Bourbon Fred From The Wood | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Bourbon Fred From The WoodBourbon Fred From The Wood

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: American Strong Ale

Bottles (12 oz) released November 2011
Batch 2 bottles (12oz) released July 2012.

Added by jdense on 07-25-2009

firstprev| 401-425 | 426-450 | 451-475  | next → last
4.67/5  rDev +18.2%

I had originally had this on tap at the 2009 HotD Open House during OBF. It was great to revisit this now that it's back on at the new tasting room. It's has to be one of the best bourbon aged beers I have had.

Poured a hazy orange with a white head. Strong bourbon aroma with noticeable alcohol and a nutty, vanilla, pastry character. Smooth and subtly carbonated palate. Big oak flavors with a boozy bourbon quality. The bourbon was very strong but also delicate. Light fruits like apple and low on the hop bitterness. A vanilla, bourbon finish.

Imagine dropping a shot of bourbon into 12 ounces of Fred... Pure deliciousness.

4.72/5  rDev +19.5%

Had this one on tap twice over the past week at the HotD tasting room.

Served in a 12 ounce tulip, this beer arrives a beautiful golden orange with a pillowy white head of very fine bubbles. As the head subsides it leaves nice lacing on the glass.

The nose on this beer is bold and decadent. Sweet smelling with generous quantities of cinnamon and molasses; you know this is going to be a big beer!

The taste is fantastic! I perceive a lot of cinnamon like the nose would suggest, but also toffee, vanilla, bourbon, and honey... this sort of reminds me of a honey topped cinnamon sticky bun. Reading my description might make one think this is a syrupy-sweet, but it's not. Sweet, yes, but not cloying like so many other beers out there. Very tasty, and exceptionally enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is really nice. This is a big beer, and I think big beers should feel like big beers. This one does, but the carbonation is just perfect, which helps lighten the mouthfeel of a beer that might otherwise feel a little heavy. Bourbon Fred from the Wood leaves the mouth softly coated, and the booze, although not immediately detectable, leaves a lingering warmth in the throat.

Drinkability is hard for me to rate for a beer of this style and caliber. If I ever see this on tap again, I will never hesitate to order it. It tastes and feels perfect for what it is. It's not a beer I'd order more than one of in a sitting though, but I don't think this is the kind of beer that one should expect to be able to drink a bunch of, so with style in mind, I can't see docking any points for that.

NOTE: The brewery lists this beer at 12% ABV, despite the current listing here on BA of 10%.

4.06/5  rDev +2.8%

Poured into a tulip at Hair of the Dog, this bad boy comes in deep slightly cloudy toffee with a very minimal wispy white head. I can't even begin to explain how excited that little bit of head makes me! The promise of carbonation in a massive Hair of the Dog beer thrills me to no end! The thin spotty lacing that shows up is a pleasant surprise. Anything resembling lace is not expected in a beer this big. Off to a great start!

When I reviewed regular Fred from the Wood, I commented on how wonderful the huge hit of coconut was in the aroma. I miss it in the Bourbon version, but the pure top shelf Kentucky Bourbon aroma is quite nice in its own right. Beyond the big liquor smell, I can't really pick up on anything else other than a little wood but even that is expected in the Kentucky spirit.

It was served chilled so it took a little palming of the glass to warm up. Once it did, more than just the raw heat of the Bourbon came out. BFFTW is an extremely sweet beer. Sugar Daddies, cocoa nibs, burnt toast, and a touch of vanilla compliment the liquor from which the namesake comes.

What an extremely viscous and chewy beer. If not for the minimal carbonation, this would be hard to finish a glass of. Should this ever see the inside of a bottle, I hope it carbonates to this level. Very good on tap.

Honestly I preferred regular FFTW to the Bourbon version. This comes in a little more one dimensional and not as complex. Than again, that's all the more reason to bottle this beer and give it time to develop more character. That being said, even at the $7.50 price per 12 ounce pour in the tasting room I would say that this is worth every penny. Nobody makes beer exactly like Alan Sprints. His beers are truly world class and deserve the respect they receive. Unique, original, and delicious, I will be buying bottles of this for further development if given the opportunity.

4.2/5  rDev +6.3%

Appearance: light brown and murky. It has great lacing.
Smell: I smell bourbon.
Taste: I taste bourbon.
Mouth feel: it has light carbonation but is still a little syrupy.
Drink Ability: Alcohol bomb! It tastes like sweet bourbon but I kind of dig it. It's ABV of 11.5 but t's pretty drinkable.

4.57/5  rDev +15.7%

On tap at HOTD courtesy to Alan and his helpers at OBF Friday.

A - Poured mahogany wth a 1 fingered off-white head. Dissipated moderately fast leaving little lacing.

S - Notes of bourbon, chocolate, toffee, and followed by lemon-like esters or scents from the oak.

T - Notes of bourbon, chocolate and toffee.

M - Full-bodied and well-balanced.

D - Perfect. If you can get your hands on this one in 9 months, please do so. The leather and dark roast flavors in the typical Fred have been replaced by sweet bourbony goodness.

firstprev| 401-425 | 426-450 | 451-475  | next → last
Bourbon Fred From The Wood from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room