Adam | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: Old Ale

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Ratings: 2,474 |  Reviews: 1,029
Reviews by kagent777:
4.22/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Review number 200, so a special beer for that one! !2 oz bottle from a colleague from Portland. I poured this one into my perfect pint. From batch 81, so bottled Sept 2010, 2.5 yrs in the bottle.

Appearance: A nice dark brown beer with ruby highlights when held up to the light. This one has a huge head.

Smell: The head is retaining some of the smell. It has subsided since opening the top. I get rich malts and wonderful strong dried fruit esters. Good cigar tobacco.

Taste: Taste follows the smell quite nicely. Very complex and layered. Big malts that have some residual sweetness. Enough bitterness to edge up against this fact. The malts have a note of chocolate to go with the fruitiness. All of these fruit that I am describing is of the dark dried variety. A solid example of an old ale.

Mouthfeel: Almost viscous body with low carbonation. Strong flavors last a long time on the finish.

Overall: Old ales are not for the faint of heart, but I love flavorful beers. This one does not disappoint. I wish I could get this one regularly.

4.86/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Umami, leather, cigar, bitter chocolate, smokey meats, licorice, chewy caramel, sweetness, woody bitterness. Moves on the palate gracefully. This beer is absolutely unreal.

3.22/5  rDev -23.9%

12oz bottle poured into a Cantillon wine glass.

Batch 76. Hair of the Dog offers a vintage guide to date their various batches of Adam, but it mysteriously stops after batch 59... The trend so far is that they brew roughly 5 batches a year, so this was probably bottled in 2005 or somewhere around that.

A - I began pouring this gently to keep the bottle conditioned yeast in the bottle, but after I didn't see ANY head activity, I tried to do it a bit harder. All my effort was in vain, however, as there is absolutely no head or carbonation to be seen here. It actually gives some still lambics a run for their money. Retention, therefore, is not applicable, and the lacing is invisible as well. There are some slight alcohol legs making their presence known, though! The body itself is a dark brown mixed with purple.

S - Thankfully the smell is better than the appearance. There's a good amount of alcohol solvency in here, but for the most part it's covered by dark fruits, tobacco, chocolate and caramel malts. The tobacco even leads to some slight smokiness, and it gives hints of burnt brown sugar.

T - The flavors are definitely a branch of the nose, albeit a bit more simple and even watered down. It starts with a boozy, rum-soaked raisin flavor, before quickly transitioning to wet tobacco and earthiness. The smoky qualities return here, although they are not as enticing as in the nose and is more of a nuisance. It finishes with a bit of a chocolate and caramel, before turning to an almost acrid, solvent alcohol burn.

M - The mouthfeel is easily the worst part of this beer. It's completely flat and still, and while the beer is cold it doesn't detract too much, but when this beer hits room temperature, the feel of this beer plummets. It's flavors are too syrupy to deal with without some carbonation, and it just seems to sit on the palate.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately low. I was really looking forward to this beer, and although I've heard of Hair of the Dog's carbonation problems, this was my first beer from them. It's a shame it is still as I definitely think this beer would be tasty with some carbonation. If this is on tap around you, check it out, but at the price they charge around me for a bottle, it's just too much risk to try again.

Rating: 2/3.5/2.5/1/2.5
---

I was sent another bottle of this since my first one was obviously off. Thanks a ton, msubulldog25 for this! I will average the scores for the overall ranking,

Batch #81.

A - Right away the appearance is leagues better than my first encounter with this beer, and it actually has a bit too much lively carbonation (but I will definitely take that compared to the flatness of the first). Amazing retention as well, with huge bubbles and a rocky texture that turns creamy as it fades. The lacing is sticky as well, with thick clumps of foam clinging haphazardly all around the glass.

S - Really interesting nose on here again. It actually seems to be a bit hotter in the way that the alcohol comes through. It's sweet as well with the malts, and there's a lot of dark fruits and sugar. Again, I'm getting some dry tobacco leaves and brown sugar.

T - The richness of the nose continues into the flavor, with the alcohol again playing a large role. Caramel malts and chocolate are abundant, with an alcohol-soaked raisin and cherry taking a reign as well. It's earthy and somewhat smokey with a long, sweet, alcoholic finish.

