Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Adam | Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room

Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room
Oregon, United States
hairofthedog.com

Style: Old Ale

A re-creation of an historic beer style originally made in Dortmund, Germany. Adam was the first beer produced by Hair of the Dog.

10% alcohol by volume
50 IBUs.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 09-12-2001

#728

Ratings: 2,486 |  Reviews: 1,034
2.91/5  rDev -31.7%

This is my first review of any HotD beer and 100th unique brewer. 12 oz. (Batch 80) sent by cb462 as an extra. Thanks! Poured into a snifter.

Deep, dark mahogany with a good and creamy textured khaki-brown head. Medium head retention and ok lacing. Good for its kind. Aroma is sweet malts, hint of smoke, some dried fruit. Certainly leather. No booze. Very generic, however, especially because it's so mute.

Tastes disappointing :/ I had high hopes and I am feeling let down. I can see the potential but it seems too rough. Some sweetness with a biting earthy bitterness, roast, and over the top astringent character. Medium finish with a lingering bitterness.

Mouthfeel is above average with understated carbonation and a medium body. Overall though, it drinks more like a blend of a barleywine and Old Rasputin, than a barleywine on its own. I don't like it.

Appearance 4/5; Aroma 3/5; Taste 2.5/5; Mouthfeel 3.5/5; Overall 3/5

2.96/5  rDev -30.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Bought somewhere in Oregon for me. Batch 71.

A - Pours very dark brown, almost black. Beautiful mocha or capuccino color head. Head has lots of protein chunks, dissipates very slow, and leaves beautiful lacing.

S - Malts, ginger, spice, flowers, bittersweet chocolate, a leathery pungency, and light alcohol.

T - Chocolate, lots of licorice, almost leathery. Moderate alcohol.

M - Very intense and sharp tasting. When I drink a home brew like this, I know it needs to age longer.

D - The flavors need to settle. Slightly acute in taste, the alcohol has almost a dominating flavor. The bottles really need to age at least a year or more before it becomes a good beer.

I will probably re-review this in a year or so. BATCH 71 NEEDS TO AGE ANOTHER YEAR!!!

3.01/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 2 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a snifter. Batch 76, which I believe is a 2010 vintage.

2.0 A: Dark brown color. No head at all. None. Not surprised, but disappointed nonetheless.

3.5 S: Loads of tobacco and raisin. Date, fig, and prune after that. Sweet toffee and caramel. Minor notes of oxidation. This smells pretty good despite no carbonation. It'd proabably be amazing with some.

3.5 T: Tobacco and rum raisin kick this off. Dates, figs, prunes, toffee, and plenty of caramel. Basically the same as the nose. Again, some sherry-like oxidation. Same as the nose. Would be much tastier with carbonation.

1.5 M: Heavier medium body. Not fully flat, but whatever is the lowest detectable amount In any case, it ruins whatever creaminess this had in store.

2.5 D: I think this could be a damn good beer if it was allowed to be. As it stands, it's at the lower end of average. With carbonation, I could see this easily breaking the 4s. But, I won't know tonight. I've been having nothing been trouble with b-wines from the cellar and their carbonation lately. It's starting to grow tiresome.

3.01/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

EDIT:
This breaks my heart! My top rated beer took a kick to the nuts today. On draft at HotD taproom. Butterscotch was significant. Gone was the leather and molasses, spice and other characteristics. Just a too smooth buttery feel and taste. Not a butter bomb, but enough to ruin my deep seated love :(

I"m such an A-hole I don't remember who gave this too me. It was a trade at FRTH, I know your face!! Thanks for this wonder brew

This is almost a perfect 5 for me, but I think it misses the style, probably by a lot, but it's too damn good to mark more off.

Pours a dark chestnut, almost black. Off-brown/tan head, dense, creamy, foaming up to about 2 fingers. Lacing is slick.

Great aroma. Rich and full. Dark fruits, coffee, chocolate, leather, molasses. hint of vanilla and anise. Yum

Taste is richer and fuller. Subtle at first, then the flavors hit. Wow. Leather up front, black chocolate, baked caramel, black plum. Molasses adds to the roasted malt sweetness, but the leather and some prune come in with a dash of anise to dry it out a bit. A touch of tannin. Smmmoooth. Oh my. A slightly dry finish, but mostly smooth. Alcohol is a non-factor

My first HotD beer and I'm wowed. Gonna have to hit my brother up in Washington to keep on eye out for these.

3.07/5  rDev -27.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

12 oz bottle poured into snifter

A: khaki colored off white head nice creamy looking texture. Body was brackish dark amber brown nearing black with no clairity.

S: smells like huge piney resiny hops some very light leather and oak

T: smokey huge smoke light hops

M: creamy and medium i thought it would be much thicker.

O: This is a horrible beer its smoke over plays the entire taste and the feel is is too thin and the beer completely misrepresents what you thnk. It is not a quality ba old ale it is a smoked beer that is just average.

3.07/5  rDev -27.9%

At a tasting with jrallen34.

A - Pours a dark mohagany color with pretty much know head. Looks somewhat intimidating just sitting there with litle activity, but not a whole lot going on with it.

