Ruth | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

RuthRuth

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

A light and refreshing American Ale, made with pale malt and crystal hops. She was inspired by my Mother's Mother, Granny Ruth because of her love and support. Don't be Ruthless. Have one on Granny.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

3.48/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a stubby to a pint glass the liquid is light gold and has good carbonation. The head is tall 2 fingers plus and leaves nice lace.

The smell is hoppy with a light malt.

The taste follows, nice malt and a strong pine and earthy hops.

The mouthfeel is a bit too fizzy but has a thicker body.

The drinkability is ok but I would not seek this one out. MK

3.39/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours a clear blonde color. Way clearer and lighter in color than I was expecting. Fluffy white head with good retention and some lacing.

Aroma is very floral. Really nice grapefruit notes as well. Taste is almost exclusively grapefruit. The finish is bitter citrus peel. I've had a lot of pale ales/IPA's with some grapefruity hoppiness, but this one seems like it could be some sort of grapefruit beer.

Mouthfeel is VERY carbonated. Almost champagne-like. It stings my tongue on every sip. I don't know that I would ever buy this one again. It's drinkable, but not particularly well done.

3.68/5  rDev +3.7%

12oz Bottle from Liquid Solutions:

Appearance: pale straw light yellow color w/ off full / thick white head. Nice retention, some lacing.

Smell: bland at best. perhaps my bottle isn't very fresh.

T: The hops are citrus / grapefruit in nature...not bitter at all. Good amount of yeast as well. While the head is good, the taste is under carbonated to me.

M: Not enough carbonation IMHO

D: Easy to drink with a good taste. Ruth just doesn't fit into my concept of an American Pale Ale.

3.53/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy golden color with a huge fluffy off-white head that takes its time settling. Ruth has a nice citrus and pine hoppy aroma, not dominating but present. A light citrus and pine hop aroma, hint of peach, which is countered by a sweet honey malt. Its hard to pick up any other flavors due to the airy carbonation. This is more on the hoppy side for an APA. The feel is moderate and fairly crisp, well carbonated, finishes with a piney bitterness. Overall a good APA however the carbonation seems to kill the flavor a bit. Looks pretty.

3.61/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a hazy, golden/orangey color with a thin white head. Decent retention.

The aroma is quite minimal. There is however a slight hoppiness showing off a bit of citrus.

The taste is ok. A slight hoppiness giving a citrus tone with a bittering finish. There are some interesting aspects going on in this brew as well. Seems like some pineapple, and some pale malt.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability is fairly high. Great flavor and low alcohol make this one a winner for me.

4.1/5  rDev +15.5%

For years I always wondered what HOTD would do with a session beer and now I got a chance to find out. This is light hoppy goodness with a grapefruit, citrus and a solid malt backbone. I could drink a lot of these as the beer has just that perfect mouthfeel. Almost tastes like an IPA. These guys do not make a bad beer.

3.67/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A: snifter. poured a cloudy, yellowish golden color. nice, big slightly off-white head. good retention and really nice lacing.

S: big aroma of citrus hops, tons of grapefruit. some floral notes, and a hint of yeast.

T: Huge grapefruit taste. some notes of sweet pale malt, hints of honey. Very unique beer, such interesting flavor. lemon zest, some sours too. so well-balanced.

M: clean and very crisp. great carbonation level, a little higher than normal. low to medium body.

D: I could drink several of these. Very unique flavor and aroma, and I am not sure if this can be placed in a certain style. iff the wall and well worth it.

3.5/5  rDev -1.4%

Kind of a strange beer. Pours gold with a massive yellow head. I think it must be endemic to HotD beers, it's just a ridiculous amount of froth to deal with.

When it settles down, nice sparkling gold. Smells of sharp, ripe citrus with a bit of yeast. Taste is, again, grapefruit, citrus, pine, and that same zesty yeastiness. I'm making it sound more complex than it is, as it definitely is a "plain jane" sort of concoction. Still, effervescent and satisfying.