M - Mouthfeel is much better than before, but it still is fairly thin especially for the amount of flavor this beer is pushing. Would have loved to see this be a bit more full-bodied. Leaves a sweet finish on the palate.

D/O - Drinkability is moderately high. It's a night and day comparison between this batch and the one I had before, but there are still some negatives that are keeping me from loving this. For one, it is pretty hot and the alcohol lasts from start to finish. Secondly, it's a bit thinner than I would've liked. Still, definitely helps my perception of Hair of the Dog.

Rating: 4/3.5/4/3/3.5

4.58/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 89 (~2013)

The color is both bizzare and astonishing at the same time. It is a dark chocolate color that is neither black nor brown. A slightly creamy head sits atop the beer like a halo.

The nose is another beast in of itself. It smells like caramelized smoked pear pie covered in dark chocolate chunks.

Once the beer warms up, it morphs from an oddly drinkable sweet and smokey concoction. The first sip is a bit offensive, the second one is enticing and the third sip is downright delicious. The flavor opens up into a complex combination of caramelized fruits, borderline overpowering cherrywood smoke, and cacao powder.

Overall, I have no idea how 3 years of age has changed this beer compared to a fresh bottle, but it certainly has a very pronounced smoke flavor. The surprise was how scary drinkable it was for a 10% abv smoked beer. Its worth the price of admission all day.

4.73/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Batch #77. 12 ox. bottle poured into a Great Lakes snifter.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy dark brown. Not really any head at all, just a very thin lacing.

Smell: Dark chocolate, peat smoked malt, leather. Some oak, toffee, strong molasses aroma on the tail end, hints of licorice. Very complex yet integrated extremely well. Quite a bit of depth in the aroma.

Taste: Incredible depth. Big blast of raisin and fig up front followed by peat smoked malt, multiple layers of rich caramel malt, molasses, wood, and leather. Finish is fairly sweet although the smoke keeps it in check nicely - not in the least bit cloying. No real alcohol heat. Ridiculous complexity.

Mouthfeel: Very full-bodied, low carbonation, incredibly smooth. Velvety feel on the palate.

Overall: Certainly one of the most unique beers on the market, and in terms of sheer complexity this is absolutely top of the line. Everything is integrated perfectly. Make no mistake, this is a sipper - perfect for an evening by the fireplace. As a side note, definitely improves with a few years of age on it.

1.72/5  rDev -59.3%

I must admit, I’ve had some bad HOTD experiences as of late. I don’t know if I got a few bottles from some systematic problem they’ve had at the brewery or what, but all seem to have signs of infection or too much oxygen in the brewing. The only exception to this was Fred and the outstanding Fred from the Wood (ratebeer release). Both were very good.

This one is a 12 oz bottle from batch 60. Pours a mud brown with hues of mahogany and dirty white foam that forms about a half-inch head on the first pour and lasts for quite a while. The smell is a powerful earthy dirt-like smell, with hints of cardboard. Unpleasant smell matched in the unpleasant taste. Mouthfeel is chalky. Completely undrinkable – dumped it.

Again, another bad experience. I, however, want to point out that I don’t know for sure if it’s a bad batch or just extremely overrated and overpriced crap in a bottle.

2.61/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Sampled: 2.3.07

First off, this thing overflowed molten-like foam for what really should’ve been no outside reason. It had been sitting upright in my DBF for over a week, simply transported to the living room and placed on a side table, and then actually left alone there for about 5 or 6 minutes. But when I cracked it, it spewed forth in abundance. Of course, I hadn’t expected this, so I was returning the bottle opener to the kitchen when my wife alerted me to the impending mess on the floor. I was half way between spill site and paper towel rack, and I made my decision. And by the time I got back with the paper towels, it was too late. Too much sugar and/or yeast added for the bottle conditioning perhaps? Anyway, after that set up, you’d think this thing had a monster head when I finally poured it, right? Wrong. Practically nil. A mere ring around the edge and no lacing to speak of. The beer itself was a dark chocolate brown with reddish hues. The color alone is what saved it from flatline mediocrity.

