Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Adam | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: Old Ale

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

#727

Ratings: 2,486 |  Reviews: 1,034

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

This is for batch 80.

Appearance is a dark, unfiltered caramel color. The head is light tan colored, soft, rocky, and roughly 3 fingers high, it diminishes a little bit but is sitting at 2 fingers after we sit and chat a bit. The lace and head is hugely retained, it doesn't want to quit!

Aroma is plenty of dark fruits, like figs or prunes and malts, sweetness and sugar, molasses and/or mildly burnt caramel, lighter notes of chocolate which I would have never guessed I would smell from such a light roasted malt bill.

Taste is smoked, leather, burnt peat moss (and smokeyness similar to the Alaskan brewery malts), some dark fruits/figs/or cherries, some chocolate (bitter at first and turns into creamier milk as it goes on). Not quite as good as the aroma is, but still pretty good.

Silky or velvety consistency, light to creamy (maybe even round) carbonation, with a medium to balanced body, average, wet finish.

Overall this is a decently good offering from the Northwest. I could bug my sister for this one, but thanks to matttYCE for this offering, I don't have to.

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

My first beer of 2012 and also my first Hair of the Dog Brew. Looking forward to this...

batch number 83.

poured into oversized snifter glass.

Appearance: mucky muttled dark brown boided beer with a huge khaki colored head from a fairly gentile pour! Nice lacing on the glass. Awesome looking beer!

Smell: Big malts and big hops! This smells really balanced. From the malt profile I am picking up huge caramel and toffee notes. Hops are spicy and citrisy. Pineapple and grapefruit notes from the hops. Got some smoke and molasses in there too! I detect a bit of booze in the nose as well. There is just tons of things going on in this nose holy crap! My Olfactory senses are almost overwhelmed.

Taste: The sweetness from the malts is upfront. Huge caramel notes from the massive malts profile. Toffee and some dark friut contribute to the malt profile. Mid palate this beer transitions to the hops to add some great balance. Its a moderate hoppiness to tame this malt beast and it balances it really well. I taste some pine, grapefruit, and even pineappple that was in the nose. I get a bacon aftertaste from the smoke which dries this beer out a bit.

Mouthfeel: This is a big beer that drinks like a medium bodied beer. Carbonation levels are dialed in well at the low end of medium. You can tell without a doubt that this beer is bottle conditioned. Its so damn smooth and easy drinking. The hops feel wet at midpalate and the beer finishes dry from the smoke note at the end. Never experienced a mouthfeel like this...

Overall: Why have I not drank any Hair of the Dog beers yet!?! I am honestly just blown away by this beer! I can easily say this is the best Old Ale I have ever had. This beer should age really well and its great fresh. Don't pass this beer up.

4.25/5  rDev -0.2%

4.15/5  rDev -2.6%

This is for batch 80.

Appearance is a dark, unfiltered caramel color. The head is light tan colored, soft, rocky, and roughly 3 finger high head. The head diminishes a little bit but is sitting at 2 fingers after we sit and talk for minutes on end. The lace and head is hugely retained, it doesn't want to quit!

Aroma is plenty of dark fruits (figs or prunes) and malts, sweetness and sugar, molasses and/or mildly burnt caramel, lighter notes of chocolate.

Overall this is a decently good offering from the Northwest that's not hard to get but obviously not local/have to bug the relatives to get/have to trade for.

3.83/5  rDev -10.1%

Batch 81 poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a dark brown with a fingers worth of tan head. A slight reddish hue is also visible. A good amount of lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Smells of a malty chocolate. Some alcohol is apparent as well.

T- I get dark fruits initially. Followed by chocolate and a slight alcohol sting.

M- Heavy, medium carbonation.

This is the first Old Ale I've had. I enjoyed it. I have two other bottles of batch 81 that will be cellared away for awhile. I'm interested to see what some time does to this one.

Batch 73, acquired from Imstillthegman courtesy of the BA Vets, so a big “Thank You” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a dark reddish brown color, with a large light brown head that fades slowly and leaves a spotty lace on the glass.

S: The aroma contains dark fruit, chocolate, caramelized malts and some hops.

T: The taste starts out sweet with flavors of chocolate, bourbon, caramel and dark fruit. Then a hearty roasted malt character comes in along with a mild alcohol sting. The hops presence is mild but complementary and creates a good balance. The sweet flavors return for the finish leaving a slightly sweet after-taste.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, strong kick, good representation of style, this is a decent stronger beer to sip on for a while.