3.3/5  rDev -7%

12 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a slightly hazy yellow with a firm cap of white foam with good retention and a solid lacing backbone.

S: Smell is quite strong, lots of lemon and citric hop juice.

T: Major lemon zest flavour and light grapefruit and orange juice. Malt character is light and bready. A odd but still tasty APA.

M: Mouthfeel is light and kind of slick, oily.

D: An interesting APA, but in the end wasn't really taken with it, still a well-made beer though.

3.69/5  rDev +3.9%

The first thing that trows me about this beer is the look, it looks more like an American Wheat then it does a pale ale. pale cloudy blonde with little head and no lace

I notice a lot of cloves in this one, otherwise there is quite a bit of malt on the nose. Overall nice, but this seems to be more like a wheat beer. Maybe there's a lot of wheat in there by comparison to other pale ales, certainly unfiltered still the nose is quite enjoyable.

there's a nice sweetness on the malt, there's that barley malt that I've been looking for. Still quite a bit of American yeast in the flavor. Not the kind of hops you would expect from a "West Coast American Pale Ale" even so this strange hybrid grants some sort of recognition from me if it is technically stylistically flawed.

smooth and a bit oily, medium light carbonation and a nice bit of astringence from the bittering hops

this stuff is interesting, I could see myself drinking this on an occaisional basis if it were available on a regular basis. A fun introduction to Hair of the Dog brewery.

3.85/5  rDev +8.5%

Got this one as an extra from RoryGilmore, cheers Rick!

Pours a hazed straw/a gold color with 2 fingers of fluffy ivory colored head. Above average head retention & lacing

S: Citrus hops & not much else

T: Grapefruit hops, some breadyness. honey malt & lemon hops up front. Some apple skin, grapefruit hops & a touch of grainyness as this warms. Finishes crisp with light honey & fruit notes

MF: Medium bodied, low carbonation, good balance, skews west coast hoppy

Drinks pretty easy, I could do a few pints before moving on. Nice solid APA, probably the most mellow Hair of the Dog product I've tried, but still nice

3.8/5  rDev +7%

Thanks to IDateTheFormula for sending this my way.

Pours a hazy golden straw color with some suspended particles and enough head to lay down and take a nap on. Oooh, don't pour too deep into this bottle or you get a thick brown sedimentary surprise.

Some really interesting smells going on here, with some hops and grains kind of playing with each other. Big sweet grapefruit aroma with bready fullness. Maybe it's just me, but I'm missing some of the floral notes that come through in other pales.

Taste isn't bad, but I guess I expected a little more than this, like it's really good, but not quite all there. Light grains have plenty of flavor, but little depth. I'm getting a nice dose of the citrus from the nose and a very notable bitterness at the finish. Not a bad pale ale, but it still seems to be missing something. Flavors hang kind of high and forward on the palate, making this one pretty sessionable, but not overly satisfying.

3.82/5  rDev +7.6%

Bought from SBL. Thanks Joey! Decanted from the bottle into a pint glass. Pours a golden color with a thin head that dissipates quickly. Aroma of citrus and floral hops, and that's about it. Taste has citrus and floral hops, along with bready malts. Mouthfeel is right in the middle. This an easy drinker, so drinkability is high. Overall this beer is good, but not my favorite from HOTD by any means.

4.3/5  rDev +21.1%

Now this one I like. Pours out a cloudy amber with two fingers of very white small suds.
I smell lemon and grapefruit on top of the malts and the hops.
Tangerine and mango are the first tastes then the grapefruity hops come into play. Great stuff here.
Mouthfeel is a bit oily but drys out after the sweet mango leave the palate.
I like this beer and would drink a lot of them in a row if I had the chance.

2.61/5  rDev -26.5%

This is very fizzy, dry, and rather bland and boring, and ultimately not my thing.

