Adam | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: Old Ale

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

#723

Ratings: 2,483 |  Reviews: 1,032

4.22/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Review number 200, so a special beer for that one! !2 oz bottle from a colleague from Portland. I poured this one into my perfect pint. From batch 81, so bottled Sept 2010, 2.5 yrs in the bottle.

Appearance: A nice dark brown beer with ruby highlights when held up to the light. This one has a huge head.

Smell: The head is retaining some of the smell. It has subsided since opening the top. I get rich malts and wonderful strong dried fruit esters. Good cigar tobacco.

Taste: Taste follows the smell quite nicely. Very complex and layered. Big malts that have some residual sweetness. Enough bitterness to edge up against this fact. The malts have a note of chocolate to go with the fruitiness. All of these fruit that I am describing is of the dark dried variety. A solid example of an old ale.

Mouthfeel: Almost viscous body with low carbonation. Strong flavors last a long time on the finish.

Overall: Old ales are not for the faint of heart, but I love flavorful beers. This one does not disappoint. I wish I could get this one regularly.

4.19/5  rDev -1.6%

Batch 75. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Half Acre snifter.

A- pours a dark amber/brown with a huge 3" tan head. Thick walls and trails of lacing remain on the glass.

S- peat, light smoke, toffee, and some light citrus.

T- sweet toffee, some smoke, peated malt, with some citrus and bitter pine.

M- medium body and high carbonation. Syrupy at first with effervescence that builds.

O- very good old ale. Huge head had me worried of infection but was not the case. Has some peat, smoke but not overpowering.

4.74/5  rDev +11.3%

12 ounce bottle into snifter; Batch 77, bottled 8/13/2009. Pours cloudy almost opaque dark reddish brown color with a small light khaki head with poor retention, that reduces to a thin lacing cap that lasts. Minimal spotty lacing, and some nice alcohol legs as well. Aromas of huge raisin, prune, fig, molasses, toffee, caramel, chocolate, toast, dark bread, leather, tobacco, earth, wood, and herbal earthiness. Insanely complex and balanced aromas with big strength; Wow. Taste of big raisin, fig, molasses, toast, toffee, prune, leather, tobacco, chocolate, roasted malt, dark bread, light char, earth, wood, and herbal earthiness. No bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark fruits, molasses, toast, toffee, caramel, chocolate, dark bread, leather, tobacco, earth, wood, light char, and herbal earthiness on the finish for a while. Incredible flavor balance with huge complexity of malty notes; with zero cloying flavors present after the finish. Light carbonation and very full bodied; with a very slick, creamy, and lightly syrupy mouthfeel that is incredible. Alcohol is insanely well hidden with almost zero warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a world class old ale! Huge complexity and balance of malty flavors; and dangerously smooth to sip on. This blew me away, wow.

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I bought a bottle (batch 76) in Indianapolis while I was in town for the 2010 Final Four (Go Duke!), and it sat in the fridge-space within my kegerator for nearly three years before I finally broke down and drank the damn thing. I don't know if I should be glad I waited and let this bottle age gracefully or if I should be angry that I let so much time pass before appreciating the beauty of what was contained in that bottle.

The first impression is fine enough, with the beer pouring a near opaque cola brown, with a thin but present beige head. The aroma entices me from the second I open the bottle, though, with a subtly complex and alluring assortment of characteristics ranging from dried figs to old leather, light wood smoke, and a light but noticeable sweetness. The flavor is likewise wonderfully varied, with notes of molasses, raisins, a little licorice, some earthy, almost peppery hops, some alcohol, a pinch of orange peel, pine mulch, dark brown sugar... I should stop since I might be making things up at this point. The texture is dense and mouth-filling, but it doesn't become syrupy and overwhelming.

Overall, this rich, exceptionally complex beer lived up to the expectations that became greater every year I didn't drink it, and I was supremely content to take a long time savoring and contemplating its nuances.

3.25/5  rDev -23.7%