S - A sharp, lighter sweetness with the caramel malts. Dark fruit and a surprising hops bite on the end of this. Little bit of alcohol burn on there as well.

T - Not as good as it smells. A lot of licorice and some dark fruit. Very heavy malts and something that tastes burnt, like wood or maybe even barley? Touch of brown sugar, but it's overpoweringly burnt and fairly disappointing.

M - Under carbonated, almost flat. Full bodied.

D - Hard to drink due to the pungent tastes and the high abv. Had trouble splitting the bottle.

3.09/5  rDev -27.5%

Got a bottle of batch 68 from New Beer in NYC for 4.25. The color was really interesting - very dark, but not black as a stout. More like a very dark red. you could see a brighter red tint in the light, kind of like wine. nice head that remained for a while. i couldnt get much of a smell for some reason - maybe because i was in an indian restaurant when i cracked it open. this was my first old ale and it was nothing like anything ive had before. the blurb on the bottle was spot on when it said its been compared to figs and leather. craziness..also very raisony, and some smokiness and bitter coffee beans. as complex as it was, these flavors did not all seem to mix seemlessly. it exploded in my mouth but caused some damage. shared a bottle with a nice girl and it was very hard to finish for both of us but this was probably because we had just ate a huge meal and a bottle of southampton grand cru. nevertheless i still couldnt see this one going down easy. my bottom line for this beer is that it desparately needs some age. i know HOTD does that anyway to their brews, but this one especially needs to sit in the corner and think things over for a long time. If you own or are soon going to purchase batch 68 of Adam please do yourself and the beer a favor and let it age for at least another year or two.

3.1/5  rDev -27.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

That old fetid swamp water kind of appearance, brown, plenty of solid particulate floating all over, is it yeast? Something else? Dunno, I get that its an old ale, but even for that style, this was just below average in its appearance methinks. Moving on to the aromas, you got some soaked prunes, raisins, alcohol heat, plum. You know that dark fruit bitter harsh with alcohol almost quad like thing without the yeast phenols??? Yeah that.

Kicked down sweetness unexpectedly out of nowhere on the first sip, kinda tripped me out. Didn't see that coming. The alcohol heat was immense. Brown and chocolate malt in a small way feels. Its really a beer that I prefer to have in very small quantities. I've had it numerous times now, and I think the least enjoyable was when I had all 12oz to myself, that was a chore. Now, split a bottle 4 ways, and a 3 oz pour is more of this beer's kind of jam. Its just too boozy hot for drinking solo for my tastes. Maybe if you wanna just sip one beer the entire night, then I might go for this, but otherwise, can't see repeating.

3.1/5  rDev -27.2%

Small bottle from K&L (Redwood City), poured into a snifter glass.

A: Black, or at least very, very dark brown. Creamy, tan head, with good retention.

S: Roastiness, leather, rubber.

T: Caramel, raisins, something burned that I can't quite put my finger on. There's a little sourness that shines through, which I like. A little roastiness and a bitterness remain in the aftertaste.

M: Smooth and creamy. Heavy-bodied but not a completely slow-sipper. For some reason, left me with a dry mouth... but maybe that was caused by something else.

O: Interesting and complex, but not something I'd buy again.

3.12/5  rDev -26.8%

Poured into a snifter

A - Very deep brown bordering on black, minimal head composed of big nonuniform bubbles, zero lacing.

S - Leather, magic marker, tobacco, bourbon, oak, port, figs, plums and alcohol. No trace of what I know to be hops and a bizarre characteristic from the malt that I'm not familiar with.

T - Taste is exactly like the smell: leather, magic maker, dark fruits, tobacco and bourbon. Kind of sweet but all of those flavors come through really strong.

M - Medium with zero carbonation, isn't very enticing.

D - I honestly didn't know what to expect going into this beer and I'm perplexed coming out the other side. Really overwhelming and distinct flavors coming out of this, a lot of characteristics that I would not associate with beer at all. Maybe I'm a noob and I don't know what to expect from the style but from what I've read it lives up to every aspect. If I ever have this again I'll split with at least 4 people interested in drinking a cigarette stuffed puree of Fonzie's jacket.

3.14/5  rDev -26.3%

Bought this bottle at the wonderful Pinocchio's Beer Garden. (Not aged, presumably bottled in 2010).

Appearance- Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a regular pint glass. Pours out of the bottle dark and settles in the glass dark but I didn't get any sort of head. Basically just a thick looking almost black old ale sitting in my pint glass, kind of looked flat.

Smell- Smelled highly of dark fruits. I get the most tremendous whiff of plum. Also a bit figgy and sweet. There is also the lingering smell of alcohol which is understandable with a ten percent brew.

Taste- High on the alcohol, burns a bit going down to be honest. The dark fruitiness is there but it seemed overpowered by the alcohol. It's possible that it might be a little more palatable with some time on it.

Mouthfeel- I don't think that I have a sensitive tongue or anything and I felt the burn of the alcohol while it was sitting in my mouth. I did think the thickness felt kind of ideal for an old ale though.

Drinkability- I would have a hard time drinking one of these. I would also have as hard time standing after drinking more than one of these. A little too much alcohol burn for my taste, will have to try it aged.

Adam from Hair of the Dog Brewing Company / Brewery and Tasting Room