Ruth | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Read the review
RuthRuth

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States | website

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

A light and refreshing American Ale, made with pale malt and crystal hops. She was inspired by my Mother's Mother, Granny Ruth because of her love and support. Don't be Ruthless. Have one on Granny.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

20%

Reviews: 350 | Ratings: 637
4.88/5  rDev +37.5%

A – Ok now this was a serious looking brew. Poured a very hazy, so cloudy you could not even see through it, pale golden yellow. Tons and tons of sediment were apparent right from the beginning, swirling around in the glass and eventually coming to rest near the bottom. A large two inch head of sticky and foamy lace formed on the top and had great retention, lasting for almost a good few minutes before settling back down to earth and remaining at about a half an inch throughout the remainder of the session. A large amount of side glass lace was present and pretty much obscured the contents throughout. This was far and away the best looking pale ale I have ever seen. This just looked great in every way and earns a perfect 5 in look hands down.

S – The aroma was awesome. First thing I noticed was a sharp dose of citrus hops, however they were not so bitter, but rather sweet and floral with a very pleasing overall aura about it. Large amounts of yeast were also present and gave it a rather light, fruity feel. Small doeses of apples, appears and even some peaches were apparent as was a slightly fresh cut grass of sort. Very nice aroma and to be honest this just is not seeming like a pale ale to me.

T – Wow, what the crap is this. This is just fantastic. A huge full robust flavor just overwhelmed the taste buds from the first moment I sipped this. I was really blown away by the depth in the flavor here. Lots of floral hops, but not overbearing, kinda muted on the bitterness and replaced with more of a sugary sweetness. Lots of yeast in the flavor as well. Nice fruity flavors, but very light and full of apples and pears. A good backbone of light grain malts was present and really helped push everything else to the front. There was a touch of some lemon almost, something with a bit of a twang and very bright. That is the best way I can describe this one, very bright. It was honestly one of the best all around flavors I have ever had. Pretty much perfect.

M – Very full bodied. Lots of carbonation that hung around until the bitter end. This really helped to solidify the overall lively feeling of this. It had such a unique feel. On one had it was light in body, full of carbonation and had a nice crisp cut off, however it was still rather filling and had a definite presence to it. Very complex, but exceptionally good. I really cannot say anything bad here at all and yet another score of 5.

D – Now here, hands down this is a five. It was beyond sessionable. Truly a fantasic crafted brew. I could have had another and another and another. I just do not have words to accurately describe it. All of this packed into 4%abv? I just don’t see how. If I could I would buy a case and make sure it was in the fridge at all times, it was just that good.

Overall this has to be one of the best brews I have ever had. Just a complete package of sessionability and by far the best session ale I have ever had. I cannot compare it to anything else as it was just that good. I will be actively seeking out more of this, and that is something I very rarely do. I really have to have enough of this around for future enjoyment. Truly one of the best I have ever had.

4.53/5  rDev +27.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle: Poured a cloudy light yellow color ale with large pure white foamy head with perfect retention and excellent lacing. Aroma is a nice mix between some barley notes and well balanced citrus and grapefruit notes. Taste is very refreshing with loads of character without being too extreme. Body is full with limited filtration and perfect carbonation. I must admit to having been surprise by this one; I was expecting a easy drinking no character blond ale with found a well balance hops ale with a great malt backbone. I would definitely buy this more often it was available around town.

4.48/5  rDev +26.2%

Aroma:Tons of grapefruit in the nose. Maybe some sweet orange too.

Appearance:Slightly pale orange, tons of great head.

Taste:There's a nice sweetness to this beer upon first sip. The grapefruit hops are there in this beer in force. I can also get a hint of apricot or peach in the taste. The taste lingers through the midtaste, and then just lifts pleasantly to the aftertaste, and then it's gone.

Mouthfeel:This beer is nicely carbonated, and it has a nice hoppy twang.

