Adam | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: Old Ale

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

#723

Ratings: 2,483 |  Reviews: 1,032
2.5/5  rDev -41.3%

2.54/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.5

Deep cola color - almost black - with a thin lacing. Aroma does have some huskier malt smells, and maybe even a little earthy hop, but there is an astringent alcohol ester that is pretty harsh & unwelcoming.

Taste is a little bit smoother - lots of dark fig upfront, heavy caramel malt - but that ester really brings out a leathery tannin flavor that just does not work for me. It is very fusel, and bullies the other flavors. I get this a lot of HotD beers so I guess they just aren't for me.

2.56/5  rDev -39.9%

Batch # 80, 12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter.

A- Dark brownish black with a HUGE light brown head. It took quite a while for the head to go down.

S- A bit harsh at first but then weakens. Very complex aroma of heavy booze, raisins, leather, and chocolate.

T- Harsh. Very boozy with a leather-like smoky chemical flavor, backed up by faint chocolaty raisins. Strange bitter after taste. Its 10% abv but this thing drank more like a 20. I was literally sweating after a few sips.

M- Very thick and syrupy with low carbonation. Lips numb.

O- Couldn't finish. This beer just didn't work for me at all. The tasted faded a bit as I drank more but still, not good. Every sip was a chore. I had to pour it out which I really do not like doing. Undrinkable.

2.61/5  rDev -38.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Sampled: 2.3.07

First off, this thing overflowed molten-like foam for what really should’ve been no outside reason. It had been sitting upright in my DBF for over a week, simply transported to the living room and placed on a side table, and then actually left alone there for about 5 or 6 minutes. But when I cracked it, it spewed forth in abundance. Of course, I hadn’t expected this, so I was returning the bottle opener to the kitchen when my wife alerted me to the impending mess on the floor. I was half way between spill site and paper towel rack, and I made my decision. And by the time I got back with the paper towels, it was too late. Too much sugar and/or yeast added for the bottle conditioning perhaps? Anyway, after that set up, you’d think this thing had a monster head when I finally poured it, right? Wrong. Practically nil. A mere ring around the edge and no lacing to speak of. The beer itself was a dark chocolate brown with reddish hues. The color alone is what saved it from flatline mediocrity.

Ok, the aroma. Quite interesting. It’s earthy right off the bat. Heavy, heavy raw tobacco up front. Leathery and roasted malts perk up a bit, and after some warming prunes make an appearance. Not too enticing, for my tastes. Interesting nonetheless.

Tastes is really leathery , and more tobacco, though this time, more of the smokey variety punch you in the mouth. Dark malts mingle in an alt-like atmosphere, all within a fairly hoppy profile that hangs through out and offers a light bitterness upon swallow. These complex flavors hide any alcohol content that quite honestly surprised me when I found out what it was. I didn’t feel it at all. The beer is highly carbonated, but still no head, and it leaves oily traces along the tongue.

The drinkability is low for me, as the flavor was just too rich with the tobacco & leather. Maybe this would be a good beer to sip with a cigar, but it isn’t for me. It’s tough to rate this too low, as there is certainly a complexity about it. Personal tastes, obviously, heavily influence my lower scores, but ultimately, this is a unique brew that smokey beer lovers should try.

2.75/5  rDev -35.4%

2.91/5  rDev -31.7%

This is my first review of any HotD beer and 100th unique brewer. 12 oz. (Batch 80) sent by cb462 as an extra. Thanks! Poured into a snifter.

Deep, dark mahogany with a good and creamy textured khaki-brown head. Medium head retention and ok lacing. Good for its kind. Aroma is sweet malts, hint of smoke, some dried fruit. Certainly leather. No booze. Very generic, however, especially because it's so mute.

Tastes disappointing :/ I had high hopes and I am feeling let down. I can see the potential but it seems too rough. Some sweetness with a biting earthy bitterness, roast, and over the top astringent character. Medium finish with a lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel is above average with understated carbonation and a medium body. Overall though, it drinks more like a blend of a barleywine and Old Rasputin, than a barleywine on its own. I don't like it.

Appearance 4/5; Aroma 3/5; Taste 2.5/5; Mouthfeel 3.5/5; Overall 3/5

2.96/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Bought somewhere in Oregon for me. Batch 71.

