Peach Fred | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: American Strong Ale

"Aged in Bourbon barrels with Baird Family farms peaches for 17 months."

Added by TulipSnifter on 11-20-2010

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last

1.03/5  rDev -66.3%

Taster at HotD taproom.

A: Pours a hazy, golden orange color with strands floating in it. It looks kind of gross. No carbonation, at least not when it arrived.

S: Boozy! Acetone infested with peach syrup, sherry-like oxidation, vanilla, oak. Oh, man.

T: Oh, man. Boozy. Syrupy. Unpleasantly sweet peach flavor with sherry-like oxidation notes; it's almost like concentrated raisin juice or something. Caramel (could be the bourbon, I suppose) with vanilla and oak. Really liqueur-like, but not in a way I found palatable or appealing.

M: Oh! Man! Boozy! Syrupy! Unpleasantly sweet!

D: OH! MAN! I love HotD but I couldn't even finish 3 oz of this.

I was actually dissapointed when I ran out of the 3oz taster of this beer. I contemplated ordering a second one.

Appearance-There was only one or two small specks of peach in the beer so the apperance was actually quite appealing.

Smell-The peaches were there. Smelled sweet and ripe.

Taste- Lighter fred taste. Hint of peaches. Enough to make it interesting, not too much to make it taste like a fuzzy navel.

Mouthfeel- a little thinner than the plain Fred, probably because of the juice and acid from the peaches. It had the mouthfeel of a fine desert wine.

Drinkability- Pleasant. Would order it again.

3.37/5  rDev +10.1%

at the tasting room, 3 oz pours..
hazy, dirty blond with a little chunk, less than in my buddy Pat's glass. low carb.
nice aroma, some peach, some vanilla, alcohol, oak, and malt.
flavor is good, I really want it to be outstanding. I'm not sure what this beer is missing. Maybe the peaches just don't quite work with it, but I do really like the concept. It starts like a peach beer and finishes like a muted fred from the wood. I was hoping that the peach could add to the flavor, but it is merely a detractor at this point. Good, but not Fred from the Wood good.

2.64/5  rDev -13.7%

I think that this beer has a lot of potential I thought that the peach flavor was pretty good and that the flavor profile had potential, I found it a little hot currently and the floating chunks of peach in the glass didn't help the mouthfeel or appearance. The thing i will note though is that Wendy did mention this as she poured the sample. This was much better than the apricot fred and I think ultimately this will be a successful bear with some more aging and some filtering of the peaches.

3.69/5  rDev +20.6%

On tap at Hair of the Dog tasting room, served in the HOTD taster 3oz glass - special weekend at HOTD, gearing up for new bottles of Matt and Doggie Claws 2010

A - Golden orange color, floating bits of peach, which settle in the bottom of the taster glass

S - Hints of vanilla, dried fruits, a slight funkiness, and oak

T - sweet like caramel, a bit of vanilla bean, oak, peaches flavors are slight

M - Nice carbonation, a bit chewy, peach pulp is not a issue

D- This is really smooth, at 10%+ ABV wow! so smooth

2.07/5  rDev -32.4%

Saw on Twitter today that this was on tap at the tasting room. Had to try it. Taster glasses only for $3. Why not?!

A: Looks like Fred. Amber in color with no head, collar or lacing. Chunks and threads of peach veins are floating around. It actually looks kinda disgusting. 1.5/5

S: Diacetyl, brown liquor, and brown sugar. Again, not great. 2/5

T: Very bready and muddy. An unpleasant rotten flavor permeates this beer. ETOH is definitely there and unwelcome. A lifeless dullness lingers in the aftertaste and solidifies the fail. 2/5

M: Almost flat, thick, and semi dry. Not bad. 3/5

D: Not a very good beer. I will try it again if this is still in its "early stages" but currently do not wish to have another. 2/5

Appearance: Dark orange with bits of peach floating and later settling to the bottom of my taster.
Smell: I smell peaches and a little bit of wood.
Taste: the initial taste is quite savory, almost like freshly baked peach bread or a fruit cake but a little more salty. I have never had a peach baked good but this is what I think it would taste like.
Mouthfeel: This is a medium heavy body but finishes fairly dry.
Drinkability: It's very different and a little funky. It is an original but I don't think this is one of my favorites.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last