Adam | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

AdamAdam

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States | website

Style: Old Ale

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Reviews: 1,014 | Ratings: 2,412
4.85/5  rDev +14.7%

12oz bottle (batch 84) poured into New Belgium snifter

A- Poured fairly slowly resulting in huge 3 finger frosting-like off-white head persistent head. Really sticky lacing. Very dark, but held to the light you can see some red.

S- Dark fruits, toffee, leather, chocolate. Not getting much alcohol. Wonderful.

T- Incredible. So complex with all of the different notes I am getting. Dark fruits, leather, toffee, and lingering dark chocolate and warm booziness.

M- So creamy. Surprising medium carbonation lends itself to a creamy mouthfeel. A delight to drink.

O- I have had this beer many times in the bottle and on tap at the brewery. This is one of my favorite beers of all time and snag one whenever I see it. I have never been patient enough to age this one. One of few beers that truly is a journey once you crack the cap.

3.94/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch number 77...Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter

A- Pours raisin brown with almost no head or carbonation to speak of. A cluster of medium sized bubbles form around the edges. Looks almost flat.

S- Smells of vanilla and sweet malt. Has a bit of a toasty, vintage twinge. Nutty, leathery after smell. I'm not sure when this was bottled, but it definitely seems aged.

T- Tastes of vanilla and bourbon up front. Very sweet and nutty in the middle. Finishes with figs and other dark fruit flavors. No hop presence. Instead, there is a slight bitter oakiness. Very smooth for its strength.

M- A bit watery and flat. Very smooth, however. Little to no carbonation. Has the mouthfeel of a vintage bourbon.

D- Wow this is a very unique brew. I'm sure its age has a lot to with that. This can be classified as a traditional sipper. It really feels like i'm drinking a slightly watered down bourbon. And that's not a bad thing.

Batch: 54
Massive Ivory Cream colored head which stuck to the edge of the glass like glue. Sweet smell of rich toffee and mocha. The beer had tons of character just sitting there in the glass. It stared at me begging to be tasted.

Initial sweet tastes of coffee and licorice which grew into a woody oak taste. Strong yet subtle hops and a bitter mocha and light salty taste at the finish. A chewy beer which was enough to put me down to a nice nighty-night after just one.

Good brew. Can't wait to try the other Hair of the Dog's....

4.74/5  rDev +12.1%

This is one of my favorite beers. It pours a very dark brown, with a small light brown head. The smell is encredibly complex, with dried fruits, roasted malt, coffee, and molasses all coming through. The taste is even more complex than the smeall. A fantastic beer, and one of my favorites.

4.08/5  rDev -3.5%

Appearance: Nearly black with light brown head that dissipates to a thin layer, good lacing, small particulates in suspension.

Smell: Smoky, chocolate, malty.

Taste: Smoky with fig, raisin, caramel.

Mouthfeel: Rich and creamy with moderate carbonation.

Overall: A good sipping beer. Not available around here, but would try again if it crossed my path.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Man, the head is huge on this, puts my gourd to shame, I had to wait to let this puppy settle. A very dark amber brown, light doesn't find its way through very well. A sweet, smoky aroma, malty, with a hoppiness at the end. The beer has a definite roasted malt flavor with a smokey, earthy flavor. A pretty smooth drink considering the complexity of the taste and the ABV. As you go further into this beer, the hop character becomes more apparent. A slight caramel aftertaste. A very good beer but not something that you can drink alot of.

3.95/5  rDev -6.6%

Hair of the Dog's ADAM is a robust, sipping beer required by the winter months and certainly not for novice beer drinkers. It pours a thick, opaque in a sniffer glass. The aroma of chocolate, roasted figs hits the nose like a welterweight fighter's jab. Adam is very tasty and chewy in the mouth with a strong alcohol finish.

Adam is a beer made with careful attention to details and top-notch ingredients....for my taste this beer is best as a slow sipping night cap brew - strong stuff.

4.34/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Dark chocolate brown color with a creamy head. Light carbonation, but a huge chocolate aroma...quite nice. Very sweet and deep flavor that coats your mouth and remains long after your sip. Big, big flavor, but still quite smooth. This is a great beer in this variety.

