Adam | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States

Style: Old Ale

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

Reviews: 1,016 | Ratings: 2,421
3.85/5  rDev -9%

Pours thick black with tan head. Aroma is roasty like a stout but with a distinct dark fruityness.

Thick mouthfeel but smooth with a hint of a bitter finish. Some warming is noticable from the 10% ABV. Kind of syrupy sticky aftertaste.

Taste is stoutish with much more sweetness. Dark roasted and chocolate character but with a doublebock sweetness to it. Dark dried fruit sweetness.

Interesting brew. For a historical beer it's not as bad as I expected. Good to know my ancestors didn't always drink swill.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

I had two tulip glasses of Adam at the brewery on 6/15/2012.

Appearance: Adam is a dark, opaque brown with a very faint head.

Smell: Aroma is dominated by lots of dark fruit, malt, yeast, and a slight vegetable note.

Taste: The taste is very similar to the smell with lots of fruit (plum, prune, berries), yeast, and a candy sugar sweetness. However, there is very apparent alcohol present.

Mouthfeel: Adam isn’t as heavy feeling as I expected from the appearance. The mouthfeel is, on balance, very smooth and well carbonated.

Overall: Adam is a solid beer but, to be honest, I wasn’t blown away. I really enjoyed the complexity but I found the alcohol and candy sugar sweetness upset the balance of the beer a bit too much. That said, I did order a second pour so I obviously liked it.

PS: The bartender that served us at the taproom was really rude. We were trying to have a couple of beers on a sunny Friday afternoon and she kept snapping at us and grunted one-word answers at my questions.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

12 oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip. Strong tan head, not too thick and creamy, but great head retention and pretty serious lacing. Color is a cola brown/black. Smell is peculiar and somewhat hard to describe. Its sweet, with licorice, i suspect probably really brewed with a decent amount of brewing licorice. Its hard to pick up the malts behind it but probably an amber base with a bit of black and or peated malt. Taste isnt thin, slightly bitter with a malty peculiar finish. Its quite enjoyable. I'm not familiar with many other examples of the old ale style, but this is enjoyable and one to revisit. I suspect a bit of aging would significantly improve this offering and mellow the bitter bite and smooth out the smoke.

3.85/5  rDev -9%

A: Dark chocolate brown with small visible bubbling. Barely any head when poured, bubbly film sits atop the beer; sparse but lingering lacing
S: Brown sugar, rum raisin, chocolate. The bottle says leather... I'm getting it.
T: Dark fig, chocolate, coffee and nutmeg. Cola aftertaste. Strong alcoholic sting on the end.
M: Smooth, surprisingly very little carbonation. The alcohol sting follows in the taste a bit.
D: Tasty but too heavy and sweet to have more than one in a sitting.

3.84/5  rDev -9.2%

This beer pours a very dark brown color. When held up to the light, it appers a dark mohogany color. It boasts a huge light brown head. I hope this beer isnt bad, with a massive head like this from such a gentle pour. The head fades ever so slowly, leaving a good lacing.

This beer has a nice mild caramel malrt aroma. It has some dark currant aroma as well. The alcohol is present in the aroma.

This beer has a very aggressive sweet caramel malt flavor. Wow, I was expecting an Old Ale, and I get a strong Barley Wine. Alcohol is present in the flavor. Black currant and figs. Some tobacco as well. It has a slight earthy flavor. Aslo, a very subtle smokey flavor. Very complex.

This beer is very full bodied. It goes down smooth, leaving a sweet caramel aftertaste. The alcohol warms as it goes down. Carbonation is low.

This beer would probably not be a good session beer. It is high in alcohol, and it is very aggressive. It is not one to drink all night long.

Overall: This beer is good. It is definately not a bad bottle, like the head led me to believe. I would drink it again.

3.84/5  rDev -9.2%

Big malty aroma with a hint of belgian yeastiness, but not really. Flavor is big on the malt with chocolate and other dark flavors predominant. Not much in the way of hops, but what was there fit in nicely. Surprisingly you get a bit of burn from the alcohol despite the fact I've had stronger beers that left no burn.

3.84/5  rDev -9.2%

A - Pours with no head, an almost apple juice like light bubble at the top, not a head, just surface bubbles. Deep, deep cola/amber like color.