Drinkability:This is a fantastic pale ale, easily sessionable, pleasant and refreshing.

4.44/5  rDev +25.1%

I had a bottle of this in my cellar that got overlooked for too long and was undrinkable when I finally opened it. I was happy to find a replacement during my most recent visit to 'Nokes.

From the bottle: "Ruth is a light and refreshing Pale Ale. Made with Organic Pilsner malt and whole Northwest hop flowers. She was inspired by my mother's mother, granny Ruth, because of her love and support. Don't be ruthless, have one for granny. Alan Sprints: Brewmaster"; "Hair of the Dog is dedicated to providing the beer lover with new and unusual beers styles. To learn more about Hair of the Dog Brewing Company and our beer styles, please visit us at [website]"; "Unfiltered Made in USA"; "Brave, Mazel, Lovable, Vibrant". Hey, how clever - "Alcohol Content 4.5% by Weight". Who measures ABW for public consumption? Pheh!

My mother's mother would NOT have been supportive of my drinking habits. My father's mother was less critical, however, and they are both gone now, so Kampai! to them. I could see a layer of lees at the bottom of the bottle, so I went with a gentle pour which yielded only wisps for head. Color was still an oh-so-slightly hazy orangish-yellow. Nose was filled with resinous citrus hops. It was like biting into an orange! Mouthfeel was medium and the taste was of fresh-squeezed orange juice. Holy ...! What hops were used for this beer?!? This was an APA? It would satisfy my hops jones even on those days when my monkey was chattering at his loudest (and there have been plenty of those). Finish was dry, hoppy, citrusy and very tasty. I may have to reload on this beer on my next trip.

Second pour: Going with the lees this time in the interest of Waste Not, Want Not.

On a side note, if you are ever having digestive difficulties, drink some lees - they will act like RotoRooter in your pesky digestive tract and clear out anything that may be left from that red meat bonanza you ate last week. Jaime Lee Curtis and her yogurt have nothing on beer lees!

Now, I had just under a finger of soapy, off-white head with good retention. Color was that of fresh-squeezed apple cider and it was just as murky. The nose was still orange-citrus, but now it had a mustiness to go along with it. Mouthfeel was slightly fuller, but the taste of orange was not diminished and perhaps even a little stronger. Finish was stunning in its dry intensity. I felt like the air had sucked out of my lungs and out of the room for a moment. It was like Paul Hogan's assessment of a knife - Whatever APA you may have had, THIS was an APA! Phew.

4.43/5  rDev +24.8%

12oz bottle, purchased from the Bier Stein, Eugene, OR.

I tried this on tap at the brewery a few months ago, and just saw a bottle in stock when i was picking up a different brew for a trade.
Like all HOTD brews, this one is bottle conditioned, and most likely relatively fresh, as it poured with an almost non-existent head. A golden honey colored, somewhat cloudy, as i poured the tasty bits in the glass as well. It pained me to not rank it any higher in the smell department, but it smelled a bit too yeasty for me. Imagine you've mixed up a batch of dough and are letting it rise. That's the smell i get. I bet this would age incredibly well. Tastes a bit fruity, mild grapefruit perhaps. Very Tasty indeed. Another delightful offering from HOTD. Also, the bottle says 4.5% abw.... does that work out to 5.6 abv? Not sure, but at either level,would make a great session beer, or a good drink with you afternoon lunch.

4.43/5  rDev +24.8%

Pours a hazy amber with hints of orange and a thin white head that disappears quickly. Aromas of floral hops with a very earthy background and some honey. Taste is of good earthy floral hop finely balanced with a crisp malt. It finishes with a resinous grassy taste. Mouthfeel is kind of sticky and thick for a pale ale.

This may not look or feel like a pale ale but I love the taste. It's like they put part of the vine in with the hop flowers. But the hops don't overpower the taste and make it an interesting counter balance to the malts. It's a very earthy taste that I just love and would be happy to have several more.