A hazy gold, it has a big, faintly off-white, head steadily shrinking to a permanent medium head and a little foamy lace.

It smells like a wheat ale, being predominantly pears with hints of citrus, pine, banana, bubblegum, and bread.

The taste first hit me with a dry, tart, zestiness, fizzy, with pears and fresh grapefruit. The grapefruit is light but clearly dominates and is slghtly different from the grapefruit quality I'm used to and seems very much like fresh grapefruit juice. The beer is a little too dry and fizzy with light bitterness, a lightly bitter grapefruit finish that vanishes quaickly to leave almost no aftertaste.

3.66/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Part of a tasting with a friend on 05/21/08. Poured into a small chalice.

Appearance: A huge foamy head, thick, with a great, pillowy bubble structure that leaves massive, three-dimensional lacing in its wake. The lacing is really phenomenal. Very active carbonation makes for a champagne-like beer ... that is, I'm sure it would look champagne-esque, if you could actually see through it. The body is a dull, hazy, opaque yellow. But ... ohhhh that lacing. Doesn't look like any American Pale Ale I've ever had.

Aroma: Lots of grape and Granny Smith apple-skin tannins, very wine/champagne-like. The fruitiness works well with the tones imparted by the yeast - lots of thick, earthy mustiness (horseblanket anyone? no? ok ...) and some spicy cloves. A light, citrusy hop aroma rounds out the nose. Again, very champagne-like - doesn't smell like any American Pale Ale I've ever smelled.

Taste: Sour notes, a gentle milky creaminess, and some faint simple sweetness. A few of the fruit notes present in the nose - pear and apple skins, as well as some citrus peel - mingle with some mild hops in the finish. Interesting, and again, very atypical.

Mouthfeel: Creamy, less so than you'd imagine from the huge, billowy look, but big-bodied. Dry, and the large but consistent bubble profile yields a mouth that's not too prickly at all. Very nice.

Drinkability: Pretty easy-going, and not bad, but a very strange beer that comes off (at least in my opinion) as a bit of a novelty. The taste and the aroma are very reminiscent of champagne, so if you're in the mood for a beer beer ... this one might not be for you. To be fair, I actually liked it more than I thought I would after the initial sip. Was not what I expected at all.

This was one strange beer - maybe altering things a little and marketing it as a Belgian would be a good plan. It was interesting though, and I give it give it credit for being unique. Try it.

4.04/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm was initially surprised at the low aggregate score this has. Ruth is one of my favorites, and is a very popular at my pub.

Ruth is a bit of a departure from Hair of the Dog's other offerings, which are typically much bigger beers. This is light, delicate, and subtle beer. I think it has a lot to recommend it, but can understand how someone would be dissappointed if expecting something more exciting.

I strongly suggest trying Ruth as your first beer of the evening, or on a hot afternoon. It also goes great with food. It's main weakness is that it is too subtle to follow stronger, hoppier beers - which will completely overpower the fruit flavors.

A - Pale golden color, with a very slight haze.

S -

3.2/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours clear and yellow from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass. Small white head dissolves into a thin cap very quickly. Lots of bubbles coming off the bottom. A faint hoppy aroma with some sweetness. Fairly mild, somewhat hoppy taste. Very light in body and equally light in mouthfeel.

Nothing too outstanding, but nothing offensive.

2.95/5  rDev -16.9%

The label calls this beer "light and refreshing" made with "pale malt and crystal hops." It pours a cloudy blonde with lots of sediment and a creamy head that sticks around.

Despite a sweet, fruity scent this beer is quite dry with a sour-bitter hoppiness. Frankly, I'm not crazy about it. I feel like it's off-kilter. I poured most of it out.

4.15/5  rDev +16.9%

Picked this up on a norcal beer trip at SF City Beer store, cool spot.

A- Pale hazy golden yellow, very busy with bubble streamers keeping the !'2 inch pure white foam head alive, as if it were regenerating the head. Great retention.

