Adam | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: Old Ale

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

#722

Ratings: 2,483 |  Reviews: 1,032

2.5/5  rDev -41.3%

3.75/5  rDev -12%

4.43/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 89, which I'll guess was brewed around mid-2013. Served just cool in a tulip.

A - 4.25 - First pour, though not aggressive at all, is 95% head and it takes several minutes to dissipate down to a half inch. Second pour, very gentle and close, yields half as much head but still a lot. It's a thick, rich, creamy, uniform, light tan head that looks like custard you could eat with a spoon. Once it settles down, the beer overall looks very nice, though I'd give it a quarter point more if it didn't have a slight lakewater murkiness to it. You have to look close to see it and I'll be careful with the next one in case the fault lies with my sedimenty pour. The beer is so dark brown that it looks black in medium lighting.

S - 4.25 - Smells exactly like...something. Can't put my finger on it. Some kind of fresh smell from my youth almost like some kind of fresh green wood, but more foodlike. That smell fades with the head, leaving something somewhat reminiscent of some of the common aroma notes from cognacs, but leaning notably toward something on the chocolate spectrum, hint of caramel. Some malty coffee.

T - 4.5 - Initially a clean taste with some kind of irresistible fruit that morphs neatly into something sharp, heading towards tart but not quite making it. Then very nice chocolate liqueur notes. Others here have listed notes of smoke and leather like it says on the bottle, but I'm not getting those, nor figs either really. I suppose I get a hint of the kind of black malt char you'd get in an imperial stout, so maybe that's a cousin to smoke. It's less like other old ales I've had. Really comes off closer to a chocolate stout overall.

Ends with a slight puff/hint of some kind of fruit and quickly into bitter dark chocolate that endures and tingles the salivary glands a bit. I get the alcohol presence during and after swallowing but it's very welcome and quickly heats up the ears. The booze fumes are tinged with fruit on the exhale, like a dark chocolate covered strawberry with the barest hint of sour that's there and then gone. Rich chocolatey burps. There is surprising and delicate complexity here amidst the rich flavors.

M - 4.5 - Was expecting a thicker and more viscous body but I'd call it medium. There's a bit of graininess to it, like actual grains of undissolved hot chocolate mix, but I must have handled and poured carelessly becuase I didn't even think about the bottle conditioning until after pouring and I can see sediment granules in there. Ends dry on the tongue leaving a hint of sting like barely-present habanero - not the actual pepper taste, but a faintly similar hint of something hot. Later in the glass my tongue had gotten acclimated to that and I didn't notice it anymore, just a tannic dryness. It's not often that the mouthfeel alone can communicate complexity, but this one does.

O - 4.5 - This is a really fine beer. I actually had higher hopes for this one than I did for Fred, and while this one is really good, Fred is the luscious winner in my book. But it's apples and oranges I guess. And this is still a very interesting beer and its complexity and composition are worthy of the Hair of the Dog name. Pros, those guys, among the very best. While I've had a handful of more delicious beers (though this is delicious), what this beer has is complexity. I mean, things are happening in your mouth, different things at different times, an interplay between flavor elements and mouthfeel elements. It's a journey. That's what I'm looking for in a beer.

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room