4.2/5  rDev -0.7%

Bubbles creamy thick,
The darkness nearly complete,
Deep, smoky chocolate

A: (3/3) Clear but incredibly dark brown, almost black with thin foamy head
S: (9/12) Lightly sour woody smell with notes of chocolate and dark malt
T: (17/20) Delightfully woody chocolate with sweet
M: (5/5) Bubbly and creamy, but dry throughout
O: (8/10) Great dark bottle-conditioned beer. Surprisingly smooth at 10% and the alcohol is barely noticeable beneath the wood and chocolate.
42/50

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured a dark brown color with almost no head, some bubbles creeping up to the top. This is due to the low carbonation. Does leave lacing.

S - a lovely aroma of figs, caramel, brown sugar, bread puddding, and dried fruits.

T - follows the nose fairly well, with roasty flavors lingering through the finish. Sweetness is measurable, but mostly balanced by the hops. It's fairly hot and boozy - a slow sipper. Port-like.

M - very low carbonation, and fairly creamy. Not sure how I feel about this. I like the creaminess but I think carbonation would help mask the alcohol and balance the sweetness.

Overall - This was a fairly unique experience for me, being the first Old Ale I've tried. I did enjoy the flavor, and the aroma was impressive too. I really wish I had some cheese to go with this - preferably Stilton.

3.93/5  rDev -7.1%

Do to lack of availablity I was forced / honored to share this bottle with my partner in beer. When we poured the bottle we had no idea what we were getting into.
A great dark pour with a thin but complex and full head.

The nose is deceptive and leaves a little to be desired...I thought others were joking about the horse blanket and stall but no doubt, Hi Ho Silver.

First taste opens a mass of doors, from molases and dark fruits to a little dirt and oak. Hard to tell what they were hoping for but it is anything but simple. Hair of the Dog fits quite well. Definately a sipper, even when splitting a bottle.

4.27/5  rDev +0.9%

A - It pours extremely dark, but when you hold it up to the light, you can see deep dark rusty red in it. Although, I poured this one carefully, a pillowy 3 finger head popped up immediately, lingering for a while and leaving light lacing on the glass.

S - Smokey burnt caramel and slightly leathery tobacco sit alongside a slightly muted dark fruit profile.

T - Extremely similar to the nose, but the date/raisin fruit profile is slightly more prominent than the it would lead you to believe.

M - Smooth and medium bodied with slightly higher carbonation that I would like.

O - This is a great old ale! I would definitely recommend that everyone who has the opportunity give this a try.

4.17/5  rDev -1.4%

Got this 12 oz. bottle via my very first trade! Thanks PDXHops...a classy human being!

It's declared Batch 71 right up front. I poured into an oversized wine glass (this is the first time that I wished I had a snifter), and am immediately amazed at this head I am looking at! It's about three fingers of light brown, toffeeish looking foam...nice and sticky. It has a deep brown body with some mahogany tones that show themselves when the light hits them just right.

The aroma is made up of bittersweet chocolates, licorice, some pit fruits...so much aroma! It becomes overshadowed by a burnt oak smell as it warms.

Taste...can you say sweet? Light cherry at the front and bakers chocolate on the finish. Loads of smoke and brandy midpalate, and a bit of burnt sugars and mollases if I'm not mistaken.

The mouthfeel is amazing! There was a lot more carbonation than I was expecting. A real tongue burner...

I won't lie about the drinkability...the alcohol is hidden extremely well. I had thoughts of calling the ex girlfriend about 3/4 of the way into this 12 oz. serving, so I had to rate it kind of low on drinkability. Needless to say, it's a sipper.

Overall, there is just so much going on here...almost too much at times and a bit sweet, but it all works together quite nicely. Can't wait to see what a couple years downstairs is going to do to this monster of a beer!

4.34/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

A- brown with amber hues, opaque. Thick khaki head. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass.
S- molasses, brown sugar, caramel, sweet candies
T- Sweet and malty. Similar to the nose with molasses and brown sugar. Dark fruits and even a bit of smokiness on the finish.
M- Full body and moderate carbonation, alcohol is hidden well.
O- Very enjoyable sipper. A lot of flavor and deep character coming from this beer.