S- Slight honey sweetness, with yellow stone fruits, pineapple almost like a chardonnay.

T- Subdue sweetness with apricot/ mango flavor and a subtle tartness- like sour cherries.

M- Bubbles, bubbles, bubbles, bubbles. A little sharp on the tongue. Overall leaves the mouth feeling refreshed.

D- Fun to drink, seems like a great summer brew. Bright fruits, refreshing. I like it.

2.62/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Well... that was a waste of 2.50.

Purchased at the sublime Red Carpet Liquors in Glendale...

This bottle pours a rich, hazy, very pale gold with moderate carbonation that forms maybe a 1/4 to 1/2 finger of head in my Corsendonk tulip, and then quickly dissipates. Not a chill haze.

Aroma is largely pine and orange, but thin, and backed with honey sweetness... that honey sweetness really overwhelming on the tongue... as the honey flavor combined with a malty breadiness seeps through and pushes the hops away. Some high alcohols are present, which seems wholly unacceptable in a 5.6% percent beer.

Mouth is a bit thick, flat, and heavy.

It's not offensive, it's just not a particularly tasty APA, and certainly not suited to mine. It's certainly distinctive, and I could see someone trying and absolutely loving this, but it just misses pretty much all around for me.

3.9/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to largadeer for this extra.

A - Orange/Peach in color with about a half inch white head. Head disappears somewhat quickly with some lacing. Very cloudy.

S - Belgian yeast and citrus. Also a little bit of funkyness but not in a bad way.

T - Starts with a lot of citrus and malty flavors. Moves to a little bit of sourness/funkyness and ends with a little bit of hop bitterness.

M - Carbonation was somewhat high. Thicker than expected given the 5.8% ABV.

D - Very drinkable. If this was easily available to me I could see myself drinking a lot of these during the summer.

Overall, I have a hard time calling this a pale ale. It's still a good beer no matter how you catagorize it. This would make a great summer barbeque beer.

4.03/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle. Hazy light golden color, big rocky head of dry-looking foam. The aroma was grassy and a little hoppy in a Belgian way, finishing with a smell similar to a saison. The taste was likewise grassy and saison-y, really very good. A little bit of bitterness in the after-taste.

I recommend this more than most who have rated it. I liked it a lot.

3.2/5  rDev -9.9%

Snagged a few HOTD Ruth bottles on a recent trip to San Francisco. I have a free moment and thought I would fill it with Ruth and a review.

A: Orange/golden and clouded pour with thick, creamy 3-finger bright white head.
S: Yeasty barnyard/dusty aroma present. A sweet, citrus aroma is noted, also.
T: A taste of lemon juice. Again very earthy, dusty, hayish or barnyard-like taste come through from the yeast. This must be quite an active strain. Almost tastes of a belgian triple with banana flavors and the strong yeastyness.
M: Light body, but lingering taste.
D: Very light for a pale ale. I don't find the hops at all. I don't know if this should be classified this way. The beer is tasty, but not what I expected at all.

3.48/5  rDev -2%

Picked up on my visit to NYC.

A: Lightly cloudy, pale straw yellow color, it is much lighter than the usual APA. The off white white head is thick and foamy, downright massive. It takes it's sweet time dying down and does leave behind some nice lacing.

S: Nice aromas of fresh floral hops, melded with wonderful malts. That is where the APA ends though. There is a Belgian quality to this one, a yeasty sort of spicy sort of funkiness never noted before in an APA.

T: Who are they kidding. APA? This one is all over the place. It is nicely hopped with tons of malt. Spices off the scale with some yeast and sour funk. This APA leaves me scratching my head. It's not bad, just downright weird.

M: Wonderful carbonation and ample body.

D: Not bad at all, just leaves me confused.

Overall: I like it, really I do. This one leaves me confused as I have never had any APA that comes close in flavor or aroma to this one. It's nice, but has gone way outside it's class.

Ruth from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room