple from the Eau de Vie barrels. Very little heat is detectable for an 11.5% barrel aged strong ale. The flavors combine ridiculously well with each other, this is a true masterpiece of a brew. Definitely way up there, one of my all time favorites.

M: Amazingly creamy and smooth. A slight tingle on my tongue from the little bit of carbonation that is in here. The slightly syrupy mouthfeel coats my entire mouth with tons of great flavors that linger for a very long time. Near perfect.

O: Incredible, so many great distinct flavors that combine in total harmony with one another. Every little sip goes a very long way, packing gobs of delicious flavors. Great warming feel in my stomach as I savor each sip. I love this beer. I would definitely drink a glass of this before going to sleep every night if I could. This is heaven in a glass, what more can be said? Please keep brewing this Alan, I want more!

4.59/5  rDev +3.8%

12 oz bottle from the November 2010 release. A huge thanks to waltersrj for making this happen!

Pours a deep reddish brown with no head but some nice legs as I swirl it around in my glass.

Aroma is amazing and quite complex. I am getting some dark fruits, bourbon, smoke, apples, and a good bit of alcohol.

Taste starts off with some sweet dark fruits and oak then moves on to more dark fruit sweetness and smoke, and finishes quite smoky.

Mouthfeel is thick and coats the whole mouth. There is next to no carbonation, but it's not really needed. This is incredibly smooth. Definitely a sipper and a challenging beer, almost more of a spirit than a beer. Very nice and I hope to be able to try it again someday.

Matt from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room