A - Pours very dark brown, almost black. Beautiful mocha or capuccino color head. Head has lots of protein chunks, dissipates very slow, and leaves beautiful lacing.

S - Malts, ginger, spice, flowers, bittersweet chocolate, a leathery pungency, and light alcohol.

T - Chocolate, lots of licorice, almost leathery. Moderate alcohol.

M - Very intense and sharp tasting. When I drink a home brew like this, I know it needs to age longer.

D - The flavors need to settle. Slightly acute in taste, the alcohol has almost a dominating flavor. The bottles really need to age at least a year or more before it becomes a good beer.

I will probably re-review this in a year or so. BATCH 71 NEEDS TO AGE ANOTHER YEAR!!!

3.01/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter. Batch 76, which I believe is a 2010 vintage.

2.0 A: Dark brown color. No head at all. None. Not surprised, but disappointed nonetheless.

3.5 S: Loads of tobacco and raisin. Date, fig, and prune after that. Sweet toffee and caramel. Minor notes of oxidation. This smells pretty good despite no carbonation. It'd proabably be amazing with some.

3.5 T: Tobacco and rum raisin kick this off. Dates, figs, prunes, toffee, and plenty of caramel. Basically the same as the nose. Again, some sherry-like oxidation. Same as the nose. Would be much tastier with carbonation.

1.5 M: Heavier medium body. Not fully flat, but whatever is the lowest detectable amount In any case, it ruins whatever creaminess this had in store.

2.5 D: I think this could be a damn good beer if it was allowed to be. As it stands, it's at the lower end of average. With carbonation, I could see this easily breaking the 4s. But, I won't know tonight. I've been having nothing been trouble with b-wines from the cellar and their carbonation lately. It's starting to grow tiresome.

3.01/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

EDIT:
This breaks my heart! My top rated beer took a kick to the nuts today. On draft at HotD taproom. Butterscotch was significant. Gone was the leather and molasses, spice and other characteristics. Just a too smooth buttery feel and taste. Not a butter bomb, but enough to ruin my deep seated love :(

I"m such an A-hole I don't remember who gave this too me. It was a trade at FRTH, I know your face!! Thanks for this wonder brew

This is almost a perfect 5 for me, but I think it misses the style, probably by a lot, but it's too damn good to mark more off.

Pours a dark chestnut, almost black. Off-brown/tan head, dense, creamy, foaming up to about 2 fingers. Lacing is slick.

Great aroma. Rich and full. Dark fruits, coffee, chocolate, leather, molasses. hint of vanilla and anise. Yum

Taste is richer and fuller. Subtle at first, then the flavors hit. Wow. Leather up front, black chocolate, baked caramel, black plum. Molasses adds to the roasted malt sweetness, but the leather and some prune come in with a dash of anise to dry it out a bit. A touch of tannin. Smmmoooth. Oh my. A slightly dry finish, but mostly smooth. Alcohol is a non-factor

My first HotD beer and I'm wowed. Gonna have to hit my brother up in Washington to keep on eye out for these.

3.07/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle poured into snifter

A: khaki colored off white head nice creamy looking texture. Body was brackish dark amber brown nearing black with no clairity.

S: smells like huge piney resiny hops some very light leather and oak

T: smokey huge smoke light hops

M: creamy and medium i thought it would be much thicker.

O: This is a horrible beer its smoke over plays the entire taste and the feel is is too thin and the beer completely misrepresents what you thnk. It is not a quality ba old ale it is a smoked beer that is just average.

3.07/5  rDev -27.9%

At a tasting with jrallen34.

A - Pours a dark mohagany color with pretty much know head. Looks somewhat intimidating just sitting there with litle activity, but not a whole lot going on with it.

S - A sharp, lighter sweetness with the caramel malts. Dark fruit and a surprising hops bite on the end of this. Little bit of alcohol burn on there as well.

T - Not as good as it smells. A lot of licorice and some dark fruit. Very heavy malts and something that tastes burnt, like wood or maybe even barley? Touch of brown sugar, but it's overpoweringly burnt and fairly disappointing.

M - Under carbonated, almost flat. Full bodied.

D - Hard to drink due to the pungent tastes and the high abv. Had trouble splitting the bottle.

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room