4.42/5  rDev +24.5%

This is my idea of refreshment.
Pours a cloudy golden body. Cloud-like head sticks around and leaves some intricate lacing patterns.
Floral hoppiness and fruit on the nose. A nice prelude to what is in store.
Big apricot sweetness on the taste buds. Maybe a touch of lemon and pineapple too. So fruity! Floral hops add a nice amount of bitterness toward the finish. The evident yeast seems to give Belgium a subtle nod. Very nice!
Goes down smooth and quick. Light bodied, but firm.
Like I said, very refreshing and interesting to boot.
My first stab at Hair of the Dog is a big winner. I am looking forward to the rest.

A Ruthian thanks to Bighuge for this tasty beer.

4.42/5  rDev +24.5%

12oz bottle from Abe's of Bethlehem poured into a pint glass... WAAAAY over carbonated and very difficult to pour. Enunciated "pffft" sound upon cracking the bottle. Aroma is vibrant, citrus, and clean. Taste is very balanced, refreshing, and possesses all the positive attributes of hop flavoring with very little bittering. Mouthfeel is very bubbly and crisp. Overall I think I got a super carbonated bottle... very refreshing!

Poured into pint glass.

Appearance: hazy, pale yellow/straw color. Pours 1 inch of thick fluffy white head that fades slowly.

Smell: Straw, hoppy, citrus, lemon, malt, earthy, grassy, lemon grass, slightly peppery, a bit piney.

Taste: malty, biscuit, lemon peel, grassy, earthy, honey, honey-lemon caugh drop, a hint of menthol.

Mouthfeel: light-medium bodied, moderate carbonation, creamy, zesty.

Overall: A very drinkable APA. The flavors are pretty complex for the style. Hops are subdued with very prevalent lemon and earthy notes.

4.4/5  rDev +23.9%

L: Pours a nice clear golden yellow-orange with a medium sized and medium bodied off-white colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet roasted and toasted malts, nice amounts of citrus-y and earthy hops at the end of the nose with a hint of something sweet used in the process.
T: Tastes of sweet roasted and toasted malts, some nice citrus-y and earthy hop flavors, hints of some lighter fruit sweetness and then some more hops. Hops are well blended with the malts which makes the taste that much better.
M: Very smooth, light bodied, perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable, this one was a joy to drink, it's a nice take on the Pale Ale.

4.4/5  rDev +23.9%

Picked up a single at the Bowery WF.

Poured from the bottle into a pub glass. A hard pour produces half an inch of white head, that quickly recedes to leave a collar with some misc bubble islands of retention.
This thing has a really appealing unfiltered look to it. It reminds me a bit of cider, its murky and exactly what I was looking for!
Color is a pale straw yellow with a brownish tinge.

Aroma is pretty fruit forward, apples, caramel, unfermented sugars, bready and a very minute spice hidden in the backround. Reminds me a bit of pumpkin pie spice.

Mouthfeel is so full of creamyness and full bodied depth, small carbonation, but not flat. This is amazing to me, especially for a beer this light in color. I havnt experienced this full of a body from this stlye before.

Taste is mildly sweet upfront, with yeasty bread, aroma follwoing into flavor with more of that apple cider flavor, slight spice and a peppery finish.
Hops are present, but bitter up only slightly in flavor. There are some floral hop flower like taste to this.

This is one very interesting beer. I wish I had more then one of them to further dissect it. Its no hop bomb apa, its somthing that reminds me of a lagered version almost. Very Hellas lager like actually. But its still very good.

4.37/5  rDev +23.1%

Purchased at bottle barn in Santa Rosa

A - Pours light golden with a 1 fingered white head. Dissipates moderately, leaving light lacing.

S - A bouquet of caramel, citrus and flowers.

T - Citrus, grapefruit, flowers, with light caramel and light bittering hops.

M - Full bodied and hop dominated. Neither sweet, nor dry. Exactly how a pale ale should finish.