S - Apple Juice and Smoke, It smells terrific!

T/M - Again apples, fig, smoke. No carbonation, but MAJOR mouthfeel. Impressive flavor for an old ale.

O - Very flavorful, Very big, very well hidden as far as the 10% ABV goes, smoke subsides after a handful of sips. This is a ringer, seek it out and try it!

PP (Price Point) - $4.49 for a 12oz. bottle, A somewhat fair PP, I would feel more comfortable around $3.75 or so, but well worth it when you add up the ABV that it delivers, plus the TASTE! Very good!

3.84/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 71

A - Very cloudy dark brown with no head of lacing

S - Raisins, caramel, alcohol, and leather. Slightly sweet

T - Raisins, leather, and a little bit of smoke

M - Medium body but no carbonation what so ever. Also coats the gums

D - Nice and complex but will have to re review a different batch that is actually carbonated.

Batch 72.

Color: Dark brown with a tan lasting head.

Very little aroma to start. Some alcohol and roast later.

Taste: reminds me of world wide stout. Sweet and roasty. Firm bitterness to balance out. Dark fruit flavors.

A little too hot to get a higher rating.

I'm surprised this is classified as an old ale. Two beers that I find similar are Stone RIS and World Wide Stout. I thought it was too dark and roasty to be an old ale. Also, a little too clean for an old ale.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

A foreboding sable body fills the snifter while a wild, billowing, mocha head threatens to overflow onto the coaster. The mastadonic cap of foam recedes, but leaves a substantial cap throughout the experience.
Nose is of hardwood smoke, a pile of freshly-raked autumn leaves and faint molasses.

Taste is of massive malt depth. Hops do not seem to play in this dark land of Rauchbier-esque beechwood smoke, burnt sugar, molasses and figs. Dark rye-bread-dough and a clean yeasty background. More dark, sweet fruits appear as the beer warms, but are always second fiddle to the grainy roastiness. The label’s description of smoke, chocolate, leather and figs are apt. A dense and non-standard flavor profile that is amazingly dry and un-sweet for a 10% monster. Alcohol is barely detected until even sitting becomes challenge.

A thick, velvety body borne about fine conditioning make this a pleasant sipper. A very unique and distinctive ale which defies the standard syrupy sweetness which would be expected of a beer this strength. Can’t say it was my favorite as I prefer more hop presence, but was an enjoyable diversion nonetheless.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured into a snifter. Pours almost opague with some ruby highlight's. Really no lacing or fluffy heading. Completely flat.

Smell is all malt at first. A bit more fruity in those that nanticipated. Some light fig notes and a subtle tart cherry aroma.

EEEK Gads there is absolutely not carbonation in this beer. Someone must have put this in a paint shaker. Anyway from what I can get it was all malt. Other subtle flavors of fig,smoke,and a bit of chocolate. Does seem very tasty but extremely flat.

Mouth is well did I mention FLAT. A full bodied beer and a definite sipper. Even flat you could easily have a couple of these though.

This seems to be a very good beer but it was a just flat. A bit disappointing. Glady I picked up two of these bad boys. Hopefully the next will not be like that.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Batch 81 poured into a snifter.

A- Pours a dark brown with a fingers worth of tan head. A slight reddish hue is also visible. A good amount of lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Smells of a malty chocolate. Some alcohol is apparent as well.

T- I get dark fruits initially. Followed by chocolate and a slight alcohol sting.

M- Heavy, medium carbonation.

This is the first Old Ale I've had. I enjoyed it. I have two other bottles of batch 81 that will be cellared away for awhile. I'm interested to see what some time does to this one.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Poured into a stone nonic. Big thanks to my sister grabbing a bottle of this for me straight from Oregon.

A: Pours dark with a mixture of the deepest purple and browns, passing possible as black. Despite a very moderate pour a massive 3 inch head spawned with big foamy clumps forming the lacing.

S: Beef jerkey, leather, dark cherry sharp sweetness, and black beans in the nose. Very dark and powerful.

T: The nose with additional choking character to the jerkey and leather and some soysauce savoriness with a little molasses in the ending. Again, dark and powerful in both sweetness and savoriness.