3.66/5  rDev -13.5%

"Batch #62"
Wasn't sure what to expect from this so I poured it into a pint glass. Probably would do better in a challice....

There was plenty of residue in the bottom of the bottle so I poured rather slowly but still got a massive amount of head. Very dark opaque black body. Good lacing.

Nose: Serious alcohol smell. Lots of earthy/yeasty smells as well. Once you get past that, there is some malt and a hint of smoke. Reminds me a bit of an Islay single malt though it is buried under the alcohol.

Taste: Lots of alcohol in the initial taste. Some roasted malt as well as perhaps a woody character. A minor hop bitterness in the finish, mixed with a bit of something sweet.

Mouthfeel: Pretty carbonated. Creamy. Very full body.

Drinkability: Something about the nose made this less drinkable than other high-alcohol beers. I have a feeling this beer will do very well if allowed to mellow out for a year or two in the cellar.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch #70

A - Not a single bit of head besides a thin chocolate colored swirl, despite the rough pour. Deep cola in color with nice brown highlights at the edges of the glass.

S - The aroma is smoky and rich with dark fruits and a distinct earthy character. This smells absolutely amazing.

T - Deep earthiness accompanied by sweet dark dried fruits and a slight pepperiness and smokiness in the finish. There is also a nice slight alcohol burn that is not overwhelming. Chocolate becomes very apparent as the glass warms a bit.

M - The beer is rather flat which may just be my bottle. Despite this fact there is still a good amount of body to it.

D - Damn is this stuff good, though I do wish there was at least a little bit of carbonation to speak of. The beer is wonderfully complex and rich in flavor.

4.37/5  rDev +3.3%

Batch 74 poured from the bottle into a tulip glass.

Appearance is a dark, dark brown, that almost sucks light into it's darkness. Nice mocha head, two fingers at the pour, dissipated down to a thin layer that lasted the entire glass.

Smell is tremendous, molasses, dark fruits, tons of malt, a touch of oxidation, a bit of smoke.

Taste is intriguing, complex. Lots of malt, sweet at the outset, rummy, smoky, black licorice. Bit of hot alcohol on the finish that lasts and warms the belly.

Mouthfeel is great, thick, viscous. Lots of carbonation, big mouthfeel.

Drinkability is dangerously good at 10% abv.

3.88/5  rDev -8.3%

Batch #76, which I believe was bottled sometime around April 2010.

Pours completely opaque dark brown with some red around the edges. Absolutely no head at all, save for a few bubbles around the rim.

Smell is dominated by roasted malt: a whole lot of caramel and dark chocolate as well as some dark fruit.

Taste is very sweet followed by a somewhat tangy and smoky woodiness. I've read people say leather, which I could see, but I'm not really an expect on the taste of leather. Very strong flavors. Alcohol is there but very well balanced.

Mouthfeel is quite heavy and smooth, like a light syrup. Feels slick across the tongue and stays.

The heaviness coupled with the strength of the beer make this a slow-drinking beer. It's tasty with a lot going on.

4.61/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is apparently a very hard to find brew. At my local craft beer outlet it ran me $6 for a 12oz bottle. I am not sure if this is the going rate, I doubt I'd buy this again for 6 bucks a pop. Regardless it was worth a try. Aroma is strong fruity cherry resiny and sweet. Carbonation was very minimal but probably appropriate for the style. Taste was actually very smooth, lots of fig and sweet raisin, some cherry and chocolate was present too. This has a 10% abv but it was barely noticeable. I did detect some warm alcohol notes but nothing offensive or off balance. Not sure if there is any hops in this beer so it's definitely not for the "hop heads" out there. If you love a good strong stout or Russian Imperial this is a must try for sure.

4.38/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 84 served in a snifter.

A: An assertive ppffssst as you pop the cap. Pours a rather dark brown with ruby highlights. A fine textured, firm finger and a half beige head beckons thee.

S: The second you pour this thing out it fills the surrounding air with notes of sweet caramel and toffee. A closer sniff reveals some fruitiness(figs and dates) and some booze heat as well.

T&M: Wow! There is A LOT going on here! Booze and bitterness right up front gives way to a quick dark toffee hit and finishing with a plethora of dark fruits. The layers come through very clearly. Carbonation is perfect and feel is again just right. Not too dry, not too heavy.