D - Overall really good. Aside from the appearance, I am unsure on how to improve this ale and is really good for the style.

4.35/5  rDev +22.5%

Pours a nice slightly cloudy golden color, nice carbonation, nice foamy head which lasts a long time, nice islands/sticky lacing throughout the drink. The nose is citrusy, grapefruit, hops, sweet malts, and slight spices. The taste is hoppy, sweet, nicely bitter, and a slight dry finish. Medium body, well rounded brew. Very drinkable, I really enjoyed this APA, my first HOTD, nicely done.

4.34/5  rDev +22.3%

A- Hazy pale gold color with a small head that disappears into a fine film on top of the beverage. Small ropes of co2 fly to the surface and there is zero lacing.

S- Small notes of piny effervescence along with some interesting tropical aromas such as pineapple, and cocoa nut!

T/M- Very light bodied, but has a bit of heft as far as character is concerned....very enjoyable and a slight bit of carapil chewiness that has a distinct cloying malt coating for your taste buds! Again we note some tropical pings here and there like pineapple, cocoa nut and now some mango as well. huzzah!

D- This damn bottle was only 2.49 at whole foods glendale and with my employee discount, it was like a buck 70 so im going to have to say this is my new favorite session beer! Not only a 'session beer' but a beer that will turn heads of those who are interested in expanding their beer horizons.

4.33/5  rDev +22%

Hazy pale orange/straw color, tons of head; great, rocky, firm meringue-looking head; it's beautiful. Four full fingers that retains the entire length of the beer. Amazing yeast component on this. (As a note, I've noticed a few reviews talking about the lack of head and I think those bottles were likely old.)

Smells slighty saison-like in the funk aspect, sweet yeasty malt aroma, floral/citrus hops. A tad soapy, but very fresh and inviting.

Tastes of mildly sweet pale malts, apricots, fresh bready Belgian yeast flavors. The essence of floral hops and mild citrus come through from the nose, and there is some surprisingly forward yeast-spice. Whatever yeast strain they use, it's memorable. Almost cider-like qualities in the flavors. Very interesting beer.

Mouthfeel is smooth, pretty wild carbonation, helps carry the flavors all over the mouth. Champagne-like carbonation. Medium body.

This is a phenomenal beer. Try this is you ever have the chance. It's one of a kind.

4.32/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

App: Orange/gold, hazy (from lack of filtration?) Low head - can stand an aggressive pour.

Smell: Lychee, Slightly earthy, citrusy hops.

Taste: Pale malt slow forward, hops tartness grows with more malt sweetness, culminating in very well balanced mid and finish. Undertones of ripe pome fruit.

Mouthfeel: Highly effervescent feel without too much carbonation.

overall: Very quaffable, some complex aromas and character, but subtle enough that it can be ignored if desired. Cannot believe Bros gave it a 60. Unbelievable. How many times have they tried?

4.32/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured a hazy gold with around half an inch of quick-fading head. Surprisingly hoppy aroma for a pale ale with plenty of pine and orange.

Moderate carbonation and a full mouthfeel. Rich flavor with a healthy dose of grapefruit hops and just a touch of honey/apricot sweetness. Lingering pine bitterness on the finish.

Was expecting a much lighter, thinner brew -- this one really impressed me with the fullness of flavor. Now one of my favorite pale ales.

4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

Now this one I like. Pours out a cloudy amber with two fingers of very white small suds.
I smell lemon and grapefruit on top of the malts and the hops.
Tangerine and mango are the first tastes then the grapefruity hops come into play. Great stuff here.
Mouthfeel is a bit oily but drys out after the sweet mango leave the palate.
I like this beer and would drink a lot of them in a row if I had the chance.

4.29/5  rDev +20.8%

12 oz bottle without a freshness date. Pours a mostly hazy, light gold color with a fluffy head that is gone surprisingly quickly.