M: Creaminess from the head sits ontop of a medium body, thoroughly carbonated body. A little bit of a yeast-like residue hangs around randomly after some sips.

O: A nice beer, but I was reminded strongly of a good number of other beers I've had. Nothing too shocking or interesting in this beer, if you've had enough you've had almost all of the flavors before. That being said, for those who loves those very dark cowboy flavors, this beer is for you and is dangerously drinkable considering the big ABV.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Dark brownish-black with chunks. Huge creamy beige head, wicked retentive and sticky. Real nice soft yeast aroma with strawberry, ash, apricot, chocolate covered cherries, and alcohol. Flavor is very complex, woody, and smokey. There is a burning alcohol feel and spicy hop character. Creamy and fuzzy.

I don't mind alcohol flavor, but when it burns I take it as a sign that I am drinking something that I should not drink. This also gave me a headache. This beer is great except for the huge alcohol flavor, burn, and headache. Tone that down and you have yourself an absolute winner. As it is, I might try it again some time.

3.83/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours a very dark brown/ black color, a lot like an imperial stout. Aroma is deceptively light, hops are up from where if I was blindfolded I would think this is a sweeter dipa or a heavily hopped barley wine. Taste is sweet, malty and hoppy. Fruits are present and welcomed. Smooth for what it is, but I want to sip this one, great beer, I'll have another

Bottle of batch #70.

It pours a murky, dark brown, with ruby highlights with no head at all.

It smelled of burning wood, dark malts, caramel, maple and raisins. It tastes really good despite my thinking that I had a flat beer in front of me. I get roasted malts right away, with dark fruits.

It still drinks flat, but it's not a bad thing. Very hard for me to describe as I know I need another sample seeing as some reviews are similar to mine, but many more describe something different. I need more.

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

12 oz bottle split with Beerwolf77 and poured into a Meantime tulip. 10% ABV, Batch #74.

Thanks to NeroFiddled for this bottle!

A - A tall pour created a low off-white tan head with low retention and almost no lace. The color is a dark brown that's almost black.

S - A bit of liquid smoke floats around the really malty, rye bread aroma with a leather strop scent. A hot boozy alcohol isn't huge but rather mellow and persistent enough to cause a little tingle in the nostril.

T - The flavor is near right on part with the aroma. Lots of toasted malts giving off a leathery, light smoke flavor and low level of alcohol. A light hoppy finish with some pine in there. Really earthy flavored.

M - Rich and roasty with a full body and dry roasted finish. Medium level of carbonation with no distraction.

D - A sipping beer that's totally earthy with some good nuances. The alcohol is a bit much I think. With some more age all the flavors will blend pretty well.

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Glass: Over sized wine glass.

Appearance: Dark black with red highlights, and a frothy mocha head that dissipated rather quickly.

Aroma: Fruity, strong sweet malt, and alcohol. Smells fantastic.

Taste: Sweet and smokey malts, with a strong alcohol finish.

Mouthfeel: Thin, soft carbonation with an alcohol warming finish.

The smell of was so outstanding I could inhale the aroma all day, however the amazing aroma gave me high expectations that the flavor simply did not deliver on. I was expecting a complex range of flavor while in my opinion this beer has a simplistic flavor.

Batch #60
Over the top carbonation, even with a careful pour I got a glass full of head. Once it calmed down enough to fill my glass I was left with a dark purplish-red beer topped with a four finger reddish-tan head, leaving puffy webs of lacing.
The aroma rushes out of the bottle almost as fast as the beer did, fruity, quite robust, leafy note, earthy with nuts, dark fruit, smoke and grain.
Malty taste, smoked and roasted, earthy and floral.
Full bodied, it's nice to try but I wouldn't go back to it - the smoky note was interesting.