1.5/5  rDev -64.8%

4.55/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at HotD.

The original reason I wanted to go to HotD (found it once in NYC, hadn't heard of it).

My taster head was gone by the time I tasted it, but mega lace remained. Chocolate brown/black body.

Rich, roasty malt nose.

Smoke, leather, significant hops in the taste, kinda herbal.

Super rich and smooth.

Remarkable beer of a forgotten style, unfortunately distribution is sparse. I regret not trying Adam from the Wood while there, but time didn't allow.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Bought a case of this (batch 82) to fortify my cellar collection. Poured a fresh bottle into a snifter.

A- dark brown color, with tan head. A lot of lacing.

S- raisins, figs, molasses

T-alcohol taste up front. Molasses, dried fruits, caramel, malt, bittersweet chocolate. Similar to a stout?

M- smooth and syrupy mouthfeel with not much carbonation.

O- the flavor changed from molasses/ dried fruits to a coffee/ bitter sweet chocolate taste over a period of 5 minutes. This is a very strong and complex beer. I was attracted the the name of this beer after a night of several Pliny's and the movie The Shining. This beer does not disappoint.

4.38/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 77 cellared and poured into a Chimay Goblet

A- dark brownish black w/ 1 finger head that faded. Nice lacing on the sides of glass. Really nice looking beer, what i would expect a "Hearty Old World Ale" to look like.

S- really nice mix of dark fruits (figs, prunes & raisins) molasses, caramel, booze, malt, and a touch of smoke.

T- Raisins, Figs, Prunes, bit of chocolate, caramel, malt. W/ a warm booziness at the backend followed by sweetness. A very complex beer, the flavor profile is changing as it warms up. Picking up some smoke and bourbon notes as the temp changes.

M- smooth, silky, velvety nice subtle carbonation. Finishes as smooth as it starts

O- Im honored to share my name w/ this beer. Picked this up on a wim when i first started getting into craft beer because it had my name on it. Thus opening my eyes to Hair of the Dog beers.
This beer is wonderfully complex and beautifully balanced. A very enjoyable beer and given the alcohol content its amazingly drinkable. As I said the flavour profile changes throughout the beer and gets better and better with every sip. Absolutely great beer, lives up to the hype and the name. Thank you Hair of the Dog well done!

3.5/5  rDev -17.8%

4.47/5  rDev +4.9%

Knew this one would be good, but just didn't see it around my area. Knew a few restaurants who had it and places who had it one tap but never got to cross paths until I spotted it chasing something else, here we go.

A - Pours a murky brown, looks like a barleywine, which is good, with an insane mocha head that just camps out and doesnt move. Looks awsome.

S - Whoa. Malt, Caramel, Booze, Dark Fruit with some Chocolatey notes, maybe best smelling olde I've had a chance to try

T - Malt and caramel, sweet, chocolate notes in the finish, a bit hot but smooth, very nice

M - Bit chewy, but super smooth, head that stays adds to this character for me, got a bit of lingering bitterness as it warmed a bit, not bad, but kinda snuck in there.

D - Definitely a sipper

Its a shame it took me this long to finally get this one because Im going to be drinking this every time I see it from now on. Somewhat surprised by the chocolate in this beer as I haven't gotten those tastes from other awesome Olde's but I'm definitely going need all the other versions now.

Definitely a classic for the style and in general, probably preaching to the choir, but this beer rocks.

4.42/5  rDev +3.8%

Batch 82, 12oz bottle poured into a Russian River sniffer.

A - Almost black, dark brown. Thick tan foamy head.

S - Smells exactly like the fruit leathers I used to eat as a kid from Mrs. Gooch's :) Subtle smokiness as well. A light sense of booze in the tail end.

T - High malt kick right off the bat. More of the fig/fruit taste coming through. Roasty and smoky are two words I would definitely use.

M - Heavy, juicy, leathery.

O - A very nice treat, not for everyday consumption, but the more I sip it the more I like it!

4.23/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Lucky that my 'hood beer hole got a keg of this in.Thank you Sunswick

A-Dark Brown body with a 1 finger head that goes away pretty quick.

S-Malted note with prune chocolate and a bit of oak.

T-earthy pine note until I get whacked by raisin, cocoa, and the roasted malt.

M-good body, not too carbonated. Lingers in you mouth the way a good bourbon does, very nice finish.

O-glad this came around. I have been intimidated by the price tag, but might pick some up for a special occasion. Look out other Oregon breweries, here I come!

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room