Clean cascade(?) driven, fresh hop aroma. Light malts, grainy...in fact, I would not be surprised if there were not any specialty malts here. Orange peel and grapefruit citrus are so very nice.

Biscuity malt with a touch of lightly toasted white bread is balanced by a citric hop presence. Hops battle for flavor and finishing supremacy with the bittering ultimately winning out. I like how the malts are light and slightly thin and let the hops shine through so very well. So much citrus...leaves the grass, pine and herbal hop aspects behind and tastes succulent. Very good brew, one of the better PAs I have had.

4.29/5  rDev +20.8%

Strong aroma is malty and yeasty with a pleasant fruity overtone. It pours a typical, but still attractive, clear amber with an OK white head that leaves a little lacing. Fortunately, appearance is this beer’s weakest point. Mouth-filling flavor has a firm malty core with fruity and grassy tones and hints of hops and - is that caramel? Yes, definitely caramel. Texture is smooth as silk, yet lively and fizzy, leaving a sweet, malty, fizzy and slightly tinny finish. Look for it, or trade for it!

4.27/5  rDev +20.3%

Cloudy, peachy-gold body topped with a bright white head that dies back readily, leaving only a thin collar and whispy foam across the top. The aroma is fairly bright with summer fruit, candy, a light yeastiness and some mild hop aroma. The body is medium-full, with a limited carbonation that makes for an astoundingly creamy, almost chewy, mouthfeel. The flavor grabs you with a jolt of hops up front, reveals a wide grainy maltiness and soft fruity yeatiness as it crosses the palate, then receeds with a sweet maltiness intertwined with hop bitterness. If you're not real familiar with crystal hops, some of that perceived "sweetness" is actually a hop flavor combined with the malt. As you progress through the glass, with the beer warming and your taste buds becoming "accustomed" to the hop, the malt character becomes more evident; and the finish takes on an almost licorice flavor of sticky malt sugars and very gentle hop spiciness. Definitely an unusual beer - one that grows on you throughout the glass. I've had beers that have tasted somewhat like this, but never one that was so well done. An enjoyable beer that is not really complex up front, but has a combination of malt, yeast and hop characteristics that makes it quite interesting. Surprisingly seductive.

4.27/5  rDev +20.3%

Bottle at Volo. Surely an APA must not last too long I said. But alas, this has held up amazingly well!!

Pours a hazed golden, thin white head, lace ring, standard. Smell is nice, sweet, caramel, floral, very malty, lots of citrus, hops are very well integrated. Taste is great, sweet and malty, caramel/honey, very balanced, huge floral, citrus hope bitterness, grapefruity finish, very smooth. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation. Very good, solid APA, and ages well! Who would have known? Thanks to biegaman for alerting me these are in prime shape!

4.27/5  rDev +20.3%

Slightly hazy yellow in color and it has a small head. The smell is very unique there are hints of rosemary, lemon and grass. The taste is very lemony and herbal in a rosemary kind of way. There is a noticeable herbal citrusy and semi bitter presence of hops. It would be a perfect beer to have with Asian food. I love the fruity lemon qualities of the beer. The low carbonation adds a great creaminess to the beer and brings out the flavors. It is a Drinkable, delicious and unique pale ale.

4.27/5  rDev +20.3%

A suprisingly lovely beer with a rich pale color and a coating thin head. An abuntant amount of malty fruits in the nose along with a bit of grass and primo herb. Big, fruit-forward sauvignon blanc malt flavor combined with a funky barnyard character and moderate hoppiness which gives flavors of lemon grass and hay along with a distinct dryness. Enormous for its size but yet still very simple and elegant. I wish they bottled this by the gallon.

4.27/5  rDev +20.3%

Orange and big fluffy head of white, with gauzy lacing.

smell is great big and floral hoppy. not bitter, nice.

taste has a deeper maltier bite than it looks. a little bit sweet aftertaste, but the real winner is the floral flavor. Like an IPA aftertaste with a lighter initial taste. I really like it.

Ruth from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room