3.82/5  rDev -9.7%

A: Carbonation explodes out of the beer unlike any Hair of the Dog beer I've seen. The beer is very dark in color and the head is light brown. Huge bubbles form and explode as the head slowly recedes, leaving large clumps of lacing as it does. I was excited to see the carbonation, but this is actually a bit too much. It took forever to pour out 12oz. 3.5

S: The aroma is very earthy, but I do note pilsner-like characteristics that I assume come from the malt. Slight hoppiness adds a nice layer, and the booze rounds it all out. Very fruity and boozy. 4

T: The earthy booziness really assaults the tastebuds. Grassy hops at the finish add to the earthiness. The pilsner taste is there as well at the beginning, which is overtaken by booze, dark fruits, and some roasted malt. The hops finish it off, along with any remaining alcohol. I'm left with a really grassy, citrusy taste that sticks around forever. 4

MF: Thick body that is a bit over carbonated, but not so much that it detracts from the taste. Once you get through the billowing head it's all good. The booze is a bit too much and hurts the drinkability, but overall I enjoy the mouthfeel. 3.5

O: This was a good beer in a style I typically steer clear of. I really don't understand why it's so highly ranked, but I also don't appreciate the style. 3.5

3.81/5  rDev -9.9%

Pours dark ruby red with a light nut-brown head, thick and lacy. Aroma of dark chocolate, cascade hops. Taste was huge raisiny-malt with chocolate and slightly burnt finish, iron-like. Mouthfeel was very smooth and creamy. This is a good beer, better to split though, one is almost more than enough.

3.81/5  rDev -9.9%

If you get a chance, go to the web site and check your batch number and when it was brewed and bottled. Poured a cloudy dark brown hue similar to a mahogany color. A good frothy head with smaller bubbles and great lacing lasting through the whole tasting.

The smell is rich with noticeable fruity aromas throughout. A noticeable smell overall. Some plums, black cherries and sweeter figs notes have a strong influence. The malt is big and some phenol characteristics at the end.

The taste is also rich but with upstart fruity notes limiting its complexity. Maybe it should have aged more, but come fig and cherry are more noticeable then the malt. Some hints of raisins and esters as well is a touch of yeast bite at the end.

The body is full but should have more (in my opinion). Old Ales can vary, but this seems lacking for an old ale. Overall the taste is good with a unique fruity flavor, and worth another try. As for my batch, I’m a 61! Go 61!!!

Batch 47 - 12 oz. bottle
Poured a deep maroon with very small tan colored head. Light but consistent carbonation. Aroma of roasted barley prevalent with almost a porter like aroma, a raisin note also noted. Felt strong in the mouth with a lot of fullness, hid the alcohol well though. Roasted coffee taste is dominant, sweet finish with very little bitterness. As it warmed, prune, raisin, date or fig flavors and aromas seemd to come out for me.

Very nice beer, kind of surprised by the porter undertones but solid effort.

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

12 oz bottle from batch 76. Pours a dark crimson color, fairly clear. Huge, stiff tan head. Lacing is sick.

Nose is both hoppy and malty...great balance. Toffee and burnt sugar opposed by dark fruit and pine hops.

Big time leather and chocolate, bitter smoke. Hops provide plenty of bitterness. Mouthfeel is nice, big beer but the ABV is well restrained in the flavor. I enjoyed Fred better than this one, but it is still pretty damn tasty. I would be thrilled to have a case of these hanging out in the cellar.

3.8/5  rDev -10.2%

A: Batch 76. Barely hissed when opened, barely developed a head when poured. A patch of soapy looking bubbles floats in the middle of the glass and a ring rests around the edge. A swirl produces some off white bubbles, but nothing retaining. The beer is a dark brown, plum color. Noticing some legs on the side of the glass as well.

S: Dark fruits like plum and raisin with some currant type aromas as well. Has a woody aroma with some tobacco and blackstrap molasses. Almost picking up a grape jelly aroma here too. The alcohol is strong, hard for a 10% not to be. Picking up a band-aid aroma and some off-putting phenols here though.

T: Very roasty and smokey/tobacco like flavors. Some of the fruits come through, but this beer finishes pretty bitter. After seeing some people describe this as cloying, this was an interesting difference. If I enjoyed cigars, this would certainly pair well. It definitely has characteristics of an old ale underneath but the overwhelming smokey wood and tobacco flavors are what stands out most for me. Interesting take on the style.

M: Has a heavy body upfront that seems to get thinned by the alcohol heat on the end. Leaves the lips sticky and the teeth dry in a strange fashion.

D: Was thinking about another beer after this one, but this may take a while to get through this one. The flavors are very unique, as I have noticed with the HOTD big beers. An enjoyable beer, but not sure if I'm willing to shell out the dough for another one of these in the near future.

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room