O: Certainly deserving of its high ranks, this is an incredibly delicious brew. Stashed a few in the cellar and I can't wait to see what time does to this one.

Bottle of Batch 82.

Crazy strong prune/plum smell on opening. Endlessly complex nose. Taste falls a bit short of the smell, but is still darn good. Heavily carbonated, which actually hurt the mouthfeel a bit for me. I'd prefer to have more of a classic old ale texture, which I'm sure would come with age. A first-rate sipper, but I think I like Fred more, at least fresh.

4.72/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured a dark brown with a thin head which lingered through the end. had an aroma of a touch of fruit wine with toasted malt. Taste of
Sweet, rich, malty, chocolate, mild smoke. I really enjoyed this one. Strong alcohol presence has that warming feeling. This was batch 76. I would love to get some more and cellar a few for a couple of years.

2.61/5  rDev -38.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Sampled: 2.3.07

First off, this thing overflowed molten-like foam for what really should’ve been no outside reason. It had been sitting upright in my DBF for over a week, simply transported to the living room and placed on a side table, and then actually left alone there for about 5 or 6 minutes. But when I cracked it, it spewed forth in abundance. Of course, I hadn’t expected this, so I was returning the bottle opener to the kitchen when my wife alerted me to the impending mess on the floor. I was half way between spill site and paper towel rack, and I made my decision. And by the time I got back with the paper towels, it was too late. Too much sugar and/or yeast added for the bottle conditioning perhaps? Anyway, after that set up, you’d think this thing had a monster head when I finally poured it, right? Wrong. Practically nil. A mere ring around the edge and no lacing to speak of. The beer itself was a dark chocolate brown with reddish hues. The color alone is what saved it from flatline mediocrity.

Ok, the aroma. Quite interesting. It’s earthy right off the bat. Heavy, heavy raw tobacco up front. Leathery and roasted malts perk up a bit, and after some warming prunes make an appearance. Not too enticing, for my tastes. Interesting nonetheless.

Tastes is really leathery , and more tobacco, though this time, more of the smokey variety punch you in the mouth. Dark malts mingle in an alt-like atmosphere, all within a fairly hoppy profile that hangs through out and offers a light bitterness upon swallow. These complex flavors hide any alcohol content that quite honestly surprised me when I found out what it was. I didn’t feel it at all. The beer is highly carbonated, but still no head, and it leaves oily traces along the tongue.

The drinkability is low for me, as the flavor was just too rich with the tobacco & leather. Maybe this would be a good beer to sip with a cigar, but it isn’t for me. It’s tough to rate this too low, as there is certainly a complexity about it. Personal tastes, obviously, heavily influence my lower scores, but ultimately, this is a unique brew that smokey beer lovers should try.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

A foreboding sable body fills the snifter while a wild, billowing, mocha head threatens to overflow onto the coaster. The mastadonic cap of foam recedes, but leaves a substantial cap throughout the experience.
Nose is of hardwood smoke, a pile of freshly-raked autumn leaves and faint molasses.

Taste is of massive malt depth. Hops do not seem to play in this dark land of Rauchbier-esque beechwood smoke, burnt sugar, molasses and figs. Dark rye-bread-dough and a clean yeasty background. More dark, sweet fruits appear as the beer warms, but are always second fiddle to the grainy roastiness. The label’s description of smoke, chocolate, leather and figs are apt. A dense and non-standard flavor profile that is amazingly dry and un-sweet for a 10% monster. Alcohol is barely detected until even sitting becomes challenge.

A thick, velvety body borne about fine conditioning make this a pleasant sipper. A very unique and distinctive ale which defies the standard syrupy sweetness which would be expected of a beer this strength. Can’t say it was my favorite as I prefer more hop presence, but was an enjoyable diversion nonetheless.

4.1/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased at South Bay Liquor. Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass. Dark with a thick off-white head that sticks around. Aroma of plum, berries, malt, and a touch of smoke and hops. Tastes of sweet malt, smoke, berries, and a slight amount of alcohol. Aftertaste is bittersweet. Medium-bodied. Probably couldn't drink a lot of these, but one is very nice.

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room