Ok, the aroma. Quite interesting. It’s earthy right off the bat. Heavy, heavy raw tobacco up front. Leathery and roasted malts perk up a bit, and after some warming prunes make an appearance. Not too enticing, for my tastes. Interesting nonetheless.

Tastes is really leathery , and more tobacco, though this time, more of the smokey variety punch you in the mouth. Dark malts mingle in an alt-like atmosphere, all within a fairly hoppy profile that hangs through out and offers a light bitterness upon swallow. These complex flavors hide any alcohol content that quite honestly surprised me when I found out what it was. I didn’t feel it at all. The beer is highly carbonated, but still no head, and it leaves oily traces along the tongue.

The drinkability is low for me, as the flavor was just too rich with the tobacco & leather. Maybe this would be a good beer to sip with a cigar, but it isn’t for me. It’s tough to rate this too low, as there is certainly a complexity about it. Personal tastes, obviously, heavily influence my lower scores, but ultimately, this is a unique brew that smokey beer lovers should try.

4.02/5  rDev -5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

12oz bottle poured gently into hotel cup. Cola brown body with no head and great tan lacing. Aroma is caramel, nuts, molasses, dark fruits like plum and fig, anise, a touch of bakers chocolate. Taste initially borders on strong sweetness with chocolate, brown sugar, raisin, and maple syrup flavors. Light bitterness comes on the swallow with nutty and tobacco notes. Some smoke and band-aid flavors come late. Medium-full body, thick syrupy texture, virtually no carbonation, boozy sweet and tongue-coating finish.

4.69/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Update, opened an aged batch 82 on 7/11/17 in Big Sky Montana on our Mountain West camp tour. This is still one of my favs. This aged version has tons of smoke and leather smell. And the taste is the same. Over abundance of leather and smoke.

First off, I'm fortunate to live very close to Hair of the Dog brewery. Adam is one of my go to beers that I always have aging in the back of the fridge and in the basement. I love the complexity of flavors that flows from every sip. I get leather, tobacco, little vanilla, maybe some plum or tannins, smoke and raisin. I love this style which seems to be some what hidden from a beer market with so much to choose from. I understand that this style isn't for everyone, but if you are beer connoisseur you will love this. Cheers.

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Nice to finally try this beer,poures an almost black definently very dark with a great creamy head that leaves waves of lace.Aroma has a spicey quality to it like roasted peppers and some alcohol notes,taste is complex with some peppery taste along with a chocolate note with some smokey flavors coming out as it warms.A beer to sip and savour well made and worth its press clippings.

4.23/5  rDev 0%

Appearance – Monster head that laces all exposed areas of the inside glass. The color is a deep, dark, rich brown – almost black.

Smell – Lots of smells in this one. Burnt malt and brown sugar come to mind, along with struggling hops and a juicy, chewing tobacco scent.

Taste – This is like syrup. Thick, chewy malts laden with tobacco, burnt brown sugar, prunes (lots of prunes), raisins, and other dark fruits. The sugar comes out even more at the end with a lingering finish along with the alcohol. There are some bitter hops in there somewhere but I’m having trouble picking them out.

Mouthfeel – No carbonation to speak of. The beer is creamy smooth though.

Drinkability – Well, it carries a 10% ABV, so I wouldn’t be shooting it with pizza or pretzels. It is smooth enough to go down well though.

Comments – This is a full-bodied heavy hitter and not for the faint of heart. The majority of inexperienced drinkers would probably pour most of the bottle down the sink. I like a strong, malty dark ale but the unbalanced character keeps me away from 5’s on this one.

Update – For my 2004 re-review I found the flavor tainted with some off sour notes which brought the Taste rating down by 0.5.

Update – For my 2005 review we are back on track. The sourness is gone, the rating is back up, and for the first time in history the bottle didn’t explode all over my kitchen floor. Yeehaw!

4.44/5  rDev +5%

A: Reddish brown with a pretty big, almost fluffy, head that fizzes away into some lacings.

S: The smell is fantastic. Very complex, don't even know if I'm able to decipher everything going on here. Here's a lot of malts - caramel, dark bread, fudge and even some roasted notes. Vinous fruits (cherries, raisins, figs) and wood. Spices reminiscent of cola, molasses and smooth alcohol notes.

