Adam | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: Old Ale

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Ratings: 2,461 |  Reviews: 1,022

3.5/5  rDev -17.3%

4.01/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Good beer, darker than my own personal tastes with dates, raisins, coffee, and dark chocolate, but was very sweet while being low on carbonation which to me lowered the mouthfeel but increased the flavor, as odd as that sound. Good beer, needs to be drank slow and would be better for the winter.

Had on tap at the source

4.73/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

12oz Bottle
$3.19
Liquid Solutions

Batch #67

Adam pours the darkest of browns with only tiny hard to spot mahogany highlights when held direcly to the light. A big 2+ finger head of the utmost creaminess formed on the pour and just stayed put. Leaves moderate lacing after each sip. The creamiest head on a beer I can remember.

Lots of heavy, deep, dark aromas. First thing that hits the nose is a roasted malty goodness quickly followed by a solid campfire smokiness. When I smell deeper I pick up cream and some dark fruits including figs and raisins. Smells utterly unique and exceptional.

The flavor is so complex and dark that I cant even begin to describe the complexity. I will try and give a description in simplified form though. Roasted malts give a nice bitterness upfront followed by a shot of cream and a quick gulp of campfire smoke. Toward the finish there's a very welcomed berry sweetness including blackberries, some bing cherries, and (although not a berry) fig. Mild hop bitterness on the tongue that intensifies as the bottle disappears.

The mouthfeel of this beer is absolutely sublime. I can't pick out one thing even remotely wrong with this mouthfeel. Thick and lush describe it perfectly. Oh, and velvety, smooth and creamy. I guess there is no end to the positive adjectives that could be used to describe the body of this brew.

Everything about this beer is so big and enjoyable that it would be tough to drink more than a couple. I'd hate to drink more than one, actually, for the simple fact I would feel like I'm disrespecting such a fine brew.

This is a World class old ale from Hair of the Dog. Actually this is a world class ale of any sorts. If this was available in my area I would order it by the truckload. Anxious to try other batches.

4.46/5  rDev +5.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

This is the beer that started it all. Not 1001 Bottles, but my friendship with Erick Engel. I saw Erick post about Adam on Google+ and asked if he would be interested in a trade. Long story short, he was… And that traded turned into several bottles before we were done. This was a unique trade, too. Erick is from San Diego, but was going to be in the Valley for a baseball tournament. Why would he bother shipping the beers when he could deliver them IN PERSON! We made plans to meet at Four Peaks, and did the trade right there at the table. It was amazing.

During our trade the manager at Four Peaks came over and asked what we were doing. At first, I was worried he wouldn't allow us to trade at the table. Better yet, he brought Erick some stickers, some coasters, and invited everyone to the brewery for a tour of the brewing facility. We left there, headed to Fate and the rest is… Well, fate! It was a great way for us to land this bottle.

I am a bit fan of Hair of the Dog Brewing, and I know this beer is incredible. I first had this back in Indiana, but we can't get Hair of the Dog here in the desert. I can't thank Erick enough for making this bottle possible. Erick, this one is for you… The one that started it all. Cheers, buddy!!!

In the Glass: Whoa… Didn't expect that much head. I am getting a fist of head on this one. Granted, Sheryl's pour was perfect. Oh well, this needs to heat up a little, anyway. The beer is nice a dark; a dark brown almost black color. The head is thick, and has a nice toffee color to it. The beer is producing a nice lace, too. I can't wait to drink this. Memories!

Nose: I am going to wait for the head to go down just a little bit. I don't want bubbles all up on my nose!

Sorry, I was distracted. I am busy chatting with David Rojo. He is going to be coming over in a few days to drink our bottle of Mexican Cake with us. He will also be bringing a bottle from his cellar for us to try. He was telling me some that he has to offer… And regardless of what he brings, I am pumped to try it. On to the nose.

Imagine a fig floating in a glass of scotch. That is what this smells like. It doesn't have a sweet aroma that you would expect from an Old Ale, but it does offer nice balance with obvious smokey goodness. The more I smell this, the more smoke I am getting. Oh, and the BeerAdvocate guys rated this a 99… So you know it's good!

Flavor: By the way, the lace is ridiculous on this beer. A good lace is a sign of a good beer.

Here we go. Oh. My. GOD! That is unreal. I mean, SO freaking good. I was chatting with Erick earlier tonight and he said he hadn't had his bottle of Adam yet. Erick… DUDE, drop what you are doing and drink this beer NOW!!! Oh, and Paul Tom Bennett from Facebook said, "That's stuff is liquid amazeballs!" That is one way to put it.

You get a nice smokey flavor up front, but then the sweetness that I was talking about shows up. Then, as you swallow and continue to swallow, the smoke just continues and leaves you with a nice drying finish. I could seriously drink a gallon of this beer. It's that good.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is great, and leaves a nice thick layer of flavor on my tongue. The beer, even at 10% ABV, is easy to drink, but the flavor is so good, I don't want this bottle to be over. I only get 6 ounces, but that is not enough! I am sure a keg of this, if they even make it, would be outrageous… But I would LOVE a pint of this on tap. I am just blown away with how good this beer is.

Aftertaste: The smoke continues, but as I sit here and continue to swallow, the smoke becomes a nice earthy dryness that is hard to forget. I said imagine a fig floating in a glass of scotch, and that thought is still with me. I do like scotch, and I really dig the pearty scotches from the Islay region.

If you like a nice thick high ABV beer that you can drink as your dessert, then this is the beer for you. We tried Fred, another beer from Hair of the Dog, many moons ago. I remember that bottle like it was yesterday, and I am so glad that we found a bottle of Adam. This bottle wouldn't be possible without Erick and his dedication to craft beer. This is what craft beer is all about!

Cheers, people!