T: The taste is no letdown either, to say the least. A gentle roasted character sits well with caramel, fudge and prominent vinous fruity notes. The fruits are not as well defined as in the smell. Then comes rich and sophisticated flavors of wood, raisins, dusty cellar and spices. The taste is very sweet but the roasted aromas, wood and spices keep everything on track. The finish is amazing. Luscious warming and semi-sweet alcohol, well balanced bitterness, leafy hops, wood and lingering sweetness. Very powerful. If I had to say something negative about it, I think the alcohol is just slightly too prominent. But that's of minor importance.

M: Medium to full body and creamy texture. Very pleasant.

D: This is just a fantastic beer. Very complex and oh so balanced. Drinks like a fine wine.

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Batch #81 poured into Dogfish Head Snifter

A - Pours a dark brown with a fingers worth of tan head. A good amount of lacing on the sides of the glass.

S - The aroma contains dark fruit, chocolate, caramelized malts and some hops.

T- Raisins, figs, prunes, bit of chocolate, caramel, malt. A nice warm booziness at the backend followed by sweetness.

M - A bit chewy, but super smooth, head that stays adds to this character.

O - My favorite year round offering from Hair of the Dog. I always buy a few bottles when I see it in NYC. Can't wait to see how this one ages. Such an underrated brew.

3.75/5  rDev -11.3%

4.63/5  rDev +9.5%

Batch 67. I know its a bit old, either 06 or 07.

This is going to be a tough style to rate as I know nothing about them except what I have read.

Pours a delicious dark (very dark) brown, quite opaque, though some light getting through. Rich dense, dark head with quite a lot of staying power.

Dark roasted malt. Some dark dried sweet fruit like raisin or date. There is another food type that I cant place. Virtually no hop character. ABV. It doesnt take a genious to call this a full bodied beer.

Wow. Roasted malt finish. Wow. Ive never tasted a finish non-syrup like with this flavor. Lots of warming, non biting, ABV in the middle.

Sits very smooth for ABV. Almost like a Barley Wine. Lots a similarities between them. This brew gets better as temperature rises.

I love this brew. I cant really find a flaw in it. I wish I could drink like 4 of them starting at dinner. This would compliment a lot of meals and is a very hearty drink.

I originally got this beer in a BIF. Ive been looking to trade for them, but I think the price is a bit high. I might try to find some on the cheap any way possible.

3.97/5  rDev -6.1%

Batch 79
Pours flat into my Deschutes tulip.
No head, no carbonation. Flat.
Tastes good though. Very pronounced chocolate and figs up front and throughout. Slight tangyness in the aftertaste.
Given the experiences others have had, I'll give this another try and update my review as appropriate.

4.46/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Batch 92.
Pours from the bottle a dark brown with a never-ending dark tan head. Strong carbonation and tons of lace.
Amazing aroma: chocolate, molasses, caramel, toffee, brown sugar and hints of hazelnut.
Dark chocolate leads the taste with dark fruit, molasses and some bitter char notes. As it warms a bit, I get vanilla, leather and a touch of smoke.
Mouthfeel is very smooth and creamy.
A very nice experience.

Batch 79.

A - Pours deep brown with 2 fingers of tan head. Head has great retention.

S - Deep caramel malts, earthiness, and definitely some raisins coming through. Very nice overall.

T - Similar to smell, the earthy malts and deep dried fruits dominate. Also some molasses. Has a very woody character to it. Some alcohol apparent in the taste. Would have loved to have let this one sit for a year or two, but my suitcase was already full with other beers, so I had to drink this one out of a plastic cup in the hotel in San Diego.

M - medium mouthfeel with good carbonation. Alcohol provides some warming on the way down.

D - Probably a little too fresh to taste the full potential of this one, but clearly a nice take on the old ale. I only wish I could have brought more home.

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

A yeasty hoppy aroma with all kinds of hints of other things, a nice sweet malty blend of raisin banana lemon, almost like a weiss, thickish mouthfeel little bit of hop bitterness in the aftertaste, a complex sweetness lingered till the end.I seem to feel this is a great brew, but the blend just isn't something I'm into right now.

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room